Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

So everything I'm about to say comes with the caveat that I'm speaking mostly of 3-4 player hard/expert mode, but I'm not sure if there's anything innate to the campaign that makes them better, besides the fact that 3 of them are just extremely good. I'm also of the opinion that Sister Mary is, if not outright bad, at least very mediocre. Honestly I think overall the Guardians are just the weakest faction, both in terms of investigators and their actual card pool. Mark is great, Leo and Cho are solid, but the rest are average or worse. And really Leo's mostly saved because he can access Rogue cards which really helps paper over a ton of his issues. It just seems most of the other classes have cards (or abilities) that let them not only take care of resources/card draw much easier and more efficiently, but they also just have more powerful things they can do generally as the game advances and you get more and more xp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Mary has a extremely indirect effect compared to most investigators. Until she gets out her power cards, like the holy spear or the Egyptian archer, all she’s really doing is helping people succeed tests they would otherwise fail. If you’re going for a lot of manipulation as a team, and you have a survivor, favor of the sun lets you buy three successes for two bucks in a card, not even an action. And that will keep you alive against a tough encounter deck.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

Mary has a extremely indirect effect compared to most investigators. Until she gets out her power cards, like the holy spear or the Egyptian archer, all she’s really doing is helping people succeed tests they would otherwise fail. If you’re going for a lot of manipulation as a team, and you have a survivor, favor of the sun lets you buy three successes for two bucks in a card, not even an action. And that will keep you alive against a tough encounter deck.

The spear isn't really that good on her-the 3 fight is just bad for a mainline fighter and paying 5xp for a weapon on someone who isn't a main fighter is...greedy. As for helping people succeed test they'd otherwise fail, that's really only relevant on encounter cards since you're really not gonna be taking test you expect to fail (unless you want to fail, which in that case it's counterproductive anyways). Part of the issue is that guardians don't really have the best bless support outside of Mary's 1 a turn and a couple of decent payoffs. Not to mention if the use case for making an investigator decent is a full team building their decks , including one specific class who takes certain xp cards...that's not really good. I think Mateo or Wendy do the blessed theme better, which is a bit disappointing being that's all she really has. I just think the majority of other investigators offer more.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
We ran a mystic seeker Sister Mary with lots of anti-mythos tech and a parallel Skids with sawed off shotgun and the pair trivialized Carcosa on hard.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

We ran a mystic seeker Sister Mary with lots of anti-mythos tech and a parallel Skids with sawed off shotgun and the pair trivialized Carcosa on hard.

What do you mean by mystic seeker? Also if you have the skids decklist I'd be interested in that, we've been wanting to mess around with parallel skids (I think he's probably good but haven't actually tested him). Although sawed off shotgun seems...strange.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
She used Rite of Seeking alongside mystic and guardian events to pick up clues. Did all of the "seeking" for a two person group. I don't remember the specifics, my friend was running the investigator.

The Skids build looked something like this:

https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/1379710

Shotgun gives the absolutely highest value possible out of things like well-connected, three aces, and money talks while leaving a hand free for either a backup weapon like the alien weapon from the blob scenario or flashlights. I ended a couple scenarios with more than 100 resources because I wanted to see if I could.

Edit: If I were running this again I'd take an earlier Eucatastrophe because you quickly get to the point where you only fail on a tentacle and his elder sign effect is great.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 23, 2021

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

She used Rite of Seeking alongside mystic and guardian events to pick up clues. Did all of the "seeking" for a two person group. I don't remember the specifics, my friend was running the investigator.

The Skids build looked something like this:

https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/1379710

Shotgun gives the absolutely highest value possible out of things like well-connected, three aces, and money talks while leaving a hand free for either a backup weapon like the alien weapon from the blob scenario or flashlights. I ended a couple scenarios with more than 100 resources because I wanted to see if I could.

Edit: If I were running this again I'd take an earlier Eucatastrophe because you quickly get to the point where you only fail on a tentacle and his elder sign effect is great.

