Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

There is also the fact that all of this is abstracted away, so you don't have to answer tricky questions like "how are the bullets getting from this ammo bin in the left leg to the guns in both the left and right arms?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Because BT units weren't designed to be optimal. Mech design has been a solved question since 1991, but the game is more about making do with what you have as it comes apart, not building the perfect min-maxed unit and assuming everyone will be really impressed you thought to combine Gauss rifles with PPCs.

Yeah, it's why a challenge I like to do is actually sticking with stock configurations. Actual BT it's supposed to be difficult-to-impossible to switch loadouts like this anyway. I remember reading something a while ago, don't remember where, about Solaris mechs that swap out the guns even a little bit and it throws the mech's weight balance off and makes it much harder to control. I do agree that removing the customization would remove a huge amount of the fun of a game like this, so I don't think it's a bad decision to make every mech an omnimech, but it really does make BT way easier.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Unbalancing a mech when you change the number of tons or crits in a section is a possible result. It's less likely the better tech crew you have and the better facilities you have available. The construction rules where you can move stuff around however are for designing and building a whole unit from scratch, not remodeling an existing one.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
It's part of why Omnimechs were such a huge deal. That they could field swap weapons and have a viable Mech, rather than sending the 'Mech in for refurbishment was such a huge game-changer that the IS's collective minds were blown at the possibilities. Then they spend Blake-knows how many C-Bills trying to steal/develop the tech for themselves. And even then with Omnis, there were certain 'preferred' configurations that required less work to pull off than Custom Build #435738.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

So what you're saying is we should've made PTN do a Stock Mechs only run?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

berryjon posted:

And even then with Omnis, there were certain 'preferred' configurations that required less work to pull off than Custom Build #435738.

Yeah, if you do custom work someone still has to figure out where to run all the cables, feeds and poo poo. If you use a standard config, someone's already done that.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah, if you do custom work someone still has to figure out where to run all the cables, feeds and poo poo. If you use a standard config, someone's already done that.

Also some practical concerns. As much as I love Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries for letting me strip down most of the armor off an Adder and mount 2 LB-X/20s on it, I'm pretty sure that thing would be blown clear to space after alpha-striking with those.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
You also have to contend with a lot of Design By Committee as well when it comes to Battlemech designs, as well as dealing with Military procurement and a bunch of generals who have no idea exactly what they want from a Battlemech, rampant corruption that comes from all this, contracts from suppliers to not modified the design, etc. There's a reason why most 'Mechs are stock. 99% of the time when you do end up modifying a design, it's out of sheer necessity and not because This Week On Pimp My Ride...

Most successful modifications that come out of the Houses are either attempts to field new weapons by modding an old design instead of build an entirely new chassis, or popular field refits created because 'gently caress, we got no PPCs/AC/Missile Launchers to replace the one you just ruined and we need this 'Mech back in the field before the enemy marches over and cringlefucks us. gently caress it, lets mount X instead.'

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Having a requirement to build mechs weight balanced would be fun, especially if you accounted for arm distance from the centre of mass. So many things would fall over.

Probably best to stick to the basic plan of "don't think about it too hard".

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

goatface posted:

Probably best to stick to the basic plan of "don't think about it too hard".

Yeah, I said before I don't disagree with their decision to make everything interchangeable like it is. That's been a hallmark going back to the Mechwarrior series. Half the gameplay loop is based on customizing and upgrading mechs, and the whole strategic layer of the game wouldn't be anywhere near as deep without it. And I can forgive a lot of lore weirdness if it means I can make a Spider designed to jump behind heavy mechs and literally kick them in the rear end until they explode.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

You mean we shouldn't mod our Timber Wolves to have 4 PPCs like in the Mechwarrior 2 intro?!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's probably an issue with the attempted early unlock of the Hatchetman. Since that's caused problems, I'll remove it and reup tomorrow right away.

Files are updated. That should fix everything Hatchetman-related. I also fixed a typo in the AT&T Suite that let the game see it but wouldn't let it be equipped.

