Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
oh dear lord i forgot about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Kunabomber posted:

Take 10 minutes to watch Gorgeous George and you'd know that silly gimmick characters have been part of this carny business since the very beginning.
I never knew Gorgeous George fought Super Mario!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytFQHlCU-WI

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

The nazi gimmicked Baron von Raschke used to go for an iron claw and when his opponent ducked he would apply it to the turnbuckle and he had trouble releasing it. Somehow this is realistic to corny

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I am not a historian of the old territory days, so forgive the ignorance of this question. Also, sorry if this is not the place to ask it.

But were there many comedic wrestlers back in the territory days? Surely to keep the crowd happy and/or keep their energy levels high, you would have a comedy match somewhere in the midcard. Or a comedic heel character would be a good way to give your local babyface a cheap crowd pleasing win in a town where the audience skewed younger.

Surely the kind of cowardly manager that Cornette himself played fills that role, and when this character gets his commupance, it is usually played for laughs, (see Heenan being forced to wear a weasel costume etc.). So is he saying that he only likes "comedy" when what is making the crowd laugh is a big tough wrestler threatening to beat up a cowardly weakling of a non-wrestler?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I'm more familiar with the UK side than the US side, but in British wrestling comedy was always always part of the bill. As far back as the fifties and sixties someone like Les Kellett was simultaneously regarded as one of the toughest men to ever get in the ring and one of the funniest. When someone like Colt Cabana talks about drawing inspiration from World Of Sport, he's talking about the incredible athleticism of people like Johnny Saint, but he's also talking about the comedy of Les Kellett and Leon Arras. Making 'em laugh was always part of the job.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

While it's fun to break down how Cornette is an idiot hypocrite that's kind of the root of it, nothing he says is in good faith. Its all carny garbage to get what he perceives as heat.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Duke Pukem posted:

The nazi gimmicked Baron von Raschke used to go for an iron claw and when his opponent ducked he would apply it to the turnbuckle and he had trouble releasing it. Somehow this is realistic to corny

When he turned face, he would still goose step around the ring, only this time to the cheers of the crowd :psyduck:

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

rotinaj posted:

It’s that super outdated but not technically incorrect mindset that any promotion is good promotion, right? Except who the gently caress is Jim being the heel to draw against

He’s pretty much in his end game now. He’s burned his bridges with every notable company out there so all he has left is him vs the world.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Has he been to MLW?

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
If you're too spicy for Billy Corgan, it means you're radioactive to anyone else.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

TV Zombie posted:

Has he been to MLW?

In 2019, yes.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Cornette’s fanbase are nostalgic for a type of wrestling that may never have existed- an idealized form of the territories where there was no silliness, no comedy, strong kayfabe, etc. There is one way to do things and that is how they did them Back in the Day. Anything else is killing the business.

Cornette's fanbase are nostalgic for a time when people were property and women were seen but not heard, lets be honest

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There’s definitely a racist element to their hatred of lucha libre “flippy poo poo”. Mexican promotions made piles of money off people flying through the air for decades but no clearly that’s bad for business

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I hate listened to a bunch of Cornette clips during the height of the quarantine last year and drat is it difficult to follow. He’s got so many terrible nicknames I could barely tell who he was talking about half the time. He seems to like calling Kenny Omega “Twinkletoes” or “Kenny Olivier”. I don’t have any clue what the Kenny Olivier thing is, his real name is Tyson Smith.

Also he does a running gag with a fake lawyer and plays a song that doesn’t make any sense. I don’t get it at all. I was deeply confused by all of this.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

BGrifter posted:

I hate listened to a bunch of Cornette clips during the height of the quarantine last year and drat is it difficult to follow. He’s got so many terrible nicknames I could barely tell who he was talking about half the time. He seems to like calling Kenny Omega “Twinkletoes” or “Kenny Olivier”. I don’t have any clue what the Kenny Olivier thing is, his real name is Tyson Smith.

Also he does a running gag with a fake lawyer and plays a song that doesn’t make any sense. I don’t get it at all. I was deeply confused by all of this.

