Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

stillvisions posted:

Their special fake Italian is all a tax dodge - an overseas company in the Netherlands owns the trademark to all of those terms, and every time you buy a Venti Frappucino a licensing fee is paid to said company, which happens to be in a country that has a preferred rate for IP earnings.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-starbucks-tax-idUKBRE89E0EX20121015 talks about it a bit.

That's especially funny when people in social media comment sections will defend the weird names harder than Elon Musk stans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I take it you never saw that Powerpuff Girls episode where they go to the future and HIM has taken over.

Doesn't really ring a bell. But it has been about a decade since I was watching it so I have long since forgotten about most episodes of the original show aside from the glue monster, the musical, and Mojo Jojo having a crush on what turned out to be a literal monkey.

Schwarzwald posted:

None of the Cartoon Network shows were afraid to get gross at times. The Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Lab might have been more tame than some, but both had some grody episodes, especially early on.

Oh no I'm well aware. At first I was going to say that I was objecting based on art style but it's not even that. If you wanted to go for freaky cartoons on CN I would've picked Courage the Cowardly Dog, Generator Rex or Billy and Mandy first. Or cursed shows that I can't forget no matter how much time accelerates like The Cramp Twins or The Problem Solverz.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Cow and Chicken and I Am Weasel were another pair.

Aside from the 90s Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon shows, and the 00s amateur Newground cartoons, the other big progenitor has got to be The Nightmare Before Christmas. (As the HOLIDAZE short Dapper_Swindler makes perfectly clear.)

And, of course, the place where all of those things come together ... was the merchandise sold at Hot Topic and Spencer's Gifts.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Todd in the Shadows barely comes in through the last days of April with a new Trainwreckords:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrXR4cLJ01M

I'm kind of surprised that it took me until this video to realise that for most people, they only know Human League through "Don't You Want Me".

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

CelticPredator posted:

That one and this are my favorites of all time because of Vasquez. I don’t know why he never did more live action. He brings his energy to it just as he does his comics and animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0AX81gv5aM

holy poo poo i never knew he directed that one

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Day9 decided to play his historic(all available cards are legal to use) Tibalt's Trickery jank deck for fun, and DansGaming raided him, prompting him to do a breakdown for those unfamiliar with Magic The Gathering to understand the concept of the deck, basic rules of the game and cards involved, etc. it's great how he works his repeated losses into the bit. :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c20aaWqn7uw&hd=1&t=2972s

I love the way he describes things. "I feel like this is when wrestling didn't have weight classes, where some 300lb monster could waltz into the ring and beat up a 10-year-old" "it feels like slam-dunking on a small dog, it's unnecessarily over the top"

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 1, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I got recommended this video about 100%ing Balan Wonderworld and wow is this game just a deep rabbit hole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhulaUqpWPQ

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Augus posted:

I got recommended this video about 100%ing Balan Wonderworld and wow is this game just a deep rabbit hole.

seconding this. its facinating how close this game could have been to good if they had a better dev and actuall put the story in the game.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Augus posted:

The more I see about this game the more my heart breaks, because there's theoretically a really good game under here! They just made the wrong choice every time they needed to implement a mechanic, left all of the actually engaging story off of the table, and smothered the rest under quicktime events. A lot of quicktime events.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Pachylad posted:

I'm kind of surprised that it took me until this video to realise that for most people, they only know Human League through "Don't You Want Me".

I always figured it'd be (Keep Feeling) Fascination, if there was one specific Human League song that the average person would know.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Bee posted:

The more I see about this game the more my heart breaks, because there's theoretically a really good game under here! They just made the wrong choice every time they needed to implement a mechanic, left all of the actually engaging story off of the table, and smothered the rest under quicktime events. A lot of quicktime events.

yeah its sad.

if you want to feel real bad. look at what activision did.

they basically GUTTED Toys for Bob and cancelled a bunch of its projects so it could be used to help rush the next cod out the door.

https://twitter.com/ToysForBob/status/1387854364157509634

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
Youtubez I like. Maybe there some I am missing, or some you might want to try!

