Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Voodoofly posted:

Story with Injury stuff but still being awesome and wanting to do mtb things without flying off bike

First of all, your goals and motivation are awesome and we support you 100% give or take a n8r.

Your lbs might have some good thoughts, but I do think it's worth trying clipless on that leg of it remains an issue. Just be sure that leg is still good with the weird twist needed to get out in a jiffy. The sh56 multiposition release cleats may be something to look into to help eject in emergencies (I think that's the right model number anyway). You're familiar already so that should help your brain at least, and brains can get used to Lots of weirdly specific muscle routines given enough practice. So it may not be perfect, but given practice and if it makes you more comfortable/confident then that's all that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

n8r posted:

Riding one flat one clip is stupid.

Are you riding with a real flat pedal mtb shoe now? If not try that first.

If you were a person with no disabilities complaining about feet rattling off I’d say it’s bad technique. Given your issues maybe you get a little slack, but honestly this is likely a technique issue. Work on good body position and being in that attack position. If you don’t absorb bumps with your legs you’ll rattle off pedals regardless of disabilities.

You're really tone deaf sometimes

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Voodoofly posted:

I think I’ve explained it in here before (spinal fusion, basically no right quad, severe weakness in right leg) but an eMTB has allowed me to ride for first time in like 12 years.

I’m going to talk to my LBS but honestly my injuries make everything somewhat bespoke so more thoughts are always welcome, especially as this thread has some smart people.

I met a dude that rides a fat bike with a prosthetic leg I'm p sure his setup would work well for you. Unfortunately I forget his name but as soon as I get it I'll ask him what he runs. I'm p sure he's clipped in both sides.

Glad you're getting things sorted out so you can still hit the trails!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I haven’t tried adjusting tension on my clipless but I did shim one of the cleats, which made it a billion times easier to unclip.

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018
Clipless on one side sounds like it should work for you, so why not try it?

Because having your bike look good matters sometimes, you could run dual pedals that have flats and clipless. You could also take the cleat out of the one side of some bike shoes that have decently grippy bottoms.

This might also prevent the dumbasses who criticize your choice from noticing it while you are riding.

The biggest advantage to the eggbeater style is weight, in my opinion, so I'd look at SPD options first.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Voodoofly posted:

I think I’ve explained it in here before (spinal fusion, basically no right quad, severe weakness in right leg) but an eMTB has allowed me to ride for first time in like 12 years.

However I’m constantly trying to figure things out that work best with my limitations. I’ve had a hard time keeping my right leg on the pedal the last couple rides when poo poo gets rocky and bouncy, probably helping lead to a crash a couple weeks ago (I mean it was mostly me being stupid but leg flying off pedal didn’t help).

n8r posted:

Are you riding with a real flat pedal mtb shoe now? If not try that first.

If you were a person with no disabilities complaining about feet rattling off I’d say it’s bad technique. Given your issues maybe you get a little slack, but honestly this is likely a technique issue. Work on good body position and being in that attack position. If you don’t absorb bumps with your legs you’ll rattle off pedals regardless of disabilities.

I'm gonna call this poo poo out right here. You're saying the cycling equivalent of "git gud" to someone with a physical difference from you. This is a pure ableist garbage post and you should be ashamed for having made it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Thanks for all the replies and info and, while I appreciate the support, don't think n8r's post was as bad as some people are reading it. I didn't take any offense and I'd much rather someone reply with honest advice even if it doesn't work for my particular situation. He is right, I'm trying to figure out a cheat for a complete lack of technique, it's just in my case a cheat or bad technique will hopefully be better than my total lack of technique at the moment.

EvilJoven posted:

I met a dude that rides a fat bike with a prosthetic leg I'm p sure his setup would work well for you. Unfortunately I forget his name but as soon as I get it I'll ask him what he runs. I'm p sure he's clipped in both sides.

Glad you're getting things sorted out so you can still hit the trails!

I would definitely be interested in any info you can provide. I can also message you my email or something if you or he would prefer to pass it along that way.

PuErhTeabag posted:

Because having your bike look good matters sometimes,

Oh, it won't matter for me. I could care less how stupid I look if it means I'm riding. Besides, noting will ever stand out as much as my stem, and I don't think anyone with even a passing familiarity with bikes has seen that stem and not immediately asked what the hell was up with it. This forum included.

I'll let you all know how it goes, probably from more stories of eating poo poo and trying to figure out some other cheat to get around it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Has n8r apologized yet?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Voodoofly posted:

Besides, noting will ever stand out as much as my stem, and I don't think anyone with even a passing familiarity with bikes has seen that stem and not immediately asked what the hell was up with it. This forum included.

I'm taking the bait. Post the stem!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm taking the bait. Post the stem!

Guess I posted them in the e-bike thread, not here

vikingstrike posted:

Frame color is really good.

The one I rode as a demo was dull green, and had no idea I was getting a different color when I ordered it earlier this year. I'm happy with the blue, it goes well with the bell.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 30, 2021

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Frame color is really good.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Yeah, that color is real nice.

