Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Epicurius posted:

If I went to the President and gave him $10 and said "Here's $10. Please pardon me", and he did, that would be illegal. Its not illegal to accept money to petition the President for a pardon, though, so what Stone did there probably isn't illegal.

Stone wasn't a federal official, though. It would only be illegal if Stone was paid and then turned the money over to the President. Otherwise, its just lobbying.

I believe there are laws around lobbying, however, and lots of ways to get in trouble over it. Like, if my company does work for my state and I'm involved in it, and I spent $31 on a meal for state employee and don't disclose it on the proper forms, it can be a Bad Thing.

Edit: I don't have a picture of a cute dog, but will pay a tax by saying thanks to Evilweasel for the continued excellent posting. Helps me hit that "learn something new every day" button.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ynglaur posted:

I believe there are laws around lobbying, however, and lots of ways to get in trouble over it. Like, if my company does work for my state and I'm involved in it, and I spent $31 on a meal for state employee and don't disclose it on the proper forms, it can be a Bad Thing.

Edit: I don't have a picture of a cute dog, but will pay a tax by saying thanks to Evilweasel for the continued excellent posting. Helps me hit that "learn something new every day" button.

Got you, fam

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kalit posted:

That response from Jarmak wasn't directed at you.

Also, can you please actually read articles that you post? I swear, every time you post a twitter link, it's either a misleading headline or you post a statement that isn't consistent with the article that is linked. Such as this statement you just posted. The cops didn't murder him because of weed (even though he was in custody because of it). They murdered him because of his skin color and possibly because they don't know how to deal with mental illnesses (if that was a factor in this case).

How much daylight is there between "they murdered him because of weed" and "weed was the excuse they used to pick him up and then they murdered him for other reasons once they had him" (E: and also one of those "other reasons" may well include "cops don't think the lives of drug users have value")

idk from a policy perspective, seems to me if people are getting picked up because of weed and then murdered, they're being murdered because of weed or at least the laws against weed are providing opportunities for murder that wouldn't otherwise exist.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 30, 2021

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

zoux posted:

I guess the dissonance here is that we're always talking about how generous European social programs and spending are while their monetary policy seems to be extremely miserly.

People already responded to you specifically on monetary stuff, EU structure etc. but I would like to take a moment to mention that most European countries have been cutting back on social programs over the past decades. Even though most are still ahead of the US (a low bar) there has been increased encroachment of free market approaches towards healthcare, housing, and labour practices.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The situation is not comparable at all don't do the "american exceptionalism but america bad" thing.

We fought a literal civil war because a regional block of states refused to comply with the federal government. We currently have massive issues with economic disparity between states, and cool new battle lines being drawn where by the end of the year, transgender people effectively lose freedom of travel to certain states. Yes we have a stronger federal system than the EU and yes we a have a more uniform collective culture, but we absolutely face a lot of the same stupid challenges involved in being a confederation in spite of much more experience.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

BigglesSWE posted:

Republicans will want to impeach him now, since he dissed the concept touted by God-Emperor Reagan.

They need to accept anarchobidenism into their hearts

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I don't understand anything anymore.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

How much daylight is there between "they murdered him because of weed" and "weed was the excuse they used to pick him up and then they murdered him for other reasons once they had him" (E: and also one of those "other reasons" may well include "cops don't think the lives of drug users have value")

idk from a policy perspective, seems to me if people are getting picked up because of weed and then murdered, they're being murdered because of weed or at least the laws against weed are providing opportunities for murder that wouldn't otherwise exist.

basically my position; picking nits this inconsequential smacks far too closely of trying to come up with a justification for the murder, or at the least engaging with the language the pigs use

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Presto posted:

it's a dumb ponzi scam being pushed by tech bros that rich people are getting in on, occasionally non-rich people make money from it and those stories get amplified to make it look like anyone can. I think it's pretty dumb to call it "the first good NFT" because no NFT is good, but someone using this garbage to pay for student loans is about as close to good as you get.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

u brexit ukip it posted:

