Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

Nice, thanks for asking him. That seems to be the common wisdom, just alignment and fluid needed 'til you get serious. The supercar 3R is supposedly 100tw, but guys get about 4 trackdays out of them at the most, so it might be 100tw like the RE71R is 200tw - numbers don't matter when nobody polices them I guess. I am on a set of the stock Supercar 3 (non-R's) which should be fine for a while.

Edit - did he say what pad he runs?
Yeah, treadwear is bullshit. OEM stock pads.

Also, I should have clarified, he is back on the SC3 and still likes them. He said the SC3R isn't that far off the R7.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, treadwear is bullshit. OEM stock pads.

That's pretty impressive that he is able to use the oem pads at that level of competition.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 22, 2021

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
I took my Fiesta ST to the track and it ruled a lot. Just thought you should know.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Roman Rambo posted:

I took my Fiesta ST to the track and it ruled a lot. Just thought you should know.

:hellyeah:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Roman Rambo posted:

Welcome to your new addiction. Drugs would have been cheaper. :rip:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

KillHour posted:

Welcome to your new addiction. Drugs would have been cheaper. :rip:

I try not to think about my life if I hadn't done a track day.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Same, but I also haven't come up with something to replace the void created by quitting

yay, I save a lot more money but then what

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
There's always motorcycles or karting. Which cost...less...depending...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Diametunim posted:

There's always motorcycles or karting. Which cost...less...depending...

Broken bones can be pretty expensive.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I quit tracking motorcycles after:
Highsiding a 2007 GSXR750 at Arizona Motorsports Park and ending up with my first concussion
Lowsiding a 2004 R6 at Thunderhill Raceway during a goon trackday

Figured that was enough for me and bought a S2000.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motorcycles are cheaper to replace than a car but a car is cheaper to replace than your skull.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Signed up for Road Atlanta with Jzilla in June with a bunch of friends and people from the local area, taking the locost which should be sketchy as hell on the back straight.

Probably going to sign up for a test day at Carolina Motorsport Park or open lapping at Talledega Gran Prix in a couple months with the FF1600.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Same, but I also haven't come up with something to replace the void created by quitting

yay, I save a lot more money but then what

Agreed. I'd need something with an adrenaline rush but that all seems to scale where the less expensive it is the more dangerous it gets.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Is cart racing the most cost effective and easiest way to do wheel to wheel?

I should see if one can fit in my transit connect

I could use it for solo too :thunk:

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

KillHour posted:

Broken bones can be pretty expensive.

Aint that the truth, and one of the main things that keeps me from going back to racing MX again. I broke enough bones as a kid when it was free. Don't want to repeat the cycle now that I'm the one footing the bill.

Theres an easy solution though, don't run out of talent.

BlackMK4 posted:

I quit tracking motorcycles after:
Highsiding a 2007 GSXR750 at Arizona Motorsports Park and ending up with my first concussion
Lowsiding a 2004 R6 at Thunderhill Raceway during a goon trackday

Figured that was enough for me and bought a S2000.

Oof. Sorry to hear that. Head injuries are no joke. Do you still ride in any capacity?

Virgil Vox posted:

I'm fairly certain the answer is yes? You can pick up an Lo206 cart fairly cheaply and I think one or two sets of tires will last you a full season of racing. The motors are designed to be bulletproof as well. Lo206 is an incredibly popular class at any track AFAIK.

If you want to dip your toes in, your local kart track may have a rental racing league. In Austin COTA Karting has a league night every week, and our K1 speed has one a month as well.

id love to get to the point where im doing W2W In cars but it just looks so bloody expensive. I cry everytime I see someone yard sale a car, and it seems like It happens a lot in W2W, especially with all of the bumping and grinding.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Virgil Vox posted:

Kart, but yes, as long as you're not huge. If you're into technical side of cars that's something karts miss - if you just want to drive, welp.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Diametunim posted:

Oof. Sorry to hear that. Head injuries are no joke. Do you still ride in any capacity?

I don't, I sold my Tuono, R6, and YZ450F about five years ago and haven't twisted a throttle since. :unsmith:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I do miss motorcycle track days, my RS125 hasn't been fired up since 2016. I should really sell it to make space and free up funds. It's been even longer since I rode on the street.

Virgil Vox posted:

See what tracks are a reasonable distance and what class they run. Friends son raced karts for a few years and he hauled it in the back of a van, as long as your rear doors are wide enough it will probably fit.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011

Roman Rambo posted:

I'm looking to hopefully take my FiST to an open track day this summer. Mine is completely stock and I've heard there might be heat issues after a few hard laps. Anything I should keep an eye on?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BeRandom posted:

I'm looking to hopefully take my FiST to an open track day this summer. Mine is completely stock and I've heard there might be heat issues after a few hard laps. Anything I should keep an eye on?

