Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Arzaac posted:

110 seems quite promising; we don't know what that rock does yet, after all. Though, I guess it might be a necrorock that kills whoever touches it or something.

Reference 110 posted:

You have chosen a crystal club. It is not valuable but, to your way of thinking, it is a beautiful trophy. However, it is quite brittle. If at some time in the future you wish to use it in a battle, turn to reference 333 to find out what happens. But you must remember the number of the reference you are on at the time you choose to use the club, so you may return there afterwards. Now leave the chamber and turn to 257 to continue your journey.

So what does it do?

Reference 333 posted:

You grasp your crystal club and swing it at your opponent's head. To your amazement the club seems to take on a will of its own! As your opponent ducks, the club follows his movements and comes down heavily on his skull. The force of the blow shatters the club, which now lies in fragments on the floor. But the blow was sufficient to slay your opponent outright. You have won this battle, but you have lost your club. Return to the previous reference and carry on.

Well, that'd be useful for a legit run, I guess. Our number of new states is now 128. (Anywhere we could have had the spiked shield, we can now have the crystal club instead.) So pick again!

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Okay, that feels useful I think? At the very least, I feel like the book's more likely to have an enemy unbeatable without the crystal club, vs a door that kills you if you take any stamina damage from it.

I guess I'm thinking 241. With the pendant, club, gift of language, and the note.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
77, turn west with bracelets.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I mean, we could try taking the gold coins instead of the pendant or bracers, but that doesn't feel likely to be useful. We could try eating the human corpse instead of the manic beast corpse, but that's also likely to send us back to 293. We could try fighting the Rock Demon, but that's probably going to filter back to 450 anyway.

So... looking at the state map I've compiled, 241 looks to be the only likely path forward. With the Gift of Language, With the Pendant, With the Crystal Club, With the note to pass to Legionnaire 29.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Arzaac posted:

I guess I'm thinking 241. With the pendant, club, gift of language, and the note.

Right. Lemme just plug that state into the system...

Reference 241 posted:

As soon as you enter the room, two Blood Orcs - warty creatures with powerful jaws and piercing front teeth - get up from a table and grab their swords. A voice is coming from behind them and you look up to see an elderly human with dirty robes and a long white beard groping the air in front of him and calling out: "Who is it? What is happening? What has disturbed us? Please, god, release this black eye curse!" You must resolve your fight with the Blood Orcs, who are now upon you. They both attack together:

SKILL  STAMINA
First BLOOD ORC     7       7
Second BLOOD ORC    8       7

If you defeat them, turn to 7.

Reference 7 posted:

With the lifeless Blood Orcs lying at your feet, your attentions now turn to the human in the dirty robes. He is staggering about in fear for his life, his eyes tilted slightly towards the ceiling. "Have mercy on a blind man, whoever you are. If you are friend, then lead me from this place. If you are foe, then leave me be. You are strangely silent. Who are you? Do you understand me? My god, intruder! If your plan is to do away with me then do it quickly. Otherwise be off with you." If you can understand the human turn to reference two hundred. "So what is it to be? Is not my misery enough? Show charity. Give me gold and feed me. Or leave me be." What do you wish to do with this creature? Will you ignore him and feast on the meat of the Blood Orcs (turn to 420)? Will you slay him quickly to stop his noise (turn to 25)? Or will you simply leave the room (turn to 138)?

Reference 200 posted:

The old man offers to help you if you will lead him out of the dungeon. "My name, if you wish to know it, is Hannicus. I know much of what goes on here," he starts, "for I was the keeper of these dungeons before Zharradan Marr decided that an undead would be more ruthless than an ageing wizard and gave that damned Darramouss - curse his soul - my position. The only reward for thirty-six years' service was my black-eye curse and a future as a plaything to be held captive at Darramouss's pleasure." All this is interesting to you and you allow him to continue. "I can lead you straight to the undead keeper if you will lead me - if you see what I mean. We must travel east until we reach the lair of the Chattermatter. But ignore his prattle, for he seeks only to feed on your flesh. North then we must travel to reach Darramouss. I can help you slay him, with this!" From inside his robes, he pulls a silver ring which has a large bulbous stone set in it. He walks over to you and gropes for your hand, finding it eventually. "Look, this ring will fit any finger - even yours. There! When you meet Darramouss, smash the stone into the wall. It will break and release a deadly gas - deadly, that is, to the undead Half-Elf. It will not harm humans and will no doubt have no effect on you." Add 2 LUCK points for this information. You look at the ring on your finger admiringly. The human is asking for it back. Will you give it to him? If so, turn to 159. If not, turn to 360.

Two questions: one, how do a blind man and a mute creature communicate? Two, why is he asking for the ring back right after telling us to use it against Darramouss?

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 1, 2021

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

it's our ring now, dweeb

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Give it back. Be nice to the blind old man and remember he is a wizard; no knowing what kind of poo poo he could pull when he's truly scared and not just faking it like earlier. I assume he was faking it earlier. You can't trust wizards. Cowards, the lot of them.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

ArchWizard posted:

Give it back. Be nice to the blind old man and remember he is a wizard; no knowing what kind of poo poo he could pull when he's truly scared and not just faking it like earlier. I assume he was faking it earlier. You can't trust wizards. Cowards, the lot of them.

Reference 159 posted:

You allow him to take the ring and he steps back towards the wall. You have found the conversation interesting, but now you are anxious to move on. Turn to 138.

Reference 138 posted:

You turn south outside the door and head down to the next door. There is no other way onwards. You open the door. Turn to 15.

Weird that he'd explain his master plan, then be all 'wait no' and take his ring back. At any rate, we've been to 15 before; it's the room with the coffins. From here, our new options are 249 (eating the human in the room with the Manic Beast) or 327 (fighting the Rock Demon instead of fleeing). In both cases, we can be there with or without the curse of 219; otherwise we have the gift of language, the message for Legionnaire 29, the crystal club, and the activated pendant.