FYI I played through the flashpoint yesterday and it went as usual, so the fix worked.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aces High posted:

You mean we shouldn't mod our Timber Wolves to have 4 PPCs like in the Mechwarrior 2 intro?!

I mean if you want to be loving boring

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Let the Mech3 intro be your guiding star.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Get ready Lance Leader. They're coming.

... Oh, man.

MW3's intro had the Summoner's arms on backwards.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Get ready Lance Leader. They're coming.

... Oh, man.

MW3's intro had the Summoner's arms on backwards.

That wasn't an error, Everyone just REALLY hated that particular pilot and wanted him to suffer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They built his mech wrong on purpose, as a joke

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Maybe it was a Clan Batchall thing. Like before the battle that pilot declared that he would go into battle with a mech that was all hosed up to increase the honor he'd get if he won.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

RBA Starblade posted:

They built his mech wrong on purpose, as a joke

My mech is cored, making me the victor.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Not Important posted:

Literally true for the Timberwolf.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Literally true for the Timberwolf.

And I thought Mechwarrior didn't have the Stackpole explosions until MW4.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Not Important posted:

joke's on you; i actually love being DFA'd by three perfect lances. and my mouth isn't filled with bloodm, it's victory wine

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Always nice to get caught up again.

In the update before the most recent one, you said the SLDF Phoenix Hawk is one of the best mechs in the game - what makes it so good? I assume it has an XL engine and Endo, but what gives it an edge over other SLDF designs in the game like the Griffin?

Also mission 48 is listed as no commentary but it has a delightful commentary. Would hate for anyone to miss out on it because they're skipping the ones you don't narrate.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

i'm not that far in so i might be wrong, but I think its an ecm carrier too?

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

aniviron posted:

Always nice to get caught up again.

In the update before the most recent one, you said the SLDF Phoenix Hawk is one of the best mechs in the game - what makes it so good? I assume it has an XL engine and Endo, but what gives it an edge over other SLDF designs in the game like the Griffin?

Also mission 48 is listed as no commentary but it has a delightful commentary. Would hate for anyone to miss out on it because they're skipping the ones you don't narrate.

Massive weight savings that the SDLF Griffin also has, a BUNCH of energy and support weapon hard points, 2x heatsink capability from the outset due to DHS in the engine, and it's signature vectored thrust turns the SDLF Phawk into one of THE best Energy Boats, and the one that is easily the most agile. The Phoenix Hawk becomes one of the best backstabbers, and is easily a solid replacement for the Super Dodgey Tanking Firestarter once you slap in the +hit defense gyro. It may only get a +1 instead of a +3 hit defense mod since it's a Medium Mech, but it makes up for that by being able to jump with impunity in all but the hottest of environments.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Pixie hawks get a stock equipment (that counts as jumpjets) that boosts jump and damage after jumping

DHS added to that means the pixie can just jump forever while spamming lasers, you don't need to spend a lot of weight on medium lasers and their er and pulse versions, but you get a drat lot of damage out of it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
BattleTech: Restoration Campaign – Episode 9: I Spoiled This Ages Ago

Mission 50: Liberation: Smithon (Story, Commentary)

Rewards: 1,843,200 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 1 CDA-3C Cicada part, 1 FS9-H Firestarter part (‘Mech complete), 2 GRF-1N Griffin parts (‘Mech complete), 1 LCT-1V Locust part

