Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Floppychop posted:

It's annoying as gently caress that film-makers generally treat a gut shot as something you can pretty much walk off. It's one of the worst places you can get shot/stabbed.

Nothing against you, just something that bugs me.

I honestly expected a twist where Sharon also took the serum, but is smart enough to hide it. That's how she could defeat a dozen assassins and also take a gut shot and walk it off. Hell, it could even explain her letting the scientist get killed. He could be one of the only people who knows she's a secret supe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Floppychop posted:

It's annoying as gently caress that film-makers generally treat a gut shot as something you can pretty much walk off. It's one of the worst places you can get shot/stabbed.

The thing is, if Zemo hadn't killed the scientist she wouldn't have lost access to the serum. Sam and Bucky would have turned him over to the US government, who would quite promptly put him to work on more serum. If she succeeds in getting back in with the government she might figure she could still get serum through that route.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lammasu posted:

I know I'm getting off topic but can we talk about how Gambit's character design makes no sense? He's from Louisiana but he's dressed like it's winter in Michigan. Guy would be constantly over heating.

He might be from Louisiana, but he mostly spends time in Westchester, New York and other climes. He does still wear it when he's in Louisiana, but *mumble* *mumble* mutant powers *mumble* *mumble* potential energy *mumble* *mumble* and that's how he can control his temperature to keep himself at a moderate temperature at all times.

Thundercracker posted:

I honestly expected a twist where Sharon also took the serum, but is smart enough to hide it. That's how she could defeat a dozen assassins and also take a gut shot and walk it off. Hell, it could even explain her letting the scientist get killed. He could be one of the only people who knows she's a secret supe.

Orrrr...she's a shapeshifter, so it's not nearly as dangerous to her biology.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

Fascists aren't human

Look at firebombing of Dresden stan over here

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Yeah gut injuries are like the worst way to go. I guess visually they’re in that sweet spot of more serious than an extremity and not as lethal as an upper chest or head wound. When it aired I laughed at the fact that sam flew in with the dead woman instead of the grievously injured one but at the end of the day it’s all story telling and not real.

And good point about the sss being insanely valuable but at that point with everything going on I feel like it’s in character to burn it down rather than get outed.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Rockstar Massacre posted:

you're right, once they were locked up in those trucks the immense power imbalance was rectified and their own crimes were prevented, karli should have just left them there, safe in knowing the problem was solved.

Actually, I was talking about the guards and administrative staff that Karli car bombed.

Tell me, what exactly do Stalin’s boots taste like? Tank grease? It’s totally ok to be a boot licker as long as it’s your favored form of authoritarianism, right?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Floppychop posted:

Ive seen patients get shot in the gut who’ve walked right up to me more mentally shooken up than in pain. Assuming the bullet doesn’t hit the spine, a major vessel or a solid organ the worst of it happens much later on.

I get what you’re saying but in this case I think it wasn’t too bad. And I don’t have much of an interest in Sharon’s colostomy bag so I’ll just assume she had a normal recovery.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Nobody should have been exploded by bombs

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Marsupial Ape posted:

Actually, I was talking about the guards and administrative staff that Karli car bombed.

Tell me, what exactly do Stalin’s boots taste like? Tank grease? It’s totally ok to be a boot licker as long as it’s your favored form of authoritarianism, right?

I was talking about the politicians in the post that I thought you were replying to, and I'm pretty sure you don't know what authoritarianism means, or stalinism, if you got that from my post.

not all violence is equivalent, violence from the powerful toward the powerless is objectively more immoral than the violence in reverse, and despite being super soldiers Karli and her <12 friends are not in any way on equal footing with the power of nations backed by military force. that's the *exact* opposite of a call for authoritarianism, miss my posts until you're smarter.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok but what about the power dynamic of a 23 year old woman with super strength handcuffing a normal desk clerk to a radiator and then blowing him up?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok but what about the power dynamic of a 23 year old woman with super strength handcuffing a normal desk clerk to a radiator and then blowing him up?

