Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

VelociBacon posted:

I had a right-hand-drive JDM subaru STI and I can tell you your experience with Buslab is very much in keeping with 80% of any of these small very specific scene shops, unfortunately. Cool van!

Do those 2.2L engines not adjust idle based on load?
Well, that's still the weird unanswered question. According to Buslab, there's a wire in the harness that should detect when the AC turns on, which should send a signal to the ECU to kick the idle up.

They had me do tests on the pins in the harness (note: I am colorblind and bad at electrical things, but I followed their instructions and sent photos), which is how they came to the conclusion, "Oh, those pins/wires aren't correct in the block." I would think that having an experienced person (i.e., not me) switch the pins/wires around in the block would be a better solution than swapping the entire harness, but that's what Buslab said to do. But the replacement harness also does not raise the idle with the AC on.

So... should it? Can it? I still don't really know. Now it idles just around 900-950 rpm which isn't the worst thing but it seems like a silly workaround.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

rope kid posted:

Well, that's still the weird unanswered question. According to Buslab, there's a wire in the harness that should detect when the AC turns on, which should send a signal to the ECU to kick the idle up.

They had me do tests on the pins in the harness (note: I am colorblind and bad at electrical things, but I followed their instructions and sent photos), which is how they came to the conclusion, "Oh, those pins/wires aren't correct in the block." I would think that having an experienced person (i.e., not me) switch the pins/wires around in the block would be a better solution than swapping the entire harness, but that's what Buslab said to do. But the replacement harness also does not raise the idle with the AC on.

So... should it? Can it? I still don't really know. Now it idles just around 900-950 rpm which isn't the worst thing but it seems like a silly workaround.

It's really hard to say without knowing more about their solutions there. Is it running the stock subaru ECU? If so you should ask about this in the subaru thread where they're familiar with the normal behavior of a 2.2L engine.

To my knowledge, engines should detect the load and adjust the idle without having to know what the source of the increased load is.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Murgos posted:

I had my first 'Do not like' experience with Audi pre-sense.

I was on a road that has a pretty good curve to the left and a car ahead of me was pulling off to the right to make a turn at an area where the shoulder really widens out. At no time was my car in proximity to the other car nor heading towards it. Like, yes if I had decided to also turn right at the speed I was going we would have needed some quick breaking but I was well into veering left by then.

My car freaked out, binged and tapped the breaks for like half a second and then let it go like nothing had happened. I get that it was an odd corner case and 'better safe than sorry' but still pretty annoying.
Yeah that's happened to me a couple of times on a sweeping curve too.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Audi pre sense has, multiple times now for no apparent reason, slammed on the brakes while I was reversing out of a parking spot. Both times were oh poo poo moments where I thought I somehow slammed into an unseen obstacle in a totally clear lot. I’m not super in love with it.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah my Nissan Rogue slammed on the brakes twice admittedly with a car in front of me but like far in advance of when it needed too since I was already poised to begin braking. The same system in the VW has never actually tried to wrest control away but has screamed an alarm a time or two when someone jumped on the brakes right in front of me as I was moving my foot off the accelerator.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Well, I'm going to sell my 1 year old VW Sportwagen to carvana. Shift offered me $19,400 a little while ago which seemed crazy enough, but Carvana is offering $21,250 which is like $250 less than what I paid for it new. Decided to take some photos before I pull the mods off it in order to part it out so I can remember it the way I had it set up. I have its replacement already, a faster but much heavier Mercedes wagon - the VW interior is classic but doesn't really compare. The handling and transmission on the VW are just head and shoulders above though and I'm going to miss them for sure. Thanks pandemic for the money but I almost wish these crazy car deal online offers hadn't been happening since I'd probably have kept it for another year or two at least if so. Alas!

If anyone has one of these, the frameless mirror upgrade was actually probably my favorite mod, made such a huge diff for night driving and it looks extremely good. The BEC headlights are def #2 though they are expensive as hell.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

It is really slick and sad to see it go, but wowza carvana really coming around, they were not anywhere near competitive to the shift offer for my car, but maybe it’s changing weekly. Congrats on the upgrade!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, the offer from them for my Golf is pretty tempting, but we’ll see what I do. Probably would use the cash to get a GTI, so it would be in keeping with the AI spirit.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

There's a company called Venture Libre! that makes storage doo-dads for Vanagons, buses, and Mercedes Sprinters. They have had this sweet tool organizer for the dead space at the back of a Westy Vanagon but it's made of leather and I generally try to avoid leather products -- but now they have a canvas version that's the same price, so I went for it.