So. Eat the human or fight the demon?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Demon fight, demon fight!!!

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Tussle with demons.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Tussle with demons.

You got it!

Reference 327 posted:

As the Demon advances, you stand your ground and prepare to attack. When it is almost upon you, you swing your fist into its chest. Your fist passes right through! You swing again, and the same thing happens. You step forward into the creature and thrash with both hands. Your hands touch nothing, but your foot comes down on a small, soft object which seems to try to pull away but quickly goes still. As this happens, the huge shape of the Rock Demon fades. You lift your foot to reveal a dead mouse, upon which the Illusion spell had been cast.

You are still unsure of what has happened, but the danger has now passed and you may now:
  • Return your attentions to the parchment. Turn to 192.
  • Leave through the door in the east wall. Turn to 365.
  • Leave through the door in the south wall, through which you entered. Turn to 450.

So now we can examine the parchment...

Reference 192 posted:

Once more you pick up the parchment and stare at it. The writing is not neat, but you can just about make out the following message:

"Biography of Z. Marr, page ninety three: ... thus came Marr to abandon the physical world and take refuge in his own. A strange netherworld which occupies no space in the world we mortals know. A world of illusion in which where he appears to be he is not. And a world in which those searching for him would instead find themselves. He has but one weakness in his new world and that is a crystal club which may be used to destroy forever the gateway between our world and his." If at some time in the future you believe you have located the entrance to Marr's netherworld, deduct the page number above from the reference you are on at the time and turn to this reference. If you are correct, you will meet the necromancer. For having the good fortune to find this parchment, you may restore your LUCK score to its Initial level.

After you have studied it for some time, you leave the room. Will you:
  • Leave through the door in the east wall? Turn to 365.
  • Leave through the door in the south wall? Turn to 450.

...and get a very important clue!

From here, there's only one new place we can go: eating the human by the Manic Beast on 249.

Reference 249 posted:

You tuck into your meal. The meat is rather tough, as it is no doubt several days old. But while you are eating, something catches your attention. Tied around the human's waist you find a small leather pouch which contains 2 Gold Pieces. You may take these with you; and you gain 4 STAMINA points from the meal. Your attention is also captured by two glass flasks lying by the side of the unfortunate human. Though they have been battered in the struggle, they are not broken and each contains a coloured liquid. If you would like to drink the green liquid, turn to 318. If you would prefer to drink the blue liquid, turn to 350. If you wish to drink neither, you may continue by turning to 293.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Green is the color of stamina. And also poison but how likely is that.

Chug green liquids.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Green is the color of stamina. And also poison but how likely is that.

Chug green liquids.

Reference 318 posted:

You put the bottle to your mouth and gulp down the liquid. Almost immediately, you begin to feel strength flowing through your body. You have discovered and drunk a Potion of Strength, and it takes effect quickly. You may restore your STAMINA to its Initial level. Now continue by turning to 293.

Not the best of news, but it could have been worse. How?

Reference 350 posted:

The blue liquid smells sweet and you sip down the contents of the flask. There is no noticeable effect. But the effects of the Potion of Fear you have just drunk will not be revealed until you enter your next battle. When you do so, you will feel strangely afraid of your opponent and you will never again be able to use the Instant Death rule, unless you find someone who has the power to remove curses. Continue by turning to 293.

So we can't get anywhere new from here. Well, where can we get somewhere new from? Let's take a look at the list and eliminate some unlikely candidates.

Taking the gold pieces instead of the pendant or bracelets...

Reference 412 posted:

You pull at the pouch. As it opens, the twelve discs tumble to the floor. You mutter in annoyance and grovel on the ground to pick up those you can still see in the dim light. Roll two dice. This is the number of discs you manage to find. They are, in fact, Gold Pieces and they may well be useful to you later. Add 1 LUCK point for your find. Turn to 115.

... doesn't help at all. What about waiting to see what the warrior and fighter (the ones carrying the vapour of tongues) do instead of immediately attacking them?

Reference 432 posted:

They seem reluctant to advance towards you. Your size and your angry snarl must be daunting to them. They mumble something to each other and turn round. They have decided to leave you and are retracing their steps. Their glowstone goes out and you lose sight of them. You may now continue safely. Turn to 137.

That doesn't help either. Well, what if we kill them and search their bodies instead of the sack?

Reference 187 posted:

The second adventurer carried, around his waist, a short wooden shaft with a two-edged metal plate on the end. You pick up this axe and turn it over in your hands inquisitively. Grasping the shaft awkwardly, you raise it over your head and bring it down on a rock by your side. The rock shatters. But unfortunately the shaft also breaks and the metal head goes skidding along the corridor away from you. As if in response, a glowstone suddenly lights in the passageway ahead! A tiny face pokes round the bend and surveys the scene. You see the face only for a moment, but the effect is immediate. Turn to 403.

We haven't been to 403 yet, but let's check what happens if we eat them first.

Reference 223 posted:

The bodies are a little scrawny, but still provide welcome food. You may gain 4 STAMINA points for your meal. While you were eating, you also poked through the bodies of the adventurers, but found nothing of particular importance. Suddenly, a glowstone lights in the passageway ahead of you! A tiny face pokes round the bend and surveys the scene. You see the face only for a moment, but its effect is immediate. Turn to 403.

Reference 403 posted:

The tiny face you saw in the distance was unmistakably that of a Hobbit! Unable to control yourself, you climb to your feet and set off in pursuit. Although you are slower than the little creature, it leaves a trail of glowstone light which you can follow. And even though you have just eaten, the smell of the Hobbit sparks off your appetite once more. But you are much too slow to catch it. As you lumber down the passageway, even the glowstone trail disappears. Eventually you reach a junction. Will you continue north (turn to 144), or will you turn to the east (turn to 204)?

