Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

I haven't worked with an enterprise Quest 2 but I strongly suspect "no facebook accounts" doesn't mean "no logins", it means "a much more tightly controlled and centralised login system to control how these devices are being used".

Yep, this page already mention a 'Oculus for business account'
https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/ofb/ofb-developer-reference/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is Oculess still around, or did it get mysteriously purged from GitHub?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

No it's still there.
https://github.com/basti564/Oculess

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, about that...

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I haven’t forgotten about you, I just fell asleep in deep space in elite dangerous last night so I didn’t get a chance lol

Appreciate it! Yeah I’m not as quick as someone like him (and I still don’t understand what the hell the rotating both hands thing top players do is supposed to accomplish or how it works) but I’m pretty quick on DT reloads and that and sako reloads just won’t work smoothly for me. To be fair, I do miss sako reloads pretty often even on VD.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

explosivo posted:

I haven't tried it but there is an option to change which hand you hold guns with and movement is done with the left stick already, so unless it reverses that when you choose left handed mode (which, it might I suppose) I think this would be possible with the tools in game?
Nah it isn't. You can switch your gun hand to your left hand but this mirrors every control. For some reason though the option also seems to just make the controls go crazy so half the options stop working. I don't know if it's some weird way games work with external binds or whatever but in the end I gave up, which is super-frustrating when it sounds like such a simple thing that should be doable.

Edit: Yeah it's the same problem and I can't figure it out. Everything works fine and controls can be re-configured as normal with default settings but the instant you switch the gun to your left hand the controls become absolutely insane and cannot be configured. I give up (again).

Pierson fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 30, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rectus posted:

Somewhat related, still working on my welding bullshit.

https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/1382796370537541634

It would be a lot nicer if literally everything SteamVR related in UE4 wasn't completely broken though. I got most of it fixed, but the frame synchronization is still completely hosed up and I can't get any answers about it anywhere.

I mean look at this poo poo. And that's just when it still manages to fire off the frames in time.

Well that makes me feel better about all the SteamVR Unity bullshit.

We need the industry to standardize the OpenXR plugin yesterday. Managing all the various headset APIs is nearly impossible for indies.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Stride coming to Quest, to no one surprise
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/n225j0/stride_has_been_approved_for_oculus_quest/

Hyper Dash new update, with 2 new modes and new maps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRiJQFUhas

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
https://twitter.com/oculus/status/1388225633013026818?s=20

welp. thats happening.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Beginning to feel rather glad Sony bought Insomniac Games. Because it looks like there is a healthy chance Facebook would have tried o.o

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Twibbit posted:

Beginning to feel rather glad Sony bought Insomniac Games. Because it looks like there is a healthy chance Facebook would have tried o.o

But now we don't get more Unspoken and Stormland and those were both phenomenal :(

God bless capitalism and its inexorable grinding to dust of creativity and joy

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Lemming posted:

But now we don't get more Unspoken and Stormland and those were both phenomenal :(

God bless capitalism and its inexorable grinding to dust of creativity and joy

I want a Stormland sequel so bad. I love the game but there's so much untapped potential there.

Someone else needs to steal every good idea from that game and make a spiritual successor.

Or if someone combined Stormland with Deus Ex that would also make me very happy.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Stormland was one of the AAA VR games with more promise, much more than Asgard's Wrath, so it was a pain when they were bought by Sony.

How is Onward? I always forget the comparisons between these games, Onward, Zero Caliber, Contractors, Pavlov.

edit: Ok, Onward is more the Insurgency or Squad of the bunch, Pavlov is CS and Contractors is CoDish? it seems it combines low ttk of Onward with the more run and gun feel of Pavlov.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 30, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Is anyone else having trouble running SteamVR games over Air Link?

I'm following the general advice of adding them to my oculus library and launching them from there but they generally fail to launch properly.

I launch the game, my oculus home disappears, I go into a void for a minute, then oculus home launches again running like poo poo. When I pull up my desktop I can see that the game has loaded and there's a window but it's not displaying to my headset.

I've also tried launching them from Steam on my desktop but that doesn't help.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't really mind the trend right now of VR studios getting bought up. The money from sales is still tiny compared to console/Monitor-PC so the goal of getting swallowed up for a bucket of money will probably lure some talent into the space. Yeah it sucks that these companies will be releasing samey stuff but I feel like getting new players into the space as a whole is a bigger plus.

Plus I always like to see these early developers make bank.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lockback posted:

I don't really mind the trend right now of VR studios getting bought up. The money from sales is still tiny compared to console/Monitor-PC so the goal of getting swallowed up for a bucket of money will probably lure some talent into the space. Yeah it sucks that these companies will be releasing samey stuff but I feel like getting new players into the space as a whole is a bigger plus.

Plus I always like to see these early developers make bank.

