Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Pirates just came across with a very intriguing offer.

They're wanting to divest themselves of Kumar Rocker. I'm not...entirely sure why.

He's making $5.3 mil this year, and has two arb years remaining. He hasn't been bad so far, but he hasn't been the superstar people predicted. His ERA has been consistently high (4.60 for his career), but he's been an absolute workhorse, and his K numbers are up significantly this year. His career BABIP is also amusingly high (316) which makes me think part of his ERA problems are due to Bad Pirate Defense, and/or some bad coaching.

They want Andres Medina(0.5/2.5) for him. He isn't anything particularly electrifying, but I guess the Pirates like him.

At the very worst we give up a B prospect for a half season of forgettable pitching and cut bait in arbitration. I'm thinking, though, that a change of scenery might just suit Kumar just fine. Plus it'd be neat to have 3 of our 5 starters from the same school I guess.

Pete is VERY high on Rocker. He'll give up his share of long balls, but has 300 K potential and who knows how much his WHIP comes down with a good defense behind him.

Anyway, this is a go, right? Any serious objections?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Hell yeah jump on that

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Thordain posted:

we are under a moral obligation to rescue good players from the Pirates.

:colbert: I stand by what I said

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thordain posted:

:colbert: I stand by what I said

an admirable principle

DONE DEAL

let's hope he goes the way of gerrit cole

edit- his first start he gave up 5 ER in 2.2 IP so

bewbies fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 29, 2021

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

rickiep00h posted:

67-24. Jesus H. Christ.

Part of me thinks blow it up end of the season but also, maybe how many can we win with this group of players?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2025 Playoffs
October 6, 2025
112-50, .691, 1st Place, NL West

League News

Mike Trout gets hit number 2k; Nolan Arenado gets dinger number 400.

Jarred Kelenic goes off in the second half and puts himself in contention for his 3rd MVP award. He powers the Royals from last to first.

37 year old Jacob DeGrom rips his flexor tendon; that may be it for his brilliant career.

Cubs dominate the NL with a 103 win season. The Tigers make the playoffs for the first time since 2014.

Team News

Emerson Hancock fucks his knee up in rehab or something; he'll miss the rest of the season. Disappointing, but it'll help keep his arbitration number down I guess.

Bobby Bats gets his second suspension for inciting a brawl this season. He's been suspended for a total of 9 games this year. The dude he took on was 6'6", 230 lbs Rockies goon Tommy Doyle, whom he rode around the infield like Wesley did with Andre the Giant.

Benny the Jet puts together a brilliant second half but will probably lose the MVP to Kelenic, again, despite a much better WAR.

We call up Nolan Schubart for his cup of coffee; we need to see if he's ready to displace Naylor as our full-time DH. I did not notice he's also a pitcher, which shows you how closely we pay attention to our scouting reports. He gets blown up in limited late-inning work.

Kumar Rocker eventually settles in and puts together a great September.

Keibert Ruiz puts together an incredible season and joins greats like Buster Posey and Joe Mauer as a catcher winning a batting title. Bad news for us though: his last arbitration year just got VERY expensive....

Wacky Jack puts together another CY caliber season, including a remarkable number of that all-important stat: pitcher wins.

We await the Tigers in the ALDS.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
man J rod can rake

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yes, but are we Winning the Right Way?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If you trade a three time MVP and win the world series in one of those years, you still won the trade, right?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Veryslightlymad posted:

If you trade a three time MVP and win the world series in one of those years, you still won the trade, right?

considering how good Robert Bats has been for us I would say so yeah

bewbies I'm curious can you post the career stats of Witt and Kelenic post trade?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2025 ALDS: Mariners vs Tigers

Game 2 Highlights

IcePhoenix posted:

bewbies I'm curious can you post the career stats of Witt and Kelenic post trade?

yessir

I feel like this is one of those things they'd discuss endlessly on Baseball Tonight, or whatever the modern equivalent is of Baseball Tonight.

I think Kelenic has been the better player, but the Royals are looking very likely to lose him to free agency at the end of next year thanks to (checks notes) Adalberto Mondesi's 7 year/$164 million deal. Meanwhile, we have Bats locked up at $21m per for his entire prime which is one hell of a deal.

