Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Alright, I'm going to say it, I hate to admit it but I can't be silent about it anymore.

New Nancy is wearing really thin.

I like the goofy stuff like "Nancy is a vampire." That's great! But 99% of Nancy strips now are people having a conversation where one says "I think [thing] is good" and the last panel is the other person going "Actually I secretly think [thing] is bad!" or a character saying "I think people who do [thing] are bad *immediately does thing*." It's just kind of tiresome, and it being in this thread alongside Bushmiller Nancy just makes it really glaring how dull it is.
I agree. Olivia does the same joke over and over. It's predictable and boring, and the little flashes of funny strips are too few and far between the boring ones.

I won't call it a bad strip, but it's not one I care much about. It's just bland.

Vargo posted:

Honestly, it's one of those things where Nancy would be your favorite strip if you weren't a freak weirdo like us who read it every single day. When you only see those "thing good/thing bad" strips reposted or shared around, you think it's worth a chuckle or a #relatable, and then you're good to go. Seeing it all the time, you see the repetitive nature and then, yeah, skip it if you see :words:
I think this is true too though.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Like others, I am having trouble seeing the Trails as the good people here. I also don't care about an HOA landscaping dispute.

Mary Worth

Man, finish the conversation before you start chowing down.

The Phantom

She stole my joke from yesterday!

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Now that's clever.

Could have worked in a Nancy strip. Just saying.

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I don't want this lost at the bottom of the page.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

hey girl you think you got enough milk

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

How Wonderful! posted:

Just a head's up, I just got my second Moderna shot and will be traveling for house renovations next week, along with a ton of finals grading. I will try to stay on top of things and of course remember to pack my Bechdel stuff with me, but I might end up being asleep for 48 hours or getting trapped inside drywall or something for a little while, who knows.
For the love of god, HW!

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Man, finish the conversation before you start chowing down.
Drew doesn't appear to give a single gently caress about this conversation or Ashlee. So I'm just waiting for this turning into a I Fell For Someone Today plot.

2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Thanks I hate it

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 24, 1944)

Val.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Samovar posted:

A MILILF?

(sorry, sorry. That was terrible. Good God what's wrong with me)

lol gross, thanks.

Huxley posted:

If it makes you feel any better, your spouse probably thinks the same thing about your parent who matches your gender.

We talked about it, and now we’re leaving each other for each other’s mothers.

Classic Zits

Shoes Big

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

JethroMcB posted:

There's still gold there from time to time, I liked that recent Sunday strip where Fritzi changed her alarm clock noise to nature sounds, making the actual natural world unbearable in the process.

The Sunday ones are usually pretty good, I guess having more panels forces Olivia to actually put in effort for a gag since she can't just do 3 or 4 panels of people talking. I just wish we got more stuff like Nancy with the "MY OPINIONS ARE GOOD" sign rather than just a smug "Heh, that sure showed that idiot" or "I am mad about [THING]" final panel like it seems most of the current weekday ones do. I won't say I hate it, because it isn't terrible like Luann or anything, it's just repetitive.

That said, it is still absolutely, without question, better than Gilchrist Nancy.

curtadams posted:

But then, I don't expect *any* strip to be funny ever day.

I expect Wallace to be funny every day.

And it is.

It might have been mentioned when it first started getting posted and it's apparently escaped my notice this entire time but holy poo poo I just realized this strip is drawn by Frank Bolle! That dude apparently got around in newspaper comics.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Gunther in Luann is pretty much the only one from that class that is allowed to be in a relationship but none of the rest are playing the field.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Twelve by Pies posted:

It might have been mentioned when it first started getting posted and it's apparently escaped my notice this entire time but holy poo poo I just realized this strip is drawn by Frank Bolle! That dude apparently got around in newspaper comics.

Oh poo poo, you're right!

Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Nov. 3rd, 1940

Axa

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh wow I didn't notice that!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 1/7-9/43

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

This whole time I thought Axa was always waking up nude because she was banging people but it turns out that's just how she rolls.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

catlord posted:

Oh poo poo, you're right!

Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Nov. 3rd, 1940

Axa

I am very glad Axa is now with Robot Mark, her one true love. But I will never stop laughing at Jorge and Jarge.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (May 4, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 28, 1918)

Banana Oil! (March 6, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (June 17, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (November 16, 1935)

Mopsy (January 16, 1937)

Dark Laughter (June 2, 1945)

Those Were the Days (January 29, 1953)

Wee Pals (August 6, 1965)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Sorry for the scan quality. I thought it would get better the further into the book I got, but it seems to be getting worse, and I don't want to kill the binding.