not a good look, not as bad as the desk clerk's boss using military force to seize supplies and segregate people, then staffing their now military establishment with civilians.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh ok, so just so I’m clear, the actual human being getting exploded by a terrorist deserves to die because his boss withheld supplies? Yeah that definitely tracks, really cleared it all up for me. Karli never meant to hurt anyone! She just threatened innocent women and children and got literally all of her closest friends killed! A misunderstood Robin Hood of the modern age!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, Super Soldier Serum is like #3 behind Arc Reactor tech and Vibranium in terms of “outrageously valuable MCU macguffins”, so her on-screen explanation of US military secrets and weapons technology somehow being more valuable SSS and therefore worth destroying the only guy on Earth who knows how to make it seems extremely dumb for a master strategist and spy.

Basic Googling told me that in Norfolk, VA circa 2014, the street value of a kilo of cocaine was something like $300,000. Pretty valuable stuff, right? But you know when the cops/DEA are busting in, somebody'll be in the bathroom trying to flush those kilos down the toilet. It really doesn't matter how "valuable" something is if possessing it puts you in imminent danger of getting arrested and/or killed.

The scientist guy seemed surprised to see Our Heroes, so that means the frantic phone calls Sharon was doubtless making to him to get the gently caress out or pretend he didn't know her behind the scenes weren't going through. She can't let him see her because he'll likely blurt out that she's his boss, so she vectors in the bounty idiots because she's way more likely survive a shootout with them than going up against Sam Wilson, who, aside from being The Falcon has US military contacts that could result in a Reaper Drone putting a Hellfire missile through her bay windows. Plus Bucky Barnes, who is clearly capable of turning the Winter Soldier stuff back on whenever he feels like it. Oh, and Helmut Zemo, the dude who almost got the Avengers to destroy themselves and who is now somehow out of prison and allied with Barnes and Wilson.

I think the story makes a lot more since with the idea that this isn't some grand master plan by Sharon. It's Sharon scrambling to keep her own rear end from being fried/exposed once the Three Amigos come to her town.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh ok, so just so I’m clear, the actual human being getting exploded by a terrorist deserves to die because his boss withheld supplies? Yeah that definitely tracks, really cleared it all up for me. Karli never meant to hurt anyone! She just threatened innocent women and children and got literally all of her closest friends killed! A misunderstood Robin Hood of the modern age!

not a good look, not as bad as the desk clerk's boss using military force to seize supplies and segregate people, then staffing their now military establishment with civilians.

not a good look

my b, i'll keep my posts short for you from now on, to spare your urge for ridiculous hyperbole and irrational hatred of strawmen.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Karli blew up the building because her mother figure died from tuberculosis while the GRC was holding humanitarian and medical supplies from the very people they were supposed to be giving them to.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s not hyperbole. She literally does threaten innocent children, and gets all of her closest friends killed. Karli fuckin’ sucks.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That definitely justifies burning Paul Blart alive

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Who has the biggest body count in this series? Sam, zemo, zemos butler or Karli

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Terror Sweat posted:

Who has the biggest body count in this series? Sam, zemo, zemos butler or Karli

Sharon?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s not hyperbole. She literally does threaten innocent children, and gets all of her closest friends killed. Karli fuckin’ sucks.

The hyperbole was you assuming that my claim that the GRC also is party to the deaths of their staff is the same as me saying he deserves to die.

fyi these poor desk clerks have full uniforms and the one who speaks literally only does so to assert his place in the conflict, he's not begging for mercy or surrendering or even making the 'just following orders' excuse.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Everyone posted:

Basic Googling told me that in Norfolk, VA circa 2014, the street value of a kilo of cocaine was something like $300,000. Pretty valuable stuff, right? But you know when the cops/DEA are busting in, somebody'll be in the bathroom trying to flush those kilos down the toilet. It really doesn't matter how "valuable" something is if possessing it puts you in imminent danger of getting arrested and/or killed.