People already responded to you specifically on monetary stuff, EU structure etc. but I would like to take a moment to mention that most European countries have been cutting back on social programs over the past decades. Even though most are still ahead of the US (a low bar) there has been increased encroachment of free market approaches towards healthcare, housing, and labour practices.
But then you also have to mention that in the last few years there has been a lot of movement away from austerity politics (even in Germany). The EU has even set up a 750 billion Euro program for investments (to recover from Covid) funded by debt held collectively by all countries - something that was completely unthinkable ten years ago and nearly led to the collapse of the Euro back then.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Presto posted:

To summarize the best NFT descriptions i’ve read: you got it!!!!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Presto posted:

NFT's are just buying images from the internet as someone would go to an art auction and buy a painting. Except NFT's are an even bigger indicator that taxes are too low on the rich.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Oxyclean posted:

it's a dumb ponzi scam being pushed by tech bros that rich people are getting in on, occasionally non-rich people make money from it and those stories get amplified to make it look like anyone can. I think it's pretty dumb to call it "the first good NFT" because no NFT is good, but someone using this garbage to pay for student loans is about as close to good as you get.
Oh, I get all the pieces individually, it's when you put it all together that it exceeds the limits of my brain. I mean, someone paid a half million dollars (in the form of a cryptocoin) for an electronic token that sort of grants ownership to the original copy of a photo that's been reproduced many thousands of times. Is that photo a work of art that required hundreds of hours of effort from an artist? No, it's a snap some guy took of his daughter that got famous on Internet message boards.

Presto fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 30, 2021

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Presto posted:

Oh, I get all the pieces individually, it's when you put it all together that it exceeds the limits of my brain. I mean, someone paid a half million dollars (in the form of a cryptocoin) for an electronic token that sort of grants ownership to the original copy of a photo that's been reproduced many thousands of times. Is that photo a work of art that required hundreds of hours of efforts from an artist? No, it's a snap some guy took of his daughter that got famous on Internet message boards.

I mean you've got it precisely. It really is that stupid.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Presto posted:

Oh, I get all the pieces individually, it's when you put it all together that it exceeds the limits of my brain. I mean, someone paid a half million dollars (in the form of a cryptocoin) for an electronic token that sort of grants ownership to the original copy of a photo that's been reproduced many thousands of times. Is that photo a work of art that required hundreds of hours of efforts from an artist? No, it's a snap some guy took of his daughter that got famous on Internet message boards.
oh yes, it makes no sense.

I can only assume its a bunch of assholes making investments to make NFT look viable to normal people. Or people stupid enough to think there's value in the block chain saying they "own" a particular meme or whatever.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Presto posted:

It doesn't do the bolded part, you own nothing of the original in literally any way

The thing you own is a link to that picture, and by own I mean you have a certificate that contains a link to the picture that says you own the certificate, you don't actually own the link either

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

NFT's are just buying images from the internet as someone would go to an art auction and buy a painting. Except NFT's are an even bigger indicator that taxes are too low on the rich.

well that and if you really want to over complicate your money laundering scheme.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
E: ^^ also this

NFTs are just a way to siphon money out of people with more dollars than sense by riding on Bitcoin's hype.

Also, I've started seeing ads for bitcoin visa cards. :wtc:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
once again the gbs buttcoin thread is good on this. I think the most recent analogy is

you ask to buy the mona lisa, some guy goes sure, goes to the bathroom to get a TP square that says you own it, puts the sqaure in trash. you cant take the painting, have to still visit during museum hours and guest policy, etc.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
An NFT is exactly the same as a guy handing you a note saying "You own the Mona Lisa, certified by me" with the URL of a picture of the Mona Lisa on it, except you also set a bunch of coal on fire for it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

It's more like going to an art auction and paying for a slip of paper that says you own the painting, that gets stored in some big book at the back of the museum. Except I'm not even sure it's that, I think it's more like paying for an ISBN to the book that says you own the painting. or something weird and kind of removed.