I think that's similar the direction I was trying to go, but didn't have some of the recursion stuff and Eucatastrophe. Basically just abusing easy mark/three aces and his 25 card deck size. That's very slick, that deck looks like a machine and I will definitely try a version sometime.

Also I mentioned in my caveats that my discussion was for 3-4 player games. 2 player is a different beast because many locations and much of the investigating tasks can be handled by one card/resource (drawn, scene of the crime, single rite of seeking charge, single deduction, etc). Also ammo weapons in general are way better in lower player counts just because you'll not face the enemy volume/hp scaling of larger player counts. I think a lot of investigator balance really changes at true solo/2 player/3-4 player because of how the game scales.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Jacqueline + Daisy crushed Dream-Eaters B-side, but Wendy + Zoey couldn't handle Where the Gods Dwell if I stacked their decks beforehand. When I built Wendy, I was too used to true solo, so I was building her as the usual jack-of-all-trades. Too many Hunter enemies and enemies that caused problems if they stuck around even if evaded. She can throw a lot of tries at 5 shroud locations in true solo, but she needs help when there's multiple clues on them. I'd never played blue before, but thought Zoey would have a good economy with all the swarms. I was right, she was drowning in cash for every scenario except the final one, which has no swarms. I realized too late that I needed heavy damage weapons, because I was running out of ammo on my .45s against the stacked chaos bag. I'd cut Machetes because they weren't good against swarms, and didn't have Bandolier because I'll just draw the weapons when I need them, right?

I'm going to run A again with different characters (or a better-built Zoey + a clue finder) and keep my B campaign as reference for plot points.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
i just ordered the core set and am extremely excited to Vape CBD and play this by myself

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

John Romero posted:

i just ordered the core set and am extremely excited to Vape CBD and play this by myself

Cthulhu By Day.

Hastur in the sheets...

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Grabbed two core sets and Dunwish and played the Night of the Zealot twice - once with recommended decks (before I got second deck) and got my poo poo pushed in by the final old god.

Went again except with two of every card and Dunwich and ran Zoey and Daisy and it was just great. Super thematic as Daisy ran around finding clues while Zoey just eviscerated everything that looked at her funny with a machete.

In the last scenario I got unlucky with mostly clues Daisy was having a nightmare time trying to figure out so the old god summoned and started hunting me so I was like eh let him come. Zoey grabbed her shotgun and a bunch of extra ammo and started loading up while Daisy grabbed her encyclopedia. It was a great moment as the old god burst through a clearing attacking Zoey while the two of them were reading the encyclopedia and Zoey was all "Oh you point it AT the monsters!" used her police badge and a bunch of commited cards to blast the old god straight into the buckshot dimension in a single turn.

Having 2 of actual good cards (doesn't take too long to see which cards are good - key skill boosters, action economy, efficient damage, etc.) made the game super easy. Got all six cultists too!

I'll probably bump it up a difficulty level for my next game. Haven't done a ton of Rogue-style cards so thinking maybe Jenny and either the Mystic guy with the trombone or Pete cause he gets a good boy to help him.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Devourer Below is not highly regarded in part because you are usually better served in that scenario just letting the god come and just blowing them to hell. Still, glad you had a successful outing.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else played Horror in High Gear yet?

I just played it with my 4 man group and I swear we misinterpreted the rules somewhere.

If/when the two cars split up, is there an easy way to merge again? We had one group find the ending location, but the other group seemed trapped in a corner with nothing to do but die. Is one car always hosed when the group splits? Is there a movement mechanic we didn't miss where you can move backwards?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You can move at any time if the car is running and you take an action, but you draw an encounter card. Forwards or backwards.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
played my first game last night, went insane as soon as I left the hallway, game rules

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

John Romero posted:

played my first game last night, went insane as soon as I left the hallway, game rules

This game has a steep learning curve, but it's super fun. I still don't know all the times I'm allowed to play ~ abilities, aka "player windows", which I'm about to find out because I might play Luke and knowing exactly when I can frig off to my dream dimension is going to come in handy. Weird rules interactions come up all the time, like tonight I had to look up whether attack of opportunities hit me after I pay the cost for a non-evade/parley/fight action or after it resolves. It's after the cost is paid, but before the effect happens, so my investigator couldn't go out in a blaze of glory investigating for that last clue.

