Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If nothing else, this got me back to the website to relive the last few strips and feel the joy of everyone escaping (and Stuart getting boned).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Nov. 4th, 1940

Bertram's not gone, but it's been shifted down the page so I no longer have to look at it while grabbing The Red Knight. Thank gently caress, too! He's been in blackface for like, nearly a week.

Axa

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

riderchop posted:

drat why isn't Hector like this anymore

Funny to see these early strips, because I had never realized that he was Hispanic. In retrospect the name was a pretty obvious hint.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Drunken Deer 1/11-13/43

1) Wow, Deer sobers up fast.
2) "Strange giddiness"? C'mon, ancient Egyptians had wine and beer, they knew about being drunk.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Spoiling because it's kind of gross (vore)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So a couple of comic related news items:

First, Georgia Dunn announced on her Instagram yesterday that she has been accepted into the National Cartoonist Society. Today she posted these images that I thought were cute:

Second, John Allison announced on his Patreon that his original Scary-Go-Round site down and he doesn't know when or if it will be back up. This means that the original Bad Machinery and New Bobbins strips will be unavailable (he had already taken down the classic Bobbins and Scary-Go-Round comics back in 2020). He is going to release collections of the New Bobbins strips on his Gumroad store store, as well as on his Patreon for the $3 and up supporters.

Finally, I found this Axa fan page. It may be of some interest to some of you. It also had this drawing of Axa and Mark One by Hanna K, who was one of the storyboard artists and writer for Adventure Time (I think it might have been posted here before).

Mark: Are you coming Axa?
Axa: I just have to do this sexy pose first.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The_Other posted:

Finally, I found this Axa fan page. It may be of some interest to some of you. It also had this drawing of Axa and Mark One by Hanna K, who was one of the storyboard artists and writer for Adventure Time (I think it might have been posted here before).

Mark: Are you coming Axa?
Axa: I just have to do this sexy pose first.

Oh my God. That's great! Thanks for finding this! I don't think I've seen that picture before, either.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Man, remember Netscape Navigator?
No, but I remember watching my older brother showing my dad internet explorer and wondering when he was going to stop goofing around with whatever demo this 'explorer' thing was and show us the actual internet.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

amigolupus posted:

Team Evans really doesn't want Gunther to do anything wrong, so now he's not even allowed to participate in the conversation. :laffo:

I dunno, leaving the conversation was one of the smartest things Gunther's done.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Howard Beale posted:

I dunno, leaving the conversation was one of the smartest things Gunther's done.

yeah the best thing to do when in a conversation with luann and bern is leave

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (March 21, 1992)

He's about to do something nuts, watch

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
That is one of the scariest things about banks. They can just call in your loan.

Just ring you up and say " Hey, you owe the entire amount of your load/mortgage/whatever, by the end of the week".

Or at least, could. Maybe theres more protections on that nowdays?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Selachian posted:

Drunken Deer 1/11-13/43

1) Wow, Deer sobers up fast.
2) "Strange giddiness"? C'mon, ancient Egyptians had wine and beer, they knew about being drunk.
Ancient Egyptians loving loved getting drunk.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

The other thing that makes this so hate-able is that she's actually being a big snob here. In yesterday's strip, Michael brought home what appears to be an older friend, Artie, who had a night off from work and was willing teach Michael how to drive. But just because he looks like a punk, Lynn starts going on about how Michael can get qualified driving instructors instead, and isn't it good how driving school offers programs so that you could learn from professionals?

Eh, I get what you're saying, but if I had a teen of age to learn to drive, I wouldn't want him learning from another teen, no matter how clean cut.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Julet Esqu posted:

Eh, I get what you're saying, but if I had a teen of age to learn to drive, I wouldn't want him learning from another teen, no matter how clean cut.

Some places this literally wouldn't have been allowed. The current law here in PA states that the person in the passenger seat must be:

quote:

a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old, or a licensed spouse or guardian who is at 18 least years old

So in practice it means either a professional instructor or your parent, but sometimes a significantly older sibling or other relative.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (May 6, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 29, 1918)

Banana Oil! (March 7, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (June 18, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (November 18, 1935)

Mopsy (January 18, 1937)

Dark Laughter (June 9, 1945)

Those Were the Days (February 5, 1953)

Wee Pals (August 7, 1965)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My second shot has left me reeling so not a lot of commentary tonight.

