Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Notahippie posted:

It was one of those points where I was like "poo poo, cyberpunk happened when I wasn't looking." Those are coming increasingly frequently, which is worrying.

People pretending to be catgirls is cyberpunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

thetoughestbean posted:

Based on every cyberpunk game I’ve played in, yes.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

thetoughestbean posted:

Virtual idols sure are.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Mystic Mongol posted:

Virtual idols sure are.

Yeah, and even Gibson didn't see home-computer generated idorus run by random folks in their bedroom coming.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
he came up with artisanal handcrafted computers, we get mass market where everything's either a black block or rgb gamer bullshit

he extended the massive idol trend into the same but cyber, we get random niche weirdos doing streams as whatever idol rig they came up with

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Hololive is way more Gibsonesque by virtue of being a big Japanese syndicate.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Haystack posted:

There's already even an example of one of their creations (sort of) going rogue! :china:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

he came up with artisanal handcrafted computers, we get mass market where everything's either a black block or rgb gamer bullshit

he extended the massive idol trend into the same but cyber, we get random niche weirdos doing streams as whatever idol rig they came up with

the artisinal handcrafted thing does exist but only for keyboards

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Impermanent posted:

the artisinal handcrafted thing does exist but only for keyboards

Building your own pc from parts would definitely seem like it has some parallels with building your own custom deck, but I can't say I have personal experience with either.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Haystack posted:

The main difference is the talent appears to have a fair amount of power in the relationship and by and large seem to be really, genuinely not exploited.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

lightrook posted:

Building your own pc from parts would definitely seem like it has some parallels with building your own custom deck, but I can't say I have personal experience with either.

Even more cyberpunk than usual right now, because you can't get the parts to build your own rig due to a bunch of cargo-cult capitalists buying up all the graphics cards to waste as much energy with them as possible.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Even more cyberpunk than usual right now, because you can't get the parts to build your own rig due to a bunch of cargo-cult capitalists buying up all the graphics cards to waste as much energy with them as possible.
Noticing I got the $1400 and hearing that some complete rear end in a top hat invented a crypto which needs hard drive space to work means i just scrambled to buy some new hard drives i've needed for a while yesterday.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Liquid Communism posted:

If you wrote a novel about people inventing a business that just pollutes the world and wastes energy and that this generates money for you, you'd get rejected by every publishing house for writing "cartoonish characters" and told that nobody wants to buy your terrible Fern Gully fanfiction.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Mors Rattus posted:

The main difference is the talent appears to have a fair amount of power in the relationship and by and large seem to be really, genuinely not exploited.

It's haaaaaard to say, because the whole product is charming people living happy lives. And you hear about that vomz girl who got fired & memory holed for.... something that offended management. Who knows what.

We'll find out in fifteen years, maybe.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hey so remember how Zak S is suing GenCon? Guess who else he's suing.

https://twitter.com/funtasticFunman/status/1388277057898139648

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Lol that's a quick dismissal on the gen con suit.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

lmao yeah that didn't take much time at all, I guess it's different suing people in a country where it isn't incredibly weighted against the defendant.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
:allears:

It's like, the one thing America isn't trash about sometimes. Still, I wonder what case he could possibly think he has against Mearls, of all people.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Agent Rush posted:

:allears:

It's like, the one thing America isn't trash about sometimes. Still, I wonder what case he could possibly think he has against Mearls, of all people.

I mean I genuinely doubt he has a case but if I had to guess why he's suing him it's for his name getting removed from the credits of future 5E corebook printings.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Zak's lawyer is 100% taking him for a ride and I'm honestly here for it.

"Yeah, sure, sue Mike Mearls. Keep suing people. Sue everyone. Let me keep bleeding daddy's trust fund in lawyer fees"

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Mearls suit got dismissed just about one month after filing. I’m a little curious to read the ruling, but not curious enough to pay the 3.50 it’d cost to access the record from the King County Superior Court.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

I'm curious enough. I can't believe Zak wasted fifty cents of my money by reproducing Mandy's entire blog post. Anyhow.

It's about Mearls' Facebook post, in which he criticized harassers in general and then said Mandy was brave and that people shouldn't buy into Zak's smear campaign. It's also about WotC announcing that Zak's name was out of the credits. It's interesting to note that "Since Defendant published the Mearls Post, Plaintiff has been shunned by book publishers, in the art world, and in the film industry, and has lost substantial income."

Mearls' lawyers pointed out that the post wasn't actionable and that Zak loves him some unproven hypotheticals. "Smith’s bizarre and unpled allegations that Mearls acted out of jealousy or 'wokeness,' for example, are allegations of fault, not falsity."

Oh my god, Zak's claiming Mearls was jealous of him because Zak beat him in the Ennies.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Thanlis posted:

Oh my god, Zak's claiming Mearls was jealous of him because Zak beat him in the Ennies.

lmao

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Thanlis posted:

I'm curious enough. I can't believe Zak wasted fifty cents of my money by reproducing Mandy's entire blog post. Anyhow.