We've been to both of those references before, so no help there.

Okay, computer, what's the fastest we can get to a new state from the checkpoint? Ah, going west instead of east at arbitrary junction 75.

Reference 353 posted:

You continue west and you notice that the air is becoming distinctly cooler. The walls of the passage become damp and glisten in the glowstones' light. A breeze is blowing against you, as if to persuade you against this course. Your ears pick up the sound of running water and each step brings this sound closer. Eventually you find yourself standing on a narrow rocky bridge which spans a bubbling stream some distance below. You stop to look down at the flowing water. It is not easy to see in the dim light, but your nose twitches at the unpleasant smell which issues from the stream. If you feasted on the Hellhound, you must lose 2 STAMINA points for the nausea you now feel. You hurry on over the bridge and soon afterwards come across a passageway leading north. If you take this passage, turn to 172. If you prefer to continue west, turn to 149.

Both of these references are new, so maybe we'll get somewhere good? The best state we can get to this reference in, though, is having only the hide, 12 gold, and no special information or status effects...

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

pass through the passage

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
West :goleft:

RIP that gimmick.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Last update before bed! I know I've been zooming through these, but I'm trying to strike a balance between making you wait a long time before seeing the result of a meaningless decision and generating some sort of mammoth post as I search for a meaningful one.

someone awful. posted:

pass through the passage

Reference 172 posted:

The northward passage is short and ends at a stout wooden door. If you wish to force the door open, turn to 15. If you would prefer to return to the main passage and follow it west, turn to 149.

We've been to 15 before - it's the coffin room again - so we'll

habituallyred posted:

West :goleft:

RIP that gimmick.

Reference 149 posted:

You quicken your pace along the passage, away from the stink of the stream. Suddenly, your foot steps forward into nothing and you are falling dowards through the air! Your bulky body picks up speed quickly, but luckily the fall is not a lengthy one. You land in a heap at the bottom of the pitfall you have walked straight into. If it were not for your bulk, you might have landed unharmed on the straw-strewn floor. But you groan as you nurse your right leg. Blood is seeping from between the scales and you have twisted your knee badly. You must deduct 3 STAMINA points for the fall. Now turn to 257.

Well, crap. We've been to 257 before; that's no help. What's next on the list? Looks like slogging through the slime. (The only way we can get here is with 12 Gold.)

Reference 232 posted:

Your first step into the dark-coloured slime makes you shiver. It is considerably colder than the lighter-coloured variety. You quicken your pace and continue northwards. The dull light of the glowstones lets you see that your chilly ordeal will soon be over. A few paces ahead, a step takes you out of the strange slime and on to dry ground. You step up eagerly and peer ahead into the bluish gloom for some clue as to where you are heading. You can just make out an arched doorway ahead, and you soon reach a solid door of thick timbers and sturdy metal fastenings. You can hear irregular heavy breathing coming from something behind the door. The breathing is punctuated by occasional resonant snorts, and the overall impression is of danger! Something large is behind the door! Will you charge the door, prepared for anything within (turn to 263)? Or will you ignore this room and head back down the passage to take the easterly way you encountered earlier (turn to 19)?

We've been to 263 before; it's where we fought the Manic Beast. So turning back...

Reference 19 posted:

You turn from the door and plod once more through the cold slime. By the time you reach the passageway to the east, the cold has worked its way through even your thick, scaly skin. You must lose 1 STAMINA point for your freezing feet and turn to 84.

We've been here before too, so that's no help. The next shortest path is going west instead of north from the bottom of the slippery steps:

Reference 77 posted:

You enter the passage. It twists and turns through the rock in a haphazard way until it finally opens out into a small cavern. You pause to get your bearings and search for the best way through. Leading off to the north is a wide passage which seems to be going somewhere. But to get to it you will have to cross the cavern, and crossing the cavern is not an inviting prospect. For in the cavern wall to your right are two caves, and in a neat pile outside the first cave is a mound of bones - some broken, some just chewed. But judging from the size of some of the bones, whatever was eating them was no mere Half-Orc. Will you head for the caves to attack whatever is inside (turn to 88), or will you simply cross the cavern and see what happens (turn to 430)?

Both of these references are new, and we can reach this reference with either the bracelets or the inactive pendant, so if either becomes relevant, I'll be sure to act accordingly!

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Cry havocc! And let slip the dogs of war. Attack.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to just see what happens (turn to 430).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
430 - Let's see what happens.

I think I've found the most likely spot for the necromancer's lair, but I'll wait until we're stuck again.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Cry havocc! And let slip the dogs of war. Attack.

Reference 88 posted:

You creep up to the first cave and peer inside. It is dark and you can see little. But the thing that strikes you immediately is the smell of rotten flesh! Whatever lives in here certainly has a large appetite for meat. You poke your head further into the cave and you can see a large furry ball heaving up and down in one corner. You step forward to catch the sleeping creature unawares. But your foot kicks a loose stone and sends it scuttling across the cave towards it. The creature shudders, awakens and gets up. By now you have already decided to attack and you are virtually on top of the creature as its face turns towards you.

There is a look of pure fury in its ghostly white eyes as the Devourer opens its mouth to defend itself. Two layers of jagged, bloodstained teeth part and sink into the scales of your arm. You howl and spring back out of its clutches (lose 2 STAMINA points for the bite). The creature is as tall as you and as bulky, but has a shaggy, furry body. You must resolve your fight with the creature:

DEVOURER    SKILL 10    STAMINA 8

If you defeat it, turn to 41.

Based on the illustration...

...I believe this, not us, is what's pictured on the alternate cover:

At any rate, this is a very tough fight. Let's try a different path...

MaskedHuzzah posted:

I'd like to just see what happens (turn to 430).

