Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mutata posted:

Don't get me wrong, I want all of the cool tech poo poo. I thought we were headed for the singularity at one point. In the past 7-8 years though, I've seen all of the stuff that I used to get hyped about come to pass but in the stupidest, most destructive, laziest, most unethical ways possible and now I, the techiest nerd in my family, am trying to convince my friends and family to delete their social media accounts and going out of my way to buy dumb-devices.

The future sucks because it got monkey-pawed. https://www.instagram.com/p/BOvg8InluZT/?igshid=47ox3hw44kcz

What I hoped for: "what if we made Creston but accessible to the lay person?"

What we got: "lol what if we made it break if the internet goes down and spew viruses when it's up and sometimes we just turn it off and make them pay us again to turn it back on but as a SURPRISE?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Same.
I picked up a Samsung hub with the hopes that zwave/zigbee would be somewhat of a standard. Instead there's a mishmash of 2.4ghz wifi poo poo and zigbee stuff.

I could NOT for the life of me find a set of candelabra bulbs that were dimmable that were ZigBee. Instead of a standard there's 20 apps and 30 standards etc.

I really enjoyed having a few smart bulbs that I could turn off and dim on schedule / with voice etc. I liked not having to turn around when my fiancé thought she might have left her hair straightner on. Instead I'm going back to dumb bulbs and just using a handful of smart plugs all from the same brand to deal with lamps etc. There's no standardization constant dropouts and disconnects of some products, low lifecycle on a few of my smart blubs. (smart part doesn't connect but bulb is fine). I really wanted to have the house of the future but :capitalism: got in the way everyone needs their own app and standard so they can invade your habits and sell em.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is this new-to-me thing with dishwashers opening up 5-15 minutes near the end a good idea? I tested my new one out and at first I thought it was broken but apparently it's a thing. I am worried about all that mist coming out but apparently (I have to check my model) there's a little fan that sucks it in and just heat escapes. It helps drying faster they say.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Its not bad, but the CrystalDry Bosch is better.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is 42x48 not a standard mirror size? looks like no. I have a crack in mine because I'm a dumbass (a recurring theme). My building is full of fixtures and spacings that are not standard at all, so if you ever need to replace or update something it's really annoying

weird loving mirror size (I'll probably do 36x48 after having the wall behind it fixed up and painted) - not sure if having a crack in the corner compromises the rest of the mirror or not, but replacement might be for the best anyone just for appearance, and also the sides have a bunch of old paint on them because the painter, who was kind of an idiot, didn't go around it properly. Then I'll probably stick a backsplash in.

weird fridge size (only works with 33", and since it's a galley kitchen having counter depth is really helpful, only thing is there are a total of four 33" counter depth fridges on the market)

weird sink cabinet size (39" next to a 21" cabinet, instead of 36" next to 24")

All of this home renovation/repair/etc. stuff is pretty new to me, and it's amazing what you notice. Like when I replaced all the outlets with decora ones, they were all really lovely stab connections, in one corner they didn't do the mudding right so there's a visible line, etc.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 29, 2021

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

actionjackson posted:

Is 42x48 not a standard mirror size? looks like no. I have a crack in mine because I'm a dumbass (a recurring theme). My building is full of fixtures and spacings that are not standard at all, so if you ever need to replace or update something it's really annoying

weird loving mirror size (I'll probably do 36x48 after having the wall behind it fixed up and painted) - not sure if having a crack in the corner compromises the rest of the mirror or not, but replacement might be for the best anyone just for appearance, and also the sides have a bunch of old paint on them because the painter, who was kind of an idiot, didn't go around it properly. Then I'll probably stick a backsplash in.

weird fridge size (only works with 33", and since it's a galley kitchen having counter depth is really helpful, only thing is there are a total of four 33" counter depth fridges on the market)

weird sink cabinet size (39" next to a 21" cabinet, instead of 36" next to 24")

All of this home renovation/repair/etc. stuff is pretty new to me, and it's amazing what you notice. Like when I replaced all the outlets with decora ones, they were all really lovely stab connections, in one corner they didn't do the mudding right so there's a visible line, etc.

Depending on where and how big the crack is you could possibly cut down the old mirror to remove the cracked area instead of buying a new one.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Final Blog Entry posted:

Depending on where and how big the crack is you could possibly cut down the old mirror to remove the cracked area instead of buying a new one.

