Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Rexicon1 posted:

woo ee tried playin some falstad, is he just a trash bin hero in QM because every game I just felt like I was zoned out of everything and couldnt do any damage when I had openings. Even with AA build.

Falstad's AA build is the shortest range of the bunch, try another one next time. Generally speaking, basic attack heroes have shorter range than their spell-based counterparts, which is one of the reasons that they tend to struggle on the whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Falstad is fun with the W-Build (and Barrel Roll speed at 16). Not totally broken, but given that you're still lighting up people while poly'd or stunned... well maybe it is broken.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
The new Falstad W build doesn't really come together until level 13+ but it does absurd single target damage and you aren't trying to aim your spellcast or land autoattacks. All you do is a bunch of fancy footwork to keep them in range, baiting people to chase you then you use E to dive through a wall while still staying in distance for the lightning rod hits. If you play that game right and get the full set of lightning rod hits on a frail assassin they will 100% die from just that spell alone. And when they die it resets cooldown so you just do it again with the next lowest HP hero.

It's like Li Ming's skill reset trait: if you can focus someone down FAST they are dead and you can immediately start the same kill on a new hero. This swings teamfights in your favor very quickly.

Autoattack Falstad can do serious damage and serious self-heals, but he feels kind of archaic like a dota 1 hard carry that NEEDS farm and support compared to other autoattack DPS heroes like Illidan or Jimmy. For most of the game, you don't want to be contesting a lane or ganking (unless a really easy opportunity comes up). You want to split push with your flight to cross the map quickly. Just farm hard and eventually you show up to a teamfight and delete people because your team's XP and your attack damage quest stacks put you far ahead of any enemy DPS. Barrel roll is a very nice positioning escape, but the shield is tiny and your base HP is low. You need support that is on-point to give heals and grant you unstoppable so you can keep swinging that hammer and hitting people. It's a hard carry and requires hard support. I can't think of any other HotS heroes that play this way. Everyone else has talents and innate skills/traits that make them more self-reliant. Autoattack Falstad absolutely needs his team to hold him up while he farms, and then hold him up while he fights to get the most out of his damage. Butcher even feels like less of a hard carry. Parts of his kit let him successfully gank long before MEAT QUEST is finished.

You can probably ignore all of that and just split-push in QM, show up for a teamfight overfarmed and blast your laser then swoop in to clean up most of the time.

Haven't tried new Falstad's redone Q quest yet. How does it compare to the old one? Do you build up damage earlier or later compared to the old version? Having the boom baseline and counting towards hero hits sounds really nice and I imagine it's excellent against extra bodies like Samuro or Vikings.

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010
I've only tried Q build a few times in aram but it felt pretty underwhelming compared to what it was. W build looks to be the go to now.

Also, here is your daily post about what a dumpster fire QM is. Every match involves my team wandering around aimlessly while the other team that is clearly a premade just 1 v 5's us repeatedly. I try to pick tank since 90% of QM is assassin, just to try and get some teamwork, but, nah. Everyone just ignores "group up please" after 10.

The only mode I can play now is aram, and even that has some really broken stuff that makes for some real lame games more often than not.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Macaluso posted:

Have you tried playing Murky

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010
I work the murk regularly. All slime, all the time.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Rexicon1 posted:

Boy I sure do wish QM tried a little harder to make games that weren't the worst thing imaginable.

This has always been a problem, and it's not any better now that only like a thousand people probably play it. Unless of course you want to wait 5 minutes to play QM, they can't really make the comps better.

And regarding Falstad, he was my main squeeze throughout alpha and well into the game's release. And unless I'm mistaken, he has never once been "bannable" until maybe recently and that was only because he was legit broken. But broken Falstad is still pretty substandard. He's just too squishy to be able to deal enough damage against decent players, so the only real value is using the trait to split push or maybe fly behind the enemy team for an offensive gust. Either way, he's not that great at what he does.

I wouldn't necessarily undervalue split pushing though, seeing as about 80% of the HotS population doesn't understand how experience works. It's just boring having to do it almost every game because no one else will. This is why I never pick heroes without waveclear anymore.

Grimdude fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 19, 2021

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
After quitting back when Blizzard put a bullet in the pro scene's head a couple buddies and I have ended up picking the game back up a bit. I'm enjoying it for a lot of the reasons I used to, and it frustrates the poo poo out of me for the same reasons, too, but busting out a quick 20 minute match still feels pretty good most of the time.

