Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Canuck-Errant posted:

*sloooooowly slides IWW forms across stainless steel prep table*

This post got me all wobbly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Not sure what it's like now but it doesn't sound too great from reading the thread.

Edit: naw, there is no reason to make this response, we all know why you have the perception you do

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'm still fighting taking a lunch break because I think I'm going to get in trouble. I think I'm behind and slow when everyone is blown away by my performance. The industry causes severe mental damage to anyone in it for long enough.

It doesn't go away, either. Haven't been in a kitchen in 7 years now, still have those self worth issues and massive impostor syndrome.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
Even though I haven't left the industry, I just want to say that there -are- fulfilling, well-paying, sane-hours gigs out there. They're not in every city, and they're the minority of gigs, but they do exist. If you can leverage yourself creatively and professionally its possible to stay in a kitchen and not get sucked back into the typical spiral. I have a passion for food unlike anything else I've delved in to, and kitchens are were I've always felt at home. I have a degree in mechanical engineering but I work as a chef. This is the work that I want to continue to do until I retire. My folks pushed me into the engineering path but it just wasn't for me. The transformative process of bringing in ingredients and sending out one of the best plates a diner has ever had scratches that itch in my brain like nothing else can.

The biggest lesson I have learned in my career is to know what I'm worth. If my employer doesn't know it, then gently caress 'em. There's always another restaurant that will treat you better. If my employer doesn't know what the other people that I work with/for/over, then gently caress 'em too. I understand I'm in the minority here, and might as well be preaching "naw dude, you can totally use heroin responsibly, you just gotta know your limits." I've been lucky in the city I live to find like-minded employers after I jumped ship from the corporate world. Loyalty and taking the bait are all too common, I wish I knew how to verbalize what to look out for but I can't. Maybe I've just been obscenely lucky. I dunno, I just love making good food made from good ingredients provided by good people. It's a passion I never expected to have when I was younger but here I am. I'm happy and healthy and fulfilled. I'm sure the brain drugs and therapy are a big part of that but whatever, I look forward to going in to work every day. There's always something new to create and always something new to learn.

Anywho, don't get sucked into management without a full career plan, don't do too many drugs, keep at it if you truly have a passion for food, volunteer at soup kitchens, say hi to your neighbors and bring them tasty treats, take care of yourself, take care of your friends, if you work for a publicly traded restaurant group know that they don't actually care about you, try not to dip your pen in the company ink, eat vegetables, exercise a little, wear sunscreen, i dunno thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Healthcare related work can be sensible in terms of time and hours. I'll still defend the hospital I'm working at. Because even on busy days, it's still less stressful than any other restaurant work I've ever done. And far better pay at that, by the tune of like $3+/hour. (I saw an article the other day about some Diner elsewhere in Ohio having to shut down because they can't find people to work. Line cooks start at $12/hour. And yknow, gently caress that poo poo. Pay your workers dude or you don't loving deserve to stay open.) My benefits are good, and my pay is good and the hours are reasonable.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Oh I am sure there are individual positions out there in the industry that are fine and good, but the issue is that the industry at large is a horrible piece of garbage that needs to be burned to the ground. It is awful on every level, all the way down to cultural perception as chefs being these people who go on cooking competitions but who also somehow need to get real jobs. Every place is about to die because margins are so low, but raising prices is out of the question because consumers refuse to pay. The only way to keep afloat is to cut corners, understaff, and rely on gratuity to pay half the staff. Covid is really showing how bad things have been for years.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 16, 2021

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Oh I am sure there are individual positions out there in the industry that are fine and good, but the issue is that the industry at large is a horrible piece of garbage that needs to be burned to the ground. It is awful on every level, all the way down to cultural perception as chefs being these people who go on cooking competitions but who also somehow need to get real jobs. Every place is about to die because margins are so low, but raising prices is out of the question because consumers refuse to pay. The only way to keep afloat is to cut corners, understaff, and rely on gratuity to pay half the staff. Covid is really showing how bad things have been for years.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

:emptyquote:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:hmmyes:

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Heard!!
:discourse:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Shame this whole thing can't be a thread title.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Given current thread rhetoric on burning it to the ground, has this pamphlet been shared before? https://www.prole.info/pdfs/ar_english.pdf

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

droll posted:

Given current thread rhetoric on burning it to the ground, has this pamphlet been shared before? https://www.prole.info/pdfs/ar_english.pdf

It's like an alternate universe Chick Tract, exactly as strongly opinionated about the subject but the opinions are relatable and actually true.