The car will put itself in limp mode (no boost, wont rev over 3k) if you break the coolant or oil temp parameters, so you cant really hurt it. If its a really hot day and you cant get through a session without hitting limp mode, try running the heat in the car, closing all the vents besides the side ones and point them out the open windows.

The other thing is to pay attention to brake feel. If the pedal gets squishy feeling, take a cooldown lap or take a break 'til the next session. I would definitely recommend an upgraded brake fluid flush before you go to the track. Have fun! A stock fiST is a fun rear end car on track, you can get it to rotate mid corner by removing throttle and then get it to straighten out again by adding throttle. Very fun little car, I miss mine.

e: check your various boost pipe clamps the day before, they are notorious for slowly working their way off and tracking is the type of driving that will finish the job. The ones on the intercooler were usually the culprit for me.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 31, 2021

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
Thanks!! I will definitely give the engine bay a good once over the day before heading out.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

BeRandom posted:

I have a 2016, tuned with an intercooler. I drove it very hard with no problems. Good fluid and pads is my recommendation. I usually drive advanced group in a BRZ but my fiesta is not that modified, I beat it up hard anyway and I was surprised at how reliable it was. That said, it was a nice day ~70F tops.

The handling in the fiesta is brilliant. I ran ESC all the way off and I didn't have the issues that people talk about with rear brake heat even pushing hard.

To piggyback on what PaintVagrant said, I had to take it easy on brakes. Pedal was getting soft and so I stopped braking as much. Stock pads, small rotors, my fluid was kind of old. After braking less there was no problem.

edit edit: just got my seats in for the BRZ. Lime Rock Park April 10 bois.

https://ibb.co/BGqWSmw

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 2, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I went to a private trackday today and managed to get about two hours of driving time. Finished off both sets of tires I had on wheels (RR/RC1).

Anyway, since my last whining post:
1. Moved from GLoc R12 to GLoc R18 pads up front
2. Moved from 550lb rear springs to 600lb rear springs
3. Corner balanced the car and set the ride height to roughly 4.5" / 4.75"

The car is an absolute joy to drive now, I slowly added some wing angle in the morning to stabilize it in faster corners since it was kinda loose and it just worked perfectly. BE GONE PUSH MACHINE, goddamn, makes me so happy.

Lap times were basically the same as what I ran in 40*f cooler weather with tires that didn't have 25-30HC on them, so I can't complain there.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Amazing what the proper rake will do. The rear was too low, resulting in too much grip there, causing the front to push. You can actually play around with the rear ride height to stabilize things a bit rather than wing angle too, depending on your preference.

Glad to hear its sorted though, way more fun when the car does what you want it to do!

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Badass, very nice. More in car videos please.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
I was at Lime Rock yesterday for the NASA HPDE. I discovered this vehicle, which rules.

https://ibb.co/D8MPNyL

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

NICE NICE

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TrueChaos posted:

Amazing what the proper rake will do. The rear was too low, resulting in too much grip there, causing the front to push. You can actually play around with the rear ride height to stabilize things a bit rather than wing angle too, depending on your preference.

Glad to hear its sorted though, way more fun when the car does what you want it to do!

I'll play around with it a bit, I don't have my own corner balance scales so I can't just mess with it whenever :( The car doesn't seem to have a problem putting power down in low speed corners right now, but I think it is worth trying.

Diametunim posted:

Badass, very nice. More in car videos please.

Alright, I usually hate watching these things back because I see mistakes all over but how else are you going to learn
This was the quickest lap for me, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_PYj7cNQEo, it felt pretty relaxed. First session out with a set of 25+ heatcycle RC1s after cording Toyo RRs. The big mistake at the final corner cost me a 1:46.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I'll play around with it a bit, I don't have my own corner balance scales so I can't just mess with it whenever :( The car doesn't seem to have a problem putting power down in low speed corners right now, but I think it is worth trying.

You can without scales! Count the number of threads below on each side, that's your default. Go in full turns, same on both sides - i.e. two turns down/up - this will keep your cross weights the same, even if the F/R balance changes a bit. Note the amount you changed, and you can just reset it back to perfect corner balance at the end of the day.

Right from Emillo:

"In general, once we have an alignment we like, the only tuning we do at the track is to raise and lower the rear to fine tune. Lower to add rear grip, raise to reduce it. Too low and the suspension will bottom so that's your limiter."

