Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

All the power is used for the proof of work system. It's often repeated that the entire bitcoin network would run fine on an NES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

How is the Visa system inefficient? That's probably your first problem there. Also the act of transacting on the blockchain is inextricably tied to mining, so you have to count mining. This is very wasteful as well since a lot of effort is NOT rewarded because if you don't win the hash lottery then it's completely wasted. Everything involving buttcoin is extremely wasteful.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

xtal posted:

It kind of betrays the idea that you care about climate at all, is all. Just pearl clutching as always. If you want your statements to hold any water you can't start and stop believing them when you're in the thread.

You're loving dumb as poo poo.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Like I'm not even kidding I don't care if you're just asking questions you are the most poo poo for brains poster in this entire thread. Maybe the whole site who knows!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Bright Bart posted:

How does Bitcoin use so much power per transaction? Is it actually 1 million times what Visa uses to send BTC transcation information to all the nodes using a very inefficient system?

If they're counting mining then that doesn't seem fair: you would have to compare the energy expenditure for someone to earn $20 USD with $20 USD worth of mined coin.

Something tells me they aren't counting mining.

Mining is how transactions are processed

Source4Leko posted:

Like I'm not even kidding I don't care if you're just asking questions you are the most poo poo for brains poster in this entire thread. Maybe the whole site who knows!

Nice meltdown

xtal fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 30, 2021

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

xtal posted:

Mining is how transactions are processed

Nice meltdown

:lmao:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Xtal spent too much time locked in a room with their miners and it cooked their brains. Sad really.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
nvm, already answered

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Source4Leko posted:

Xtal spent too much time locked in a room with their miners and it cooked their brains. Sad really.

Hey now I may be a libertarian but - oh, carry on

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Awwww so you admit mentally you're still 12 years old thats cute.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

imagine being the kind of loving rear end in a top hat that on the same page this is posted goes "oh hey i do art, can i still make a buck off this though?"

imagine being so butthurt about people asking questions in the bitcoin thread that you have to call them assholes

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blunt posted:

Beef provides infinitely more value to society than bitcoin does.

heart disease, obesity, pollution, cancer, and great taste.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

xtal posted:

Sorry, I've seen through the climate posturing for a long time and it finally bothered me today! :shrug:

I'm not even apologizing for the energy use, which is indefensible, just pointing out the pearl clutching.

this thing is utterly indefensible and I agree with all these posters pointing out how it's indefensible, but what if their motives are not 100% pure and consistent, I must say something. i have no point but I must post

xtal posted:

As to your question I don't have any bitcoin activity.
That's a strange phrasing. Out of curiosity, do you hold any bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies? When was your last bitcoin activity?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I'm bitcoinly active and now have a rash in my dick.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

xtal posted:

If you were complaining about pollution and not taking any steps to reduce your own pollution, no, you can't talk, lol. I don't think something like "riding a bike" is too much to ask before you whine about climate.

Take these bad faith arguments to the D&D climate change thread and see how long you last.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Don't even bother engaging with xlol; their whole deal is just ping-ponging between different threads and getting owned. Also a bunch of said getting owned is, at best, inconsistent:

-Is some super-secret whitehat who has reported a bunch of critical software vulnerabilities, but struggles to explain how anything works.
-Is afraid of being doxxed by charity donation transaction IDs yet openly posts in a LAN thread.
-Posted about getting covid, so is either not employable in tech despite super-secret whitehat skills and works in a dangerous environment / not from home, or is simply dumb enough to wear their mask over their eyes instead of their mouth. The latter would at least explain their posts.
-Lives in Canada yet claims they can't vote due to being a convicted felon. I'm not a lawyer, but that gives away they're an American residing in the area of said LAN thread who would possibly be inadmissable to Canada on the basis of said conviction. Or it's bullshit, because a criminal conviction or even incarceration is not a bar to voting in Canada. We don't even have felony and misdemeanor distinction in Canada, or at least not in that wording. Either way, lovely operational security if you're hiding from CBSA up here, but it sure does explain why they can't access banking or credit!
-Regardless of the above, kept trying to flog people with limp accusation of voting for Biden. Maybe they really are Yet You Participate In Society guy :confused:

Before the next contender for Worst GBS Mod thinks of probing me for doxxing, this is all stuff I remember because xlol posts in 3+ threads I subscribe to and none of it required even using the search function, so please gently caress off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Source4Leko posted:

Awwww so you admit mentally you're still 12 years old thats cute.

no he said he’s a libertarian 12 years old is what he wants to change the age of consent to

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

buttcoin

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
"buttcoin" is probably the best description of how the BMW sounds

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shumagorath posted:

some creepy stuff

that sure is a bunch of crap to remember about some poster. like it's a bit creepy.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I recently learned thst there are dick coins and would love to own some just to tell people "yeah I'm in crypto, I own 1000 dickcoins. Dickcoins. Yes, dickcoins. No they're actually really great, going Tits up is a feature!"