Reference 430 posted:

You step forward and cross the cavern, heading for the northerly passage. All is silent from the caves. Perhaps whatever was eating there has now wandered off. You reach the other side without incident. Turn to 41.

So yeah. At least 41 is new.

Reference 41 posted:

You leave the cavern and head along the passage which leads to the north. Again the route twists and turns, but you progress without incident. Eventually you reach the foot of a flight of stairs carved out of the rock and leading up into darkness. You climb the stairs and reach a junction where you may head either north (turn to 136) or east (turn to 156).

We've been east, but not north.

Reference 136 posted:

The passage heads north for no more than a few paces before meandering off in a north-easterly direction. Undisturbed layers of dust and dirt on the floor indicate that this corridor is little used. Eventually, the passage straightens and heads east. You soon come to a junction where you may either continue east (turn to 373) or turn to the north (turn to 404).

Again, we've been east, but not north.

Reference 404 posted:

The passage is much wider here and footprints in the dirt indicate that it is more frequently used. But all the footprints seem to be heading the other way! A little further ahead you come to the top of a narrow staircase heading downwards. You consider this for some time, but eventually decide against going down the steps. You turn around and retrace your steps, this time turning east at the junction. Turn to 373.

Welp. We were at 46 new states before this; after this, we're down to 42. The next shortest path leads to 357, attacking the Rhino-Man because we don't understand him.

Reference 357 posted:

You kick the door back and slash out at the Rhino-Man. You must resolve this battle:

RHINO-MAN    SKILL 8    STAMINA 9

If you defeat the creature, you may search the guardroom. As the Rhino-Man was about the same size as you, you may wish to take something from the room. If you take a dusty brown sack, turn to 250. If you take a metal breastplate, turn to 415.

I suspect the breastplate isn't particularly useful, but let's see what happens if we take it.

Reference 415 posted:

You fumble about with the breastplate and eventually it slips over your shoulder and stays in place. It will be a useful defensive piece and while you are wearing it you may add 2 points to your Attack Strength during each Attack Round. But it does not fit perfectly and makes moving your arms awkward. While you are wearing it, you must deduct 1 point from your SKILL score. You may now leave the guardroom by turning to 394.

I'd rule that the SKILL reduction only applies out of combat. Otherwise, this'd be near-useless instead of just mostly useless.

What about the sack?

Reference 250 posted:

The sack can be used to carrying anything you may find during your journey. From now on you may ignore any instructions which tell you that you can only take one item from, for example, a room. Leave the room now by turning to 394.

Well, that would have been useful in a couple of places! Or it would have been, except on the references we've seen so far where we can take things, we have to turn to a new reference in order to see what the thing does and aren't allowed to turn back. Hopefully future references will make this actually work.

Reference 394 posted:

Although there are three doors leading from the guardroom, you ignore the one to the south. Will you leave via the door in the north wall (turn to 314) or the door in the west wall (turn to 116)?

We haven't been to either reference. However...

Reference 314 posted:

You enter a short passageway which you follow to a T-junction. You consider which way to turn. Turn to 298.

...we've been to 298 before. What about 116?

Reference 116 posted:

The door leads to a passage which takes you west until you reach a T-junction where you decide to turn north. Turn to 144.

We've been there too. Well, the odds of that being a good choice were low anyway; we didn't have the gift of language, which will probably be essential at some point. Running our options through the computer tells us we're up to 66 new states on account of we can now have new items at various references; the shortest path leads to 25, where we (not understanding Hannicus without the gift of language) attack him.

Reference 25 posted:

Irritated by the human's constant rantings, you step across the room towards him. He does not react at all to your approach and it is an easy matter for you to swipe him with a clawed fist. Your blow sends him flying back across the room where he smacks his head against the wall and lands in a lifeless heap on the floor. You may now either feast on the bodies (turn to 289) or leave the room (turn to 138).

We've been to 138, but not 289.

Reference 289 posted:

You may add 4 STAMINA points for the meal, and then you leave the room by turning to 138.

Disappointing, but, again, not unexpected. Down to 41 new states on account of the variety of conditions we could have reached 25 at. What about 420, where we ignore him and start chowing down?

Reference 420 posted:

You settle down on the floor and begin to feast on the fleshy legs of the first Blood Orc. The taste is not pleasant, but you are hungry. The bearded human continues to stumble round the room, talking in an excited tone. Eventually he comes close to you and trips over the body of the other Blood Orc. His hand scrapes against your back and he shivers with horror when he feels the scales and spines. He rises to his knees and begins to feel your neck and head. You are somewhat bemused by this and allow him to continue. But when his fingers rub across your mouth and feel your sharp fangs, he cannot contain himself any more. Before he can even utter a scream, he faints and slumps to the ground beside you. You finish your meal (add 4 STAMINA points) and leave the room. Turn to 138.

Down to 16 new states, dang. What about 360, keeping Hannicus's ring?

Reference 360 posted:

You have no wish to give the ring back to the blind wizard. It may prove very useful to you in the future. And, apart from that, you think it looks splendid on your finger. The old wizard wants you to lead him away, but your attitude is mixed. He may slow you down and you have learned all his useful information. You stand up, brush him aside, and leave. If you come across Darramouss, you may use the ring as follows. When you are given the option to grab him and do battle, add 50 to the reference you are on at the time and turn to this new reference. Now turn to 138.

My program posted:

No new states found!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Okay. Right at the beginning of the LP, I said:

FredMSloniker posted:

Creature of Havoc is rightly considered one of the hardest, if not the hardest, Fighting Fantasy gamebooks. It's notorious for, among other things, being able to lose without ever making a meaningful decision, having many ways to be 'walking dead' - including large, interesting sections of the book - and containing an error that makes it impossible to complete unless you take an action the text was supposed to tell you about but doesn't.

Your homework for today is this: figure out where the error is and what you need to do. No hints from those of you who know the answer already.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think I know what it is.

