Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Intending to read the comics by the way, without spoilers, am I good to just go from issue 1 to the last issue?

I saw some stuff floating around about several side series and reading orders...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Intending to read the comics by the way, without spoilers, am I good to just go from issue 1 to the last issue?

I saw some stuff floating around about several side series and reading orders...

Yeah the other stuff out there is pretty inconsequential, you can just read the main series and be fine.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Srice posted:

Yeah the other stuff out there is pretty inconsequential, you can just read the main series and be fine.

I followed some reading order that included things like the wolf man comics and I have no idea what they were supposed to add to the story beyond removing minor "where'd the werewolf on the news come from" issues. I'd just stick with the main comic

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Absolutely just stick with the core comics, you don’t need to know about all the other Image wieners who show up outside of what’s presented in the main through line.

(The Marvel team up is pretty fun though and cleverly happens literally between panels in the core story)

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Guardians of the Globe and Invincible Universe are good because they're really direct tie-ins that are basically bits of the comic cut out because they divert from the main story too much. All the other related comics are way too much effort to explain 20 total panels over the series

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

VagueRant posted:

Just read the original series and the Atom Eve minis.(Atom Eve and Atom Eve & Rex Splode) Everything else is skippable. The Atom Eve series are both skippable but add enough back story to her that it is worth it.

edit: also read the Marvel Team Up issue because it is fun.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

VagueRant posted:

Probably not meant to think about this but how did Mark's teeth come back? Can Viltrumites regenerate adult teeth?

I'd assume it was dental work but how the heck do you open up and close up and work on his (nigh-on) invincible skin?

Maybe they shoved the broken teeth back into the sockets and viltrumites can remend them as long as the parts are being held in place? I dunno.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 30, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Nikumatic posted:

Absolutely just stick with the core comics, you don’t need to know about all the other Image wieners who show up outside of what’s presented in the main through line.

Are you calling time honored characters like Pitt and Youngblood wieners?

Fair enough.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I finally finished the last 50 issues of the comic after a five year hiatus. Now I'm curious where the show even goes cause the comic is dense as gently caress and there's just so much that it would probably take 20 seasons to cover everything.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

JT Smiley posted:

I finally finished the last 50 issues of the comic after a five year hiatus. Now I'm curious where the show even goes cause the comic is dense as gently caress and there's just so much that it would probably take 20 seasons to cover everything.

I think with the current level of time shifting and compression we're looking at more like 6-7 seasons if they really do the whole series. Like the whole Reanimen arc was compressed from a mostly background arc with a couple dedicated issues to just a one and done episode. If you look through the series there are probably around 6-7 moments where you go 'oh yeah, this is gonna be a season finale' and everything else will get reshuffled around them

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all like Seth Rogen as Allen?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

I know this is kinda hosed up, but...yeah?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Yeah. Fits the character perfectly.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He did a good job

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Casnorf posted:

The world isn't uniting against the common threat of Viltrum because there's not really any point. Humanity in general isn't a threat in any capacity to Nolan, and nothing any human does will change whether Viltrum shows up or not. So people just kinda go about their business, not exactly ignoring the threat but definitely more aware that nothing super matters.

Eh, you don't know that for sure. And as the other goon I was talking to mentioned, they're working on some space crystal in that invisible white room that Cecil has. So they're basically doing this already, although not to the scale and level of alarm that I was suggesting they should

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Roman Reigns posted:

Haven’t read the comics but is the whole thousands being killed in ten minutes in Chicago incident thanks to a superpower brawl going to be glossed over? It felt like by the end of the episode there was a definite “oh well back to business :v:” vibe going on throughout the world.

Huh? They showed in the episode People reacting to seeing the mass causalities in the city with horror. Its going to be the same as when the aliens invaded and Invincible fought them off, lots of people died and it was sad and I think there was even a monument to them? Isn't that where the aliens came back to, the monument to the losses? So I wouldn't say that its glossed over at all. Its just, not what the show is going to stop and spend 20 minutes on. But they absolutely 100% did show people reacting to the incident so I'm kinda at a loss here on your response.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, you don't know that for sure.

I meant more in the sense of "All the petty poo poo is still happening," not in the grand united front part. Additionally, I will admit to pulling other speculation from comics developments, but I dunno, when something's so far out of your league there's really not much point in using more energy than necessary on it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Huh? They showed in the episode People reacting to seeing the mass causalities in the city with horror. Its going to be the same as when the aliens invaded and Invincible fought them off, lots of people died and it was sad and I think there was even a monument to them? Isn't that where the aliens came back to, the monument to the losses? So I wouldn't say that its glossed over at all. Its just, not what the show is going to stop and spend 20 minutes on. But they absolutely 100% did show people reacting to the incident so I'm kinda at a loss here on your response.

Also there's the line in the burger place about how "it's all anyone is talking about" when Mark tries to change the subject. I definitely felt like they were giving more weight to the civilian casualties than they would in a MC/DCU movie or show.