I'm wondering if it would potentially be better/safer to get a BMX style handlebar with a taller rise rather than an adjustable stem that could come loose over rough terrain?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

We are using the adjustable for now because it will most likely come down as we determine the best fit. I actually just dropped it a bit last week. It’s not intended to be a forever stem, and the LBS knows where I’m riding and don’t think I’m anywhere near able to hit a trial where it will give out before I do. Once we get a better understanding of how aggressive I can eventually go with it we will try and swap it for something more permanent.

They also check it for me every couple weeks (I check it every ride).

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

We are using the adjustable for now because it will most likely come down as we determine the best fit. I actually just dropped it a bit last week. It’s not intended to be a forever stem, and the LBS knows where I’m riding and don’t think I’m anywhere near able to hit a trial where it will give out before I do. Once we get a better understanding of how aggressive I can eventually go with it we will try and swap it for something more permanent.

They also check it for me every couple weeks (I check it every ride).

Ah, got. That makes sense. And it sounds like you're doing a good job looking after it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

paperwind posted:

I'm gonna call this poo poo out right here. You're saying the cycling equivalent of "git gud" to someone with a physical difference from you. This is a pure ableist garbage post and you should be ashamed for having made it.

Oh get over it.

I said with good technique he could solve his issue. How is this problematic?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Voodoofly posted:

The one I rode as a demo was dull green, and had no idea I was getting a different color when I ordered it earlier this year. I'm happy with the blue, it goes well with the bell.

One of my daughters has this bell. It is by far her favourite biking related thing and she dings the poo poo out of it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

n8r posted:

Oh get over it.

Lol wtf n8. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt before, and besides op was fine with it. But “good technique” is absolutely not going to solve the issue of a fused spine and a mostly missing leg muscle group. Come on. Problematic aside, it’s completely unhelpful

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

n8r posted:

Oh get over it.

Maybe with good technique you could make better posts.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Voodoofly posted:

I would definitely be interested in any info you can provide. I can also message you my email or something if you or he would prefer to pass it along that way.

One legged fatbiker dude just rides with MTB pedals. What are you riding on now? A decent set of pinned pedals with adjustable pins might be the best idea, but you might also find that SPDs are the best idea. Try both. There's another guy zipping around town on a road bike with only one leg, not even wearing a prosthetic, and that's how he does it.

Even if you can't stand up on the pedals keeping your heels down just like everyone else is definitely going to be part of the equation for keeping your feet from slipping. If it's comfortable for you a setback seat post might also make it easier to stabilize yourself while seated.

Look into a Satori Heads Up stem extender to replace that adjustable one. One of those or an equivalent should be roughly $30 CAD, raise your bars up a ton, and it'll be way more stable on rough terrain.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Got a dropper post installed on my Talon 3, it is cool and good and I see why it is such a popular component.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Blacknose posted:

:iceburn:

neato burrito posted:

Got a dropper post installed on my Talon 3, it is cool and good and I see why it is such a popular component.

Just finally budgeted enough to order a dropper post for my hardtail. Can't wait to get it in!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mashed_penguin posted:

One of my daughters has this bell. It is by far her favourite biking related thing and she dings the poo poo out of it.

Where did you people find this bell?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Where did you people find this bell?

The local trek store had a whole wall of them lots of cool designs.

PooPooMcNotme
Apr 19, 2021

by Nyc_Tattoo

n8r posted:

Oh get over it.

It's important to give people the benefit of the doubt, but lets see if that applies to n8r here by checking the brotastic cesspool that is the SA bike discord. Oh, it turns out n8r isn't just poo poo at bikes, he's poo poo at being a person!

Go

gently caress

Yourself

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Blacknose posted:

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Blacknose posted:

I'm retracting this burn. A bigoted piece of poo poo could never make Good Posts.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hi eyebeem

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

maybe also don’t drag offsite poo poo into the thread though

PooPooMcNotme
Apr 19, 2021

by Nyc_Tattoo

Haaaaaaaaaay!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

jesus WEP posted:

I'm gonna go with "knock if off, both of you". Or so help me I will turn this car around and we will NOT be going to Squamish today!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

jesus WEP posted:

^^^^

PooPooMcNotme
Apr 19, 2021

by Nyc_Tattoo

Safety Dance posted:

I'm gonna go with "knock if off, both of you". Or so help me I will turn this car around and we will NOT be going to Squamish today!

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?s=20

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sweet dril post

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Dude's a fuckin ableist shithead, and is going to alienate more people with his attitude than ibm's post ever will and this is how yall react. Really?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

riding flats lets me nimbly shift my moral compass to stay centered between the totally equivalent positions of "ableist shithead" and "upset at ableist shithead"

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

n8r posted:

Safety Dance posted:

Wrap it up boys, the mods have spoken. Both sides are equal.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
The bike discord is actually pretty nice.

Of course, my point of comparison is the soccer one, which is loving horrendous.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

jesus WEP posted:

I was glad to be informed; I had joined the Discord but didn't spend enough time there to realize it was terrible.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

I'm gonna go with "knock if off, both of you".

Maybe you should go with taking a stand against ableism instead of enabling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

rngd in the womb posted:

Dude's a fuckin ableist shithead, and is going to alienate more people with his attitude than ibm's post ever will and this is how yall react. Really?

There's very fine people on both sides