The scientist guy seemed surprised to see Our Heroes, so that means the frantic phone calls Sharon was doubtless making to him to get the gently caress out or pretend he didn't know her behind the scenes weren't going through. She can't let him see her because he'll likely blurt out that she's his boss, so she vectors in the bounty idiots because she's way more likely survive a shootout with them than going up against Sam Wilson, who, aside from being The Falcon has US military contacts that could result in a Reaper Drone putting a Hellfire missile through her bay windows. Plus Bucky Barnes, who is clearly capable of turning the Winter Soldier stuff back on whenever he feels like it. Oh, and Helmut Zemo, the dude who almost got the Avengers to destroy themselves and who is now somehow out of prison and allied with Barnes and Wilson.

I think the story makes a lot more since with the idea that this isn't some grand master plan by Sharon. It's Sharon scrambling to keep her own rear end from being fried/exposed once the Three Amigos come to her town.

This is what I was trying to get at. Sharon tried to get Karli back on her side but at the end of the day Sharon only really cares about Sharon. I know people picked up on it early but I think they still had hope that she hadn’t really turned bad and therefore her motives didn’t make sense. But in retrospect they do if you think of it as her trying to close the case for the superheros while not completely blowing up her spot.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The hyperbole was you assuming that my claim that the GRC also is party to the deaths of their staff is the same as me saying he deserves to die.

fyi these poor desk clerks have full uniforms and the one who speaks literally only does so to assert his place in the conflict, he's not begging for mercy or surrendering or even making the 'just following orders' excuse.

Look it’s pretty obvious you think killing those people was justified because Karli’s mom died or whatever but it only succeeds in making Karli feel better and has literally absolutely NO IMPACT WHATSOEVER outside of that. Probably the most selfish reason to kill someone. It’s not like killing those people got them to release the medicine at other depots or whatever. What does Karli accomplish with her murders? How does killing those people or Lamar do anything?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

I think you are a psycho who gets enjoyment from people you don’t like dying.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

I was talking about the politicians in the post that I thought you were replying to, and I'm pretty sure you don't know what authoritarianism means, or stalinism, if you got that from my post.

not all violence is equivalent, violence from the powerful toward the powerless is objectively more immoral than the violence in reverse, and despite being super soldiers Karli and her <12 friends are not in any way on equal footing with the power of nations backed by military force. that's the *exact* opposite of a call for authoritarianism, miss my posts until you're smarter.

Until you take up your SKS to start the Revolution and quit being a cringey internet tankie trying to justify your violent power fantasies, miss my posts.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 1, 2021

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I'm here mourning the loss of my precious battlestar as much (or more) than the next person but he was killed in self defense while performing a military operation and the deadly blow was obviously accidental at that. Hardly a casus belli.

As for the people hording medical supplies, they were actively killing the refugees by denying them needed life-saving supplies, it was a military target. Killing them after capturing them was a bad choice but a valid tactical one for resistance fighters facing a world government, it clearly sends the message to other gnc goons that just because they aren't shooting the refugees they're still killing them and will be treated that way, something that would discourage people to continue working in a job directly oppressing and killing said refugees. Or maybe they'd stop sitting on life saving resources and start handing them out to the people in need.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

*Comes in with goods before the thread implodes*:

https://twitter.com/ngoziu/status/1388295720126631939

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

GodFish posted:

terrorism
Casual mass murder doesn't stop being casual mass murder just because you've dehumanized the people you're murdering. You can cry "greater good" all you want, but that's also what they're doing, and it feels a bit tough to swallow any sort of moral high ground argument when in the end there's fewer people at all. Not to mention counterproductive! Creating martyrs just galvanizes opposition.

I dunno. I'm pretty good at not killing people. Maybe that's unusual! I'll admit that my experience in that regard might be different than yours.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Karli shouldn't have tied up and set those people on fire AND the people in charge were reprehensible arseholes that deserved to be dropped off a bridge.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. She was a sympathetic character who did something awful out of grief, anger and perceived powerlessness. There's nothing noble, righteous or constructive about killing the people in front of you because you can't get to the ones actually responsible. It made her a more interesting and complex creation.

Same with Walker. Flawed and awful but capable of nuance. I guess a blind squirrel still finds a nut occasionally. Again, someone he loved dies and he finds and kills someone in a blind rage who minutes before was trying to stab him to death.