...My Lord Karosas. My forces have just liberated your system from Directorate control. At this time yesterday afternoon, I was waging war on your behalf.
As your liege lady, I require your loyalty and the aid of your technologists. And I expect you to provide it.
What you "require" means nothing to me. For the last three years, your uncle has squeezed House Karosas for its labor. His Directorate conscripted my House Guard, looted my treasury, took my children... all because I kept loyal to House Arano.
And where were you while your sworn allies were under attack? While your people were being slaughtered?! You were hiding on the damned Frontier.
I saw your little broadcast from Weldry. By your own admission, you left us to die!
She was biding her time, Lord Karosas. There's a difference.
I didn't request your opinion, mercenary. Until I do, I'd advise you to keep your mouth shut.
We understand the hardships that you have suffered, sir. But from this point forward, you will show me the respect that I am due.
Your own son was released from captivity by my hand. I fought and bled to set him free.
You saved my Otto, yes. But he isn't the man I remember anymore. The prison administrators on Weldry did something to his mind.
And my daughter, Lina...
She supported you, you know. Even after you abandoned us to our fate, she refused to break faith with you.
She sang your praises to all who would listen... until the Directorate made an example of her.
Lina was barely twenty years old when she died in your name. My fealty to your cause died with her. And so, if you want my help, you will compensate me for it.
You have a job for my technologists, and I have a job for your mercenaries. We'll trade service for service, or you'll leave here with nothing.
...I'm so sorry, Lord Karosas. I didn't know.
As a member of the Founding Council of the Aurigan Coalition, you're entitled to my help—and you shall have it. My mercenaries will assist you with whatever you need, and I will oversee the task personally. You have my word.
Go on, then. To Anvelt, this planet's first moon. There's a ship, the Newgrange, that needs to be dealt with... my people will send you the details.
Now please... go. Leave me to attend to my son.

They had more than munitions down there, Commander. There's a warehouse full of busted up Dragons. I'm not going to tell you that the Dragon's a good 'Mech, but it's big and can carry a lot of guns. If you bring 'em on board, I'll get 'em working. Look in the shop for them.
Nah.
This is much more interesting.

Understood, Lady Arano. Let's get into the specifics of this job he's given us.
I seem to remember something about a DropShip?
She's called the Newgrange. She's a transport vessel, ostensibly civilian, named for an old line of Yardships.
The Newgrange has been certified for commercial flight in the Directorate, the Capellan Confederation, and the Taurian Concordat. In all other ways, she's completely unremarkable... at least, that's what her official paperwork says.
Uh-huh. And what's the real story?
The Newgrange is running weapons into the Aurigan Reach to supply the Directorate's war effort. Her crew has been using an old commercial port on Anvelt to fuel up between trips.
Ships like this one could help to explain the Directorate's unexpected strength of arms. It's in our interest to destroy it.
According to the intel we've been given, the Newgrange is carrying more armor than any Union-class DropShip has any right to. Attacking her directly will be a waste of time.
Thankfully, Lord Madeira has found us an alternative approach.
Oh, good. I was wondering if I’d get to commit a war crime today.

It was a joke. Probably.

The Anvelt fueling station was designed for civilian use. It isn't a hardened target, and its components can't withstand a sustained attack.
If we go in while the Newgrange is refueling and blow the station's primary fuel reservoir, her armor won't count for much. The resulting explosion will smash her like an egg.
You're sure that Lord Karosas is telling the truth? It'd be a disaster if we took out a civilian DropShip.
From my own study of the Newgrange and the situation on Anvelt, I am convinced that Lord Karosas is telling us the truth.
There's something deeply suspicious about this ship. She isn't the commercial transport she pretends to be.
Vague assurances aren't enough. Lady Arano, I need to know that there aren't any innocent people on that ship.
I'm no more eager for unnecessary bloodshed than you are, Five Aces. I hope that you know me well enough to recognize that.
If we can raise the Newgrange on the comms, I will offer her captain a chance to surrender. I'd rather take prisoners than fill graves... the Reach has seen too much death already.
It sounds like a workable plan. Let's move forward.
Hang on a second, Boss. If this job were as easy as blowing up a fuel tank, Karosas would've done it himself already.
So what's the catch? I mean, why send us after such an easy target?
Lord Karosas sent the last remnants of his personal guard after the Newgrange two weeks ago. A lance of hardened MechWarriors.
They were summarily destroyed—a complete loss. There were no survivors.
Sounds like an unusually heavy security detail for a smuggling operation.
It's bizarre, I agree. But we have only Lord Karosas's word to go on, and he didn't personally witness what happened.
We should approach this drop with an abundance Of caution. Bring the strongest lance you can field, and keep your eyes open while you're on the moon's surface. And I'd recommend bringing a heat-efficient lance, if possible—Anvelt's atmosphere and climate will quickly overwhelm your heat sinks if you're not careful.
No time like the present. I'll assemble my team.
And I'll be with you on the comms. Good hunting, Five Aces.
Just so long as you don’t Kool-aid man through any more walls I’ll be happy.