Big Joel
BlackPantsLegion
José
RedLetterMedia
Baldermort's Guide to Warhammer
Todd in the Shadows
Quinton Reviews
Tasting History with Max Miller
Sarah Z
Jenny Nicholson
Lindsay Ellis
STRANGE ÆONS
Kruggsmash
Folding Ideas
The Spiffing Brit
Shaun
Civvie 11
Patrick (H) Willems
GoodBadFlicks
Sgt Ducky
zanny
Super Eyepatch Wolf
PushingUpRoses
Xacred [1990s Iron Chef]
Action Button
Fredrik Knudsen

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
A VERY brief video explaining Tap Troupe in Rhythm Heaven by Patricia Taxxon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0b6KerADr8

There's another Rhythm Heaven music theory piece by her hidden in the Iceburg explanation video she links. It's at 1:45:42 for those curious. It's pretty neat seeing music theory being applied to rhythm games

theGrooseofLegend fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 1, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I replayed Spyro 1 and 2 Reignited the other week and lamented that some of the most passionate designers work out there under Activision, the absolute pit of greed. Then the news came in.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Sankara posted:

Worthikids is one of the most talented people on Youtube, wow!

The Yajima/Zoga shippers are going to go nuts over this episode.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HMS Beagle posted:

The Yajima/Zoga shippers are going to go nuts over this episode.

okay but for real, this is an eight minute short where by the end you have a completely concrete idea of who Yajima, Zoga, and Genius are and what their dynamics are

even past the incredibly craft in the animation, it's a remarkably well produced skit absolutely on par with the better cartoon network pilots

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

okay but for real, this is an eight minute short where by the end you have a completely concrete idea of who Yajima, Zoga, and Genius are and what their dynamics are

even past the incredibly craft in the animation, it's a remarkably well produced skit absolutely on par with the better cartoon network pilots

I would love to find out the mystery of that jerk on the motorcycle!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Augus posted:

Balan is such a weird bad game because there is actually so much effort in places that very few players would see or notice. Everything about the secret costume that actually gives you air options and turns the game into a NIGHTS clone is :psyduck: . I wonder if it would have been better received if it actually was a tap-to-jump phone game, but Genshin Impact came out and was a "real" game on mobile so maybe not.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Neo_Crimson posted:

this gimmick is still bad but A for effort

only honest poster in ADTRW

edit: This is RGD??? LOL

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Schwarzwald posted:

I can already imagine the absurd fandom that would have existed in the 70's, where everyone is passing around bootleg VHSs because Season 2 only aired once before the parent company got bought by Toei and press-ganged into making more Ikkyuu-san episodes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Augus posted:

So basically Balan Company poured an absurd amount of time, effort, and heart into crafting a setting and story but then when the time came to actually make a game out if it, Square handed it off to some third party shovelware studio that was way in over their head and churned out a lovely product. Oh and Yuji Naka decided not to include any of the actually kinda cool story in the game itself because that would mean dialogue of which he wanted none so the story would be "universal" (this is what language options are for Yuji :shepface:) so the game makes no loving sense unless you buy and read the book.

Definitely feel bad for the creative staff behind the project, it seems like they really did make something that could have been special but it's translation into an actual video game was just botched in every way possible.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah that concept art is just gorgeous. Naoto Ohshima is brilliant and it’s a real shame seeing his work going to waste like this.

Speaking of which, ThorHighHeels just put out his own video on the game too. Seems like everyone and their mother is making a Balan video right now lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEOoTXrVZRA

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I replayed Spyro 1 and 2 Reignited the other week and lamented that some of the most passionate designers work out there under Activision, the absolute pit of greed. Then the news came in.

All the big publishers suck even the ones I like but holy gently caress activision is the loving worst one by a mile in some respects. Also I think a lot of the art folks got fired.

Sydin posted:

So basically Balan Company poured an absurd amount of time, effort, and heart into crafting a setting and story but then when the time came to actually make a game out if it, Square handed it off to some third party shovelware studio that was way in over their head and churned out a lovely product. Oh and Yuji Naka decided not to include any of the actually kinda cool story in the game itself because that would mean dialogue of which he wanted none so the story would be "universal" (this is what language options are for Yuji :shepface:) so the game makes no loving sense unless you buy and read the book.

Definitely feel bad for the creative staff behind the project, it seems like they really did make something that could have been special but it's translation into an actual video game was just botched in every way possible.

Yeah it’s clearly part of squares fault because they don’t know how publish poo poo but it sounds like yuji huffed too many of his own farts.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sydin posted:

Oh and Yuji Naka decided not to include any of the actually kinda cool story in the game itself because that would mean dialogue of which he wanted none so the story would be "universal" (this is what language options are for Yuji :shepface:) so the game makes no loving sense unless you buy and read the book.

Balan clearly has a ton of problems but I'm skeptical that "this platformer just doesn't have enough dialog" is one of them.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
The biggest and most obvious fix they could have done was do away with this "1-button platformer" stuff and given you a dedicated jump button.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Neo_Crimson posted:

The biggest and most obvious fix they could have done was do away with this "1-button platformer" stuff and given you a dedicated jump button.