https://www.venturelibre.com/#/

Installation was really simple, took maybe an hour using a punch, hammer, and a screwdriver. I'm using it for a mix of bicycle and car tools. Since ditching the Wasserboxer for an NA Subaru 2.2L, I haven't had many engine problems (knock on wood) but it will be nice to have tools handy.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

flightless greeb posted:

Well, I'm going to sell my 1 year old VW Sportwagen to carvana. Shift offered me $19,400 a little while ago which seemed crazy enough, but Carvana is offering $21,250 which is like $250 less than what I paid for it new. Decided to take some photos before I pull the mods off it in order to part it out so I can remember it the way I had it set up. I have its replacement already, a faster but much heavier Mercedes wagon - the VW interior is classic but doesn't really compare. The handling and transmission on the VW are just head and shoulders above though and I'm going to miss them for sure. Thanks pandemic for the money but I almost wish these crazy car deal online offers hadn't been happening since I'd probably have kept it for another year or two at least if so. Alas!

If anyone has one of these, the frameless mirror upgrade was actually probably my favorite mod, made such a huge diff for night driving and it looks extremely good. The BEC headlights are def #2 though they are expensive as hell.

I've been eyeballing a GSW lately. Love the wheels, what are they?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

rope kid posted:

There's a company called Venture Libre! that makes storage doo-dads for Vanagons, buses, and Mercedes Sprinters. They have had this sweet tool organizer for the dead space at the back of a Westy Vanagon but it's made of leather and I generally try to avoid leather products -- but now they have a canvas version that's the same price, so I went for it.

https://www.venturelibre.com/#/

Installation was really simple, took maybe an hour using a punch, hammer, and a screwdriver. I'm using it for a mix of bicycle and car tools. Since ditching the Wasserboxer for an NA Subaru 2.2L, I haven't had many engine problems (knock on wood) but it will be nice to have tools handy.

That looks awesome and I'd like something like that for my house!

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

User Error posted:

I've been eyeballing a GSW lately. Love the wheels, what are they?

Thanks all! The wheels are Motegi MR131 Traklites - I had a local shop order them thru tirerack and they had to send one back because it was out of round from the factory which was a bit annoying, but it all got worked out in the end.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Dang it Greeb. I'm going to be buying a new car soon and this post made me go look for a new Sportwagen, leading to my disappointment when I found out 2019 was the last model year.

I have a deposit in on an ID.4 but might just get another GTI.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Tyro posted:

I have a deposit in on an ID.4 but might just get another GTI.

Was somewhat interested in the ID.4 but this review was a bit damning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EotuxCptcM4

Would probably wait for teething problems to be worked out.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I’m really sad the GSW is dead. I really wanted one and I think it was the last station wagon available with a stick in the US.

My mk5 Rabbit is still humming along fine, it’s kinda hard to believe it’s a 13 year old car. I’m going to replace the headliner and put a CarPlay head unit in it this summer and continue driving it, I might even ship it to CA if I move there.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah it's very annoying that VW killed it and the All track. Small bright side, the '18-'19 model years come with fully transferable 6 year warranties which is neat. And honestly as much as I love manuals I bought mine with the DSG after test driving both bc the dual clutch was able to take advantage of the power a lot better than I could with my little feet :(

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

flightless greeb posted:

Yeah it's very annoying that VW killed it and the All track.
Wasn't the problem, as usual, that no one bought them? I've seen a few Audi Allroads but almost no Sportwagens or Alltracks.

I really considered getting an Alltrack but it was hard to justify since I still love my Mk. IV R32 and I have my van for hauling things and camping.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

rope kid posted:

Wasn't the problem, as usual, that no one bought them? I've seen a few Audi Allroads but almost no Sportwagens or Alltracks.

I really considered getting an Alltrack but it was hard to justify since I still love my Mk. IV R32 and I have my van for hauling things and camping.

There are quite a lot of used ones out there, at least around me, not sure if this is true but Jason Cammisa claimed in his podcast that the sportwagen outsold the base variant golf. Which isn’t the best bar considering the mk8 golf isn’t coming here either :/

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

GSWs and Alltracks are/were incredibly popular in the PNW, there are tons of them everywhere. 3 on my block alone. Sad to see VW kill them off in North America :(

But we are weird here. Driving anything but a Subaru makes you stand out.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 2, 2021

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

TheBacon posted:

Which isn’t the best bar considering the mk8 golf isn’t coming here either :/

what

hasn't every variant of the Golf ever been released in the US market? are we that allergic to hatchbacks?

to be fair driving around Chicago my car feels tiny. everyone has trucks and crossovers now.

