Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ad by Khad posted:

It's all just a part of the children's card game mindgame strategy

You buy the NFT for the card that counters your deck and when someone plays it against you you inform them they are infringing your copyright and bing bing bong you win the game

Do you work for the RIAA?

2x posts and a page snipe…drat!

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

DerekSmartymans posted:

Does the NSA or FBI have the bandwidth to download the blockchain?

I hope they at least can afford the drive-space to store it or the CPU’s to set it up. Not worried because even the NSA can’t buy GPU’s. I bet the bots that buy 95% of a BB drop in a few seconds are made by nation-state bad actors. :tinfoil:

The blockchain is currently 341GB, well within consumer levels of bandwidth and storage. Which is good because the default bitcoin client requires downloading the whole thing.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

xtal posted:

The blockchain is currently 341GB, well within consumer levels of bandwidth and storage. Which is good because the default bitcoin client requires downloading the whole thing.

I know this, it was a (bit) tongue in cheek post. But you are correct. Now this is not sarcastic at all: I think the only organizations that have systems better and faster than the US government is big money players in Wall Street on the Big Pipes. Jon Stossel did an exposé on how all the “buy/sell” data is physically MitM’d by a few companies that can buy anything you buy for the same price, but add a fraction of a penny when selling it to you. Their ability is based on both real world location and processing speed, and it happens on every single trade. Sure, you can’t buy anything with 1/4 penny, but 40 gazillion 1/4 pennies is real money. I don’t know if it has ever been spoken of since Stossel left Sixty Minutes or 20/20, but I saw it on a broadcast TV report.

Imagine doing this poo poo buying graphics cards or ssd’s. Or Bitcoin. And building these exact same abilities on 6 continents.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 29, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

nomad2020 posted:

I don't understand card game cards as NFTs, more than I don't understand NFTs. I think trading cards as an investment is largely stupid but at least there's a theoretical use for the theoretical buyer for a foil black lotus card.

Sportball cards as NFTs I sort of get in the sense that buying an NFT rookie card isn't too far off from buying a physical rookie card all things considered.

The big difference is that one is a physical thing, the other isn't. There's no scarcity with digital goods, unless you think there's going to be a huge market of people wanting just that specific Ethereum coin with associated hash value in 10 years.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

I'd like to buy a graphics card. And live on a planet that still has resources left.

I'd say digital collectibles are a special brand of stupid, as there's no unique asset that can't be replicated involved. I kinda doubt a JSON file is going to hold its "value" all that well. In a F2P game, you're at least buying something you can't get any other way, a scarce digital good where the game enforces that scarcity. NFTs are literally just buying a hash value to a file that is available publicly.

NFTs are absolutely different from any other collectible, its flaws aren't equivalent at all.

The only significant difference between a digital good in a F2P game and an NFT is ownership. You still have a hash in a F2P game. The NFT flaws are that it's tied to a server/website/service- it's basically it's own form of DRM. A collectible's flaws are that it can often decay if it's physical or become lost/unavailable if it's digital. The flip side to physical collectibles is the scarcity, sure.

I've had people try to claim NFT's will reduce piracy, and I can't say I would agree - when a lot of it is people reselling bullshit and/or other people's copyrighted stuff hoping to get crypto from it.

I agree that scarcity isn't within the concept of digital anything, and that's why I'm like if you want to gently caress with NFT's, go for it. Doesn't mean I can or will, because gently caress no. I've got tiny holdings in the platforms because it grows, but I'm not diving into feelandia where you pay $80 to own a digital facsimile.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

notwithoutmyanus posted:

The only significant difference between a digital good in a F2P game and an NFT is ownership. You still have a hash in a F2P game. The NFT flaws are that it's tied to a server - it's basically it's own form of DRM. A collectible's flaws are that it can often decay if it's physical or become lost/unavailable if it's digital.

I've had people try to claim NFT's will reduce piracy, and I can't say I would agree - when a lot of it is people reselling bullshit and/or other people's copyrighted stuff hoping to get crypto from it.

I agree that scarcity isn't within the concept of digital anything, and that's why I'm like if you want to gently caress with NFT's, go for it. Doesn't mean I can or will, because gently caress no. I've got tiny holdings in the platforms because it grows, but I'm not diving into feelandia where you pay $80 to own a digital facsimile.

No, the fundamental difference between buying something as an NFT and buying in-game content is the fact you're paying for access with the latter. You're getting something you couldn't get otherwise, which isn't how an NFT works. The same with Prime Video, Netflix, etc. The access is the important part.

And no, NFTs can't reduce piracy - everybody can download the linked content without owning the NFT, which is why NFTs are useless for selling content.

And collectibles become valuable precisely because they're rare, can decay - they're physical goods. Not a hash with an URL where everybody can get a perfect replica of the content.

NFTs aren't creating scarcity for digital content at all, they're just adding an additional layer on top that's not connected to the content itself. NFTs aren't DRM, they're fundamentally unable to be DRM.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

NFTs are beanie babies.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

spunkshui posted:

NFTs are beanie babies.

