Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're going to work for a large company your sanity requires that you make your peace early in your career with the fact that to your boss's boss you're nothing more than a faceless interchangeable cog in the machine, and no one above that level is even aware you exist. Having a strong need for personal validation is going to give you a real bad time in the corporate environment.

Weeellll you say that but I get on well with my bosses boss and I'm pretty sure his boss know who I am as well, though this is in part because we used to be a lot smaller and I sat right near him for ages. Also not an American Corp which helps.

Now whether there's any benefit from this I'm less sure on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oh god I'm on a Zoom Teams call and the CEO wants us all to turn on our microphones and sing happy birthday. I'll reply in a few minutes with the hellresults.

edit: Yeah, that was about what I expected. :psypop:

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 30, 2021

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Was it their birthday or someone else's?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MJP posted:

I'm mad that it doesn't even ensure the basic dignity of putting my dang name in there.

Omne posted:

It looks like a form rejection email where they forgot to include the details, keeping the placeholder text instead (i.e. '[*JOBTITLE*]' and '[*FORENAME*]')

Oh I thought you redacted it like that JFC

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 1, 2021

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

Oh I thought you redacted it like that JFC

The only redactions are the red scribbles - my name and the company name. Everything else is verbatim, exactly what I received via email and in my HRSystem inbox.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Rude. Is there a specific word for disgraceful corporate conduct? If not, there needs to be one.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bee posted:

Rude. Is there a specific word for disgraceful corporate conduct? If not, there needs to be one.

Don't need a specific word for disgraceful corporate conduct if all corporate conduct is disgraceful

eddie murphy tapping forehead.gif

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

MJP posted:

No, c’mon man, you can’t be serious

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cacafuego posted:

No, c’mon man, you can’t be serious

I am serious, and stop calling me c'mon man

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I had an employer threaten not paying out accrued vacation because I gave them a week and a half instead of two weeks notice. They ended up paying so no idea on the legality, this was in DC.

I love the notice thing, since it's a courtesy :lol: so many companies forget that the whole "at will" bullshit goes both ways - sure, they can fire me or lay me off without notice, but I can walk my rear end out the door without notice too & there's gently caress all they can do.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The trouble is, there is something they can do--give you the big ol' Not Eligible For Rehire black mark, which in many cases can seriously constrict your future options. Even in that, the company has more power than the employee--there is no way an employee can cause any pain whatsoever to a company that fires them without notice--and takes full advantage.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MJP posted:

Don't need a specific word for disgraceful corporate conduct if all corporate conduct is disgraceful

That’s not Eddie Murphy tapping his forehead. Maybe they didn’t promote you cause you can’t tell black mustached people apart.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MJP posted:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017/02/roll-safe-the-guy-tapping-head-meme-explained.html

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I love the notice thing, since it's a courtesy :lol: so many companies forget that the whole "at will" bullshit goes both ways - sure, they can fire me or lay me off without notice, but I can walk my rear end out the door without notice too & there's gently caress all they can do.

Depending on the state, they can make aspects of your compensation dependent on providing additional notice. It's loving stupid, but yeah. :\

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

BOOTY-ADE posted:

It's real good at this place, because HR won't even consider the position opening up until the person is gone. Then the open position will go through rounds of considerations with C levels and HR to see if it's really necessary to fill. With this bullshit combined with the regular hiring nonsense, the end result is that a position can take 4-6 months to backfill. The 2 weeks notice period means jack poo poo.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MJP posted:

The only redactions are the red scribbles - my name and the company name. Everything else is verbatim, exactly what I received via email and in my HRSystem inbox.

You'll want to check your company policies regarding PTO, and then probably your local state laws. Some states have a "you must follow your own written policies about PTO payouts" law and nothing more. But I typically prefer to just burn my vacation days on vacations before I quit, the time off is typically more valuable to me, especially when I'm at the point of quitting (because I'm typically burned out for one reason or another and time away from the job helps me recover some level of calm and happiness, and because starting a new job is stressful for a host of reasons and I'd rather have as much downtime as I can get between those two situations). If you need the money that's another thing though.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I honestly thought that picture was from an 80s/90s film and I realise now I based that solely on the watch he's got on.

I never even saw the BBC 3 ident in the top left!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Dugong posted:

Oh my lord, I’ve started some work with a pretty large consultancy and the amount of jargon they use is unbelievable. How does anything get done.
Corporate Megathead: How does anything get done?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am 100% at fault for mixing up Kayode Ewumi for Eddie Murphy. poo poo, I have some serious learning to do based on that and TY for honest calling-out on it, goons.

