Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
currently reading the Official Timeline in the NieR World Guide, and its very funny to me that there was apparently a group of androids who thought humans were lame and wanted nothing to do with them, and consequently hosed off to form their own country in Australia :allears:

e: apparently sometime during the initial machine wars, the androids found, and then immediately lost atlantis. :wtc:

e2: the reason the vast majority of YoRHa androids are women is because when they formed an squad of male androids, they attempted a coup d'etat after literally 4 days. why is so much amazing bonkers poo poo hidden in the side materials

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Too wacky for Square Enix, I guess.

Is there a list of all the weapon stories anywhere? There’s a wiki, but it’s outdated and has really bad translations.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 1, 2021

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Too wacky for Square Enix, I guess.

Is there a list of all the weapon stories anywhere? There’s a wiki, but it’s outdated and has really bad translations.
The World Guide (vol 2), actually

It has weapon stories for all weapons that appear in Automata, including any entries from past games. It doesn't include weapons that weren't brought forward, however.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I am becoming frustrated by this game

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

or should I say, this "book" (too much reading)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blaziken386 posted:

The World Guide (vol 2), actually

It has weapon stories for all weapons that appear in Automata, including any entries from past games. It doesn't include weapons that weren't brought forward, however.

Hmm, I’ll check it out. I’m most interested in the new ones, though. I might grind them out after all.

By the way, Ending E spoilers:

So there’s this one achievement you get.

Title: e8a898e686b6e382b5e383bce38390e383bc
Description: e38392e382abe383aae382ace3839fe382a8e383ab

Obviously this is hex, but I have no idea what encoding it’s supposed to be. Any ideas?

Think I got it. It should just be UTF-8:

Title:
e8a898 -> 記
e686b6 -> 憶
e382b5 -> サ
e383bc -> ー
e38390 -> バ
e383bc -> ー

Description:
e38392 -> ヒ
e382ab -> カ
e383aa -> リ
e382ac -> ガ
e3839f -> ミ
e382a8 -> エ
e383ab -> ル

“Kioku server, hikari ga mieru”. “Memory server, the light can be seen”? What the gently caress? :psyduck:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 1, 2021

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I love how this game has a "this is the point of no return. proceed?" confirmation prompt before entering final level, and in the 2nd room you enter, before you even fight anything, you get an option to just give up and warp back to town anyway

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Hmm, I’ll check it out. I’m most interested in the new ones, though. I might grind them out after all.

Obviously this is hex, but I have no idea what encoding it’s supposed to be. Any ideas?

Apparently if you translate it to japanese it translates to "Storage Server", which makes sense. Tho a bit anticlimactic.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

It lists the weapon stories from Grimoire Nier as though they're from Replicant, and they seem right. (I didn't double check though)

Also, according to google translate:
Title: Memory/Storage Server
Description: I can see the light

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I did all that work and people have already figured it out. :negative:

What the gently caress could that possibly refer to, though? The Forest, maybe?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I did all that work and people have already figured it out. :negative:

What the gently caress could that possibly refer to, though? The Forest, maybe?

I mean a Memory Server is just literally where the whole thing took place unless I misunderstood the whole thing the twins explained as soon as you walk in

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

beep by grandpa posted:

I mean a Memory Server is just literally where the whole thing took place unless I misunderstood the whole thing the twins explained as soon as you walk in

Well yeah, but in that case, why hide it? And what does “I can see the light” mean? Eh, speculation, I don’t think we’ll ever know. Unless it’s “you saw the light”, which means that for whatever reason this is just a trophy that’s obscured. Probably for anti-spoiler reasons.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 1, 2021

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I took that phrase as Kaine's a metaphor for what brother nier meant to her as she was drawn towards "the light" to find him while not even knowing exactly what it was that she was driven to :unsmith: and written that way cause they were just being cute with the computer-centric plot device

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

I love how this game has a "this is the point of no return. proceed?" confirmation prompt before entering final level, and in the 2nd room you enter, before you even fight anything, you get an option to just give up and warp back to town anyway

It also amuses me that it has a point of no return prompt for what is very obviously a point of no return, but doesn't have a point of no return prompt for triggering the sequence leading to the timeskip, which is something like an hour of cutscenes and fights or more before you can save again and locks you out of finishing so many sidequests. The first time I played the game I hit that point shortly before I needed to go to bed and had to stay up way too late completing it, I remember being really stressed out and repeatedly failing bits because I wasn't sure what the game needed me to do and I just wanted to get it done and go to bed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

beep by grandpa posted:

I took that phrase as Kaine's a metaphor for what brother nier meant to her as she was drawn towards "the light" to find him while not even knowing exactly what it was that she was driven to :unsmith: and written that way cause they were just being cute with the computer-centric plot device

Works for me! :v:

Also, I just found an example of that very thing I was talking about :

https://twitter.com/rodechi_/status/1387429158276505603?s=21

:wtf:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Maybe he's telling the truth to Weiss and all of his letters' handwriting bear a striking resemblance to the postman's :thunk:

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Just started route B. A word of warning, if you dive into DLC content it saves your progress in that only but not the main story. Just had to repeat the opening of route B because I assumed since the game told me it saved I could go to the title and play with wardrobe options.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Something I noticed in my many runs through Shadowlord castle is in the second battle with Devola and Popola, during the first phase of the fight against Delova, Popola just stands around in the background for a while and eventually starts powering up Devola by doing some really cool dance numbers in the back. I really enjoyed watching her dancing - she has a ton of different moves! And I think the start of her dancing may be timed to only start with the vocal tracks kick in to the fight, but I'd need to go back and try it again. Really cool!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ending D still gets to me
my fishing records nooooooooo :smithicide:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Running into something weird related to sidequests, would appreciate if anyone can help out. I've completed Facade in Part Two and gotten the fragment. I also did the Missing Girl quest back in Part One and according to all the side quest stuff I'm reading there should be a new side quest open called Shadows of The Desert and you kick it off by talking with a Facadian standing near the boat dock in the desert, but no matter how many times I reload there's no person anywhere near the dock other than the boatman.