I disagree with the part that says you only get better at doing your task faster and more competently because if you don't, the boss will yell at you. Yes, your boss will like you better (and better job security and chance of promotion) if you perform well, but that's not why you try to get better at it. If you're going to do something 1000 times every day at work, it is in your own interest to become efficient. It makes your job less of a hell to complete. And it is a tangible, quantifiable proof that you are good at doing things, you do them fast and do them well, and your work reference can confirm this when you are interviewing for a new job.

Fully automated luxury gay space communism is a good and cool long term goal, but while you are here in the trenches getting paid hourly to do a task, why not get good at it? You don't have to work harder to get more done. You aren't paid per market item produced.

Get good at a thing. The worst thing possible for you when you quit a poo poo job is to have spent those hundreds of hours with nothing to show. You're not getting a computer toucher cert, you're not getting a diploma, but you can still learn something, even if it's just the fastest way to dice vegetables or fold shirts.

Unless you are like, laying bricks for 12 hours straight, you can learn to do your job more efficiently and go home at the end of the day less exhausted. And it looks better on your resume to have a reference that's like "wow [username] works hard and fast, and picks up on technique" instead of just listing "chilis dishwasher" with your starting and ending work dates.

Outside of that, I agree with the communist manifesto restaurant worker comic book.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
oh also clinical depression throws a real wrench into those cogs! haha

The General
Mar 4, 2007

If I get good and efficient at doing a thing, my boss either wants more of that thing done, or wants me to do more things. Neither of those give me anything other than more work.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The General posted:

If I get good and efficient at doing a thing, my boss either wants more of that thing done, or wants me to do more things. Neither of those give me anything other than more work.

What about satisfaction and fulfillment in a job well dohahahaha

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

WITCHCRAFT posted:

It's like an alternate universe Chick Tract, exactly as strongly opinionated about the subject but the opinions are relatable and actually true.

I disagree with the part that says you only get better at doing your task faster and more competently because if you don't, the boss will yell at you. Yes, your boss will like you better (and better job security and chance of promotion) if you perform well, but that's not why you try to get better at it. If you're going to do something 1000 times every day at work, it is in your own interest to become efficient. It makes your job less of a hell to complete. And it is a tangible, quantifiable proof that you are good at doing things, you do them fast and do them well, and your work reference can confirm this when you are interviewing for a new job.

Fully automated luxury gay space communism is a good and cool long term goal, but while you are here in the trenches getting paid hourly to do a task, why not get good at it? You don't have to work harder to get more done. You aren't paid per market item produced.

Get good at a thing. The worst thing possible for you when you quit a poo poo job is to have spent those hundreds of hours with nothing to show. You're not getting a computer toucher cert, you're not getting a diploma, but you can still learn something, even if it's just the fastest way to dice vegetables or fold shirts.

Unless you are like, laying bricks for 12 hours straight, you can learn to do your job more efficiently and go home at the end of the day less exhausted. And it looks better on your resume to have a reference that's like "wow [username] works hard and fast, and picks up on technique" instead of just listing "chilis dishwasher" with your starting and ending work dates.

Outside of that, I agree with the communist manifesto restaurant worker comic book.

Get some therapy, how good you are at working hard is the dumbest loving measuring stick.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Sorry I think I got into a drunken argument with a PDF last night.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

:coolfish:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Today we were told that a food photographer would be in between 2 and 4 (so of course they showed up at noon, wtf) to take pictures of two of our signature biscuits. I figured it was some low rent blogger, nbd, but I still dropped the 3 most gorgeous pieces of chicken ever for their glamour shot.

Turns out it was for United Airlines' in-flight magazine. It's not the NYT or anything, but I'm kinda chuffed that people around the world might see a picture of my chicken while bored on the tarmac.

And I wish Sandwich Anarchist still had his airport job, so I could get a copy. :(

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 20, 2021

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Today we were told that a food photographer would be in between 2 and 4 (so of course they showed up at noon, wtf) to take pictures of two of our signature biscuits. I figured it was some low rent blogger, nbd, but I still dropped the 3 most gorgeous pieces of chicken ever for their glamour shot.

