Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

bengy81 posted:

This is on sale with Injustice 2 right now as part of the Spring sale, like 40 bucks I think.

Uh, report back if you buy and can get all of Ultimate installed. I purchased it, and haven't been able to install any of the add-on content. I'm getting some weird system errors, and as of right now, between Sony and WB, nobody has a recommended solution. I need to call hardware support next I guess, but they have limited hours so I don't know when I'll be able to do that.

In spite of the fact I can't get access to half the game I payed for, it's been a heck of a good time.

I bought the PS5 version of Ultimate and the disc only has the base game and you enter the code from the card to download all the other content. I know a significant number of people have had problems with the game recognizing they have the Aftermath expansion, with some people even having to delete and re-download the Aftermath entitlement every time they wanted to play it lol (The content is built into the game so you're only downloading a 6 MB "product key" but still)

I was also locked out at first, but luckily after restarting my PS5 and reconnecting to the MK servers that issue went away, YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Spacebump posted:

In the US ps store, it is on sale for $30. Def the best version and price so far, I had waited to get 11 until recently and getting Ultimate was the right move. 11 is my favorite since 9 and realistically it is the best MK since the 2D ones. The krypt is kind of annoying/doesn’t have enough cool content but adding friendships back was a great move.

I love the towers of time in this game. I wish they gave character endings as well so I didn’t have to play the classic towers.

I really like the Krypt in this one but it’s actually kind of hard sometimes. I get lost a lot.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah. It’s like the complaints that there’s no tournament in the new movie. The last MK game with a tournament in it was released a decade ago and the tournament is like the first half of the game if that.

It’s about the tournament though. They’re not writing out the tournament because MK hasn’t been about it for years, they’re setting up for it. The reason that sucks is because it comes off as all set-up and little pay-off.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

It’s about the tournament though. They’re not writing out the tournament because MK hasn’t been about it for years, they’re setting up for it. The reason that sucks is because it comes off as all set-up and little pay-off.

They do have the tournament in this movie though. Well, A tournament. It happens for the last 45 minutes. It's a much better explanation as to why there are two back to back tournaments in mk1 and 2 than the games ever even did.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

They do have the tournament in this movie though. Well, A tournament. It happens for the last 45 minutes. It's a much better explanation as to why there are two back to back tournaments in mk1 and 2 than the games ever even did.

I was watching a video that was riffing on the 95 film's "oh we just spliced in a random fight here with no plot context" (Because they were all reshoots) and it's funny how the 21 film hasn't moved the needle on that lol "convenient that all the villains are fighting on sets we've previously built for other scenes, no don't ask why Kano is showing up at Sonya's house randomly, Sub-Zero knows this lovely MMA gym holds great power...?!"

Edit: rewatching that part, appreciating that Reiko does the "staggered fatality" pose lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 25, 2021

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Thanks for the tips guys. Sadly I have a BB gift card, so leaning toward the disc version, even though it's $50 (not $30) and apparently it's just codes anyway, and has weird hangups...

bengy81
May 8, 2010

XtraSmiley posted:

Thanks for the tips guys. Sadly I have a BB gift card, so leaning toward the disc version, even though it's $50 (not $30) and apparently it's just codes anyway, and has weird hangups...

There are fixes for the disc version, for whatever that is worth.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was watching a video that was riffing on the 95 film's "oh we just spliced in a random fight here with no plot context" (Because they were all reshoots) and it's funny how the 21 film hasn't moved the needle on that lol "convenient that all the villains are fighting on sets we've previously built for other scenes, no don't ask why Kano is showing up at Sonya's house randomly, Sub-Zero knows this lovely MMA gym holds great power...?!"

Edit: rewatching that part, appreciating that Reiko does the "staggered fatality" pose lol

They aren't showing up randomly at locations. They literally say the plan is to teleport them into places and configurations they have the upper hand. That's why they all come in through raidens magic and look confused about where they are and what just happened.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

OK but what about Sub-Zero holing up at the lovely MMA gym

Edit also Raiden's teleportation powers working in Outworld? Is that a lore thing that changed because the 95 film was like "My powers don't work on Outworld"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK but what about Sub-Zero holing up at the lovely MMA gym

Edit also Raiden's teleportation powers working in Outworld? Is that a lore thing I missed because the 95 film was like "My powers don't work on Outworld"

Thats just a 95 movie thing it's never been a thing anywhere else.

No clue on the MMA gym thing though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If I had the ability to forcibly teleport anyone from anywhere to anywhere else I would probably teleport them into some spikes or something, or maybe the sun

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Presumably the MMA gym was near cole’s where he kidnapped the family from, and was a place that was not going to have a ton of attention from a four armed giant smashing everything. I dunno. I didn’t think too hard about it but it didn’t seem that weird. It’s also near where he made the first run at Cole so he probably figured it was significant.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Vince MechMahon posted:

They aren't showing up randomly at locations. They literally say the plan is to teleport them into places and configurations they have the upper hand. That's why they all come in through raidens magic and look confused about where they are and what just happened.