Reference 200 posted:

The old man offers to help you if you will lead him out of the dungeon. "My name, if you wish to know it, is Hannicus. I know much of what goes on here," he starts, "for I was the keeper of these dungeons before Zharradan Marr decided that an undead would be more ruthless than an ageing wizard and gave that damned Darramouss - curse his soul - my position. The only reward for thirty-six years' service was my black-eye curse and a future as a plaything to be held captive at Darramouss's pleasure." All this is interesting to you and you allow him to continue. "I can lead you straight to the undead keeper if you will lead me - if you see what I mean. We must travel east until we reach the lair of the Chattermatter. But ignore his prattle, for he seeks only to feed on your flesh. North then we must travel to reach Darramouss. I can help you slay him, with this!" From inside his robes, he pulls a silver ring which has a large bulbous stone set in it. He walks over to you and gropes for your hand, finding it eventually. "Look, this ring will fit any finger - even yours. There! When you meet Darramouss, smash the stone into the wall. It will break and release a deadly gas - deadly, that is, to the undead Half-Elf. It will not harm humans and will no doubt have no effect on you." Add 2 LUCK points for this information. You look at the ring on your finger admiringly. The human is asking for it back. Will you give it to him? If so, turn to 159. If not, turn to 360.

This reference mentions that we need to travel to the lair of the Chattermatter. But, if I recall correctly, we fully explored that entire area and didn't find a location that would reach Darramouss. I don't think there was a hidden passage in that general area either. I'm thinking this passage was supposed to tell us something like "subtract 20 from the page number when you think you're in the lair of the Chattermatter" but omitted it.

I'm...still not sure why he asks for the ring back immediately after giving it to us though.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

That's very plausible, but also plausible is that we have to take multiple items from one of the rooms we can visit that don't let us revisit the item selection reference.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

That's very plausible, but also plausible is that we have to take multiple items from one of the rooms we can visit that don't let us revisit the item selection reference.

I'm pretty sure the game mechanics don't allow this. I would think that either the reference wouldn't require you to turn to a specific reference for each item (for instance, if you are at a shop and looking at a rope, a shovel, and/or a lantern, none of which have special rules associated with them) or the reference you turn to would direct you back to the previous page or something. At any rate, the problem is that there isn't a way to get to a new reference at all, much less with a specific set of gear.

Arzaac posted:

This reference mentions that we need to travel to the lair of the Chattermatter. But, if I recall correctly, we fully explored that entire area and didn't find a location that would reach Darramouss. I don't think there was a hidden passage in that general area either. I'm thinking this passage was supposed to tell us something like "subtract 20 from the page number when you think you're in the lair of the Chattermatter" but omitted it.

You're on the right track, but not quite there.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Following Hannicus's directions say to go east continuously, until you go to the lair of the Chattermaster, and then you are supposed to go north, but going North puts you into a looping series of passages which leave you stuck, and from there, there is no way to get back to the Rock Demon you need to defeat so you can read the parchment which has the other clue you need.

The error is that you have to go east, then north immediately, before you reach the Chattermaster lair.

So from 138 -> 15 -> 436 (Ignore the stuff) -> 49 (go East) -> 457 -> 122(Cross Bridge) -> Go North to 154 here, not east -> 396 (Break down door, still don't go east).

We still need find the lair, but I think I know where to do that. We'll need the Crystal Club as well.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 30, 2021

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

We still need find the lair, but I think I know where to do that.

That's, uh, kind of the important part. If what you describe is the error, how does it help us to be on 396?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FredMSloniker posted:

That's, uh, kind of the important part. If what you describe is the error, how does it help us to be on 396?

Wait, wait. the first time we went to 396, we saw the rock demon, then ran away to reference 365. From there, we went west to 213 which was a straight dead end. No monsters, no bad end, nothing.

Reference 213 posted:

You reach a dead end. The light is dim and it is difficult to see, so you grope around for a possible way onwards. There is none to be found. You turn round and return to the crossroads. Will you now:
Continue east? Turn to 50.
Continue north? Turn to 443.

Was this a typo and supposed to begin with "You find yourself" instead of "you reach"? Or maybe instead of being difficult to see it was supposed to be "You cannot see a thing"?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The error is that you have to go east, then north immediately, before you reach the Chattermaster lair.

This isn't the error. Hannicus has no reason to direct us there. It's still a good idea to do it, though; I doubt it's spoilers to say we'll need both the crystal club and instructions on how to use it before the game is won.

Arzaac posted:

Wait, wait. the first time we went to 396, we saw the rock demon, then ran away to reference 365. From there, we went west to 213 which was a straight dead end. No monsters, no bad end, nothing.

[ ... ]

Was this a typo and supposed to begin with "You find yourself" instead of "you reach"? Or maybe instead of being difficult to see it was supposed to be "You cannot see a thing"?

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! If we follow Hannicus's instructions and head east until we get to the chamber where the Chattermatter is (taking the aforementioned detour along the way), then turn north, we'll reach - well, eventually we'll reach the dead-end chamber that locks us in if we enter. But if we leave through the north wall and then immediately turn west (thanks, Hannicus), we'll get to:

Reference 213 posted:

You reach a dead end. The light is dim and it is difficult to see, so you grope around for a possible way onwards. There is none to be found. You turn round and return to the crossroads. Will you now:
  • Continue east? Turn to 50.
  • Continue north? Turn to 443.

There are several other ways to reach this reference, but this is the shortest.

This reference is supposed to begin "You find yourself", but it doesn't. With that information, we can turn to...

