Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

a friend of mine is hiking the pct this season too. sounds like a good time of suffering and self discovery and whatnot.

I'm backpacking Enchanted Valley [olympic rainforest] tomorrow and the forecast shows two straight days of cold rain :|

yay for type 2 fun

Nice. I want to do some long through hike sometime. I did the ozette triangle today and it was :coal:.

Some unprepared couple urged us to turn back about halfway through because they had a hell of a time. They were clearly out of their element and we did the rest of the trail despite their warnings and it was just fine. Saw a bunch of black tail deer and a sea otter :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

10 miles into the olympic rainforest :allears:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

10 miles into the olympic rainforest :allears:

drat that looks sick as hell. im going in october (not backpacking just hiking for a few days and staying at the np hotel). hope its not too cold.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sick mother loving pictures people. keep it up

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

some artists made a "fairy village" in a local park

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

those book titles are all very :3:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
hope they have real books for any kids that wander by

remember that pressed faerie book?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i'm thinking about those gnomes

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i haven't been working for a month and i start a new job on monday and yeah i'm ready to leave again

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

quick, find some trees before it's too late

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
about to go out to a god forsaken desert and light a fire and look at the stars. finally

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
hell yeah

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

nice, I maybe get around and go on a walk in local forest this weekend

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hell yeah. Im planning on sitting by a lake this weekend and grilling some stuff, maybe splash around in a kayak

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

made it to desert. saw messier 5 & 13, honeycomb cluster and coma cluster. tried to find some other stuff but my binoculars aren't very high power.

also saw a cavalcade of starlink satellites, twice. a tribute to musks hubris

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

made it to desert. saw messier 5 & 13, honeycomb cluster and coma cluster. tried to find some other stuff but my binoculars aren't very high power.

also saw a cavalcade of starlink satellites, twice. a tribute to musks hubris

that's awesome

and that sucks

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it was impressive seeing them, kinda. but also, yeah. I guess astronomy had a good run

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

also I built a fire and now I smell like fire

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I periodically get a wild hair and start looking at telescopes and even stuff like the little spotting scopes that you can hook an iphone camera into.

I don't wanna calculate the orbital period of binary stars or any wild poo poo like that but I would definitely like to see some saturn rings etc etc.

and man those superzoom cameras do a bang-up job of the moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJC2MeCSNCM

1k for that is stunning and would make galileo cry

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I want to take the boys for a walk but lol now rugby season started so saturday mornings are about watching kids run into each other

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

I periodically get a wild hair and start looking at telescopes and even stuff like the little spotting scopes that you can hook an iphone camera into.

I don't wanna calculate the orbital period of binary stars or any wild poo poo like that but I would definitely like to see some saturn rings etc etc.

and man those superzoom cameras do a bang-up job of the moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJC2MeCSNCM

1k for that is stunning and would make galileo cry

i got a super cheap scope (like 90mm) with a tripod and in clear skies can get really cool views of planets and stuff (imo anyway). it's the nebulas and stuff which are hard to see and cost $$$$

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I've been meaning to figure out if there's a smart/cheaper way of building a scope vs. buying one off the shelf. my dad used to make telescopes, ground the mirrors and everything, you needed to send them off to get metalized though and I dunno if those services are still around

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
my mom found my highschool-era telescope in her basement, i thought my dad had sold it off years ago. probably a 6" newtonian iirc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’m at the rugby game and talking to my other kid who doesn’t like sport and I was saying about how rugby son is super hesitant because he’s just recovered from a broken arm, last season he didn’t play cos broke collar bone twice in a row, and season before he played soccer (he got player of the year) so it’s been years since he’s played tackle rugby and he’s hesitant, and I was saying he just needs to get tackled a few times to realise it doesn’t hurt and then son goes “but it does hurt” and I thought about it and occurred to me that the difference is that yeah it hurts, it’s pain, but there is no suffering.

this is something on some levels I knew about coz a principle in meditation is trying come to a place where pain etc doesn’t cause suffering.. and now I’ve just realised a lot of that happens in sport

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
acute pain is very easy for me to handle (and i've always had a pretty good tolerance for pain imo) but the chronic pain that comes with rsi has done a number on my mental health

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

my place i'm at here overlooks a fairly big river with some rapids, and i was working in the kitchen making bread, when i looked out the window and saw a couple of kayakers having fun out this afternoon

pretty exciting for just at home making pizza

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

nice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

acute pain is very easy for me to handle (and i've always had a pretty good tolerance for pain imo) but the chronic pain that comes with rsi has done a number on my mental health

I can imagine. :/

do you get reprieve?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bump

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have a 4 day truck camping trip planned over memorial weekend and can not loving wait

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

Gonna take part in stalker themed larp event this weekend, so that's mostly walking around and grilling sausage over the fire, also counting on being able to set up small hammock camp with my 3 people group

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

how many geigers are you going to count?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

get out of here stalker

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

how many geigers are you going to count?

all of them

PokeJoe posted:

get out of here stalker

нет

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

24/7 cheeki breeki

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

bump

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Spent 5 days out of town and not checking work emails.

Found out half my direct reports took that time to accept job offers and that my boss is ""retiring"" in 2 weeks.

Should have just stayed away

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
sounds like they agreee

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Spent 5 days out of town and not checking work emails.

Found out half my direct reports took that time to accept job offers and that my boss is ""retiring"" in 2 weeks.

Should have just stayed away

my boss left last month and my company is so huge and old that they have completely lost track of my team since we're all wfh, and the stakes have never been lower. it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003