Turns out it was for United Airlines' in-flight magazine. It's not the NYT or anything, but I'm kinda chuffed that people around the world might see a picture of my chicken while bored on the tarmac.

And I wish Sandwich Anarchist still had his airport job, so I could get a copy. :(

I mean you could probably call or email United's customer service line, they'd probably be happy to send you a copy and to have a call where people aren't yelling at them over cancellations, delays, or lost luggage

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

United also puts their magazine online for free, could always save a copy. Probably also easier to share with others that way as well.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Lord why did I take a job at another golf course restaurant in a state where it rains. Only my 3rd day and its killing me with boredom.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Knowing people who have worked for magazines I'm pretty drat sure if you email them and say you are in the magazine they will mail you a magazine.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, I saw that they put them on their site, but I'm also an old fart that really likes to have a physical copies of things. When my mom died, I found out she had a whole box of every single mention of me in a newspaper, my letter to the editor in Freshwater and Marine Aquarium magazine when I was 12, old report cards, the stupid poem I wrote for the public library newsletter. when I was 10... I guess I got that from her.

And the price I pay for making the best loving fried chicken in my city is I get to drop 96 pieces at 5am tomorrow for a catering order hahahaha please kill me

edit:
But speaking of fry cooks, I have watched this about 37 times. Just substitute "chicken" for "fries", and this dude is my spirit animal.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qmko01GqNX1tp3o1b.mp4

YOU FEEL ME?

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 28, 2021

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Now you've gotta leverage your newfound fame into a viral instagram food truck phenom!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Like pretty much everyone else that's getting back to pre covid sales, my company is struggling with staffing. It's almost like when you lay off half of the workforce for a year, they change careers. (the owner want to blame stimulus and UI, but I don't buy it)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

Like pretty much everyone else that's getting back to pre covid sales, my company is struggling with staffing. It's almost like when you lay off half of the workforce for a year, they change careers. (the owner want to blame stimulus and UI, but I don't buy it)

I imagine you don't buy much with what they're paying you

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Idk what it's like in other states but my UI pool of money only lasted for like 3 months, certainly not a year.

It's cute and easy to blame UI and stimulus because the alternative is facing the facts and math of the situation.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

I imagine you don't buy much with what they're paying you

not wrong.

(my stimulus did just drop a down payment on a boring commuter car, tho)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Virginia's minimum wage goes up to $9.50 (from $7.25), effective Saturday, and hooo boy, I hear our owner is not happy.

Sure would be swell if folks like me that are making 10 got bumped to 12.25, but most likely I'll probably get my hours cut. :smith:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

To steal paraphrase from the Aviation thread, it’s not a labor shortage, it’s a pay shortage.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

MrYenko posted:

To steal paraphrase from the Aviation thread, it’s not a labor shortage, it’s a pay shortage.

the amount of poo poo I’ve seen posted recently that wants like a decade of experience and a masters for $15-$20/hr is baffling, like target or actual fast food start at that here

not to mention median home price closing in on 700k

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Virginia's minimum wage goes up to $9.50 (from $7.25), effective Saturday, and hooo boy, I hear our owner is not happy.

Sure would be swell if folks like me that are making 10 got bumped to 12.25, but most likely I'll probably get my hours cut. :smith:

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. I worked at a place where some shifts I was cashier and some I was a waiter and since cashiers made way the gently caress less in tips than waiters (you had seven seats at the counter and took togo orders and people don't loving tip on togo orders and no one wants to sit next to a stranger so the only time all seven of those seats were available were when every single table was full) you got a dollar over minimum wage, when minimum wage went up so waiters were making the same the cashier position did not get more money.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What the gently caress do they make their hamburgers out of?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

What the gently caress do they make their hamburgers out of?

Look the menu says they’re made with 30% pork, they don’t need to specify how long the pigs are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hopefully it mostly ends up like what happened here when minimum went from $11.60 to $14 in a day: fuckin' nothing. Owners that are complaining about minimum wage increasing were already scheduling the minimum amount of labour, and you can't cut more staff from there and still function. They'll either eat the costs or increase prices, and hopefully it doesn't affect you too much.