At least the Compact Car Only spots are almost always open when I need them and I don't find myself making multiple-point turns navigating parking garages and alleys

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 2, 2021

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

minivanmegafun posted:

what

hasn't every variant of the Golf ever been released in the US market? are we that allergic to hatchbacks?

to be fair driving around Chicago my car feels tiny. everyone has trucks and crossovers now.

At least the Compact Car Only spots are almost always open when I need them and I don't find myself making multiple-point turns navigating parking garages and alleys

I guess so: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/usa/volkswagen-will-no-longer-sell-golf-america

:-/

Not totally digging the MK8 either, so this is all kind of a blow for me.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I thought we were only getting the mk8 GTI? Y'all plebes should have bought more poverty spec MK7s.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

If the poverty spec mk5 wasn’t so well built I might have!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I bought one and convinced my brother to do the same. Maybe my next car is a plane ride out of this hatchback hating hellsccape.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

User Error posted:

I thought we were only getting the mk8 GTI? Y'all plebes should have bought more poverty spec MK7s.

As far as I'm aware, just the mk8 GTI and R are coming to the US.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

minivanmegafun posted:

what

If I were being pedantic there have been some weird variants we never got but that was like whatever off road version or whatever.

We didn’t get the GTI for like 8 years after it came out, but thats like 40-50 years ago at this point heh.

User Error posted:

Yep, it’s an unfortunate thing. More people need to buy the new cars that *I* like, so that companies will keep making them and I can buy them used in 3-6 years.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Styles Bitchley posted:

Was somewhat interested in the ID.4 but this review was a bit damning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EotuxCptcM4

Would probably wait for teething problems to be worked out.

Yeah I'm still going to test drive it, but I am leaning towards getting something else at this point.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

TheBacon posted:

If I were being pedantic there have been some weird variants we never got but that was like whatever off road version or whatever.

We didn’t get the GTI for like 8 years after it came out, but thats like 40-50 years ago at this point heh.

The Golf Plus (later known as the Golf Sportsvan) also never made it over to the US, but that's really no surprise since it's basically like a European grandpa Golf that existed for a couple of generations before VW decided to stop making it. They call it a compact minivan but really it was just an uglier Golf with a higher roof, bigger trunk and other small changes, like a different interior and rear seats that move and recline. They ended up reusing the interior and large parts of it wholesale in the first gen Tiguan.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Speaking of Tiguan, that’s apparently what canabalized a lot of JSW/GSW sales in the US, I guess not really surprisingly. One of the points in the podcast I was listening to was how the leasing deals made it like 30% cheaper to have a Tiguan over a GSW so ya kind of shooting themselves in the foot on that one.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I'm sad that the Arteon R wagon(or the sedan really) isn't coming to the US. I don't think the Arteon sells that well here so it's understandable but maaaaan I really want it.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

GabbiLB posted:

I'm sad that the Arteon R wagon(or the sedan really) isn't coming to the US. I don't think the Arteon sells that well here so it's understandable but maaaaan I really want it.

I don't think the Arteon sells well anywhere. I don't really get what the point of that car is. You don't get any new tech or features or better engines over a Passat, but you do get to pay a lot extra for some questionable styling choices. If they offered it with some Audi engines on an Audi platform like the old B5 Passat was then sure, I could see it, but it's just regular old MQB and the same basic selection of four-pot VW engines they offer on every car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

VelociBacon posted:

(Crossposting to the AI help thread also)

Okay so I have a 2007 GTI, intermittent P0100 code (MAF circuit malfunction). Car drives normally and then sometimes has a tiny stutter on throttle and the light will turn on. This happens once every 2-3 weeks and sometimes the CEL will turn itself off without me clearing it, then will show up later on. I figured this was a loose connection or intermittent connection.

Previously Surburban Dad posted this reply:

I got around to this today, using Torque graphed the following while I drove around my block (2nd and 3rd gear and not hitting peak boost):

At idle:

That data looks really normal to me but I'd be curious if anyone thinks otherwise. It was probably in closed loop still as the engine wasn't to temperature.

There's that spot on the mk5 GTIs where the MAF loom is kinked 90 deg to a clip on the air tube that feeds turbo sound into the firewall. There have been reports of a wire failing in that area because of the awkward kink. I left the engine running and pulled the loom out of the clip there and manipulated it every which way while watching live data from the MAF and nothing unusual happened. I grabbed the harness plug (onto the MAF from the loom) and wiggled it around, pulled at each wire, twisted stuff about, again nothing unusual on the live graph.