At least when the beanie baby market crashed you still had a beanie baby. When NFTs crash you'll have a dead URL

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DerekSmartymans posted:

I know this, it was a (bit) tongue in cheek post. But you are correct. Now this is not sarcastic at all: I think the only organizations that have systems better and faster than the US government is big money players in Wall Street on the Big Pipes. Jon Stossel did an exposé on how all the “buy/sell” data is physically MitM’d by a few companies that can buy anything you buy for the same price, but add a fraction of a penny when selling it to you. Their ability is based on both real world location and processing speed, and it happens on every single trade. Sure, you can’t buy anything with 1/4 penny, but 40 gazillion 1/4 pennies is real money. I don’t know if it has ever been spoken of since Stossel left Sixty Minutes or 20/20, but I saw it on a broadcast TV report.

Imagine doing this poo poo buying graphics cards or ssd’s. Or Bitcoin. And building these exact same abilities on 6 continents.

PFOF is really more of a transaction fee because of the nature of brokerages and market making in general. A day trader likely lost more money to those old $10 transaction fees over the course of a single month than the value lost over their entire career from PFOF shenanigans.

Infinitely more innocuous than, say, front-running on the unregulated, unaudited, somehow completely trusted exchange that you built.

Which is, no question, why the people who run the unregulated exchanges are going to walk away with billions while everything inevitably burns down. The minute things get "bad enough" they'll just take their (well, other peoples') money and bail.

Speaking of I'm still kind of surprised they managed to get a .com TLD for the various exchanges. It just somehow seems like they should have been like "bitfinex.ru" or something

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I agree. I was a huge fan of the last thread title because it was short and perfectly described NFTs: receipt fan fiction.

As an aside, I remember someone saying something about solving math you could trade for heroin? I can’t find the note on my phone, so anybody have a link or know the original post? It was another throw away quote that was much deeper than it sounded when you think into it!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

DerekSmartymans posted:

As an aside, I remember someone saying something about solving math you could trade for heroin? I can’t find the note on my phone, so anybody have a link or know the original post? It was another throw away quote that was much deeper than it sounded when you think into it!

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
If it was rolling coal rather than just idling he'd have nailed it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

along the same lines this has been making the rounds on twitter today and i'm a little shocked it hasn't shown up here yet (sorry if it has, checked back a couple pages and didn't see it). it's even got the thread credo at the end

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 29, 2021

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

That's a lot of text.

NFTs: $100k for a pog you can't lick.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there's a lot to fit in how insanely stupid nfts are

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blunt posted:

That's a lot of text.

NFTs: $100k for a pog you stick in your butt.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cowcaster posted:

along the same lines this has been making the rounds on twitter today and i'm a little shocked it hasn't shown up here yet (sorry if it has, checked back a couple pages and didn't see it). it's even got the thread credo at the end

If only it were true

Really what it says is "jacobgalapagos owns the painting in the room next to this one" and when you ask "hey what happens if like the building gets demolished or the painting moves or the receipt moves or the closet gets refurbished" the person disappears in a cloud of methane gas

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Actual question: are NFTs completely dead now or is there still money to be made? I sell my photography (as in actual prints) and would be happy to take some money from people who see value in them. All I have to do is host the photo and sell the link as an NFT somehow, right?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
If you don't already have pogs to pay the fees to create the NFT you'll have to spend real money to buy some to do it. That's part of the grift.

There's plenty of other reasons why it's a bad idea but that's the big one you're missing in your plan there, I think.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Unless you have a buyer lined up or is connected to someone world famous, your NFT will not sell

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

ymgve posted:

Unless you have a buyer lined up or is connected to someone world famous, your NFT will not sell
This feels like horrible bragging so I apologize, but I actually have people that collect my work. I don't know if that makes a difference. I don't know what a "pog" is in this context - you mean I need crypto to setup the NFT? How much does it actually cost in fees to do setup an NFT?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
During the bubble the number was between $25 and $90 to "mint" an NFT, but that included the grift from the NFT auction site too, I think. You can Google to see what an ethereum transaction currently costs

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Andy Dufresne posted:

During the bubble the number was between $25 and $90 to "mint" an NFT, but that included the grift from the NFT auction site too, I think. You can Google to see what an ethereum transaction currently costs
Ok, thanks. I might try it out on one of my pieces if that's all I stand to lose when this invariably doesn't sell.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Please do report back!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Anyone got the current numbers on cryptocurrency energy usage? Someone on another forum I use posted about getting into crypto, I voiced some mild, nonspecific skepticism, then the Bitcoin Defender logged on and posted something about "compared to the energy banks waste..." which, from browsing these threads occasionally, really didn't pass my sniff test.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Fame Douglas posted:

No, the fundamental difference between buying something as an NFT and buying in-game content is the fact you're paying for access with the latter. You're getting something you couldn't get otherwise, which isn't how an NFT works. The same with Prime Video, Netflix, etc. The access is the important part.

And no, NFTs can't reduce piracy - everybody can download the linked content without owning the NFT, which is why NFTs are useless for selling content.