How's the situation with unranked vs QM--a few posts up made mention of the latter being a shitshow, which reflects my current experience, but I haven't done much unranked since getting back just so I can pick the characters I actually want to play in the moment. This will 100% change soon, I'm sure, if the trend of getting an Aba in every other game keeps up.

I dig the new characters--the last release before I stepped away was Whitemane or Mephisto I believe--a bunch, though lmao at Gazlowe's rework apparently rocketing him to top tier over anyone released remotely recently. Mei absolutely rips so far, and is definitely my favorite of the bunch.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Last I checked, Unranked was a barren wasteland. I hope you find some good games in there, though.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I have not played unranked in like 1.5 years so can't comment on current queue time. I imagine it's abysmal outside of prime time hours.

Ranked and unranked drafts are really fun when playing with friends though. Knowing what heroes your team is good at playing, knowing the general interactions and rock-paper-scissors of most heroes, playing mind games against the enemy team with your draft order to try and get a surprise last pick advantage... that's great stuff, it's fun and you learn a lot of indirect information just from seeing the drafts and play/counterplay in a match.

It can be kind of intimidating to do solo because you have no idea how chill/angry your team might be about picks, some people get so mad about picks that they leave a completely winnable match right at the start because an enemy player counterpicked their hero and "it's all over guys, we already lost"

The people that don't do that poo poo are the ones you add to your friend list. If you're going to play a bunch of matches back to back, it's much better spending 10-20 minutes making a party with known reasonable human beings instead of solo queueing and having the chance of someone on your team spray slurs all over while feeding because we can''t win and I'm going to prove it by making you lose

QM is dumb for entirely different reasons, but still more fun with a group of friends than solo.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

All good stuff that matches my experience/expectations so far. Unranked is dead outside of primetime, but ranked and QM seem pretty consistently populated. QM continues to be extremely lmao since it's a mixture of completely bonkers nonsense team comps and/or smurfs and newbies getting tossed indiscriminately into pools of whomever is queuing. Sometimes fun, always a clusterfuck, I like being able to pick specifically who I want and it's a good time with friends.

My roommate and I have been doing a little bit of ranked and it's been pretty solid, save for the expected raging from randoms. Just part of mobas, though, I guess--it doesn't really bother me anymore, so it's overall pretty comfy.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'm really, genuinely happy to see that Unranked has gotten better since I last tried it. Previous experiences led to a 10 minute queue at minimum, with no real maximum that we ever hit.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I just played 3 games of ranked hots.

I haven't played in this game in ~3 years.

It was fun to hop back on :)

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Deathwing shouldnt be allowed in games where both sides don't have a healer, or better yet he shouldn't be allowed in any games plz blizzardactivision turn him green and put in Ysera on the game instead

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Camel Camus posted:

Deathwing shouldnt be allowed in games where both sides don't have a healer, or better yet he shouldn't be allowed in any games plz blizzardactivision turn him green and put in Ysera on the game instead

best you're gonna get

Krono99
Dec 5, 2003
Got a small crew doing bronze and silver tonight, my buddy is streaming our mediocrity:

https://www.twitch.tv/mrmattbarr

Krono99
Dec 5, 2003
May have room for another after this one who is Bronze/Silver if anyone wants to join! Message me Krono#1169

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

game good

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Kith posted:

game good

Hamfingers picked the Invisible Man, what's wrong with that?

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Mesadoram posted:

Hamfingers picked the Invisible Man, what's wrong with that?

What are you talking about that's Valeera

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Sab Sabbington posted:

:hmmyes:

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Sab Sabbington posted:

Level 233 Valeera here, can confirm

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Nah, we finally found Kloctus.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

What are you talking about? That's clearly Sanpytrin.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
To this day, in any game that has a draft/buy/preparation phase, I think of (and sometimes actually say) "ban Kloctus" before the round starts.

Nobody ever gets it. That's a very insular meme. It is one of our cultural treasures.

On the other hand, I just got got Deathwing to level 15, and really want to hit 25 fast for only one reason: his taunt is an extremely loud roar and it gets louder the higher your mastery level is.