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TrueChaos posted:

You can without scales! Count the number of threads below on each side, that's your default. Go in full turns, same on both sides - i.e. two turns down/up - this will keep your cross weights the same, even if the F/R balance changes a bit. Note the amount you changed, and you can just reset it back to perfect corner balance at the end of the day.

Right from Emillo:

"In general, once we have an alignment we like, the only tuning we do at the track is to raise and lower the rear to fine tune. Lower to add rear grip, raise to reduce it. Too low and the suspension will bottom so that's your limiter."

Good point, not sure what I was thinking with that :lol: I even marked the collars to make it easier. My car was so low before that 'bottom' was tire to body, rather than bump stop.

edit: nevermind, decided to remove the link

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 16, 2021

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

You know they should class not on the modifications to the car themselves but the budget of the build.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

There are classes like that. Lemons, chump car, and the grassroots 2021 challenge iirc are all budget limited.

Looks like chump car switched off the budget limit.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Virgil Vox posted:

You know they should class not on the modifications to the car themselves but the budget of the build.

There's been a lot of ideas like that over the years. In practice it's kind a pain in the rear end to enforce in the sense of, unless you go with arbitrary value of some things (and then we're back to classing by modifications) the cost of stuff can vary significantly.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Does anybody know if NRS ever made a track brake pad? Just bought a used set of Brembos from an 04 STI and they came with some pads that still have quite a bit of life to them, but I was told the brakes were used exclusively on track. The pads definitely had gotten some heat in them at some point.

They say NRS, and the NRS website only lists a street pad, which seems odd for brakes that were only used on track.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There are companies that buy bare backing plates or let you send in old pads and put whatever compound you want on them.

I have a few GLoc compounds for Wilwood Superlite calipers that have NRS backing plates and no marking. They are originally entirely spraypainted the GLoc compound color, but that burns off in a day.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

BlackMK4 posted:

There are companies that buy bare backing plates or let you send in old pads and put whatever compound you want on them.

I have a few GLoc compounds for Wilwood Superlite calipers that have NRS backing plates and no marking. They are originally entirely spraypainted the GLoc compound color, but that burns off in a day.

Interesting, thanks.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Brought the TT RS to the track for the first time, because the organizer no longer allows convertibles without cages :(
  • What a sweetheart. Accessible, stable, high limits. If I were to pick a car for a beginner / casual track day enthusiast looking to achieve fast times with minimal effort, this would be it. I am a heffalump who hasn't done a track day in 5 years and had never been to PIR before, but passed everyone I saw in my run group and did a 1:22 without really pushing
  • On the other hand, if someone was looking to get really good, I'd tell them not to get this. The turbo, DCT, and quattro are too good at covering for your mistakes. I would probably develop many bad habits if I tracked this regularly
  • The engine / transmission combo can hang with almost anything, and will happily drag race a GT350 down the front straight. There was another guy with a brand new GT500 who cracked 150mph+ (no chicane); the TT was close, topping out at 147mph. It feels rock solid at 147mph
  • The suspension feels squidgy on corner entry, which made it hard to fully commit. At least it's better at fast left/right transitions
  • The stability control will tolerate big trail braking to get the car rotated, but is unforgiving of mid-corner bumps and will pull power when you're not expecting it
  • The quattro doesn't really vector to yaw you into corners, but it does help a lot with putting power down. You can get really greedy with the throttle past corner apexes. Exits that are fraught (e.g. turn 12 onto the front straight, where there is zero margin for error in big power RWD cars) become a cakewalk in this car
  • With its 60/40 weight distribution, the TT leans really heavily on its front tires, and they go fast if you don't manage them well. I had to keep an eye on tire temps the whole time. Happily this is much less of a problem on corner exits; you can really feel the quattro distributing power to the back once the fronts get hot
  • The digital dash is glorious. Flashing tach when it's time to upshift. I love being able to see oil temps and tire temps :swoon:
  • The brakes are the weakest link. I would get fade ~10 minutes in despite being gentle (braking early, lots of coasting, etc). Made me miss my Cayman's amazing brakes. I shouldn't have to upgrade to carbon ceramics just to get through a 20m DE session :mad:

Not going to make a habit of tracking this car because that's the Lambo's job, but I have to give Audi credit. It feels like they have pushed their transverse engine architecture to the limit, and that limit is pretty drat impressive

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just want to say PIR is a great, underrated track. The blink kink on the main straight is terrifying.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KillHour posted:

I just want to say PIR is a great, underrated track. The blink kink on the main straight is terrifying.

I'm assuming that both of you mean Portland by PIR in which case I completely agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I meant Pittsburgh.