Mission 51: Served Cold (Story, Commentary, the Youtube Thumbnail for this one is fantastic)

Rewards: 2,032,800 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 1 CPLT-K2 Catapult part, 1 DRG-1N Dragon part, 1 SHD-2H Shadow Hawk part, 1 WVR-6R Wolverine part (‘Mech Completed), 1 COM-2D Commando part

Gloat all you like, cousin. Your victory will be short-lived.
Your pathetic little army may have carried you this far, but if you think that you can challenge the core systems, you're sadly mistaken. Our glorious army will grind your Restoration to a bloody pulp.
Save me the lecture and tell me what you were doing on Anvelt.
Your father rules the Directorate. You should be in a tower somewhere, not on a dusty little moon guarding a smuggling ship.
"Smuggling ship." Is that what Karosas thought the Newgrange was? Is that what he told you?
Oh, you poor, dear fool. I would tell you what you've just done, but I don't want to spoil the surprise. You'll find out for yourself soon enough.
[Origin: Betrayed] If Karosas deliberately misled us about this, I'll have his head.
Worry about it later, Five Aces. For now, I would have words with my cousin.
Victoria, I loved you like a sister. And you betrayed me. Your father held a knife to my back, and you helped him push it in. I need to understand why.
For power.
If you'd ever really listened to him, you'd already know.
He tried to teach you, cousin. To set you on the path to strength and prosperity. But you spat on his efforts and forced his hand—and mine along with it!
Forced your hand?! Mastiff is dead because of you! Our mentor, the man who taught you to pilot a 'Mech—you put him in a camp and left him to rot!
Thousands of Aurigan dead lie piled at your feet!
The price of strength, and our nation's future.
For the glory Of the Reach, I'd pay it a hundred times over.
You seem to be confusing wanton cruelty for strength. They aren't the same thing.
The destruction of your lance should have taught you that.
Little Lord Madeira. Still my cousin's favorite pet, I see... I wonder if that pretty jaw of yours is as fragile as it looks.
One Of these days, we'll have to find out.
After what you did to Raju Montgomery, I should have you vented into space.
I'll admit, it's tempting. But I believe that our teacher would prefer me to keep her caged.
Do you hear me, Victoria? You can watch from the sidelines as I dismantle your father's empire and reclaim my rightful throne. And then, when the war is over, you will be tried for your crimes against the Aurigan people.
Is that supposed to scare me, Kamea? It doesn't. Do you think my father hasn't planned for this? Did you think that you were winning?!
My capture means nothing! The jaws of our trap are already closing around your neck. You're just too blind to see it!
You talk like a cartoon villain. Has anyone ever told you that?
You mock me at your peril, mercenary. My father bends everyone to his will—the Periphery nations, the Successor States... everyone! You don't know what I've done for our people, the sacrifices I've had to make... you understand nothing, and you never will!
You've already lost this war, cousin! You'll die screaming, and your Restoration will die with you!
You first.

What do you want us to do with her, Lady Arano?
The Argo isn't a prison—she can't stay here.
No. She can't.
Lord Karosas lost a daughter to the Directorate, and we weren't there to help him. I can't undo that wrong, but I can give him justice. We will transfer Lady Victoria into his custody, to be held until I say otherwise.
Your call, Lady Arano. We'll set a course for Smithon when we're ready.
Conversation's over, people. Let's get back to work.