Anyway:

E: A little better

manero fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 30, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Sep 5-7, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 6-9, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (September 27, 1933)

Peanuts (May 2, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft stuns his co-workers by being a proper human being.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 29, 1937)

Out Our Way (July 13-15, 1936; spoilered for the usual reasons.)

Toonerville Folks (July 16-18, 1917)

Dok's "Ham Without A Country" Duck (August 2, 1913)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 30, 2021

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I don't think Watterson ever wrote anything as good as this arc again. The vulnerability that Dad shows here is perfectly depicted.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

I hope this ends with someone telling him "You know, you can buy new a portable CD player for under $20, and they come with headphones."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set doesn't like wasting food.

Working Daze yeah I have no loving idea.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is cruel to be kind.

Cul De Sac something something socks in the dryer.

I love Petey's expression in the last panel.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Hey is there an imgur album of the Qrais comics that have been posted here?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I found my new band name

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

All of Q'rais' comics are available at his website http://qrais.blog.jp/!

I have all of the ones I've translated in one big album for sorting but if I share the album then I can't continue to upload to it and I've never gotten around to splitting them out because if I do it by year then I need to actually finish doing all of them, and oh god, I still have to scan the next Bogor book.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (January 29, 1953)

Okay, this one ain't the worst.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

I gotta give this AA group's members credit for their will power because listening to this blowhard natter on week after week about the superiority of his generation's cd players or pizza or comics or whatever would drive me to drink. What does any of this even have to do with Funky's alcoholism?

Speaking of irritating assholes in love with the sound of their own voices...

At what point in your average psych program do they tell you not to diagnose people who aren't your patients?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Ghostlight posted:

All of Q'rais' comics are available at his website http://qrais.blog.jp/!

I have all of the ones I've translated in one big album for sorting but if I share the album then I can't continue to upload to it and I've never gotten around to splitting them out because if I do it by year then I need to actually finish doing all of them, and oh god, I still have to scan the next Bogor book.

Thank you :)

I'll have to look into getting some of the physical books in the house also!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's delayed and hopefully not with some untranslated Swedish like there was in last time's Blueberry, thank heavens I noticed: Blueberry! What do your eagle eyes see?, or O'Reilly cottons on, or I know they say 'Better late than never', but now's not really the time to put that to the test

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Imagine being in Funky's AA meetings and having this boring rear end in a top hat just drone on and one, pausing for a tired, smug quip every few sentences.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

It's amazing how Lynn can be correct here, in that it's good for schools to offer safety lessons for young drivers, yet the utter misery of Michael in the panels and the weird shift into parent-martyrdom in the punchline still make her opinion read as utterly hate-able.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

When I saw this, I checked Ebay and there were 1,469 Discmans being offered for sale. Presumably millions still in working order, even if they mostly sit in closets and attics.

IOW, Batuik is upholding his usual standards for realism and accuracy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Some time ago Techmoan on youtube showed off a lot of like 50-60 MiniDisc players he bought online and also that there were lots of 100 or 200 players available as well, I imagine it's much the same with discmen.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

This doesn't really make any sense, just checked that you can even buy new cassette players. Maybe funky is really anal and has to have Sony Discman with those airplane twin plug headphone ports or something.
Just looked it up and even the portable 8 tracks had 3.5mm plug. Make it Edison wax cylinder player with listening tubes, then we are talking!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
You can get a Sony discman on eBay for like $20

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (January 15-21, 2001)

The next-to-last strip is, of course, a reference to G.W.Bush, who (in)famously stole the 2000 presidential election thanks to the butterfly ballot causing confusion for some Florida voters, which resulted in miscounted and ambiguous votes, leading to a recount which was halted by the (Republican-majority) Supreme Court in a 5-4 decision, giving Bush the win.

That aside, I have no idea what is going on with Angelique's face in the fifth strip.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

Like others, I am having trouble seeing the Trails as the good people here. I also don't care about an HOA landscaping dispute.

I just don't even. gently caress the HOA.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/29/01

Brenda Starr 5/16-18/46

A couple things to note:

1) Brenda actually did her job this time -- first calling in the story and then going to the office to type it up. Baby steps!
2) Tom's marriage to Slim is still weird but he's being remarkably not an rear end in a top hat about any of this.

Smokey Stover 11/3/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "36 - Jucika's Heating Test"

"Jucika and the Robot Man"