Steven Yeun was such a good cast, I'll never read Invincible saying anything without hearing it in his voice.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess I feel like they could have spent more time on that but you’re right it’s not what the show is focusing on. A goon on the previous page mentioned that apparently they elaborate more on the consequences of the fight in Chicago in the comics, so that’ll probably be a thing in the next season anyway.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

zoux posted:

Steven Yeun was such a good cast, I'll never read Invincible saying anything without hearing it in his voice.

Some some reason my brain keeps thinking that Mark and his mom were latino in the comics (probably the macho stache Nolan has). Although now that I think about it, I don't think they ever said anything about Mark and his mom's ethnicity in the comic (and even in the show it's just a small one liner etc).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ughhhh posted:

Some some reason my brain keeps thinking that Mark and his mom were latino in the comics (probably the macho stache Nolan has). Although now that I think about it, I don't think they ever said anything about Mark and his mom's ethnicity in the comic (and even in the show it's just a small one liner etc).

Did they say something about it the show, honestly I was just assuming it because both Oh and Yeun are of Korean descent and I figured that wasn't just a conincidence. I don't feel like Mark or Debbie are drawn differently in the show or in the comic. I absolutely don't care of course, especially when they use it as an opportunity to cast actors like Yeun, Oh and Zazie Beets.

It was obviously a choice to have Nolan's eyes bloodshot throughout the episode, so I wonder if that was supposed to be mimicking how when Superman goes evil he invariably has the glowing red eyes. And speaking of Superman, it's a neat parallel that Nolan and Clark were making the same "world of cardboard" point from that one episode of JLU. Of course when Superman punches Darkseid through a whole bunch of buildings and then meteor smashes him into the ground, no one dies, where as in the show...

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I seriously couldn’t stop laughing when Nolan punched Mark so hard he detonated a chunk of downtown Chicago. JK Simmons line delivery in that moment was amazing.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

zoux posted:

It was obviously a choice to have Nolan's eyes bloodshot throughout the episode, so I wonder if that was supposed to be mimicking how when Superman goes evil he invariably has the glowing red eyes.

That's also what someone's eyes look like if they've been feeling some really strong emotions, perhaps by crying or not-crying. Can't imagine why...

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

zoux posted:

He wasn't bad.

When I read the comics I always pictured Dwayne Johnson as Alien but obviously that wouldn't happen.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Shockingly I really do. I never thought of Michael Dorn as Battlebeast but, like Allen and Invincible, those voices are permanently attached to the characters. They could even do a bit where the sound of the voice is influenced by the person receiving the telepathic signals and the reason Invincible hears that particular voice is that Allen just looks like a guy who would sound like Seth Rogan as opposed to some gritty white guy growling. Really all of the cast has been stellar and JK Simmons is also perfect for Omniman. Love how he can believably still do stoic but kind father then switch to scary psychopath. I know his past but Oz was twenty years ago and nice to know he hasn't lost a step. Steven Yeun is just great in this and I hope this leads to more roles. I can already hear some growth from first episode Mark to this one and I have absolute faith he will handle the older seasoned Invincible later on.

zoux posted:

Also there's the line in the burger place about how "it's all anyone is talking about" when Mark tries to change the subject. I definitely felt like they were giving more weight to the civilian casualties than they would in a MC/DCU movie or show.

My guess is this was just dipping the toes and will go be a big moment later next season. It IS a big thing and people are trying to process but Mark just needed a moment to NOT think about all of it. Sometimes a person does that in real life as it gets to be all too much so you just want to chatter about some silly bullshit for just a few moments. Just a second or two of normalcy before you deal with it.

Non spoilery review: episode good. Questions are answered but more than enough seeds for multiple seasons.

spoiler talk
Most of you saw where this was going and was waiting for you to get here. Why I was curious about if you guys thought he really was a bad guy. I remember being somewhat surprised decades ago when I read it. CONQUEST! "I love your mother but she is more like a pet to me." JK Simmons delivered that perfectly. The way he transitioned from a loving father trying to reason with his son to the cold teaching his son lessons about pain and loss to that frustration and rage of Mark forcing Nolan to kill him. Mark futilely trying to save anyone and failing every time. "That was your fault. Your stubbornness against the inevitable. What were they doing with their pathetic lives anyway." That train scene was both horrifying and funny as gently caress. "Maybe this time you'll learn." The whole confrontation Nolan just went out of his way to maximise collateral damage. "Why did you make me do this? Think! Everything and everyone you know will be gone! What will you have after 500 years?" "You. Dad. I will still have you." Great delivery. Really the voice cast really helped this whole show. JK Simmons... man. Whole thing was loving stellar. Empire of the Copstache!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DogsInSpace! posted:

Love how he can believably still do stoic but kind father then switch to scary psychopath. I know his past but Oz was twenty years ago and nice to know he hasn't lost a step.

Lots of people haven't seen Whiplash apparently.

He's far more terrifying in that than he ever was in Oz. Its seriously like, traumatic to watch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DogsInSpace! posted:

Steven Yeun is just great in this and I hope this leads to more roles.