Lady Arano. My staff has taken Lady Espinosa into custody; she is being escorted to her cell as we speak.
A kinder fate than she deserves, perhaps... but I will adhere to the terms of our arrangement. While she remains in my custody, she will not be harmed.
You are an honorable man, Lord Karosas. One day, I hope to earn your support.
You already have it. What you've done today feels like justice, Lady Arano. Of a kind I never thought I'd live to see.
I owe you a debt of thanks as well, Commander Fiveaces. You did a yeoman's job on the Newgrange—she will never darken our skies again.
Lady Victoria claims that you were wrong, Lord Karosas. That the Newgrange wasn't a smuggling ship.
Of course she does. She's a liar and a betrayer.
You can't trust her at her word, Commander Fiveaces.
[Origin: Betrayed] Believe me, Lord Karosas, I get that. I understand betrayal better than most.
The thing of it is: she’s too arrogant to be a good liar.
That said: even if Lady Victoria was telling the truth, would it really change anything? Whatever the ship's provenance, the Newgrange was important enough that Director Espinosa had his own daughter standing sentry over her refueling site.
You sent the Newgrange to hell, and deprived Espinosa of something he deemed valuable. I count that as a win, Commander Fiveaces.
If I were you, I'd make sure to keep an armed guard outside Victoria's cell at all times. She'll be dangerous, even in captivity.
Don't worry, Commander. I know who I'm dealing with—
I’m not convinced you do. I’m not convinced any of you do.
—and the appropriate precautions have been taken.
Lady Victoria will be quite secure until Lady Arano is ready to reclaim her.
Glad to be of service. Now let's discuss what you'll be doing for us in return.

More than a mystery to me, Lord Karosas. My father believed that the Argo held something of great value, but he died before he could see it.
I need to know what's on that drive. And you're the only one in the Reach who can open it for me.
Better, perhaps, that I give you the means to open it yourself.
I will have a device sent to your ship. An electronic codebreaker of advanced design. Given enough time, it'll chew through any encryption—even yours.
[Ancestry: Deep Periphery] With respect, I'm surprised that a Periphery lord even has access to such a device.
I was just as surprised when I received it. High Lord Tamati himself delivered it to me.
He told me that it had been discovered in the possession of a ComStar Precentor who had died in Aurigan space. What she was doing with it, I will never know.

You’re all loving idiots.
What I do know is that your father would want you to have this, Kamea.
He'd be quite proud Of the leader you've become.
Thank you, Lord Karosas—Simon. It means more to me than I can say.
Speaking of proud fathers, do you have any news to share about your son? Has his condition improved since last we spoke?
Somewhat, my lady. Otto's road to recovery will be long and difficult. The Directorate did something to his mind on Weldry... I still don't have a clear picture of what. But the damage is both physical and mental.
In truth, I fear that my boy has been damaged irreparably, and that the Otto I knew is gone. But I cling to the hope that someday, the son that I remember will return to me.
He will, Simon—I know it. Otto is young and strong, and House Karosas is nothing if not resilient.
I'm afraid that I must take my leave of you now—I have forces to marshal and plans to make. But please keep me apprised of Otto's condition.
I will, my lady. Farewell to you, and know that you have earned the support of House Karosas.
What you've done today doesn't erase the past... but perhaps we can still right the course Of our people's future. For my part, I am willing to try.
Thank you, Lord Karosas—and welcome to the Restoration.
Together, we will fix what my uncle has broken. I swear it.
Hey, Commander, I've put the code-breaking device that we got from Lord Karosas to work on our mystery archive. And now I'm watching a progress bar climb… reallllly slowly. I’ll give you a heads-up when it's finished.