Reference 233 posted:

While you are groping around the end of the passageway, you suddenly notice a slight humming coming from your pendant! It is vibrating and, as you move towards one particular spot, the vibration becomes stronger. You grasp the talisman and watch as the blue stone begins to glow. Finally, a beam of blue light shoots from the pendant and lights up an area of rocky wall. You feel around the area and your hand comes to rest on a small hidden catch. When you flick the catch, the dead end before you comes to life! Smoke hisses from the crevices around the wall, forcing you to step away from it. When the smoke clears, a gap has appeared in the rock-face; an eerie green light lights up a narrow passage beyond. Will you step through and explore the secret passage? If so turn to 369. Or would you rather return to the crossroads and take either the way to the north (turn to 443) or the way to the east (turn to 50)?

With this one correction, we now have 3,888 new states from the sheer variety of conditions we can be in when we can reach this reference.

Reference 369 posted:

You step into the passage and your eyes adjust to the green light. You breathe cautiously as you progress, but it seems that the smoke is not harmful, though it smells a little pungent. The passage leads after only a few paces to impenetrable blackness; not even the green light is penetrating the dark. Your eyes strain to see anything of the surroundings, but without success.

Suddenly a light flickers to your left! A small flame lights up something: it is a human face! The face is motionless and its eyes are closed. The skin is old and withered and you cannot tell whether it is alive or dead. Another light flickers! Another sombre face lights up before you. And another! Eventually there are four faces, all dimly lit, around the chamber. An instant later, their eyes and mouths flick open wide and the silence is broken by a sharp voice which cuts through the darkness. The effect is terrifying! "Your progress has been watched, foul creature of destruction. So far, you have done well, though you know not why or what. But you have caused two of the vapours to be lost. Zharradan Marr himself has decreed your destiny. You shall remain in his dungeons and do my bidding. For I am Darramouss, your master." If you can understand him, turn to reference ninety. "Your first order is this. Report for duty at the Yellowstone Mines. Leave now and head there immediately. I will be watching."

As the voice ceases, a rumbling sound comes from ahead of you. The same green light indicates another secret passageway, which the voice evidently wishes you to take. Will you leave through the new passage (turn to 79), or will you step up to one of the illuminated faces and crush it in your hand (turn to 247)?

It's possible to reach this reference with or without the gift of language, so all three options are open to you.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

FredMSloniker posted:

I'll interpret that as "tell me where you think the lair is".

396 gives the option to read the parchment, which triggers the Rock Demon fight. If you choose to fight it (327) you can then read the parchment (192), then you are forced to 365, which sends you into the loop. If we have the pendant, we can go to 20 and find the secret door which goes to 40. Entering the secret door goes to 296.

Normally, that is death. But the text for 192 says "If at some time in the future you believe you have located the entrance to Marr's netherworld, deduct the page number above from the reference you are on at the time and turn to this reference." 296 - 192 = 104. So, if I'm right, reference 104 should lead to the Necromancer encounter.

I guess that was entirely wrong.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 30, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Fight The Man and their stupid faces

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Whack-a-face.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
247 No Comprende

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Crush Smash some faces!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Let's narrow some possibilities down. To win, we need the crystal club and we need to know how to use it. Let's eliminate any game states that don't have either. (Since we need the fully activated pendant both to get the club and to get to 369, that doesn't add an additional restriction.)

Of the 3,888 game states we can currently reach, 1,296 have the crystal club. Of those, 432 have the information on how to use it. Since we need the gift of knowledge to be able to read the scroll, that's part of the winning path too. Eliminating the paths where we get cursed drops us to 144 states; if I assume that the various 'visited' flags are no longer relevant - i.e., we won't be returning to the first part of the book from here - we come down to 16 states, which boil down to four flags, all nicely orthogonal:
  • Do we have two Gold Pieces from eating the human instead of the Manic Beast?
  • Do we have the message for Legionnaire 29?
  • Do we have the bulbous ring from Hannicus?
  • Have we been coated in Elven dust?
But none of that matters now, because you unanimously voted to

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Crush Smash some faces!

Which is a path we can only take if we don't have the gift of languages and therefore don't know how to use the crystal club.

Reference 247 posted:

A surge of anger rushes through you. You step over to the nearest head, flex your claws and slash across its face. As your claws fix in the soft flesh, it flies from its perch out of the light and out of sight. You hear no sound to indicate that it hit a wall or landed on the floor. A menacing laugh comes from the voice, which sounds as though it is just over your shoulder. You spin round, but see nothing. The voice simply continues its mocking laugh. You turn back and gasp with surprise when you see that the head has returned to its position! At the same time, you feel a wave of pain spread right through your body. Every muscle is in agony! A few moments later, the pain subsides, but the aches remain. You must lose 2 STAMINA points. Will you now leave the room through the secret passage (turn to 79), or will you attack one of the other heads (turn to 9)?

Reference 9 posted:

In a fit of rage you rush across the room and swing your fist, with claws open, at another head. Again the claws rip the head from its perch and send it flying out of the light and out of sight. And again you hear no sound to indicate it landing anywhere. This time your eyes are fixed on the vacant space illuminated by the light. Sure enough, the head floats through the air and comes to rest in its original position, the claw wounds showing up clearly on the side of its face. You hit it again. The same thing happens. But this time you feel the wave of pain coming on again. The pain grows inside you with an intensity much greater than before. You slump howling to the ground until it eventually subsides. Lose 6 STAMINA points. If you are still alive, you decide to leave the room quickly. Turn to 79.

This was a bad idea. We should go.

Reference 79 posted:

You rush across to the secret entrance and find yourself bathed once more in the eerie green light. The instant you step into the passageway, the door slams shut behind you and this is much to your relief, as you were anxious to leave the mysterious room. The passage continues in a westerly direction until you arrive at a junction. A sign is tacked to the wall and an arrow on it points westwards. There is a message on the sign which reads: "Yellowstone Mine this way." The other passage leads to the south. A few paces down it is a small pile of bones - or rather a pile of small bones. They look like human bones, but from a creature much smaller than a human. You must now decide which way to continue. Will you head west (turn to 142) or south (turn to 273)?