Also of the 5 add-in players from the deal, only one (Austin Cox) made the big leagues, as a bad lefty reliever for the Rockies and Indians.

\/\/ fixed!

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 30, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

that youtube link isn't going where you think it is

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2025 ALCS: Mariners vs Yankees

(honestly none of these games were terribly exciting but if anyone wants highlights of one let me know)

The Yanks went on to win it all. They might be the oldest World Series winning team I've ever seen in a standard OOTP game. Also lol @ Yankees beating the Mariners, again. The universe was set right after last season.

The Yanks normal lineup:

Christian Vazquez, 35
Luke Voit, 34
DJLM, 37
Miguel Andujar, 30
Jose Ramirez, 33
Gleyber Torres, 28
Raimfer Salinas, 24
Manny Margo, 31
GC Stanton, 36

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 30, 2021

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
The goddamn Yankees

I suspect Benny may struggle to win an MVP in his career with his OPS projection. Near as I can tell the weighting of importance for MVP is roughly:
Best OPS - highest WAR - most home runs ----massive gap---- dominant pitcher.

The only pitcher I've ever seen win an MVP award did it when no position player came within 5 WAR of him.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hmmm. Decisions this year.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Offseason 2025-2026

Following that wet fart of an ALCS, John Stanton is waiting for us in the hallway to our office.

He says nothing, just gives us a piece of paper that says "$223,816,350" on it. Our payroll from last season. Mr. Stanton, it seems, is displeased with the return on his investment.

...we may be in a bit of a budget pickle this offseason...

Team News

Bennie and Bobby win their now-standard Gold Gloves.

Brett De Geus finishes 3rd in reliever of the year.

Keibert Ruiz and J-Rod win Silver Sluggers.

Wacky Jack wins his second Cy Young. Gilbert finishes second, and Hliboki third. Behind that, the White Sox are 4-5-6.

Benny finishes 5th in MVP voting, because god hates shortstops.

We don't have anything notable in arbitration, and we can't afford and QOs, so...

A few days after World Series ends, Mariners ownership announces a stadium renovation (mostly taxpayer-funded) that will be executed this offseason. We have some input into the changes; specifically, we can alter some of the dimensions of the park and potentially change the way baseball is played there.

Our options are:

1) Keep it more or less as-is: one of the most pitcher-friendly parks in the game. Seating area expanded a bit, but not much.
2) Lopside it. Bring one foulpole and power alley in a bit, to give hitters going to that field a better chance of hitting it out (and demanding less of the outfielder in that field)
3) Bandbox it. Move the walls in some, shrink the outfield, increase offense and expand the seating area even more.
4) Expand it. Make it even more pitcher and fast-outfielder friendly while losing some seats.
5) Normalize it. Make it pretty much even to all fields and about average by ML standards.

Finances

As you can see, we are WAAAAY over-budget. Before we'll have a dime to spend this year, we'll have to cut between $20 and $30 mil in salary. If we want any real budget room, we'll have to cut more like $40 mil.

Hard choices inbound...

Yearly Priorities

From where I sit, John seemed...pissed. We're looking at a big payroll cut; that's going to dominate our offseason. As we cut payroll, we're gonna have to backfill plenty of spots from...somewhere or other. Anyway, if we're going to have to do at least a mini-teardown and potentially restructure our ballpark, probably time to revisit our 3 Year Strategy. Remember this stuff? If we want to make any changes, now is definitely the time...

(vote on strategy below)

Roster Moves

We actually have several youngsters who are probably ready for the bigs; SPs Mason Thompson and Cole Dale and OFs Mario Zabala and Jace Bohrofen. Keep these kids in mind when deciding who we might trade away.

Trades

AHEM

We have some work to do here. Mainly, pruning tens of millions in salary. Owner says it is to help fund the stadium renovations, but those are being paid for with local "school taxes" (the county levies taxes on schools in order to fund pro sports teams) so I don't know what he's talking about.

Taylor Trammell is probably as good as gone; he's declined the last three seasons, we have a ready replacement, and he costs a fortune. His trade value will be minimal but we can get his deal off the books.

Keibert Ruiz is much, much tougher. I'd rather not lose him for nothing, but we won't be able to extend him unless we cut a ton of cash out of the budget. This one will be a tough call -- expect his extension demands to land somewhere in the 5 years / $20m AAV range...which is a super bargain for a player of his caliber...provided we can afford it.