On the whole I agree that it doesn't matter too much except to the degree the individual devs benefit. I would be more concerned about it if I was worried that like, Facebook was leveraging their buyouts to have a really strong slate of experienced VR people who really understand the medium that they'd be able to use to push software forward and dominate, but... they're not. They bought Beat Saber and they're making more Beat Saber, they didn't figure out how to make Horizon good or interesting

I think that regardless of how many studios FB buys they aren't going to be really poised to dominate VR software wise unless they have a change in leadership or mindset or something, so I'd start worrying if it looked like that was happening

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tip posted:

If anyone here has been waiting for a great deal on a Quest 2 strap upgrade here's a killer one:

less than $16 shipped (from Amazon)

I know a couple people with this same strap and it's really nice. I just ordered one.

Heads up though, on the Amazon page you need to click on the options for buying new and pick the one fulfilled by seltureone for the coupon to work.

I ordered one an hour ago and it's coming Monday, but I think they're getting slammed because it looks like new orders are gonna take a couple weeks.

So I finally got this delivered today and... I can't get it installed to the drat thing. It took a firm nudge to disconnect the original strap but trying to attach this and I genuinely feel I'm going to end up breaking the strap or the quest because the thing will not give. not to mention there's not a whole lot to hold on to on the strap/side itself so you're putting a ton of pressure on the quest and yeah I feel I'm going to break this thing.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So I finally got this delivered today and... I can't get it installed to the drat thing. It took a firm nudge to disconnect the original strap but trying to attach this and I genuinely feel I'm going to end up breaking the strap or the quest because the thing will not give. not to mention there's not a whole lot to hold on to on the strap/side itself so you're putting a ton of pressure on the quest and yeah I feel I'm going to break this thing.

It took a firm squeeze to pop the pieces on and it made me a little nervous but it worked. I feel like if it was really easy to pop on it would also be prone to popping off during intense play, so that didn't really bother me.

However, once I did get it installed I discovered it was way too big. The part on the back meant to cup your skull only makes contact along the middle for me, despite having a giant head. I feel like I got sent the XXXL size.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Twibbit posted:

This is the biggest problem with platform holders buying up studios is it just seems to be ramping up in this huge arms race where "well we better buy X before someone else does". Like if Sony didn't buy Insomniac, maybe facebook would have, and if facebook didn't buy ready at dawn, sony might have considering how much they worked with sony before VR, maybe if microsoft didn't buy bethesda sony would have, etc. In the meantime everything is getting divided up into fiefdoms. Welp, no more insomniac VR games, at least on PC, welp, no more bethesda games on playstation, welp, no sequel to lucky's tale in VR because microsoft bought them.

Theres no good guy in this because honestly at this point if you're a platform holder of any kind who's not in the process of scoping out studios to hoover up, someone else is just going to beat you to it. This is the kind of poo poo that needs legislative action of the anti-trust variety to solve but, lmao that ain't happening.

Lemming posted:

On the whole I agree that it doesn't matter too much except to the degree the individual devs benefit. I would be more concerned about it if I was worried that like, Facebook was leveraging their buyouts to have a really strong slate of experienced VR people who really understand the medium that they'd be able to use to push software forward and dominate, but... they're not. They bought Beat Saber and they're making more Beat Saber, they didn't figure out how to make Horizon good or interesting

I think that regardless of how many studios FB buys they aren't going to be really poised to dominate VR software wise unless they have a change in leadership or mindset or something, so I'd start worrying if it looked like that was happening

Well, its clear what needs to happen then, you need to start talks with facebook to buy out Lemming© and have them incorporate gorilla tag into horizons :v:

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.

Turin Turambar posted:

Stormland was one of the AAA VR games with more promise, much more than Asgard's Wrath, so it was a pain when they were bought by Sony.

How is Onward? I always forget the comparisons between these games, Onward, Zero Caliber, Contractors, Pavlov.

It's interesting. The weapon handling and is super solid, and pretty granular in a way I like a lot. I've sunk hours and hours into just firing range stuff. As far as the actual game goes: I dunno. The idea is cool to me, but I'm pretty crummy at it, and the fun-level seems to be very teammate-dependent. Basically, it's not done. If you like crunchy gun stuff, it's definitely superior to Pavlov Shack and Pop 1. I probably wouldn't buy it if it weren't on sale, though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tip posted:

It took a firm squeeze to pop the pieces on and it made me a little nervous but it worked. I feel like if it was really easy to pop on it would also be prone to popping off during intense play, so that didn't really bother me.

However, once I did get it installed I discovered it was way too big. The part on the back meant to cup your skull only makes contact along the middle for me, despite having a giant head. I feel like I got sent the XXXL size.

I finally got it in after I figured out how to hold it and apply pressure across the entire piece. It feels real good! I got it real snug and did a some Beat Saber (via AirLink) and it felt way more comfortable than the default straps. Definitely going to be helpful on longer sessions.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I finally got it in after I figured out how to hold it and apply pressure across the entire piece. It feels real good! I got it real snug and did a some Beat Saber (via AirLink) and it felt way more comfortable than the default straps. Definitely going to be helpful on longer sessions.