Mission 52: Thorn in the Side (Assassination, No Commentary)

Rewards: 314,212 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 1 PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk part (‘Mech completed), 2 VL-5T Vulcan parts (‘Mech completed), 1 SHD-2H Shadow Hawk part

No, I was thinking we’d just sit on it for a while. You know, really savor the mystery.
Ha-ha, Boss. It's good to see you in a joking mood.
Open the damned files, Doc. We've waited long enough.
Huh. Well, it looks like a map archive. Which is about what you'd expect on a navigation computer—no surprises there.
I'm seeing a lot of Periphery territories... the Outworlds Alliance, the Rim Worlds Republic, the Oberon Confederation. But, hello... what's this?

… Is that a map of Castles Brian?!
This isn't a civilian map—it's SLDF.
Look at the symbols—refueling stations, no-fly zones, even military installations. All laid out and annotated, complete with identifier codes where applicable. And it looks like we have more of them.
You're talking, but all I can hear is the sound of C-Bills dropping into our bank account.
We aren't selling this, Commander. A map like this is a huge boon for the Restoration.
If even one of the military bases outlined on that thing turns out to be intact, we could be sitting on a treasure trove of Star League technology.
Sure, until the White Ghosts show up and take it from you.
Yeah, we could... and if that doesn’t scare you, your head's in the wrong place.
I shouldn't have to tell you what the Great Houses would do to get their hands on something like this. And even if they don't, bad things happen to people who mess around with LosTech. I've heard stories—
The White Ghosts. Mysterious marauders painted stark white who don’t communicate and never leave survivors.
… Almost never.

Hang on a second—I've got something. An SLDF Outpost Castle. The designation reads "Nautilus."
It's on Artru, deep inside Directorate space—right on the edge of the Taurian border. On the map, it's in a no-fly zone, marked strictly off-limits to civilian craft.
Nothing like that has ever been discovered on Artru. Trust me, I grew up there... I'd know.
This could be a huge find. The SLDF built Outpost Castles to keep Periphery worlds in line, and they stocked them accordingly. That means LosTech, and lots of it.
There could even be an intact memory core for us to discover.
Who cares about memory cores? If there's really an Outpost Castle out there on Artru, that means BattleMechs—the rarest, most expensive 'Mechs you could ever imagine. Oh, and weapons, Boss... weapons the likes of which you have never seen.
You ever heard of a Gauss Rifle? From what I've read, those babies could punch a hole clean through an assault 'Mech without breaking a sweat. And Pulse Lasers—the kind that could slag a mountain of armor in the blink of an eye.
Just like the ones on the Marauder.
Yes. Just like those.

If what you've just said is true... if an intact Star League—era armory is waiting for us on Artru... then this could change everything. We could punch through the Directorate's defenses in spite of their unexpected strength. With an SLDF arsenal at our disposal, there would be nothing we couldn't do.
We must pursue this, Commander Fiveaces. Lady Arano will say the same.
[Ancestry. Deep Periphery] My ancestors traveled to the Deep Periphery in search of the unknown. I won't refuse to take a chance they'd have leapt at.
Lord Madeira... Commander... please. Chasing LosTech is a Bad Idea—capital B, capital l. If our friends and neighbors don't kill us to take it, someone will push the wrong button and blow us all up.
Again, I have stories—
Let me be abundantly clear. If there is an Star League—era Castle waiting on Artru, we will claim what's inside. Not out of avarice, but out of necessity.
Advancing on the Directorate's core systems with our existing army would be like marching headlong into an abattoir. We could succeed, yes, but our losses would be devastatingly high... as would yours. So we will follow this lead—superstitions be damned.
Let’s do it. I’ve always wanted to go on a treasure hunt.
Very good. I'll contact Lady Arano—she'll need time to prepare the recovery effort.
Carry on with your business, Commander. Take contracts, fight, and grow stronger. Soon enough, we will all venture into the unknown.
I’ll turn the lot o’ ye into proper pie-rates yet, yar-har!
But, first things first, things have come to a head with the Taurians.
Sumire, before they decide to mark us kill-on-site, chart a course for New Vandenburg!
… Ok, I’ll bite. Why?
Research.