Alex Kirilloff is one of those guys you hate to lose. He's been nothing but solid for us and doesn't cost that much, but he costs enough that trading him is an attractive option considering we have a couple ready replacements behind him.

Tyler Mahle probably has to go, but he'll take a sweetener of some sort to offload (most likely).

Kyle Lewis is a very tough call. He's also been nothing but great for us, is super popular, and has a rare and valuable skill set. Plus, he doesn't make that much. But, we have a couple of borderline free young guys who can step in at CF this year....

Andres Munoz had a tough year, but Pete still thinks he's an elite reliever. $8m is a bargain if he returns to form, but is a huge waste if he doesn't.

You all can see these guys' salaries, and you know how much we have to cut. Get to work.

VOTE

Ballpark Renovations

1) As is
2) Lopsided (say which field is the short porch)
3) Bandbox
4) Expand
5) Normalize

3 Year Strategy Items

Player Acquisition
1) Build through prospects. Try and acquire as many highly regarded young players as we can, develop them, and build around them. Example: Padres
2) Trash Heap Players: Try and find inexpensive, undervalued players through trades, Rule 5, and free agency. Example: Rays
3) Veteran Trades: teams nowadays often want to unload good but expensive veteran players still in their prime years to save some bucks. Example: Cardinals
4) Free Agents: Each offseason, try to fill gaps with unrestricted free agents. Example: Yankees

Competitiveness
1) Try to put the best team we can out on a yearly basis until the wheels fall off.
2) Admit we're going to take a step back this year, and be more aggressive in trading for and playing developmental players.

Scouting Priorities. Tell Pete where to start.
1) Hitting
2) Pitching

Hitting tools (prioritize two):
1) Power
2) Contact
3) Eye
4) Defense
5) Speed

Pitching tools (prioritize one):
1) Velocity
2) Control
3) Movement

Pitchers:
1) Starters
2) Relievers

Trades

Trammell
Ruiz
Kirilloff
Mahle
Lewis
Munoz

Extensions

If we save enough, we could look at Logan Gilbert or Keibert Ruiz, but we'll have to trim the fat big time everywhere.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 30, 2021

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Bandbox that park.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So I take it that extending Gilbert early was never an option. C'est la vie.

Keep the stadium close to how it is. It's ideal for how we play, and even with high roster turnover, there's no sense in changing up our pitching, as our best one is locked up long term.

Development of prospects
Never. Ever. Tank.

Emphasize hitting.

Contact and defense.
Movement.

For the never tank, if you want to cut a bunch of salary and give experience to the most promising prospects, that's fine. But saying "guess we lose" before the season starts is dumb.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Veryslightlymad posted:

Keep the stadium close to how it is. It's ideal for how we play, and even with high roster turnover, there's no sense in changing up our pitching, as our best one is locked up long term.

Development of prospects
Never. Ever. Tank.

Emphasize hitting.

Contact and defense.
Movement.

For the never tank, if you want to cut a bunch of salary and give experience to the most promising prospects, that's fine. But saying "guess we lose" before the season starts is dumb.

this is all good

also I'm interested in what the return would be on each of the guys we need to choose from is

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

bewbies posted:

VOTE

Ballpark Renovations

1) As is

3 Year Strategy Items

Player Acquisition
1) Build through prospects. Try and acquire as many highly regarded young players as we can, develop them, and build around them. Example: Padres

Competitiveness
1) Try to put the best team we can out on a yearly basis until the wheels fall off.

1) Hitting

2) Contact
4) Defense

2) Control
3) Movement

Pitchers:
2) Relievers

Trades

Trammell - Still putting up 4.2 WAR despite a declining bat, but probably not for much longer.
Mahle
Munoz

Extensions

If we save enough, we could look at Logan Gilbert or Keibert Ruiz, but we'll have to trim the fat big time everywhere.