I played The Circle Undone's prologue tonight. It was annoying to set up - if you don't know, you get neutral investigators and have to start with some mostly-core-set cards in play or in hand. I almost printed the cards out from Arkhamdb instead of pulling them out of my collection. But it was really fun to play a scenario where I knew I was doomed from the start. I can't wait to see how my failure affects the rest of the campaign.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The online table has the player windows labeled, I would definitely print it out. Knowing you can activate after Hunter’s move but before they attack is super useful.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
The Circle Undone has way too many scenarios where you set everything up, then half way through you have to move everything and set up a whole new board state.

OurIntrepidHero
Nov 5, 2011

He's just too fast!

Golden Bee posted:

The online table has the player windows labeled, I would definitely print it out. Knowing you can activate after Hunter’s move but before they attack is super useful.

This sounds incredibly useful. I'm not sure what the online table is though, would you help a goon out with a link?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Not Keyser Soze posted:

The Circle Undone has way too many scenarios where you set everything up, then half way through you have to move everything and set up a whole new board state.

TCU is also brutally hard

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Hey, everyone who messaged me about my spare Dunwich Covenant board. Turns out I only had 2x, not 3x! Sorry-- I ant to keep 2x for my girlfriend and I to play on.

I think I must have given it away a year ago.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

OurIntrepidHero posted:

This sounds incredibly useful. I'm not sure what the online table is though, would you help a goon out with a link?

The rules reference has player window infos near the back. Lays everything out pretty clear imo:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/c4/b0/c4b0d66c-d79e-411b-bdb5-b5d8c457d4bc/ahc01_rules_reference_web.pdf

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The online TTS “artifact expansion“ has five new investigators, three of which I really like. The best is the new guardian, who likes Tool cards and comes with some new ones, including a motorcycle. (It lets you move to another location as an activate action, and bring one other person with you.)
The survivor is a reporter, who wants to get evidence from as many spaces as possible every turn. That adds some heft to the clue tech that gets clues from afar, which is normally less useful.

I recommend checking it out.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I ordered some Arkham Horror goodies from Team Covenant almost three weeks ago, and the shipping information hasn’t updated since May 17th. I don’t know much about USPS, is that typical? Our tracking information in Canada is usually pretty spot-on and updated frequently.

I know this isn’t really an AH LCG post but hey, whatever.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Jcam posted:

I ordered some Arkham Horror goodies from Team Covenant almost three weeks ago, and the shipping information hasn’t updated since May 17th. I don’t know much about USPS, is that typical? Our tracking information in Canada is usually pretty spot-on and updated frequently.

What's the last tracking update? That will inform a lot.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

What's the last tracking update? That will inform a lot.

It was just stuck on “In Transit to Next Facility” since the 17th but of course right after I complain on the internet it updated this afternoon. Always works out that way.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
There's two parts I like about Arkham Horror: one is the part where I'm discovering things for the first time. I might read some general tips on the campaign before I start, for example "make sure your intellect skill is high for this campaign" or "these maps are pretty huge, bring movement tricks" but I like leaving most things unknown. Usually my decks are a drat mess by the final scenario, because I might be trying new things with new investigators and I have wasted a lot of XP somewhere. The final scenarios so far haven't rewarded fun builds, they demand very good decks or else I'm stuck reading a bad ending again.