Ah, I didn't know you could do that. It's in the bottom right corner, so I could cut off the bottom and I'd have about a 39x48 mirror (I'll pretend I'd have the ability to do such a thing!)

but on the other hand, the 36x48 glacier bay mirror is only $50, so maybe that and just put in a backsplash to fill the larger gap is best, especially since I'm already having the floor tiling done.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mutata posted:

Don't get me wrong, I want all of the cool tech poo poo. I thought we were headed for the singularity at one point. In the past 7-8 years though, I've seen all of the stuff that I used to get hyped about come to pass but in the stupidest, most destructive, laziest, most unethical ways possible and now I, the techiest nerd in my family, am trying to convince my friends and family to delete their social media accounts and going out of my way to buy dumb-devices.

The future sucks because it got monkey-pawed. https://www.instagram.com/p/BOvg8InluZT/?igshid=47ox3hw44kcz

https://twitter.com/ppathole/status/1116670170980859905

In reality tech workers loving hate printers but it's still funny.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I do like yelling at a hockey puck to make my lights turn off, so that's about all I require.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Rexxed posted:

That's why shooting it is the obvious thing to do if the bastard machine steps even one iota out of line

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

PC Load Lead

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

corgski posted:

PC Load Lead

:golfclap:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rexxed posted:

This is true. I will never, ever buy a printer for my house. I can just use the bullshit at work. gently caress their wonky rear end drivers and bullshit that just stops working for no reason.

"How you'd fix it Vintersorg?"

No idea.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Vintersorg posted:

This is true. I will never, ever buy a printer for my house. I can just use the bullshit at work. gently caress their wonky rear end drivers and bullshit that just stops working for no reason.

"How you'd fix it Vintersorg?"

No idea.

I felt this way until I got a Brother, and now every time it doesn't immediately work I think "ah poo poo, here it is, it's finally breaking" and then i realize it's out of paper

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

more falafel please posted:

I felt this way until I got a Brother, and now every time it doesn't immediately work I think "ah poo poo, here it is, it's finally breaking" and then i realize it's out of paper

:same:

11 years out of my old one. Then worst problem I had with it was printing on super heavy card stock. Turns out you do need to tell it you're using cardstock and to open the back door so it feeds straight through from the single sheet slot in the front to the back. It died the day my brother color laser printer arrived, it was a hilarious coincidence. It's like it knew its time was done.

We also have to have one, my wife prints out sewing patterns and such. Between that and working from home full time I don't have a printer to steal pages from anymore, and certainly nothing convenient enough.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Rexxed posted:

In reality tech workers loving hate printers use the printer at work that is someone else's maintenance problem but it's still funny.

I don't think I've printed anything at home in the last 6 years

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

more falafel please posted:

My brother occasionally goes into a deep sleep that is difficult to get it out of, and if I turn off deep sleep mode it likes to sit making a weird loud cycling noise that seems to consume a lot of power, but it works otherwise.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That capital B sure is important for that post.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My brother sometimes makes a lot of noise when I turn him on but after he finishes spraying his ink on my sheets he quiets down.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

The Dave posted:

That capital B sure is important for that post.

Lol same

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Danhenge posted:

My brother occasionally goes into a deep sleep that is difficult to get it out of, and if I turn off deep sleep mode it likes to sit making a weird loud cycling noise that seems to consume a lot of power, but it works otherwise.

If you don't use wifi or any magic auto bullshit printing it should work fine. Ethernet w/ a ip4 tcp connection should work every time.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rexxed posted:

that tweet is me and we had to get a printer because of pandemic WFH

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

IoT update: saw a fridge at home depot where you knock on the door twice to see what's inside (????)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

my fridge is exactly one piss-me-off away from being replaced and i kind of like the one where there's a little door in the door to get to quick use stuff

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Deviant posted:

my fridge is exactly one piss-me-off away from being replaced and i kind of like the one where there's a little door in the door to get to quick use stuff

I never understood the point of those, you still have to open a door either way!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I guess the point is less air exchange might save energy, but I'd be surprised if it was a drastic change

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 30, 2021

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

FCKGW posted:

I never understood the point of those, you still have to open a door either way!

Yes but this door is smaller

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Isn't that, like, the whole point of a french door?

When I worked at Menards in college, they carried a model with basically a veggie tray that was its own exterior-access door. Perfect for grabbing little snacks but not actually opening the whole fridge

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 30, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

when you knock on the door the guard to Oz pops his head out

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Followup to range hood chat a couple weeks ago:

Last time I was asking about what my options were to improve the above range microwave ventilation and the short answer was "get a real range hood". At first glance I thought I didn't have enough counter space to move the microwave too, but it later occurred to me that the microwave I have is much larger than I need.