Che Delilas posted:

You'll want to check your company policies regarding PTO, and then probably your local state laws. Some states have a "you must follow your own written policies about PTO payouts" law and nothing more. But I typically prefer to just burn my vacation days on vacations before I quit, the time off is typically more valuable to me, especially when I'm at the point of quitting (because I'm typically burned out for one reason or another and time away from the job helps me recover some level of calm and happiness, and because starting a new job is stressful for a host of reasons and I'd rather have as much downtime as I can get between those two situations). If you need the money that's another thing though.

I finally dug through the really not well-publicized employee handbook and they say that accrued but unused PTO time is paid "upon separation." It seems too good to be true that they would give me the PTO I didn't use if I voluntarily quit, including any carry-over from last year that wasn't taken yet. That's basically half my bonus before taxes. Gonna have to print that out and ask a lawyer if "upon separation" doesn't get corporate interpreted to "separation =/= volquit"

Time to treat my working days as PTO days and just keep banking the bonus

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MJP posted:

I am 100% at fault for mixing up Kayode Ewumi for Eddie Murphy. poo poo, I have some serious learning to do based on that and TY for honest calling-out on it, goons.

Don't feel too bad; I thought it was him the first time I saw the gif too.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Business, Finance, and Careers > Corporate Megathread: Design BDSM, Implement BDSM, Operate BDSM, Monitor BDSM, Improve BDSM

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I haven't had a notice period shorter than 3 months since 2007.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
If you're not following the implosion at Basecamp, you're missing out: https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/30/22412714/basecamp-employees-memo-policy-hansson-fried-controversy

--------------

Eric the Mauve posted:

Business, Finance, and Careers > Corporate Megathread: Design BDSM, Implement BDSM, Operate BDSM, Monitor BDSM, Improve BDSM

Seconded.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Trabant posted:

If you're not following the implosion at Basecamp, you're missing out: https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/30/22412714/basecamp-employees-memo-policy-hansson-fried-controversy

--------------

Seconded.

I've been following on Twitter and the article is a good summary.

The bosses got their bluff called way harder than they expected. I think part of the severance offer after the asinine policy change was hoping to shed a few big salaries and maybe pressure out "troublemakers" but they've lost a *third* of the company, including some people who were key in building their flagship stuff. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
https://www.platformer.news/p/-what-really-happened-at-basecamp

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

IT'S TOO LONG. :(

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sundae posted:

That's why we have safewords!! :haw:

Can we run it up the flagpole without the Design BDSM and see who salutes?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sundae posted:

I’m sure you could whip it into shape.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's why we have safewords!! :haw:

Can we run it up the flagpole without the Design BDSM and see who salutes?

Leave off the last two since no one ever does them anyway :v:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My boss dropped by Friday afternoon and suggested I apply for this analytical position that has been created under him (I'm in operations).

I guess I don't really have a choice, huh.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Business, Finance, and Careers > Corporate Megathread: Design, Implement, Operate, Monitor, Improve BDSM

Right-sized to enhance synergy.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Warmachine posted:

I think Omne was clarifying for CFP that the problem wasn't the rejection. It was that they didn't even bother to fill out the template. Which yeah. Not getting a position is disappointing. The hiring team not even bothering to reject you properly is insulting.

Volmarias posted:

... I think that's the point?

Also

secular woods sex posted:

Right-sized to enhance synergy.

You don't have to hurt the thread for us to get the joke you know.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
nm

stellers bae fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 2, 2021

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

God bless my boss' soul for working around red tape and getting me a resource I had requested. But how the gently caress am I going to interact with someone who works 9pm-5am when I work 7:30am-4pm? :sigh:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

theHUNGERian posted:

God bless my boss' soul for working around red tape and getting me a resource I had requested. But how the gently caress am I going to interact with someone who works 9pm-5am when I work 7:30am-4pm? :sigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV_3Dpw-BRY

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

theHUNGERian posted:

In my long time experience as a night guy, don't worry, they'll make him come in early.

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 2, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

:golfclap:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Trabant posted:

--------------

Seconded.

I read it as implosion at bandcamp at first and was disappointed because I generally like that company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Business, Finance, and Careers > Corporate Megathread: We're renaming HR to BDSM.