PTN’s note: New Vandenburg is one of only two advanced research planets that isn’t located inside one of the Great Houses. Both of those research planets are in Taurian space; but one of them is pretty far out of the way. Now, we can’t enter the territory of any House except the Aurigan Coalition, but for some reason we can enter Taurian space after blowing up the Newgrange. :tinfoil:

Finished the ‘Mechbay expansion!
Great. It’s about time we installed a wet bar.

Yang! Minor upgrades to the Grasshopper’s lasers!
And break that Assassin out of storage, it’s time for the old high-tech pirate standby!

Lounge is done!
Beta pod!

Finally!

PTN’s note: Advanced Research Worlds can spawn any of the Equipment Equalizers, and I do mean any. There are a few that can only appear on Advanced Research Worlds. We’re mostly here to get advanced Jump Jets for the Spider, buuuuuut…

:getin:

PTN’s note: Unfortunately, they don’t have the Vectored Jets (S) I really want, so we’re going to need to bounce and come back. I take out my frustration on some Taurians before I leave.

Mission 53: An Eye for an Eye (Assassination, No Commentary)

Rewards: 313,320 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 1 BJ-1DB Blackjack part (‘Mech complete), 1 JVN-10N Javelin part (‘Mech complete), 1 WHM-6R part

Your actions against our interests are earning you a powerful enemy, Commander. Continue to impede Taurian operations in this region, and you will pay the cost.
Sorry, can’t hear you over the sound of exploding Taurian BattleMechs!

Yang!

Dump the Assassin back in storage!
… Boss?
I just had an idea!
Oh. Oh no.

:hmmyes:
I’ll tweak this after a little experimenting.

Work on the Beta Pod is complete!

drat, nothing of interest. Back to New Vandenburg!

Automation is done!

Library’s done!

Aha!

Did you just spend half our money?!
drat straight!

Mission 54: Hostile Territory (Battle, No Commentary)

Rewards: 907,830 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 1 CDA-2A Cicada part, 1 ON1-K Orion part (‘Mech complete), 1 WHM-6R part, 1 Arm Mod (+10 Melee Stability Damage)

I have finalized the details of our trip to Artru, Commander Fiveaces; with luck, the map Dr. Murad discovered will lead us straight to Castle Nautilus. The contract is ready for review in the Command Center.
Later, I have a little more screwing around to do.
Upgrade the Marauder’s cockpit monitors, get the special jump jets into the Spider and some laser reflective armor for good measure, upgrade the Daboku’s LRMs, and slip the Component Targeting Computer into the Dragon. I’ll probably trade the Jump Jets for Heat Sinks later, I’m just not sure how hot this is going to run.

Four days for all of this? Sold. Time to run the clock and test this poo poo out!

Mission 55: Titan Attack (Defend Base, Commentary)

Rewards: 459,480 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 3 NSR-9J Nightstar Parts (‘Mech Complete), 1 TDR-5SS Thunderbolt Part (‘Mech Complete), 1 WVR-6R Wolverine part, 1 SRM-6++

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
It's me, Poptarts. I'm the jerk who couldn't get past that mission and took a large amount of delight watching you school it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The hard part's getting past it without overextending while trying to chase down the optional objectives.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Remind me why the Dragon is bad and also why do we hate the Taurians?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
MVP OPFOR: Locust in mission one that survived multiple rounds of shooting from you somehow :patriot:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Remind me why the Dragon is bad
It's a low-end heavy with an oversized engine, which means: it's as fast as the Shadow Hawk (which isn't particularly fast) but has less usable space. It also acts in a later initiative phase (phase 3 vs phase 2) so Medium 'Mechs tend to school it. Because of its low usable space it has to choose Armor or Firepower because it can't do both, and its (very) limited hardpoints (1 ballistic, 1 missile, 2 energy, 2 support) mean even if you do make the hilariously bad decision to try to boost its firepower you'll lose that firepower the instant a real heavy 'Mech decides to pay attention to it.