But alas, they're only traded on some shady platform and Im not touching that.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

that sure is a bunch of crap to remember about some poster. like it's a bit creepy.

it's not all that hard to remember stuff like that when someone shows such dedication to showing their rear end nonstop in multiple threads frequented by similar groups of posters. I remember a few of these just from reading xlol's dumb posts in this and the YOSPOS bitcoin thread, the charity donation one was funny because (if I remember right) a self-avowed skilled computer-toucher had a pages-long meltdown in which they freaked out over the fear of doxxing themself by posting a screenshot of a receipt, because they had apparently never heard of the concept of redacting personal poo poo off of a screenshot

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stanley Pain posted:

what i'm going to remember about the poster stanley pain is he sure likes to jump to the defense of bad posters

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Destroy every bitcoin. berate every liker of bitcoins with cruel jibes

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

what i'm going to remember about the poster stanley pain is he sure likes to jump to the defense of bad posters

In stanley pain's defense, if the bitcoin thread had pages of old posts where I defended my cryptocurrency mining habit by getting the energy consumption math wrong by an order of magnitude, I too would be urging everyone to forget old bad posts by bad posters in the bitcoin thread

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How is this not an emote already.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hammerite posted:

Destroy every bitcoin. berate every liker of bitcoins with cruel jibes

:hmmyes:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the thing that annoys me about the energy consumption thing is that Coiners counter with the same science/tech fetistism that assumes tat green energy will anyday now have an amazing break through. please just let the public come around on nuclear.

also that Musk is literally iron man movie 1 making a super energy science thing.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

nah the thread just likes to be hostile to people asking questions or discussing things.

Blotto_Otter posted:

it's not all that hard to remember stuff like that when someone shows such dedication to showing their rear end nonstop in multiple threads frequented by similar groups of posters. I remember a few of these just from reading xlol's dumb posts in this and the YOSPOS bitcoin thread, the charity donation one was funny because (if I remember right) a self-avowed skilled computer-toucher had a pages-long meltdown in which they freaked out over the fear of doxxing themself by posting a screenshot of a receipt, because they had apparently never heard of the concept of redacting personal poo poo off of a screenshot

bad poster bad but that doesn't make bullet point callouts any less creepy for me.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Stanley Pain posted:

This argument comes up a lot on these forums and I don’t get it. Everyone acts like you’re breaking the bounds of decency by clicking the little question mark on someone’s post. Sometimes poo poo people on these forums say sticks with you.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
xtol was the guy who supposedly bought a bicycle and got screwed by currency conversions because somehow his canadian bike shop didn't take canadian dollars? except he didn't actually get screwed he called his bank and they helped him out and somehow that whole made up scenario was a pro-crypto thing?

i can remember things sometimes

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

People, you're being creepy by remembering things!!1

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why dont they just make a bitcoin that works on people running a treadmill that generates power instead of wastes it?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

kw0134 posted:

People, you're being creepy by remembering things!!1

If only there was an immutable public ledger...............................

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm just asking questions about how easy it is to fleece people by using the mutant child of a ponzi scheme and an old timey con man selling you the brooklyn bridge while wasting such a catastrophic amount of energy it's literally zeroed out all advancements made by solar power over the past 30 years, why are you all so hostile? they're just questions!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Khanstant posted:

why dont they just make a bitcoin that works on people running a treadmill that generates power instead of wastes it?

Because then someone would just figure out a way to put their car on the treadmill and now you're burning even more fossil fuels. What we need is a way to harness the stupidity of people to fuel crypto mining.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Damnit, well I got one more idea in the barrel. It's a type of currency that makes you poorer the more of it you have, it's a way to get rich people to not be rich anymore. obviously the smart thing to do would be to have less too-much money and spend it or give it away but i dont think psychologically the richies will be able to let go of currency just because it's technically more to have less. like screw having a billion unearned, immoral-to-even-hold-this-quantity-of-wealth dollars, when you could have a hundred trillion minipennies!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Machiavelli himself woke up, saw bitcoin and blushed

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

wyoak posted:

xtol was the guy who supposedly bought a bicycle and got screwed by currency conversions because somehow his canadian bike shop didn't take canadian dollars? except he didn't actually get screwed he called his bank and they helped him out and somehow that whole made up scenario was a pro-crypto thing?

i can remember things sometimes

Check bitcoin ledger to be sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Damnit, well I got one more idea in the barrel. It's a type of currency that makes you poorer the more of it you have, it's a way to get rich people to not be rich anymore. obviously the smart thing to do would be to have less too-much money and spend it or give it away but i dont think psychologically the richies will be able to let go of currency just because it's technically more to have less. like screw having a billion unearned, immoral-to-even-hold-this-quantity-of-wealth dollars, when you could have a hundred trillion minipennies!

I mean, if we're just spit-balling here then I think feeding the wealthiest 0.1% each year into a human wood chipper would probably sort out a lot of these issues as well.