Both these characters did terrible and unacceptable things because they were propelled by emotions they could not control. It's not like one of them has to be right for the other to be wrong. And overall Karli can still be very right about the hosed up power structures that need to be torn down. But, both characters in this punching man story, as written, had motives and reactions that seemed in line with the arcs of their narratives.

You can understand why someone did something whilst really wishing they hadn't and greatly preferring they didn't do it again. That's not the same as approval and it sure as poo poo isn't fascist boot sucking.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Saying you actively want humans dead or declaring people of a given group to be nonhuman kinda is, though.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Can't imagine anything problematic about othering people of any kind.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Let's defend extrajudicial execution because this is just a power fantasy anyway and my impotence knows no bounds.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

GodFish posted:

I'm here mourning the loss of my precious battlestar as much (or more) than the next person but he was killed in self defense while performing a military operation and the deadly blow was obviously accidental at that. Hardly a casus belli.

As for the people hording medical supplies, they were actively killing the refugees by denying them needed life-saving supplies, it was a military target. Killing them after capturing them was a bad choice but a valid tactical one for resistance fighters facing a world government, it clearly sends the message to other gnc goons that just because they aren't shooting the refugees they're still killing them and will be treated that way, something that would discourage people to continue working in a job directly oppressing and killing said refugees. Or maybe they'd stop sitting on life saving resources and start handing them out to the people in need.

Just want to check this - are you suggesting therefore that anyone who has ever joined the armed forces because perhaps it was their only means of getting health care or education because of the huge structural inequalities in their country are therefore fair game to be kidnapped, beheaded, tortured etc by people who disagree with their government and see themselves as freedom fighters?

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

Casnorf posted:

Saying you actively want humans dead or declaring people of a given group to be nonhuman kinda is, though.

Well yeah. If you don't want to feel bad about what you did, trying to make it matter less in the eyes of others by suggesting the victims aren't the same as everyone else, seems to be a classic tactic from the big book of hosed up authoritarianism.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

Marsupial Ape posted:

Until you take up your SKS to start the Revolution and quit being a cringey internet tankie trying to justify your violent power fantasies, miss my posts.

you can tilt at your tankie windmills all day and nobody will care but you didn't get there from anything I said and you definitely didn't get there by knowing how to use the words you're using.

ClydeFrog posted:

Just want to check this - are you suggesting therefore that anyone who has ever joined the armed forces because perhaps it was their only means of getting health care or education because of the huge structural inequalities in their country are therefore fair game to be kidnapped, beheaded, tortured etc by people who disagree with their government and see themselves as freedom fighters?

it's very mean and nasty and I don't like it (if I dont say this dumb people put words in my mouth) but the moral culpability there is the people directly responsible for huge structural inequality and exploiting it, and hemming and hawing about how bad it is to treat oppressive military forces without mentioning that part is just cheerleading for the powerful and the violence they inflict.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

If Battlestar had lived but with a serious injury he could totally have changed to the much better name of Battlescar.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

ClydeFrog posted:

I mean I did say it was bad :shrug:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

you can tilt at your tankie windmills all day and nobody will care but you didn't get there from anything I said and you definitely didn't get there by knowing how to use the words you're using.

All ideology aside, you attempting to attack my intelligence with a nigh unintelligible run on sentence is pretty great. Please keep fumbling with your smug attempts at justifying murder you find emotionally satisfying.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The dude named “ROCKSTAR MASSACRE” advocating for Karli’s rockstar massacre is a good bit

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ClydeFrog posted:

Well yeah. If you don't want to feel bad about what you did, trying to make it matter less in the eyes of others by suggesting the victims aren't the same as everyone else, seems to be a classic tactic from the big book of hosed up authoritarianism.

Which was Sam's point in his initial (and well on its way to succeeding before Walker showed up) attempt to talk down Karli. He got her to say that poo poo out loud and hear it from her own mouth with her own ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

The dude named “ROCKSTAR MASSACRE” advocating for Karli’s rockstar massacre is a good bit

But they're not?