He's making fun of Kenny's exaggerated facial expressions and selling by comparing him to celebrated theatre actor Laurence Olivier.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Kenny Olivier is him referencing Lawrence Olivier cause Kenny is just "play acting like a wrestler" and using a man who is widely considered a master at his craft as an insult being stupid never occurred to Jim.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Pylons posted:

He's making fun of Kenny's exaggerated facial expressions and selling by comparing him to celebrated theatre actor Laurence Olivier.

Oh. Of course. How could I possibly miss that reference.

lol. Thank you for explaining it! That’s been bugging me for months. Now if I could just figure out that dumb lawyer song he thinks is so hilarious.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Wrestling is theatre though, it's about entertaining the crowd and that requires acting talent. It's about getting the crowd in your hand and making them bite at everyone line

Although of course Jim Cornette doesn't get that because it gets in the way of an insult.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

BGrifter posted:

Also he does a running gag with a fake lawyer

i regret to inform you the lawyer is real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6njXA8qdoH4

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

:wtc:

So he kisses his lawyer’s rear end constantly on the podcast to get a discount or something? Or is it a paid advertisement?

The Lore of Cornette is more confusing than the Fiend.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think Corny has used that lawyer in the past.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

Kenny Olivier is him referencing Lawrence Olivier cause Kenny is just "play acting like a wrestler" and using a man who is widely considered a master at his craft as an insult being stupid never occurred to Jim.

Oh, he's probably aware, but it's also meant to be a lovely bi-phobic joke about Kenny's sexuality because theatre actors (and English people in general for some reason I've never quite understood) are stereotyped as queer. And the Twinkletoes thing is along the same lines. He knows he'd get poo poo even from some of his 'cult' if he didn't code it and actually used the slurs he would've used in the past.

I believe he got replaced by Schiavone, funnily enough.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mariooncrack posted:

I think Corny has used that lawyer in the past.

I imagine a similar scenario from The Office when Michael was bragging his lawyer had his face on bus stop benches.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
This lawyer, in fact lives and practices in my home town and I've met him on occasion. He's a huge wrestling fan, I wouldn't be surprised if Cornette just knew him from running shows in West Virginia 35 years ago

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

RealFoxy posted:

This lawyer, in fact lives and practices in my home town and I've met him on occasion. He's a huge wrestling fan, I wouldn't be surprised if Cornette just knew him from running shows in West Virginia 35 years ago
Steve and Jim first became friends to some degree decades ago when Steve—then in law school, if I'm remembering right—sent Jim a law textbook excerpt about the time that Jim, Bobby Eaton, Stan Lane, and Jim Crockett Promotions were sued by a fan who accused Stan of assaulting him unprovoked. The textbook entry stemmed from this ruling, IIRC: https://law.justia.com/cases/west-virginia/supreme-court/1990/19481-5.html

At some point after they started doing the Drive Thru as a regular free podcast, Steve's firm started sponsoring it, and Jim would sometimes have him on the main podcast if there was a law-related topic he and Brian wanted to discuss. At some point this evolved into Steve being his lawyer.

While the G-Raver thing sucked, I do believe Steve when he says that the intent was just to stop selling the shirts and that it got out of control when the indie merch guy working as Raver's lawyer wanted to push it further. (Especially since it was clear early on that there wasn't much money from sales of the shirts.) In the last several months I've come to believe that at his heart, Steve is a truly decent human who came off worse because Jim was his client. He's done a LOT more to help fight the Joey Ryan lawsuits than people realize, and that really counts in my book.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

davidbix posted:

Steve and Jim first became friends to some degree decades ago when Steve—then in law school, if I'm remembering right—sent Jim a law textbook excerpt about the time that Jim, Bobby Eaton, Stan Lane, and Jim Crockett Promotions were sued by a fan who accused Stan of assaulting him unprovoked. The textbook entry stemmed from this ruling, IIRC: https://law.justia.com/cases/west-virginia/supreme-court/1990/19481-5.html

At some point after they started doing the Drive Thru as a regular free podcast, Steve's firm started sponsoring it, and Jim would sometimes have him on the main podcast if there was a law-related topic he and Brian wanted to discuss. At some point this evolved into Steve being his lawyer.