If we can extend them, it would be good to do so!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

VOTE

Ballpark Renovations

1) As is

3 Year Strategy Items

Player Acquisition
1) Build through prospects.
2) Trash Heap Players

Competitiveness

2) Pitching

4) Defense
5) Speed

2) Control
3) Movement

Pitchers:
no preference

Trades

Trammell
Ruiz

[/quote]

Let Lewis finish out his contract, then let him walk unless the owner gets lovely about him, imo. Otherwise I'm basically of the opinion that we can keep moving in the direction we're moving. Pete seems to find some good trash. Our bread and butter has been pitching, and we still have our core hitters for a while. I don't see any reason to upset the apple cart. I do find it odd that this year we seem to have been done in by our starters, who were lights-out, while our big playoff missteps the last couple seasons were from relievers. Whatever it is, I feel like pitching is, as always, going to be the thing that wins championships.

Also, if we can somehow extend Gilby for, like, less than he's worth, maybe go that route, but I have a feeling we're gonna be feeling the crunch with two Gold Glove infielders and a perennial CY candidate on the roster anyway. But we'll just have to see what we can do with what we have and what Pete digs up.

------

Also, bewbies, thanks for running this. OOTP is a pain in the rear end, especially if you're micromanaging and running reports and all that. These are always some of my most-anticipated threads/posts.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Agreed. Doing the NBA2K one, I know how much work goes into these, even outside what you post.

I'd like to continue that one day when I am not working 50 hour weeks.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

There's not an OOTP thread besides this one, is there? I'm a newer player and I have many questions.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

LiterallyATomato posted:

There's not an OOTP thread besides this one, is there? I'm a newer player and I have many questions.

There is, but it hasn't seen action for almost two years. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3886251

Last post by our own IcePhoenix

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

There is, but it hasn't seen action for almost two years. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3886251

Last post by our own IcePhoenix

the perfect post to kill the thread since it's what killed the game (for me)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

the perfect post to kill the thread since it's what killed the game (for me)

I don't even remember the last version I have. It's installed, I've just never played it. XD

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Blow it all up let's win using 2 outcome hitters and fireball K machines.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

:yeshaha:
Bandbox to get more seats that will bring in more revenue!

I'm getting a megayacht!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Veryslightlymad posted:

We've actually tried to squeeze him in each of the last two years, but mega-extensions for higher priority players always took our budget away before we could get to him. He's a Really Good goddamn player though...he's given us four fantastic seasons.

rickiep00h posted:

Also, bewbies, thanks for running this. OOTP is a pain in the rear end, especially if you're micromanaging and running reports and all that. These are always some of my most-anticipated threads/posts.

My pleasure! I enjoy doing these things because it becomes less about min-maxing and more about doing semi-realistic things with imperfect information, so it makes me play the game very differently from how I would on my own.

LiterallyATomato posted:

I think there are a bunch of OOTP vets in here -- I'd say just ask away in this thread unless there's another hiding around the forums.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Got some trade options for you, kid.

Taylor Trammell actually has more interest than I thought he'd have.

- Kaden Moeller (2.5/3.5) is a huge bat in a slender frame (6'1 185) that the Yankees seem to be giving up on after half a season. He's still not even to one year of TC; I see a line like 250/350/550 no problem, with room to grow. He's a straight replacement for Naylor at DH and can play competent 1B also.

- Ludwin Jiminez (2.5/3.5 also has only a few months of ML service and is a solid looking RHP. He works mainly fastball-changeup and isn't really a strikeout guy, but gets a lot of ground balls and keeps it in the park. I'm not really sure why the Cardinals are offloading him either.

- Alejandro Osuna (2.5/3.0) just finished his first season and was...alright. He looks like an 800-850 OPS guy with a decent COF glove. Nothing electrifying, but you can always use a guy like that and he's virtually no-risk.

- Dan Susac (2.0/3.0 is a solid young catcher; good behind the plate with a decent arm, and might OPS 800 eventually. Of note as he's a switch hitter; good defensive catchers who are also switchies are kind of...rare.

Keibert Ruiz brings in a lot of the same offers as Trammell. Almost exactly the same, as it happens. Their trade value is close to identical.

Alex Kirilloff brings in a lower tier of offers; he'd basically bring back a B prospect or...Kaden Moeller, who the Yankees seem obsessed with divesting for some reason.

Tyler Mahle brings back nothing of value, but we can still trade him away if we include a prospect or two as a sweetener.

Kyle Lewis of all people generates the most trade interest. All of the above guys, plus:

- Brayan Bello (4.5/4.5) is an elite arm out of the pen who also has some SP potential, but he only has 2 years of TC left.