Which is why Jax got teleported to his favorite stone bridge over a pit

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If I had the ability to forcibly teleport anyone from anywhere to anywhere else I would probably teleport them into some spikes or something, or maybe the sun

Raiden isn't even supposed to be doing what he does, and doing more would certainly cause some poo poo.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Which is why Jax got teleported to his favorite stone bridge over a pit

How do you have the pit in the new movie and Reiko doesn't get punched off it into the spikes below? Like what's even the point of Jax and him going to the pit if Jax was just gonna squish Reikos head? C'mon.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah the MMA gym is clearly Sub Zero loving with cole (he let him in through the smoke portal, remember? Bi Han picked the location for that fight) because it's a familiar place and his family is held hostage there. They probably didn't want to put the main character of the movie into a situation where he's not the triumphant underdog

I guess having the ghost of your ninja ancestor show up from hell to do cool rope dart moves on your enemy doesn't factor into that, which is good information for me to use later

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 26, 2021

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

God drat, the tutorials in this game are loving fantastic. There doesn't seem to be a trial mode though? I'm not complaining, I just haven't seen one yet.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
With all the time traveling these games have done (I haven't finished 11's DLC story so if he is there never mind), I'm shocked they haven't brought back the original Kung Lao that fought Goro in pre MK1.

It'd be a fun premise to see a bunch of the characters get thrown into a time warp and have to compete in that tournament.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Spacebump posted:

With all the time traveling these games have done (I haven't finished 11's DLC story so if he is there never mind), I'm shocked they haven't brought back the original Kung Lao that fought Goro in pre MK1.

It'd be a fun premise to see a bunch of the characters get thrown into a time warp and have to compete in that tournament.

Coincidentally, that's what Kung Lao's Armageddon ending was. Killing Blaze knocked him back in time to Goro's first tournament appearance, where modern Kung Lao took his ancestor's place and saved Earthrealm. Kung Lao loved this, as he felt he was getting one over on Liu Kang.

Also, for what it's worth, his the MK9 ending established that modern Kung Lao is the original reincarnated.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Is there a gold standard youtube video for a recap of the story pre-mk11. I would like to know the immense (and dumb) lore of the mk world before doing the story mode in 11.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

History Behind the Warrior has the most extensive Mortal Kombat lore you could ever hope for.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Gavok posted:

Also, for what it's worth, his the MK9 ending established that modern Kung Lao is the original reincarnated.

"Lord Raiden, I cannot imagine what the Great Kung Lao was like, when our Kung Lao is like... this."
"Liu Kang, there is something that Kung Lao must never, ever discover."
"What, Lord Raiden?"
"He was exactly like this."

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
"Infuriatingly so"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

Hell yeah. We could get Kung Lao, Siro, Taja, Vorpax, and many more!

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Spacebump posted:

Yeeeeah gimme some old timey kombat

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Jamesman posted:

Hell yeah. We could get Kung Lao, Siro, Taja, Vorpax, and many more!

Add those characters and Siang from the Malibu comics. Just make the most obsecure Mortal Kombat roster.

edit:
lol don't know if any of the other Malibu comic characters would be worth it.
https://mortalkombat.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Malibu_Comics_Characters

I forgot Hydro is referenced in MK11.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 1, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Spacebump posted:

Add those characters and Siang from the Malibu comics. Just make the most obsecure Mortal Kombat roster.

edit:

:thunk:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

My god, you just opened a hole in my memory that I wasn't even aware of for the last 20 years. I remember that dude.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Going to start a change.org petition to bring back Zaggot and Abacus.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Spacebump posted:

edit:

When is he referenced in MK11? I know he’s referenced in MK Legacy in the Cyrax/Sektor episode.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

One of the assist items in the Towers is tidal waves thrown by Hydro. A bunch of tertiary characters get name dropped by those items.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Do I just suck or can you do Friendship moves in Fatality Training? I'm inclined to think I just suck.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Do I just suck or can you do Friendship moves in Fatality Training? I'm inclined to think I just suck.

I'm sorry but :ftbrg:

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs

Lammasu posted:

afaik u can't learn brutalities in there either. fatalities only. pm me if by some slim chance you're playing on ps4.

It's a good game once u learn all the best finishers

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
that's an open invite to what's left of this thread btw. come at me :3:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7XvA9gOCxQ

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Decided to pick up this because the new MK film is actually absolutely delightful, but it's the first MK I've played in more than a decade and the first fighter I've played since I got into Injustice 2 years ago. I feel horribly rusty, but I'm not averse to rote work, so I'm wondering if anyone has any sort of routines or exercises that they do that might actually be effective? I reckon all the fleshy bits are covered in the tutorials, so I'm basically looking for stuff that hammers in timing and utility, and then I can work on learning combos and such when I'm not busy dying.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Black Griffon posted:

Decided to pick up this because the new MK film is actually absolutely delightful, but it's the first MK I've played in more than a decade and the first fighter I've played since I got into Injustice 2 years ago. I feel horribly rusty, but I'm not averse to rote work, so I'm wondering if anyone has any sort of routines or exercises that they do that might actually be effective? I reckon all the fleshy bits are covered in the tutorials, so I'm basically looking for stuff that hammers in timing and utility, and then I can work on learning combos and such when I'm not busy dying.

Play the story mode. It rules and gets you up to speed on a bunch of different characters without requiring fiddly tutorial timings.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Ended up doing just that, and I'm having a grand ol time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Black Griffon posted:

Ended up doing just that, and I'm having a grand ol time.

Same, I'm really digging it!

All fighting games should have a story mode!

I still have trouble getting my MKII brain around MK9-11's new mechanics though. Why is every move back forward now!?!?!