Is this a bug or am I missing some trigger for it? I did all the other sidequests in Facade.

this is supposed to be where it starts but there's no one here:

edit: having asked around, apparently you need the sacrifice key from The Aerie first.

axeil fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 1, 2021

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

SUCCESS :toot:

and on the first attempt, too. (I of course immediately reset so that it could turn into seeds)

Fun fact: Lunar Tears are essentially replenishable full HP heals, which you otherwise can't purchase unless you help that old lady smuggle drugs.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just finished my second run. Ending A felt bitter sweet, Ending B felt like Yoko Taro prying my chest open to punch my heart.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Part 2 feels so much better to play than part 1. Why does the game let you run around for 15 hours before giving you basic QOL features? :yokotaro:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think it’s more that as the series progresses Taro just gets better at making games. Nier is better than Drakenguard and Automata is just better than Neir. It’s a slow progress but it’s there

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think the Lunar Tear trophy pops for picking up the seeds anyway

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

beep by grandpa posted:

Something I noticed in my many runs through Shadowlord castle is in the second battle with Devola and Popola, during the first phase of the fight against Delova, Popola just stands around in the background for a while and eventually starts powering up Devola by doing some really cool dance numbers in the back. I really enjoyed watching her dancing - she has a ton of different moves! And I think the start of her dancing may be timed to only start with the vocal tracks kick in to the fight, but I'd need to go back and try it again. Really cool!

I just learned that yesterday! The music just stops entirely if you pause the game in any way, so as not to desync Popola from the music. Apparently Popola’s dance number was in the original too, but Yoko Taro considers that little easter egg a failure because its so hard to notice.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

e2: the reason the vast majority of YoRHa androids are women is because when they formed an squad of male androids, they attempted a coup d'etat after literally 4 days. why is so much amazing bonkers poo poo hidden in the side materials

The YorHa Boys novel/stage play contradicts that, I think. Male models are found to be too unstable/ineffective at fighting the war when deployed as a group, so they all get recalled to be changed into scanner models only. Basically wiping their memories/personalities so they can only fulfill that one role. Its pretty hosed up when it happens in the stage play/novel. As they were continuously getting killed/revived throughout the war and then basically get shafted.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/NieR_JPN/status/1388473965622947846
:sickos:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In case anyone was remotely worried
https://www.gematsu.com/2021/05/new-yoko-taro-title-composed-by-keiichi-okabe

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Maybe something broke in my brain in the 10 years since this game came out but I decided to do all the side quests and it’s not that bad actually

The flower one is a blatant gently caress you and the fishing one is a bit of a struggle towards the end but the others aren’t so bad if you just put on a podcast and resign yourself to grinding the junk heap a few times.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

His game budgets peaked with Nier: A and are now going to get lower and lower until he's just filming himself acting cutscenes at home.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Going through the process now of unlocking Ending E.
Goddammit, I thought I had to just get to The Aerie and the new stuff would kick off from there. Of course they managed to squeeze in another trip to the Junk Heap at the last second. :argh:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Augus posted:

Going through the process now of unlocking Ending E.
Goddammit, I thought I had to just get to The Aerie and the new stuff would kick off from there. Of course they managed to squeeze in another trip to the Junk Heap at the last second. :argh:
yeah the popular instructions for it are a bit misleading: it's the later visit to the aerie when you're fighting the large shade a second time a few hours into the game

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It really blows that there’s no way to do an actual NG+ route A run.

I just wrapped up the weapon upgrade trophy so now I just need to fish and wait another couple of days for my Lunar Tear, then it’s one final speed run that I’d much rather do with my maxed weapons!

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
The side quests are not that bad (even the flower stuff), the worst grind is the weapon materials :argh:
Some drops are shade specific for enemies that spawns 2-3 times on a map.

Finished the game to ending E, every quest and every achievement (except the 15 hours speedrun and all weapons fully upgraded) in about 40ish hours.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Grabbed the Automata world guides. Any chance at all of grimoire Nier getting a translation and English release finally with the Replicant remake?

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
Route B: Oh I'm the rear end in a top hat.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ending E was really cool

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Vince MechMahon posted:

Grabbed the Automata world guides. Any chance at all of grimoire Nier getting a translation and English release finally with the Replicant remake?

They're reprinting Grimoire Nier so a translation isn't out of the question. Probably wouldn't release until next year or so if at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ending E really is Ending E: exactly Ending E as described in Grimoire Nier. I suppose I’m not surprised, it’s a perfectly serviceable one, and I think it’s the ending Automata’s based on anyway. Still, that means I knew how it would go :( I would have loved to see a new, more bizarre direction.