I spam it at the gates when a match is about to start and say "ROAR STUCK! ROAR STUCK! PLEASE, I BEG YOU, WE'RE DEAD, ROAR STUCK! ROAR! STUCK!"

sometimes people get that one.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

someday i promise i will make a dnd character named kloctus, as soon as i can figure out how to make it the most overpowered character ever

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
every time I think I want to try and fool around with Storm League I am INSTANTLY reminded why I never play SL. It's a nightmare zone and there is no fun to be had.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I always felt like I had way better games in Hero League, I miss it.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Ort posted:

I always felt like I had way better games in Hero League, I miss it.

honestly me too, its not like SL really helped queues much its still 15 minutes for a game anywhere above gold 1

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Is it just me or does Malfurion's Innervate build feel really broken once you hit 13? It is very micro intensive compared to other healers, you need to be watching all your current Regrowths to keep them active, which lowers the cooldown on Innervate, which gives free mana and lowers the cooldown of your own skills and your target's skills. I feel like it has a high skill floor; not because it has precise timing or awareness, you just have to be watching a lot of things at once, on top of spamming Moonfire and Entangling Roots every time they are up. You are never not doing something.

It seems to work really well with lane pushers like Azmodan or Xul, who can also bully 3+ heroes out of the lane when you are drip-feeding them endless HP and mana and cooldown reductions. Gul'dan can also output absurd damage numbers but can't withstand a counter push/defense by enemies heroes like Azmo or Xul.

Nazeebo with the right build seems like it would be similar to Gul'dan but I haven't tried it yet.

When I'm not in the mood to spam everything and have eyes on everything, Innervate Malfurion is a chore and I feel spent after one match. When I'm in the zone though, it feels like I'm the most impactful support hero in HoTS and I get all riled up and have a good time.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
I just wish QM didn’t match me into 5 stacks when I am a solo player. It feels so bad to play into a constructed comp on coms with 4 randos.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The Matchmaker is the actual MVP of most games. It makes some truly stupidly one-sided lineups, especially when it makes the 'odder' lineups like no Healer, or multiple Tanks.

(Like putting 3-4 Heroes with self-heal/sustain mechanics against a team with none, had this happen to and for me now a few times.)

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Shockeh posted:

The Matchmaker is the actual MVP of most games. It makes some truly stupidly one-sided lineups, especially when it makes the 'odder' lineups like no Healer, or multiple Tanks.

(Like putting 3-4 Heroes with self-heal/sustain mechanics against a team with none, had this happen to and for me now a few times.)

My favorite is looking between both comps and realizing that the whole issue could have been resolved by just swapping one player from each team, it's always very rad.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I love getting in 4 or 5 mans and accidentally (or sometimes purposefully) getting into quick play with comps the matchmaker clearly just doesn't have any idea what to do with

"All supports" is a decently fun time

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Shockeh posted:

I'd much rather have longer queues than some of the braindead stuff the MM comes up with.

Krono99
Dec 5, 2003
Check us out:

If theres an opening in the group feel free to reach out to join!

Krono99
Dec 5, 2003
May have room for another after this one who is Bronze/Silver on NA server if anyone wants to join! Message me Krono#1169

Got a small crew doing bronze and silver tonight, my buddy is streaming our mediocrity:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Samuro is a high win rate beast but I always have so little damage with him.

Anybody got HOT TIPS or tutorials on how to do the orc samurai

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
There is a really in-depth guide for him somewhere on Reddit by someone who one tricks him in masters I think, you could try searching on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
My favourites list now, I have realised, is basically 'Heroes who gently caress with / troll the enemy team all game'.

Alarak
Artanis
Brightwing
Medivh
Mei
Orphea
Samuro
Stitches

KTZ used to be on there, but his bad matchups are SO BAD (and so popular, Li-Ming & Lunara for example) he's super fun when you're playing lineups he's okay against, but just one of his big problem heroes and you're miserable for the whole round. Samuro recently graduated to the list because building him for sustain is so much more fun than building him for crit, you just dance around the enemy team until someone commits, then they die for it, because good luck catching the right Samuro.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Samuro is a high win rate beast but I always have so little damage with him.

Anybody got HOT TIPS or tutorials on how to do the orc samurai

Easy-peasy-abusey-fuckwit build:

1: Way of the Wind
4: One With The Wind
7: Phantom Pain (Arguably all three are viable here, I just like Phantom Pain)
10: Bladestorm
13: Kawarimi (Shukuchi is accepted knowledge, but I personally like getting another image for Phantom, and you'll pull off even more escapes)
16: Harsh Winds (E up to someone, Attack, Q, R. Congratulations, you just killed <insert hero here>)
20: Wind Strider if you're playing properly, Dance Of Death if you're clowning on them. Watching four Samuros all Ult at once *panics* people, and is very funny, but the 'correct' choice is Wind Strider.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 1, 2021