And collectibles become valuable precisely because they're rare, can decay - they're physical goods. Not a hash with an URL where everybody can get a perfect replica of the content.

NFTs aren't creating scarcity for digital content at all, they're just adding an additional layer on top that's not connected to the content itself. NFTs aren't DRM, they're fundamentally unable to be DRM.

Actually NFTs are more flexible then you are assuming and you indeed can make rare digital content / in game items. Pretty similar to CSGO skins etc, just on the blockchain and stored in your wallet rather than steam account. It's called blockchain gaming and it will be huge when a big game comes out supporting it. At the moment there's just lovely unity games.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

salt shakeup posted:

Actually NFTs are more flexible then you are assuming and you indeed can make rare digital content / in game items. Pretty similar to CSGO skins etc, just on the blockchain and stored in your wallet rather than steam account. It's called blockchain gaming and it will be huge when a big game comes out supporting it. At the moment there's just lovely unity games.

Thanks for telling me about things I already know.

No, it won't be huge because games are about making money. Supporting and implementing (which requires real work!) in-game items people bought through third-parties isn't in the game developer's interest at all. "Blockchain gaming" will never be huge, that's redditor-level among moronic ideas.

It's not similar to CS Go skins at all.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 30, 2021

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

salt shakeup posted:

What incentive does a publisher have to use a blockchain NFT system rather than their own proprietary system for managing in game item ownership?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you use the term "NFT" you can sell it for $10,000 from someone trying to launder money and nobody bats an eye

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

InternetJunky posted:

Ok, thanks. I might try it out on one of my pieces if that's all I stand to lose when this invariably doesn't sell.

Please don't! Just sell your pieces like normal and light about a quarter of a ton of coal on fire once when the piece is created and then again once per sale and you'll do the same environmental damage without enriching a chain of morons along the way. Turning into "one of those artists that sells NFTs" puts you in a lot of people's bad books.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Yes! If I were a teenage girl I would write this on my Trapper Keeper with my hand-drawn Clay Aiken will marry me one day portrait.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

imagine being the kind of loving rear end in a top hat that on the same page this is posted goes "oh hey i do art, can i still make a buck off this though?"

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Somfin posted:

Please don't! Just sell your pieces like normal and light about a quarter of a ton of coal on fire once when the piece is created and then again once per sale and you'll do the same environmental damage without enriching a chain of morons along the way. Turning into "one of those artists that sells NFTs" puts you in a lot of people's bad books.

Good point. I was already not sure I could even sell one in good conscience just due to the absurdity of the whole idea in general. Most of my customers are staunch environmentalists as well so perhaps associating myself with a driving force behind climate change is not an optimum business strategy.

Cowcaster posted:

imagine being the kind of loving rear end in a top hat that on the same page this is posted goes "oh hey i do art, can i still make a buck off this though?"

There's an entire populace of morons out there who seem eager to part with their money over NFTs. I don't think I'm an rear end in a top hat for asking if there's still money to be made off of them.

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 30, 2021

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Wait I want to hear more about blockchain gaming and how assets will magically get implemented because an NFT pointing to a JSON pointing to a website says so. I've always wanted to fly a ship from Star Citizen in World of Warcraft, surely this future is imminent once a bunch of idiots on the internet yell BLOCKCHAIN loudly enough, right?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Finally a way to get my level 100 mewtwo into Pokemon stadium

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

salt shakeup posted:

"Huzzah!" cries salt shakeup as he boldly strides into uncharted areas of stupidity.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

Anyone got the current numbers on cryptocurrency energy usage? Someone on another forum I use posted about getting into crypto, I voiced some mild, nonspecific skepticism, then the Bitcoin Defender logged on and posted something about "compared to the energy banks waste..." which, from browsing these threads occasionally, really didn't pass my sniff test.

https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-energy-consumption

Spoiler alert: It's not even close

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

InternetJunky posted:

There's an entire populace of morons out there who seem eager to part with their money over NFTs. I don't think I'm an rear end in a top hat for asking if there's still money to be made off of them.

If it were just an issue of rich idiots who are easily bamboozled by technological buzzwords with more dollars than sense, I'd say "gently caress it, get that bread." But there's the issue of "each NFT transaction uses a year's worth of household electricity" issue that puts this straight into "nope, don't bother" territory. Plus if your collectors are ecologically minded, then either they won't know what NFTs are and won't buy it, or they know exactly what they are and will shitlist you for it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

kw0134 posted:

Wait I want to hear more about blockchain gaming and how assets will magically get implemented because an NFT pointing to a JSON pointing to a website says so. I've always wanted to fly a ship from Star Citizen in World of Warcraft, surely this future is imminent once a bunch of idiots on the internet yell BLOCKCHAIN loudly enough, right?
Oh man the only thing that could make Star Citizen funnier would be selling ships as NFTs.

Wait, it's not actually funny, because there would be an environmental cost to yet another grift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

there's an xtz based nft exchange (kalamint.io) where it will cost more like 6$.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 30, 2021