Additionally, there is never anything stopping people from walking up to the painting and making perfect copies.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Piell posted:

It doesn't do the bolded part, you own nothing of the original in literally any way

The thing you own is a link to that picture, and by own I mean you have a certificate that contains a link to the picture that says you own the certificate, you don't actually own the link either

That's what pushes it over the top for me from seeing NFTs as environmentally irresponsible investment toys to just feeling bewildered/crazy seeing people throw money at them.

Oxyclean posted:

It's more like going to an art auction and paying for a slip of paper that says you own the painting, that gets stored in some big book at the back of the museum. Except I'm not even sure it's that, I think it's more like paying for an ISBN to the book that says you own the painting. or something weird and kind of removed.

Additionally, there is never anything stopping people from walking up to the painting and making perfect copies.

Actually there is, and it's the same thing that prevents the owner of an NFT from legally reproducing the associated media they very much don't own: copywrite law.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 30, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Velocity Raptor posted:

Also, I've started seeing ads for bitcoin visa cards. :wtc:
What does this even mean?

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

Presto posted:

Oh, I get all the pieces individually, it's when you put it all together that it exceeds the limits of my brain. I mean, someone paid a half million dollars (in the form of a cryptocoin) for an electronic token that sort of grants ownership to the original copy of a photo that's been reproduced many thousands of times. Is that photo a work of art that required hundreds of hours of effort from an artist? No, it's a snap some guy took of his daughter that got famous on Internet message boards.

Dan olson on twitter clued me in that one dude is getting most of the meme NFTs. A key element, I believe, is that they aren't bought for $500,000 they are bout for 4 ETH or whatever. And then the ETH is currently selling for $100,000 (numbers are wrong, but you get it). So, if I have a way to sell my own shits from my butt for a million dollars a turd, you bet your rear end I'm buying stuff with it! I have loads of it, and the more people buy stuff with my feces the more valuable it is.

https://www.thenifty.com/farzin-fardin-fard-3fmusic-275/

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
In a way isn't it like all those "buy gold" rackets where they give you a certificate that says it's for x amount of gold but there's no guarantee on that?

EDIT: only even dumber?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
thats another thing I dont get about NFTs, pirates are still pirating( oh and in the case when they find something they like they might actually pay for a legit thing because they like thing)

literally the only thing to ever put a dent in piracy rate is streaming stuff where cost of ease of access was so low and easy that pirate went with the lower effort route.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Angry_Ed posted:

In a way isn't it like all those "buy gold" rackets where they give you a certificate that says it's for x amount of gold but there's no guarantee on that?

EDIT: only even dumber?

Exactly this. Only updated for techbros and hype addicts.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Piell posted:

An NFT is exactly the same as a guy handing you a note saying "You own the Mona Lisa, certified by me" with the URL of a picture of the Mona Lisa on it, except you also set a bunch of coal on fire for it

Look at any photograph or work of art. If you could duplicate
exactly the first tiny dot of color, and then the next and the
next, you would end with a perfect copy of the whole,
indistinguishable from the original in every way, including
the so-called "moral value" of the art itself. Nothing can
transcend its smallest elements.

-- CEO Nwabudike Morgan,
"The Ethics of Greed"
'
but in real life.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
NFTs are also seen as a way to exploit whales in spaces where gambling/loot box psychology wouldn't normally apply.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Actually there is, and it's the same thing that prevents the owner of an NFT from legally reproducing the associated media they very much don't own: copywrite law.