Is there any downside to getting a compact microwave? I paid attention to everything I used it for over a couple weeks and even the ~0.7 ft^3 models have enough internal space to fit anything I might want. At that size it'll fit easily on my counters but I'm worried there's something I'm missing as far as functionality for small microwaves.

Second, if there aren't any major downsides, what should I be looking for in a range hood? The space is 30" wide and there's a duct installed already. I always lean towards the simplest options for appliances so I'm not expecting much more than on/off and flow rate settings.

Current setup for reference:

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

If you don't use wifi or any magic auto bullshit printing it should work fine. Ethernet w/ a ip4 tcp connection should work every time.

Unfortunately I cheaped out and bought the wifi with no ethernet model

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Danhenge posted:

I've never had a problem with the wifi on mine. I thought I did a couple months ago, but then my phone and laptop couldn't connect to wifi either, so it was just the router.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Danhenge posted:

On mine the magic bullshit would fail after a while in deep sleep. Disabling it fixed it 99%. Then I switched to wired and it was done being broken.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Sanity check on fascia replacement:

We've had to repair several spots due to rot (need gutter guards lmao). Been doing fiber cement, PO did PVC in a couple spots.

In any case, just got an estimate back at $750 each for 2 small sections ($1,500 total for probably 20') of fascia only. This same company about a year ago did a 22' section of fiber cement fascia PLUS PT sub-fascia AND fiber cement soffit AND a new aluminum gutter for the whole length for like $850 (all fiber cement).

Is this gently caress you pricing, or are things that crazy right now?

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 30, 2021

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

DaveSauce posted:

We've had to repair several spots due to rot (need gutter guards lmao). Been doing fiber cement, PO did PVC in a couple spots.

In any case, just got an estimate back at $750 each for 2 small sections ($1,500 total for probably 20') of fascia only. This same company about a year ago did a 22' section of fiber cement fascia PLUS PT sub-fascia AND fiber cement soffit AND a new aluminum gutter for the whole length for like $850 (all fiber cement).

We recently got a section of rotten soffit (maybe 12-15'?) replaced and a downspout replaced at the same time for $500. Material for the soffit wasn't anything fancy - looked like just a pre-painted 1x6.

In these times I'm honestly not sure whether our guy was just cheap and we lucked out on not being gouged or you are being gouged/quoted in line with the times.

Though if we need our guy to come back to fix our box gutters, he warned us that'll be expensive because of the cost/scarcity of materials (mostly the tin or copper for the lining).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Man I'm glad I got my gutters when I did. Seamless steel gutters around my entire house (a typical 2000 sqft single story) for only $700. This was 3 years ago.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Followup to range hood chat a couple weeks ago:

Last time I was asking about what my options were to improve the above range microwave ventilation and the short answer was "get a real range hood". At first glance I thought I didn't have enough counter space to move the microwave too, but it later occurred to me that the microwave I have is much larger than I need.

Is there any downside to getting a compact microwave? I paid attention to everything I used it for over a couple weeks and even the ~0.7 ft^3 models have enough internal space to fit anything I might want. At that size it'll fit easily on my counters but I'm worried there's something I'm missing as far as functionality for small microwaves.

Second, if there aren't any major downsides, what should I be looking for in a range hood? The space is 30" wide and there's a duct installed already. I always lean towards the simplest options for appliances so I'm not expecting much more than on/off and flow rate settings.

Current setup for reference:

I know little to nothing about microwaves that sit on counters (I'm in minority here about them belonging on counters).

One feature I always want and look for in a microwave is convection oven support and heating lamp.

It's a you don't know you needed it until you have it thing. I'd guess that's not available in some smaller microwave. Perhaps just make sure your standard sized plate fits in it?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I'm biased against range hood microwaves in general but if you want a convection oven, lots of ranges have that feature too and are better sized to make use of it than a microwave. Personally the only thing I've noticed about my smaller countertop microwave that's mildly annoying is that my large plates don't fit in it. But it's not annoying enough to make me want to get a behemoth of a microwave I'd barely use.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

DaveSauce posted:

That seems nuts, but maybe in part because it's such a small job. Just ask them? Maybe you can identify another 20' of fascia work and see if they'll do all 40' for $2k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have something like this. JP prices are around $200-400. It's simple and powerful and easy to clean. Nicer models can automatically turn on with a paired IH stove.

https://na.panasonic.com/us/home-an...mney-range-hood