We're still at 3,888 new game states. Both of these references are new.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
As a Creature of Havoc, ignore the instructions we were given. That'll show 'em.

Southwards.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

As a Creature of Havoc, ignore the instructions we were given. That'll show 'em.

Southwards.

Reference 273 posted:

You step up to the bones and sniff them. A shiver of excitement runs through you: Hobbit bones! In eager anticipation, you follow the passage south until it reaches a point where it turns to the east. You sniff for the scent of Hobbit and can smell something faintly in the air. At the next corner, the passage turns north. Further on it turns west. The smell of Hobbit is now getting stronger and you eagerly follow the passageway round a corner to the south. You reach another pile of bones on the ground. You stop to look, but these are not Hobbit bones. They are the bones of something much larger, perhaps a human or even a Hobgoblin. The passage ahead turns to the east. Will you follow it (turn to 356), or would you prefer to go back (turn to 227)?

What happens if we go back?

Reference 227 posted:

You follow the passage back to the junction and turn left in the direction indicated by the arrow. Turn to 142.

Oh, okay. In that case, press on!

Reference 356 posted:

You follow the corridor round the bend to the east, then round another to the north. The smell is getting stronger but there are now other aromas in the air. The passage turns west next, and a short distance further on you stop at a corner where it turns to the south. The smells in the air are now quite strong and there are sounds coming from round the corner. You cautiously poke your head round to see what is going on.

The passage ends a short distance ahead. Bones are strewn about the place. Some have remnants of flesh left on them, but not for long. Standing in the centre of the passageway, feasting noisily on the remains, are three Carrion Bugs! They are huge, black beetles with formidable heads in the shape of death's-head skulls. The creatures' heads are armed with razor-sharp mandibles which can strip muscle cleanly from a bone in an instant. You are considering whether or not to turn round and retrace your steps, when your eyes fall on an unmistakable shape - the decaying corpse of a Hobbit! Your eyes widen and your dry mouth becomes moist. Thoughts of retracing your steps fade...

You surge through the Carrion Bugs to your meal. They ignore you until you grab the Hobbit. But then they turn towards you: they will not allow you to steal their meal! You must fight the Carrion Bugs all together:

SKILL  STAMINA
First CARRION BUG     7       6
Second CARRION BUG    8       5
Third CARRION BUG     7       5

If you wish to escape during the battle, you may do so by turning to 240, but only after at least three Attack Rounds. If you defeat all three of them, turn to 375.

The rules don't specify exactly what happens if you roll doubles during a fight with multiple opponents. Based on the Instant Death rules saying 'your opponent', singular, 'will die instantly', I'd say the opponent you target dies, but you compare your Attack Roll normally to the other opponents for purposes of avoiding their blows. Nonetheless, we could just say 'we win'. But what if we did want to tap out?

Reference 240 posted:

Desperately you wrest yourself free from the Bugs and you race off northwards up the passageway. As you step away from them, you feel a sharp slice into your ribs. Dark blood seeps out from the wound and you must lose 2 STAMINA points. But you are now out of range and, as you turn a corner to the east, out of sight as well. You turn south, then west. But as you turn the next corner, your heart sinks. Another of the creatures is arriving for its meal! To get past, you will have to defeat the Bug:

CARRION BUG    SKILL 7    STAMINA 6

If you defeat it, turn to 227.

That's dumb. We're in it to win it!

Reference 375 posted:

With the Carrion Bugs dead, your thoughts revert to the tasty Hobbit. You pick up the rigid body and sink your teeth into its stomach area. Although irresistible, the taste is not too pleasant, as the body has been dead for some time. Nevertheless, you eat heartily and you may gain 4 STAMINA points for the meal. Then you follow the passage north, and later east. As you turn the next corner, your heart sinks. Another of the creatures is arriving for its meal! To get past you will have to defeat the Bug:

CARRION BUG    SKILL 7    STAMINA 6

If you defeat it, turn to 227.

Aw man, we just left this party. Fine, we'll head west toward Yellowstone Mine, I guess.

Reference 142 posted:

A foul smell wafts along the passage and seems to get stronger as you continue. The air becomes cool and moist and you eventually hear the splashings of flowing water. The glowstones light up the way ahead and you can see that the passage turns into a narrow arch of rock stretching across a wide chasm. A murky river runs through the chasm and it is this river that is responsible for the stink which fills the area. The bridge is so narrow that, for a creature of your bulk, the crossing will be extremely hazardous. But there is no other way onwards. You step on to the near side of the bridge. Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, turn to 221. If you are Unlucky, turn to 193.

You know the drill: we check the unlucky result first...

Reference 193 posted:

In the centre of the bridge, you glance down. The sight of the filthy water down below is unnerving and for an instant you lose your balance on the slippery bridge! Your fate is to plunge head first down into the disgusting Bilgewater below, never to emerge alive, unless your SKILL is great. Roll two dice. If you roll a number greater than or equal to your SKILL score, your adventure ends here, plunging down into the foul river below. If you roll a number less than your SKILL, then you regain your footing (turn to 221).

...but in this case, we find something unexpected. In other books, you might be asked to Test your Skill, but the rules for this book never describe that. In addition, when you Test your Luck, success is getting equal to or less than your current score, so we're effectively at a -1 SKILL for this test. At least we get a second chance at avoiding...

Death #16: See how much poo poo we have to put up with?

Reference 221 posted:

You cautiously make your way across to the far side of the bridge where, with a great sigh of relief, you step on to safe ground again. You rest for a few moments and then turn west to continue. But your eye catches sight of footprints which seem to head not towards the bridge, but to the edge of the ledge you are now standing on. Looking more closely, you can see that, just over the edge, a series of rocks protrude from the side of the chasm as rough stairs. They lead down to a hole in the cliff. If you wish to climb down the steps, the going will be perilous, as they are narrow and there is nothing to hold on to. Otherwise, the westward passage leads you on for a few paces to a strong wooden door with iron fastenings. Will you attempt to force your way through the door (turn to 425), or would you like to investigate the steps leading down to the hole in the side of the chasm (turn to 313)?