While the G-Raver thing sucked, I do believe Steve when he says that the intent was just to stop selling the shirts and that it got out of control when the indie merch guy working as Raver's lawyer wanted to push it further. (Especially since it was clear early on that there wasn't much money from sales of the shirts.) In the last several months I've come to believe that at his heart, Steve is a truly decent human who came off worse because Jim was his client. He's done a LOT more to help fight the Joey Ryan lawsuits than people realize, and that really counts in my book.
Yeah I've worked with Stephen P New, he's always been super friendly, nothing bad to say about him. Very proud about being from the area and does some volunteer stuff, he also sponsors the local radio stations' 80's and 90's weekends all the time. I think other goons Zaqtaro/Cucumber & Co have also worked with him

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Vince MechMahon posted:

If someone were to compare my skill at my profession to a man who was so good at his craft that he was literally made a baron because of it, I gotta tell you, I'd be burned real bad.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Gaz-L posted:

because theatre actors (and English people in general for some reason I've never quite understood) are stereotyped as queer.

I think it's due to the rampant sodomy in the boarding schools for the past few centuries

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/frankiemacd/status/1384758412244930562

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Maybe Corn just hates Lawrence Olivier's body of work.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
why the long highway, frankie

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU2p5CB0nso

Still one of the funniest videos ever, Cornette books the invasion and sets up a completely miserable fantasy booked PPV.

Cornette gets so loving frantic the more the non reaction hits him to this weird hotel room shoot video crew. You can feel the air being sucked out of the room as he shows how he's actually not a wrestling genius at all and a terrible mind for wrestling who just memorized a bunch of numbers to impress people. Dude's always been a total hack.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU2p5CB0nso

Still one of the funniest videos ever, Cornette books the invasion and sets up a completely miserable fantasy booked PPV.

Cornette gets so loving frantic the more the non reaction hits him to this weird hotel room shoot video crew. You can feel the air being sucked out of the room as he shows how he's actually not a wrestling genius at all and a terrible mind for wrestling who just memorized a bunch of numbers to impress people. Dude's always been a total hack.

Nah, everyone else is just not smart enough to understand the genius of Undertaker vs Terry Funk because they were too busy thinking up matches no-one wanted to see like Undetaker vs Sting.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Hoss Corncave posted:

Nah, everyone else is just not smart enough to understand the genius of Undertaker vs Terry Funk because they were too busy thinking up matches no-one wanted to see like Undetaker vs Sting.

I still love he made sure to book himself on the card.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Foley as the WCW rep for the main event is something else, that's for sure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To play devil's advocate: Remember that Underaker had literally just started the biker gimmick less than a year earlier. Taker/Funk makes way more sense as two Texas good ol' boys having a fight than the Crow vs a random motorcycle dad. The Sting thing is based around the Crow gimmick and the Deadman.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Corny thinking that he could convince Bam Bam Bigelow and Brock Lesnar to half-shoot on each other is where his Invasion booking officially lost me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Doing Funk vs Undertaker is fine if you have a big WWF vs WCW event planned and think "Hey, Sting vs Undertaker would have a lot of mystique that isn't just brand vs brand, we can do that next year."

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I've always been scared to watch this ever since I first heard what his booking plans were on it.

Also: Didn't he want a series of Russo-esque promos where Vince wanted everyone to SHOOT in their interpromotional matches and the wrestlers would rebel against him because they didn't want to have SHOOTING MATCHES? Or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hogan and DUSTY at that time. Just... no. No, thank you. I refuse. (Maybe Dusty in Dustin's corner if we have to.)

Also Dudleys and Warriors. Like at the time I liked the Dudleys but the Roadies were so past their sell-by date and I hate saying that being a big Road Warriors fan since I was in elementary school.

Show/Kane and the Steiners is also a match involving four people you could have.