I mean in the context of NFTs being digital images: nothing is stopping anyone from right-click saving an image, unless it's merely never shared publicly, or some other caveat (private commission) that wouldn't need NFTs in the first place. The whole "NFTs are good for artists because they make digital art more monetizable like physical art" is a weird argument.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

NFTs are also seen as a way to exploit whales in spaces where gambling/loot box psychology wouldn't normally apply.
I mean, it's also good at exploiting almost anyone involved; selling an NFT requires buying into crypto and paying fees to mint/auction. The average person is liable to lose money trying to sell something. I don't doubt for every 1 meme/art selling for some absurd amount, there's dozens of people losing money or barely breaking even on an NFT.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
NFTs are also good for money laundering, for bringing money earned in the shadow economy into the real economy. I give you a duffel bag full of ecstasy pills and a URL pointing digital picture of a pretty flower, you say "Oh how pretty, I must have the NFT rights to the picture of this flower" and give me $500,000 and then you walk away with a URL pointing to a picture of a pretty flower (and also a duffel bag full of ecstasy pills). I then book my $500k drug deal as a perfectly legitimate sale of a digital asset, and now I can do anything I want with that money (once I pay all the appropriate taxes etc.)

The NFT is just a fig leaf, an arbitrary token to serve as cover for another transaction. It's like laundering money through a pizza joint or dry cleaners, except with lower overheard and less hassle.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Presto posted:

I hate that I’m the kind of person who feels compelled to post this, but. Everything you said is right, except the dad is a legit decent amateur photographer and put actual work into making a good photograph, and that’s part of why it’s so popular. But like I said everything else is correct and whole thing is insane.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Oxyclean posted:

I mean in the context of NFTs being digital images: nothing is stopping anyone from right-click saving an image, unless it's merely never shared publicly, or some other caveat (private commission) that wouldn't need NFTs in the first place. The whole "NFTs are good for artists because they make digital art more monetizable like physical art" is a weird argument.

I mean, it's also good at exploiting almost anyone involved; selling an NFT requires buying into crypto and paying fees to mint/auction. The average person is liable to lose money trying to sell something. I don't doubt for every 1 meme/art selling for some absurd amount, there's dozens of people losing money or barely breaking even on an NFT.

NFTs are good for artists because it lets them sell their work twice, once physically and once as an NFT

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I can't watch YouTube without BUY CRYPTO NOW YOU CAN TRADE CRUYPTO ALL DAY WE BULL CEO CERTIFJED BUY BUG BUY

BITCOINBUG.COM
BITCOINBUG.COM
BITCOINBUG.COM

ironically these appear on leftwing podcasts that are riffing on Crypto.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
NFTs remind me of the Beanie Baby craze in the late 90’s. At first everyone thought they were awesome and rare and very valuable.
Then seemingly overnight everyone agreed that actually they are dumb and there’s a million of them and they are worthless.
I feel like NFTs are in that first phase now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Piell posted:

NFTs are good for artists because it lets them sell their work twice, once physically and once as an NFT

They can sell it as many times as they want as a NFT

Also it doesn't have to be theirs

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

FMguru posted:

NFTs are also good for money laundering, for bringing money earned in the shadow economy into the real economy. I give you a duffel bag full of ecstasy pills and a URL pointing digital picture of a pretty flower, you say "Oh how pretty, I must have the NFT rights to the picture of this flower" and give me $500,000 and then you walk away with a URL pointing to a picture of a pretty flower (and also a duffel bag full of ecstasy pills). I then book my $500k drug deal as a perfectly legitimate sale of a digital asset, and now I can do anything I want with that money (once I pay all the appropriate taxes etc.)

The NFT is just a fig leaf, an arbitrary token to serve as cover for another transaction. It's like laundering money through a pizza joint or dry cleaners, except with lower overheard and less hassle.

Its the illicit potential of carpets without having to deal in physical carpets.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
NFTs are just the George C Parker Brooklyn Bridge scam but instead of a popular landmark it's a .png

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best analogy I've seen is that NFTs are literally a villain scheme from Captain Planet. You turn the system on and it produces nothing but pollution and cash in a rich guy's pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Piell posted:

How can they sell it as NFT if they already sold it physically? Isn't that kind of defeating the point of unique ownership? How is that different from selling an original and prints or digital copies?