The Dragon does have a few usable advantages. It punches pretty hard (due to its chassis boost, the Shadow Hawk punches nearly as hard). It can mount a little more armor than the Shadow Hawk (about a ton more), and... that's it. It's just a fast 60 tonner with nothing going for it (which is a problem all 60 tonners will have until XL engines are introduced in 3050).

The Rifleman is the only 60 tonner that doesn't totally suck, because it's got a smaller engine.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

why do we hate the Taurians?
They turn up as a punching bag faction a lot in this part of the periphery because we're so close to their space. If we were closer to the Magistracy, the Magistracy would be our designated victims instead.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Holy gently caress, that was one amazing shot. :D

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Now and forever.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Regulus is always right, the Taurians are always wrong.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Seraphic Neoman posted:

To borrow from Tex of the Black Pants Legion, it's because they're the folk who say "hippity, hoppity, get off of my property," and back it up with nuclear weapons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why didn't the SLDF blow up their own caches when they hosed off? Weren't they explicitly trying to take their firepower out of the hands of the successor states?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Because the SLDF wanted a backup plan, and those facilities were not under Kerensky's immediate control. They were placed as a backup contingency in case the local security troops needed 'Mechs now, and were left unmanned with automated systems handling maintenance as needed.

They could have been destroyed quite easily by crews on site; but Kerensky wasn't about to risk sending out troops to do that when there was a good chance those troops would go rogue and play warlord. He needed to get as many of them as possible out of the Inner Sphere right the gently caress now before too many of them realized how stupid that idea was.

There wasn't a way to remotely destroy Brian Caches (supply dumps) and Castles Brian (the SLDF's secret super-fortresses) because a remote self destruct would've been an exploitable security flaw so huge the SLDF could've driven an Enterprise-class SuperCarrier through it and even they weren't that stupid.

The Enterprise-class Carrier was a boondoggle that couldn't generate enough thrust to move itself. In space. It wasn't even a "can't move fast enough to be anything more than a defensive tool," they couldn't get it to move at all so the SLDF somehow designed and built a WarShip with engines that produced thrust and counter-thrust simultaneously and in equal amounts and they couldn't figure out how to fix it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 7, 2021

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Mission 50: Liberation: Smithon

They must have made that mission alot easier. When I played it, they spawned an ammo truck Every turn until the end of the mission.

Mission 51: Served Cold
You can get the entire mech, and headshotting her I think requires her to be on the ground. Alternatively you can just knock her over until she stops getting up with stability damage weapons. I believe she has a unique K2 catapult variant. I like K2 catapaults for PPC stuff.

You could have probably instakilled many of the mechs with a precision strike to the CT with the grasshopper every other turn.

Mission 52: Thorn in the Side

The music makes me think of crab rave but with only the crabs clacking their claws.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5raasdhT88&t=306s

Also I see you didn't check if the leader had any special equipment worth looting, sometimes they have defensive gyros or something.

Mission 53 - An Eye for an Eye
Maybe switch to using the grasshopper for headshotting attempts? that many lasers it's almost guaranteed that someone's head pops off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SugarAddict posted:

They must have made that mission alot easier. When I played it, they spawned an ammo truck Every turn until the end of the mission.

I actually think the mission bugged out there. The second MCV didn't spawn in the same place the first one did, which... isn't the way spawns usually work. I was expecting more which was why I was moving the Grasshopper over to replace the Spider.

The Grasshopper has an 18% chance for cockpit hits, which means statistically it needs two turns to headcap since it needs between 2 and 4 hits with its current armament (2 +damage medium lasers or 3 medium lasers that don't have the damage buff or any combination of medium and small lasers). It would perform about as well as our current Marauder with its nerfed 31% hit rate. I mostly go for headshots when the Marauder's overheating and Glitch can only fire a single weapon.

I'm intentionally using a sub-optimal Marauder (and sub-optimal Marauder variant) to keep from crushing the OpForce too badly. :shobon:

I mean, I could be using an Annihilator for this instead of an Orion.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 7, 2021