- Carlos Duran (2.5/3.0 is a gigantic pitcher with a superby heater and wipeout curve. At minimum he looks like an elite bullpen arm; if his changeup develops he could be a plus starter. In pre-arb.

- Alex Mooney (2.5/3.0} is a plus-plus infield glove that can play anywhere at hit competently. Projects like a super utility guy, which we could use.

I also have a another potential other trade target for us:

Kimble Schuessler (2.5/3.5) is a ML-ready catcher we could snag for a couple B prospects. He's a downgrade from Ruiz -- especially his pitch framing and game-calling -- but his bat is at least as good if not better. If we're planning to move on from Ruiz, this guy is a good place to start.

And there's an interesting free agent:

Usaburo "Sinner" Konishi (5.0/5.0) is the greatest reliever in NPB history, and he's bringing his show to North America. He basically works only off one of the world's best fastballs and the occasional curve, and he projects straightaway as one of the best relievers in baseball. We have NO room for free agents as it stands, but this guy wants around $8m a year -- which is a bargain. If we can clear enough salary, do we want to go after SINNER?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Are any of these guys especially good at avoiding K's? I'd love to see us put together a team that has no one over 100 Ks in a full season of AB. It'd be a challenge, though.

We are all but poor SINNERS - I'm OK with you spending money on a premier Japanese import.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ok, on the offseason votes more fully:

Ballpark Renovations
3) Bandbox

3 Year Strategy Items

Player Acquisition
2) Trash Heap Players: Try and find inexpensive, undervalued players through trades, Rule 5, and free agency. Example: Rays

Competitiveness
2) But not to the point of tanking!

Scouting Priorities
1) Hitting

2) Contact
X) Avoid K's

2) Control

Pitchers:
1) Starters

Extensions
Keibert Ruiz doesn't strike out, and I like that. If we can trim the budget, extending him is OK.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kirilloff for Moeller

Trammell for Susac

Ruiz for Jiminez

I would LOVE Sinner if we have room.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
I love ootp and you're doing good work bewbies

i play this game way too much.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

We must have SINNER

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Trammell and Ruiz for Susac and Jimenez
Kiriloff for Moeller

Get rid of Mahle

We have reached heaven and now we must be Sinners

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

rickiep00h posted:

Kirilloff for Moeller

Trammell for Susac

Ruiz for Jiminez

I would LOVE Sinner if we have room.

This seems fairly on the ball.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We send off Trammell for Kaden Moeller and get them to toss in Montana Simmel as a kicker; he's a pre-arb guy who looks like a decent enough bullpen arm for the future.

Kirilloff goes off for Daniel Susac.

Ludwin Jiminez comes over for Keibert Ruiz; they ask for old Ty Black as a kicker. Alright.

Finally, we send away almost $30 million worth of pitching to the drat Yankees, in the form of Mahle, Joey Gerber, Danny Arteaga, and Andres Munoz. It represents a back end starter and three solid bullpen arms, but Pete is convinced that Munoz is cooked, and Arteaga never really reached his full potential. Gerber is a big loss, but he was necessary to make the deal go through.

That clears close to $75 milllion in salary, probably enough to make at least a down payment on a superyacht. Our fan interest drops quite a bit, but that's to be expected.

The first thing we do with our new reverse windfall is go sign Logan Gilbert to his long-awaited extension. After our sincere apology, things go smoothly: 5 years, $95 mil, with the last year a TO.

Next, we go snag Kimble Schuessler to compete for our now-open catcher spot next season. We send back a C prospect and a couple of now-irrelevant 1B prospects (including the never-was legend Blaze Jordan).

After that, we get an offer for Erik Rivera (2.5/3.5), who is a decent enough RP, but is also LEFT HANDED, which we could use following the end of the Darwinzon Hernandez Experience. We give up a B prospect for him in Tyler Misla. Rivera is pretty exciting...he can throw a cutter over 100 mph...looks like he washed out as a hitter in the minors and came lately to pitching.

Finally, we sign SINNER to an incredibly reasonable 5/35 contract, with a TO in the last year.

We...may have underestimated his popularity in his homeland:

Enter: the nastiest fastball on the planet.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So does this come with like, uh, any merchandising benefit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think we know how he got his nickname now