What with one thing or another, we're still at 3,888 new game states.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

let's go in the hole, maybe it was made for us

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Buckle up, boys and girls. It's time for one of my favorite bits of bullshit in Creature of Havoc.

Reference 425 posted:

The door is decorated with plates and symbols forged in metal. In the centre is a sign which reads: "Yellowstone Mines. Sergeants and slaves only." The door is locked, so you decide to try breaking it down. You give it a hard shove with your shoulder. It shudders but does not budge. Indignant, you hit it again, but still it will not open. Lose 1 STAMINA point.

Two reminders: on our current path, we don't have the gift of language, so we can't read the sign. On a winning path, we wouldn't have the spiked shield (since we took the crystal club instead), so we couldn't avoid the damage here.

Reference 425 posted:

Before you can decide whether or not to try again, a rustling of keys in the lock is followed by a creaking noise as the door opens. A thin, dark face appears at the door and looks at you. "No need to boil your blood. What is it you want in the mines? If it's work, then come back tomorrow. A few of the slaves will doubtless die today." The Black Elf irritates you with his arrogant manner. You do not want to waste time with him. You grunt and smack your fist into the door, knocking it wide open. It clangs into the wall behind and the Black Elf's jaw drops open.

The room inside is sparse. There is a table and chair against one wall and on the table stands a plate with some food on it and a bottle of drink. Behind the table two bunches of keys are hanging on the wall. An archway leads from the room into the blackness beyond. You step inside and the Black Elf pounces. You must fight him:

BLACK ELF    SKILL 7    STAMINA 6

After two Attack Rounds, turn to 275.

We could win this fight in two Attack Rounds, either with the Instant Death rule or by Testing our Luck successfully at least once. But there's no reference for if we do that. Instead...

Reference 275 posted:

The Black Elf realizes he is no match for your strength and he suddenly pulls from his pocket a small whistle, which he puts to his lips and blows. The shrill sound can barely be heard and you take advantage of the Elf's distraction to grab him in your claws. But before you can choke the life out of him, his signal is answered and a larger creature steps through the archway. This creature is covered in heavy armour. Vicious spikes jut out from each joint and a large, dark-eyed helmet reaches down to its shoulders. It carries a two-handed axe, which it now raises to do battle. You must ignore the Black Elf and instead turn to face this Chaos Warrior:

CHAOS WARRIOR    SKILL 9    STAMINA 8

If you defeat the creature, turn to 256.

Reference 256 posted:

Breathing heavily, you rise to your feet and stand over the body of the Chaos Warrior. Your attention turns to the Black Elf who is once more blowing his whistle for reinforcements. Instantly another Chaos Warrior appears in the doorway ready for battle. You must resolve your fight with him:

CHAOS WARRIOR    SKILL 8    STAMINA 7

If you win, turn to 39.

Reference 39 posted:

No sooner have you dealt the final death-blow than another Chaos Warrior appears at the archway. Resolve your combat with the creature:

CHAOS WARRIOR    SKILL 9    STAMINA 7

If you defeat the Warrior, turn to 397.

Reference 397 posted:

As the defeated Warrior slumps dead to the ground, another steps through the archway to take up the battle. You must fight this one too:

CHAOS WARRIOR    SKILL 7    STAMINA 8

If you defeat your attacker, turn to 46.

Reference 46 posted:

Your hope fades as another Chaos Warrior raises his weapon and advances to do battle:

CHAOS WARRIOR    SKILL 8    STAMINA 8

If you win this battle, turn to 39.

Reference 39 posted:

No sooner have you dealt the final death-blow than another Chaos Warrior appears at the archway. Resolve your combat with the creature:

Reference 397 posted:

As the defeated Warrior slumps dead to the ground, another steps through the archway to take up the battle. You must fight this one too:

Reference 46 posted:

Your hope fades as another Chaos Warrior raises his weapon and advances to do battle:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Reference 39 posted:

Reference 397 posted:

Reference 46 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Death #17: To defeat an infinite number of Chaos Warriors, you must first defeat an infinite number of Chaos Warriors.

So let's not do that.

someone awful. posted:

let's go in the hole, maybe it was made for us

Reference 313 posted:

You lower yourself over the edge and on to the first step. You sway a little, but gradually you become accustomed to the awkward position and you take the next step downwards. Once your head is below the level of the ledge, you find you are able to lean against the side of the chasm for balance and you take the next few steps easily. However, the next step is smaller than the others and is slightly further away. This will be dangerous. Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, turn to 65. If you are Unlucky, turn to 338.

If we're Unlucky...

Reference 338 posted:

Your foot slips on the step. You lose your balance and tumble down, down towards the Bilgewater below. But you never feel the impact of hitting the water. Just before you reach the river, you collide at full speed with a boulder protruding from the face of the cliff. Your death is instantaneous.

Death #18: This is the fifth time we've had to deal with this poo poo!

Reference 65 posted:

You manage to keep your balance all the way down the rock-face until you reach the hole. As you step into the hole, your feet once again touch solid ground. Your left foot bangs against something straight and solid. When you bend down to investigate, you find a long length of straight metal, about as wide as your hand, which runs deep into the hole. Another identical length runs alongside the first and the two are held a short distance apart by a series of blocks of wood. You decide to see where they lead, and you enter the tunnel. No glowstones light the way here, so you follow the tracks into darkness. A short distance ahead you reach a fork. Will you follow the tracks to the left (turn to 182), or will you enter the tunnel on the right (turn to 424)?

Eliminate one branch, find a new one: we're still at 3,888 new game states.