Any idea for next place to look? I'm reluctant to take the MAF out to hit it with sensor cleaner after seeing what looks like very normal readings. I don't see any area where unmetered air could be entering the intake tract after the MAF.

VelociBacon posted:

I also posted this in the AI stupid question thread but does this look like a damaged/failing MAF to anyone?

If the wires or a connection was failing wouldn't it show 0 g/s not a super high reading?

e: My preference is to always go OEM with something like a MAF but it's over 3x the cost of the third party ones. Anyone have anything to say about these other brands for MAF?

Sorry I don't read this thread much since I sold my GTI sometime back. Still could be the wire or the sensor but if you're wiggling it and not getting any response, then hopefully not wiring. Take one more log with the MAF and disconnect the plug at the sensor and see what the reading does. It'll either peg high like you saw on your log, or go low. If it's the same as what you saw in the log, then hopefully replacing the sensor will take care of it. If you already got the new sensor, did it fix it?

Hitachi and Conti makes MAFs for another OEM which will not be named :ssh: so they're probably good choices. I imagine most of the German stuff is Bosch (but maybe not anymore after dieselgate?) but I'm not up on them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Sorry I don't read this thread much since I sold my GTI sometime back. Still could be the wire or the sensor but if you're wiggling it and not getting any response, then hopefully not wiring. Take one more log with the MAF and disconnect the plug at the sensor and see what the reading does. It'll either peg high like you saw on your log, or go low. If it's the same as what you saw in the log, then hopefully replacing the sensor will take care of it. If you already got the new sensor, did it fix it?

Hitachi and Conti makes MAFs for another OEM which will not be named :ssh: so they're probably good choices. I imagine most of the German stuff is Bosch (but maybe not anymore after dieselgate?) but I'm not up on them.

I replaced the sensor and the CEL came back a few days later. Going to head to my dad's garage this set off and really take a good look at the wiring because I can't imagine what else it could be at this point. Thanks for the reply!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
man now i'm debating about how much money I can get for the Alltrack even though the smart move would be to sell the M5

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ruflux posted:

I don't think the Arteon sells well anywhere. I don't really get what the point of that car is. You don't get any new tech or features or better engines over a Passat, but you do get to pay a lot extra for some questionable styling choices. If they offered it with some Audi engines on an Audi platform like the old B5 Passat was then sure, I could see it, but it's just regular old MQB and the same basic selection of four-pot VW engines they offer on every car.

The way I heard it was that the Arteon was that it was sharing a ton of components with the A7 so much so that its basically an underpowered, deliberately down-styled A7 for a $30k discount. I don't know how true this is but the youtubers who did drive it generally liked it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Dealer dropped of a new Q3 while they took my car in for service.

Other than the engine I kind of like it? Reminds me of my GTI but with a bigger interior and a taller stance. The infotainment looks like it's the top half of the new A6/7 models and it helps that the HVAC controls all have physical knobs.

The stereo on this one is the base model B&O and it's fine but makes me appreciate how good the upgraded version in my car is. The upgraded stereo (not even the +$3500 one) is a pleasure to listen to with high bit rate audio files. This is just 'good' and it probably doesn't help that I spent a couple of hours on the road yesterday jamming out to tunes in mine.

Position of the cupholders and charging tray are better than my car though.

But man, that engine/transmission. Kind of a deal breaker for me. I'm sure I could get used to it but straining up to 40 mph is not what I expect out of Audi's.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 3, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Decided to pull the loom completely off and reinspect the wiring and found this:

I live in an apartment with no underground parking with outlets or anything so I actually just went to a gas station and kinda hid around the corner to solder replacement wires.

Thankfully nobody making minimum wage gives a poo poo enough to come harass me about using their outlet to solder something and it worked fine. I have since replaced the original sensor and if the code doesn't come back in a week or so I'm going to return the delphi replacement.

Hopefully this saga is over.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Decided to pull the loom completely off and reinspect the wiring and found this:

I live in an apartment with no underground parking with outlets or anything so I actually just went to a gas station and kinda hid around the corner to solder replacement wires.

Thankfully nobody making minimum wage gives a poo poo enough to come harass me about using their outlet to solder something and it worked fine. I have since replaced the original sensor and if the code doesn't come back in a week or so I'm going to return the delphi replacement.

Furtively soldering wires around the corner at the gas station -- love it. Epitome of the VAG ownership experience?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

VelociBacon posted:

Nice! Also :lol: at the gas station repair job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

movax posted:

Furtively soldering wires around the corner at the gas station -- love it. Epitome of the VAG ownership experience?

yup that was me after work in the parking lot at the end of a 50' extension cord, rewiring the throttle body connector on a 09 CC