Dude was just nominated for an Oscar, I'm more worried about him getting too many roles.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I have never and will never get around to watching all the episodes of Dragon Ball Z (it just missed me as a youngster and now it's too much of a commitment) but I keep hearing people compare Nolan/Omni-Man to the character Vegeta and from a general pop culture osmosis understanding of Vegeta as an intense villain turned anti-hero(?) with bells on I'm pretty curious what that means?

Also thanks for the info about the comics. Will probably read the main series, the Marvel tie in and see how I feel about the rest if I get through those.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

VagueRant posted:

I have never and will never get around to watching all the episodes of Dragon Ball Z (it just missed me as a youngster and now it's too much of a commitment) but I keep hearing people compare Nolan/Omni-Man to the character Vegeta and from a general pop culture osmosis understanding of Vegeta as an intense villain turned anti-hero(?) with bells on I'm pretty curious what that means?

Also thanks for the info about the comics. Will probably read the main series, the Marvel tie in and see how I feel about the rest if I get through those.

Goku is much like Superman in that he's an alien who fell to earth as a child and was raised as a human boy only finding out about his superpower nature as he got older and so was a chill protector of the Earth.

Vegeta is another member of Goku's species, but one who was raised on their home planet as a royal prince of their race, and came to Earth as a conqueror.

Basically,

Goku = Superman, Vegeta = General Zod

So that's where they're saying "more Vegeta than Goku" because he was an adult conqueror who came to Earth. I don't think he'll have the same redemption arc that Vegeta did though.

(Also, there's been multiple remakes of DBZ so you should really give one of them a chance, its not really that hard to get into in 2020 as you'd think)

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Watch DBZ abridged, you get basically the same story with more dick jokes.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Dragonball Z abridged is 10 hours of goofiness which turns into a more developed story than the real show with an actual resolution at the end rather than endless sequels and spin-offs. It’s worth the watch to get the gist without the real time commitment of watching the full original show

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

I haven’t seen Whiplash so this is maybe the best acting I’ve seen from JK Simmons

The best acting from JK Simmons is obviously Pigbaby from Infinity Train s4.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ughhhh posted:

I did too. Which is weird since I'm pretty sure they never comment on Debbie's background. At least for the portion I read and extremely vaguely remember.

VagueRant posted:

Nolan, like Vegeta, is the rare specimen that can rock the gently caress out of the Badman shirt. Renegade for life.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

M_Gargantua posted:

Dragonball Z abridged is 10 hours of goofiness which turns into a more developed story than the real show with an actual resolution at the end rather than endless sequels and spin-offs. It’s worth the watch to get the gist without the real time commitment of watching the full original show

I saw a good bit of Dragon Ball Z growing up, but never watched the whole thing through and I'm honestly not sure I ever could now, because even the pacing on Dragon Ball Z Kai kills me, and I prefer Dragon Ball Z: Abridged just for cutting almost all the dead time, slow pans and shots that hold for way too loving long, as well as a lot of the exaggeratedly long shots of any kind of repeating action. It cuts almost everything down to just the core dialogue and action, which is far more appetizing and also means it has a runtime of a couple of hours rather than a few hundred hours.

I do think the show has somewhat of a rocky start, with a lot of memetic humor (see Nappa for instance), but after the first season, which is only an hour or two total if I recall, it quickly sheds a lot of that and starts to have a tighter character and plot focus. It does slightly shift the characterization of the cast, but it's still remarkably consistent with the original story, while exaggerating the goofiness of the cast a lot.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I never thought I'd actually ever get into DBZ until I just bit the bullet and read the manga. And it was a lot of fun! I highly recommend giving Shonen Jump the $2 asking price for their website which has all of it to read (as well as a whoooole lot of other stuff. It really is the best bang for your buck when it comes to comic subscriptions).

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Abridged is a completely different thing and shouldn't be talked about as a replacement for the original show. Abridged is mostly comedy and cuts out like 90% of the show. You can prefer one over the other but they're really different

And also very different from Invincible

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
70% of the show was grunting and long repeating pan shots to begin with. It cuts 194 episodes down to 10 hours and you lose nothing important.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Casnorf posted:

That's also what someone's eyes look like if they've been feeling some really strong emotions, perhaps by crying or not-crying. Can't imagine why...

There's really nothing mysterious about omni man's eyes being red, Immortal jammed his thumbs into them at the very end of last episode and they were red when Nolan wiped the blood off

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Azhais posted:

There's really nothing mysterious about omni man's eyes being red, Immortal jammed his thumbs into them at the very end of last episode and they were red when Nolan wiped the blood off
This is also totally fair. I just think the continual insistence that it must be [some convoluted reference or thing] rather than [simple explanation explicitly supported by the text] is funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm getting an awful lot of reports about comic book spoilers in the spoiler free thread. Considering the OP is one of TVIV's mods, I'm going to assume muscles is okay with properly tagged spoilers! So stop reporting them, unless he says otherwise lol.

Y'all are free to make another thread for comic + show discussion if you want, but with this thread not having a ton of traffic I fully get not wanting to split the poster base. From what I can tell anything from comics has been properly tagged and marked as comic spoilers. So if muscles isn't probing people for it, then it's prob gucci.