The other part is where I replay the campaign again knowing what to expect, and... not demolishing it, but having a much easier time. I two-handed Dream-Eaters A and B as a full campaign, and managed to win B easily the first time through, but failed at the A part. That one's well-known for not being accommodating to lower player counts. But Gloria smashed it. I kind of regret bringing Zoey again, because while she's good against swarms, anyone can pack Storm of Spirits or Grenades, and as mono-Guardian I had trouble spending her influx of cash. Plus, there are no swarms in the final A scenario, so getting an extra resource for drawing a 4-health enemy is not rewarding at all. She was a meat shield and a bug zapper with her Lightning Gun, but any blue idiot could have done that.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The chef is an amazing partner to mystics. She can take “let me see that“ from rogue, and be a secondary spellcaster/cluever.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Jcam posted:

There's a chance it's stuck in customs maybe? I know my friend put in an order from Team Covenant recently and we're expected to get our boards this week.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

alansmithee posted:

There's a chance it's stuck in customs maybe? I know my friend put in an order from Team Covenant recently and we're expected to get our boards this week.

That has to be it, it updated but still has a few stops to go I think. Did you all order Innsmouth boards? I jumped on it immediately.

Shoutout in here for the generosity of alansmithee for sending me a spare Dunwich Legacy mythos board and player tokens from Team Covenant, thank you again. I mean, it ultimately made me spend a bunch more on their entire AH LCG line because I loved it, so maybe my bank account isn’t so pleased, but it’s worth it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Hello I just started playing this game, we have only one core set, we got to the pantry on the first 'adventure' and then the detective guy saw too much bad stuff and went insane! Let me know if there's anything we should really know to Have A Good Time!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

They want you to buy more stuff.

The core box has no flexibility in deck building, The first scenario is more beatable if you're good at running away, the second doesn't care if you succeed, and the third one is pure bullshit

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Did we understand the rules about engagement correctly?

Our read was that when the Ghoul Priest pops up, he immediately engages the guy with the highest might. The other character (we were doing 2 player) can then spend an action to engage the Ghoul Priest, pass an agility check to run away, and leave the Ghoul Priest just...chilling there? None of the conditions for engagement seemed to involve just being in the same location as a ready enemy (as opposed to entering a location with a ready enemy).

He won't do anything unless we leave, because then his Hunter keyword kicks in and he follows us and engages the high might guy again?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

At the end of the turn, he’s going to re-engage. If you’re somewhere else And he’s exhausted, he’s going to ready but he won’t hunt until the next turn.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Ah, okay. And fleeing enemies leaves them exhausted, yeah?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Also note the Prey - Highest Might (and Prey in general) is a tie-breaker for hunting/engagement. If there's someone else between the enemy and the person with the highest might, the enemy is just going to hunt that nearest person. If everyone is in the same room and thus equidistant, the Prey text breaks the tie and targets whatever the Prey is.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

SelenicMartian posted:

They want you to buy more stuff.

The core box has no flexibility in deck building, The first scenario is more beatable if you're good at running away, the second doesn't care if you succeed, and the third one is pure bullshit

Exactly this. Also the Devourer Below is like top 3 worst scenarios in the entire game even after 4+ years.

They really need to release a Core 2.0, but they're printing money off of this game plus there already is a Return to Night of Zealot, so ehhhhhhh

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I have an almost complete collection of this game, but lack most of Path to Carcosa. Looking on Ebay, these packs are pretty pricey. Do they ever reprint old adventure packs?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

The chef is an amazing partner to mystics. She can take “let me see that“ from rogue, and be a secondary spellcaster/cluever.

I know what card you mean, the one that lets you play something from someone else's hand? "You Owe Me One"? I can see that, mystics sometimes get assets stuck in their hand.

GreenMarine posted:

I have an almost complete collection of this game, but lack most of Path to Carcosa. Looking on Ebay, these packs are pretty pricey. Do they ever reprint old adventure packs?

I want Carcosa next, but it's been out of stock for a while. It will get reprinted sooner or later, COVID delays are making it hard to even get the latest expansion out. I might just have to settle for The Forgotten Age since that one's fully in stock, even though its theme is the least exciting to me out of the ones I'm missing: Carcosa, Forgotten Age, and Innsmouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you’re running sixth sense, you want two for consistency. If you have something with charges and no way to restore them, letting Zoey borrow may be harder.