Yeah I don't get the 1 button thing, it's not a loving mobile game.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Schwarzwald posted:

Balan clearly has a ton of problems but I'm skeptical that "this platformer just doesn't have enough dialog" is one of them.

The plot as it stands is downright incomprehensible, and the characters in the novel all have fairly simple, complex hooks. We don't need MEGA MAN, MEGA MAN levels of constant gameplay introduction, but the random animal dance-offs could've easily just had a little bit more of a look into what everyone's deal is. Especially, you know, the main villain, who gets absolutely gently caress-all to work with despite the book having a shitton about it all.

Like, IMO all you'd need is one prologue level, maybe the main character's "stage", which serves as explanations as to what Lance and Balan's deals are, and then like 3-4 lines of dialogue to just give each boss some closure after their fights.

The gameplay changes could be harder. I wonder if tying each costume to a button, so your 3 costumes + your regular jump button each could be accessed on the fly, would do the trick? But that might break some of the level design. I dunno, the game feels weirdly fixable for such an utter disaster.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Toys for bob is historically one of the most important houses in the industry, given how influential Star Control II was. Sad way to go.:smithfrog:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I swear every year now Activision announces bigger and bigger profits and then layoffs the next week.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone else feel like it's just a matter of time until Corridor becomes the next ScrewAttack/ChannelAwesome/BonAppetit? Their thing used to be high concept VFX but in the last few years it feels like they've been drifting steadily towards that lofty (and very cursed) position of the social interactions of the workplace itself becoming the content.

The typical warning flags in my eye would be:

1. Rapid expansion
2. Dominantly white employee on-camera presence
3. The no conflict zone i.e "look what a fun and wacky workplace we are"

Anyone else get the vibe?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

bobjr posted:

I swear every year now Activision announces bigger and bigger profits and then layoffs the next week.

Capitalism is brain poison, you're literally pushed to expect infinite growth forever with this poo poo, which suffice to say, does not work in reality, SO SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG WITH THE PRODUCT!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I can’t believe annual Call of Duty is still going a decade later. With free-to-play games offering years of support, you’d think either people would dump the series or Activision would pivot to a more lucrative pipeline. But no: a new $60 game every year, and people keep buying them. And DLC that will be irrelevant in a year? Like do these games even maintain an audience after November rolls around with the newest version?

Surprised they don’t just slap a year on it like Madden.

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah its sad.

if you want to feel real bad. look at what activision did.

they basically GUTTED Toys for Bob and cancelled a bunch of its projects so it could be used to help rush the next cod out the door.

https://twitter.com/ToysForBob/status/1387854364157509634

Toys for Bobby Kotick.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Star Control II had a frightening degree of influence on my developing child mind. Only Alpha Centauri and MST3K come close. Probably Simpsons too.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

I can’t believe annual Call of Duty is still going a decade later. With free-to-play games offering years of support, you’d think either people would dump the series or Activision would pivot to a more lucrative pipeline. But no: a new $60 game every year, and people keep buying them. And DLC that will be irrelevant in a year? Like do these games even maintain an audience after November rolls around with the newest version?

It's got a simple gameplay loop that works extremely well in multiplayer. I picked up one of the new CoDs after not playing since MW2 and it was really surprising how easy it was for me to jump back in like nothing happened. I think its the gameplay and how the tweaks and changes aren't really noticeable is what keeps the normies coming back to the game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Pants Donkey posted:

People like new things more than they like updated old things.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Edit: wrong thread. Something weird happened with the awful app.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pants Donkey posted:

Like do these games even maintain an audience after November rolls around with the newest version?
No, of course not. Or, at least not a large one. Sometimes the games survived a bit longer than their exclusive year.

When I was playing usually the audience had collapsed by about mid-year, before they even announced the next one. That was part of why I bought it annually, because if I didn't then I didn't get to continue playing Call of Duty. I guess it worked like a season of Fortnite or whatever - I'd play heavily for three or four months while there was still a mass of players, then I'd lose interest as the amount of people calling me slurs diminished, then have a long enough break for me to get excited about doing it all over again when the next one got announced.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Star Control II had a frightening degree of influence on my developing child mind. Only Alpha Centauri and MST3K come close. Probably Simpsons too.

I imagine the SCII devs are probably about to retire from TFB anyway, even before this got pulled on them. The settlement is finally giving them time to show off their poo poo.

I suspect they're gonna do the real Star Control 3, then retire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhk2gzmU35E

Ya'll, Super Eyepatch Wolf stumbled across something incredible.