Dykes to Watch Out For #141 (1992)

In 1992, the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision came under threat in Planned Parenthood v. Casey, which took aim at a Pennsylvania law which unconstitutionally regulated access to abortion. With the roster of conservative supreme court justices on the bench, there was a real threat that Roe v. Wade could have been severely walked back or overturned. In April an enormous Pro-Choice rally was held in Washington DC, which is where, I presume, our characters are in this strip. In fact, just a few strips we saw Harriet talking about her work volunteering on organizing the March on Washington. So probably a further reason for Mo to stay home.

Batman (11/21/1989)

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 1, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (June 9, 1945)

Wow. Seeing those Italian kids there reminds my of Christ stopped at Eboli. That's a... surprisingly sincere representation of poverty right there.

And from that to today's Blueberry: Where we last left our heroes..., or It's over, Lone Eagle! I have the high ground!, or Blueberry using an established trick, again

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dark Laughter just gets too many fine details of wretched poverty at home and abroad.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Bonus post nobody asked for: Did you know Cathy is doing single-panel "Cathy Commiserations" comics? 99% of them are covid related. I'm not going to start posting them daily.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
god bless u cathy

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon :confused:

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Doomykins posted:

I like every strip where Travis is happy and he's quite an optimistic guy, he can be happy with just the engagement of good conversation or any fun situation. Look at that bathtub panel. :3: He doesn't crave death, the little designated rear end in a top hat just needs to let him chill and live life.

(Scary Gary is a great strip and Leopold is a fine character, the question with every designated rear end in a top hat is why anyone obeys his demands or doesn't shoot him.)

I dislike the smug rear end in a top hat sitcom archetype character in general because they're usually played off like obnoxious self-inserts. But Leopold really hits me the right way because he thinks he has a superior attitude rather than just being smarter than everyone else, so it never feels like he's being presented as objectively correct. And it also really helps that the best way to get under Leopold's skin is to be nice to him, something which happens reasonably often and for which he never has a snappy comeback.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
That Gary doesn't just tell him to gently caress off or shoot/kill him probably bothers him a lot more, since Leopold's issue with the other is that Gary isn't the ruthless monster that he used to be.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (January 22-28, 2001)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Here the comic becomes very silly, because yesterday we had a chase scene and now he randomly starts doing some woodwork.

In the book Eerikki randomly opens doors trying to find the kitchen without being chased by anyone. He finds the workshop and the turner asks him to lend a hand. After a while he tries to do something himself, which impresses the old man.

It's still not entirely clear, why he's so eager to take random job (make 300 more "knobs"/"buttons" for mandarins - I don't know what those are exactly supposed to be), but maybe he is a video game protagonist and willing to grab every side quest.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn ends this whole thing nice and sweet

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he just likes wood turning. Is he turning door knobs?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Vargo posted:

Welp, now Phoebe will stare at her ears in the mirror every morning for the rest of her life.

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 07, 1945)

By the way, I don't know anything about it but Solum appears to be in western Egypt.

The Medieval Castle (Jan. 07, 1945)

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 1, 2021

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Vargo posted:

Oh poo poo she's got owl ears! Now she can use them to figure out the precise location of sounds at night, enabling her to more efficiently prey on small rodents!
who the hell calls that poo poo 'imperfections'?

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 07, 1945)

"ugh stop being so wonderful i'm trying to hate you. this is a hate-kidnapping, not a love-kidnapping."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "37 - Jucika and the Asphalt Rascal"

Asphalt Rascal being slang for cat caller and Jucika being a kind and hard lady. :allears:

"Jucika and the Robot Man Part 2"

Realizing he has no unit, the metal man is enslaved. Gradually he understands what it truly means to be human...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "37 - Jucika and the Asphalt Rascal"

Asphalt Rascal being slang for cat caller and Jucika being a kind and hard lady. :allears:

"Jucika and the Robot Man Part 2"

Realizing he has no unit, the metal man is enslaved. Gradually he understands what it truly means to be human...

Horny on and under Main Street.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Jucika is so refreshingly kind-hearted, helping that man up from the hole before she beats him.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 20, 2009)

*true

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 20, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 20, 1989)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (August 20, 1989)

I'm not questioning his camping skills but shouldn't the sleeping bag be inside the tent?