It's about Mearls' Facebook post, in which he criticized harassers in general and then said Mandy was brave and that people shouldn't buy into Zak's smear campaign. It's also about WotC announcing that Zak's name was out of the credits. It's interesting to note that "Since Defendant published the Mearls Post, Plaintiff has been shunned by book publishers, in the art world, and in the film industry, and has lost substantial income."

Mearls' lawyers pointed out that the post wasn't actionable and that Zak loves him some unproven hypotheticals. "Smith’s bizarre and unpled allegations that Mearls acted out of jealousy or 'wokeness,' for example, are allegations of fault, not falsity."

I'm cackling please help me I'm dying

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Tag yourself, I'm the bizarre and unpled allegations.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Bad hair man wants to win Meltdown May.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
roflolmao

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
A lawyer had to tell another lawyer the exact words of a man who looks and lives like he method acted a goth drug dealer for a community theatre walk-on and then never got out of character

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Thanlis posted:

The hero we deserve.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm going to sue Monte Cook for being a bad designer.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Thanlis posted:

loving astounding. It's hard not to imagine that this all boils down to Our Most Infallibly Logical Boy inflicting his posting style on his lawyer. Though of course there is no shortage of just lovely lawyers in this country, which seem like the only ones likely to carry this turd's water.

quote:

Didn't D&D sweep them every time until enough people got tired of it that they just withdrew from consideration?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm going to sue Monte Cook for being a bad designer.

He's criminally bad, but sadly meets standards and expectations of the industry.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

moths posted:

He's criminally bad, but sadly meets standards and expectations of the industry.

The plastic handjob should be a criminal offense in any court in the land.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

That Old Tree posted:

loving astounding. It's hard not to imagine that this all boils down to Our Most Infallibly Logical Boy inflicting his posting style on his lawyer. Though of course there is no shortage of just lovely lawyers in this country, which seem like the only ones likely to carry this turd's water.
Rich ligitous clients attract a very specific breed of lawyer. Someone with pockets as deep as Zak's who likes suing people over petty nonsense make a certain type of person's eyes turn into giant cartoon dollar signs.

Guarantee he's getting paid hourly

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Kurieg posted:

The plastic handjob should be a criminal offense in any court in the land.

is there an indepth review of that ridiculous cube somewhere that isnt from someone that isn't a sunk cost cultist? i dont care if its a good or negative review, im just tired of gushing

Froghammer posted:

Rich ligitous clients attract a very specific breed of lawyer. Someone with pockets as deep as Zak's who likes suing people over petty nonsense make a certain type of person's eyes turn into giant cartoon dollar signs.

Guarantee he's getting paid hourly

In the book Conspiracy, basically the story of how Peter Thiel destroyed Gawker, Ryan Holliday makes it very clear that 99.9% of lawyers who get involved in lawsuits like that absolutely cum when an "obvious mark" walks through a door. Not saying Zak is, but, you know.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Thanlis posted:

Side note: Does this mean that Mandy's post about Zak is now on the record somewhere he can't get it wiped by threatening legal action?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

is there an indepth review of that ridiculous cube somewhere that isnt from someone that isn't a sunk cost cultist? i dont care if its a good or negative review, im just tired of gushing

Someone was doing it for FATAL and Friends, I think? If that didn't finish... well, I may need to pick it up. I bought that big loving cube, after all, and should do penance for that.

(Short review: the feelies are lavish, at least for the core Black Cube, but the product is basically a gilded packing peanut. There's next to nothing there, even by the pretty lax standards of a Monte Cook game.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I went over it for my Patreon but that's not public, I think it's best described as an occult mystery game that was fundamentally disinterested in being mysterious. Though the base mechanics are loose, the game is loaded with so much crunch that it's ultimately like if you stapled d20-style advancement onto FATE, it's just got lots of different moving parts pushing against each other.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The most Monte Cook thing about Invisible Sun, the thing that really sums it up to me, is that one of the characters you can play is a wizard who memorizes spells by having to fit actual physical spell cards onto an inventory page. Right away, that concept conjures up all sorts of neat ideas, yeah? Spell cards of wildly different shapes that you can try and puzzle out different ways to make all fit together, progression upgrades that let you do things like physically alter cards by folding or cutting them into new shapes, buffs or debuffs that temporarily (or permanently) alter the inventory page itself in some fashion, etc.

And the actual execution is that every spell is just on the same square shaped card, that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I went over it for my Patreon but that's not public, I think it's best described as an occult mystery game that was fundamentally disinterested in being mysterious. Though the base mechanics are loose, the game is loaded with so much crunch that it's ultimately like if you stapled d20-style advancement onto FATE, it's just got lots of different moving parts pushing against each other.

what the gently caress I thought it was an Amber or Ember or whatever, what with the real world being fake and pocket dimensional poo poo