Hoping I like it better than the elite and the post saying its for XXXL heads makes me hopeful. I'd REALLY like to use my quest more but I can't wear it more than 20 min honestly. Sad days being a big headed boi.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Onward is pretty fun and my friends I play it with like it more than pavlov but that fuckin sucks that fb bought them. Ugh. Wonder if it will get removed from the steam store now or will just be an orphaned product with onward 2 being oculus exclusive.

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.

priznat posted:

Onward is pretty fun and my friends I play it with like it more than pavlov but that fuckin sucks that fb bought them. Ugh. Wonder if it will get removed from the steam store now or will just be an orphaned product with onward 2 being oculus exclusive.

I wouldn't be surprised if Onward 2 ends up an exclusive, but, per the FAQ posted on the website today , it shouldn't affect the roadmap for Onward 1, including the support for non-oculus PCVR.

E: BBcode is hard

TadBradley fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 1, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'm honestly really happy for them. Been following the development since the very start, and the fact that they're presumably getting such a huge paycheck is great.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Warbird posted:

Some sort of non hitscan projectile might be fun, a grenade or the like. That said, kids would instantly take monkeys/apes throwing stuff to its natural conclusion.

Call of Doody

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

priznat posted:

Facebook also owns Beat Saber and that's still going strong on every available VR platform.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Happy that the devs get paid but everything that increases Facebook's control and influence on the industry in general is a bad thing.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Tip posted:

Is anyone else having trouble running SteamVR games over Air Link?

I'm following the general advice of adding them to my oculus library and launching them from there but they generally fail to launch properly.

I launch the game, my oculus home disappears, I go into a void for a minute, then oculus home launches again running like poo poo. When I pull up my desktop I can see that the game has loaded and there's a window but it's not displaying to my headset.

I've also tried launching them from Steam on my desktop but that doesn't help.

Not sure if this helps but I have a similar problem with Virtual Desktop and the only thing that fixes it is disconnecting / quitting the app and starting over.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

GoodApollo posted:

Not sure if this helps but I have a similar problem with Virtual Desktop and the only thing that fixes it is disconnecting / quitting the app and starting over.

Quitting which app? I feel like I've tried restarting every individual thing that I could.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Tip posted:

Quitting which app? I feel like I've tried restarting every individual thing that I could.

Virtual Desktop. I also generally find it smoother if Steam is not running when I connect (on VD and Air Link both).

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Are there any decent puzzlers or sims where you can casually interact with stuff and not ram my fists into fragile furniture? seems like the VR library is still kinda stale with shooters.

I know VRChat has some games on it but it also seems sparse.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
VR chat has minesweeper, and it was the one and only time I've ever actually beaten a game in my as of this year 30 year life span.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Zaphod42 posted:

Well that makes me feel better about all the SteamVR Unity bullshit.

I've been working on Unity stuff for 6 months now and most of the time I want to just chuck it out a window. Light baking sucks, terrain sucks; if you want anything to work well you need an expensive paid asset. I'm finally getting the hang of it but it was a hard fought victory to get where I am.

To be fair I'm using Unity 2018 since I'm making VRChat worlds so newer versions might be easier to work with.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Lacrosse posted:

I've been working on Unity stuff for 6 months now and most of the time I want to just chuck it out a window. Light baking sucks, terrain sucks; if you want anything to work well you need an expensive paid asset. I'm finally getting the hang of it but it was a hard fought victory to get where I am.

To be fair I'm using Unity 2018 since I'm making VRChat worlds so newer versions might be easier to work with.

A large part of that is that modern game engines don't come with level design tools anymore. The editors in Unity and UE4 are just for compositing existing assets and everything serious is done in external tools.

One reason I started making stuff for SteamVR Home is that the Source 2 Hammer editor is so much ahead anything else on the market it's ridiculous. Too bad it's made by Valve.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

No engines except Source use brushes for geometry anymore.

If you're working in Unity, Bakery is worth looking into and investing in. Unity's default light baking is pretty abysmal.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Brushes are less effecient performance wise than static meshes once you hit certain polygon limits. Ue4 still let's you use them to block out levels, it just expects you to either replace them or use the convert to static mesh tool later.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Dizz posted:

Are there any decent puzzlers or sims where you can casually interact with stuff and not ram my fists into fragile furniture? seems like the VR library is still kinda stale with shooters.

Cubism is a pretty chill puzzle game.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Dizz posted:

Project wingman is very much not a sim but you can play it with an xbone controller or a hotas(allegedly) while chilling in your chair.

Apparently subnautica vr is like 1 nexusmod away from being not a trash fire.

Vrchat has among us and alcoholism beer pong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Marxalot posted:

Project wingman is very much not a sim but you can play it with an xbone controller or a hotas(allegedly)

"Allegedly" was the key word for me. It didn't play nicely with my HOTAS at all.