Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Definitely the right size! Would these be sturdy enough to hold up in 3D poses, though?

To be more specific I'm planning on using them as basing elements, maybe hung from strings or mounted on clear plastic to make it seem like the model is chasing them, or landing on a Shredder's nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have any resources for mixing paint/shading for blue uniforms? I'm having a lot of trouble

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Printed and painted a dwarf priestess for a D&D for newbies game I'm running

Feminine faces still don't feel super good to me. Just need to practice more, but overall I'm happy with the result!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just got some JSI Insta-Set and it has changed my entire life

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I just got some JSI Insta-Set and it has changed my entire life

Tell me more

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Has anyone tried painting over the McFarlane artist proof figures? I'm wondering what primer to use, like if airbrushing stynlrez is good enough or if an auto primer would be better

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Booyah- posted:

Has anyone tried painting over the McFarlane artist proof figures? I'm wondering what primer to use, like if airbrushing stynlrez is good enough or if an auto primer would be better

I painted mine, Stynlrez worked fine.

The only problem I had was that there are a lot of mold lines which become really obvious after you prime it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah watching review videos it looks like they could be used for priming. They're cheap so it's worth trying out.

I'm strongly considering pulling the trigger on this one for priming and possibly zenithal mostly.

Autolock Upgraded Airbrush Kit with Air Compressor

But I'm wondering if I should just save up for a Badger and an actual air compressor at the end of the day.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Toebone posted:

Tell me more

You put a drop of it on one piece, and a drop of super glue on the other piece, hold them together for literally 3 seconds, and they're rock solid.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

You put a drop of it on one piece, and a drop of super glue on the other piece, hold them together for literally 3 seconds, and they're rock soliddiscover you glued both pieces to your fingers.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
so i made this ghost:

and wasn't quite happy with it, so i added some color:

dang now it sucks. i think in hindsight i should have made the stones alot darker on the first one to make the OSL work better

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I think it's improvement on the model even if it didn't work for the base

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

AndyElusive posted:

I'm strongly considering pulling the trigger on this one for priming and possibly zenithal mostly.

Autolock Upgraded Airbrush Kit with Air Compressor

But I'm wondering if I should just save up for a Badger and an actual air compressor at the end of the day.

89$CAD ?
I thought they were less than half that.
If you've got the space etc, an airbursh kit with compressor isn't much more than that.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Printed and painted this halfling rogue for my D&D group. She's very small, and printed weirdly so the detail on her front isn't super well defined. I repainted her once already but I'm happy with the result. Unfortunately I put a Vallejo matte varnish on her and it slightly tinted her white, so I'm going to hold off on varnishing the other two models in the party.

edit: you can see what I mean when you look at her next to another model.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 30, 2021

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nebalebadingdong posted:

so i made this ghost:

and wasn't quite happy with it, so i added some color:

dang now it sucks. i think in hindsight i should have made the stones alot darker on the first one to make the OSL work better

I dont hate it. It doesnt look like the model is casting light on the base, that is true. But it does look like ectoplasm is coalescing out of the cracks and flowing up to form the ghosts body which is pretty cool in and of itself!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

89$CAD ?
I thought they were less than half that.
If you've got the space etc, an airbursh kit with compressor isn't much more than that.

I know, especially when there's something like this available for $83.99CAD

Gohelper Airbrush kit with Compressor

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games
How do folks keep track of their piles of shame, when they painted particular miniatures, that kind of thing? I've been recording things in a spreadsheet for the last couple of years, and managed to recreate some of the data from the years before then based on dates I wrote on the bottom of bases and receipts in my inbox.

I'd love to hear people's stats, like: what percentage of all the miniatures that you own have you actually painted?

For me it's 34%.

If you're interested, here's a few graphs that I've built from the spreadsheet I keep.

The number of miniatures I painted in each month, adding to the total pile of painted miniatures:

Painted miniatures are now the single largest category, although that would change if I primed everything that is currently raw plastic or metal.

A miniature that I've bought directly from the shops is about twice as likely to get painted as one I picked up cheap from a convention. Old miniatures are those I had from when I last painted about 10 years ago. My tastes clearly haven't changed much because in raw numbers I've painted more of those than any other type.

Last year was the only considerable period where my pile of shame actually shrunk -- although a haul at the thrift shop this month wiped out a fair bit of that progress.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I haven't gotten the foggiest about numbers but I have a google spreadsheet where I keep track of everything I've painted, bought and have in my backlog.
Haven't really tried to make a graph out of the whole thing yet.
So far, from about 2013 and onwards I've painted 185 models. Probably a bunch missing from that since a lot of it was retroactively added to the sheet.
And I've got 178 models listed on my WIP list.
Hell if I know about the percentage of that. v:v:v

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I use Trello to keep track of my painting queue, and it's really nice for seeing a nice list of what you have painted up, complete with pictures if you want to do that. The way I use it it ends up looking like this:

with a new board each year. Color codes for game system, a progress checklist for each project, all that good stuff.

Living in Japan (and thus having very limited storage space) may be a factor, but my painted minis far outweigh my unpainted. My unpainted queue is currently at 30-odd 28mm models and some weapons for titanicus (well, to be fair, also an index-card-sized box of the start of a 6mm ancients project I never intend to finish), and I have cases and cases of painted stuff. I seem to be a very rare thing in this hobby, someone who actually more or less keeps to the "only buy new models when you've painted most of what you've got" lie we all tell.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I am admittedly incredibly bad at keeping myself to that as I'm always on the lookout for new models on auction sites and Facebook market groups. Mostly because I usually only want a single model or such and I don't have the funds to drop on a full box a lot of the time so I try to score as many deals I can.
With relative success.
Not to mention bits for kitbashes and conversions.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
My mom found some Daler Rowney hard body acrylics in her craft closet and remembered that someone gave them to get a while ago even though she doesn't paint. So I now have a small paint set of hard body acrylics. Any tips or tricks with them? Like do you use them with a wet palette and just thin them down heavily while knowing they're still gonna be super opaque?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Sanglorian posted:

How do folks keep track of their piles of shame

:dafuq:

This would be a terrible thing for most hobbyists.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

My mom found some Daler Rowney hard body acrylics in her craft closet and remembered that someone gave them to get a while ago even though she doesn't paint. So I now have a small paint set of hard body acrylics. Any tips or tricks with them? Like do you use them with a wet palette and just thin them down heavily while knowing they're still gonna be super opaque?

Just play around with them like they’re regular acrylics! Or use them like super opaque acrylics. They work both ways.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
I have no visual imagination and must paint.

Can anyone help me make a color scheme work, or tell me what won’t work, for my adeptus custodes?

I’ve got them in bog standard retributor armor + reikland flesh gloss right now but I’m driving myself to anxiety trying to figure out the rest.

Does this blue go with that gold? I want to do the bits that are usually stark red (pauldrons and plume) with it.

Would the metallic be too much?

Also, the weapons. I saw a good video on how to do the energy effect for the standard teal on them. Anyone suggest what base/layer or contrasts or whatever I would use for red? Or if red would look awful, maybe purple?

Apologies for the basic art level questions. I can’t see this stuff in my head, and I’m worried I’ll ruin a model if I just make a go at it and it sucks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verisimilidude posted:

Just play around with them like they’re regular acrylics! Or use them like super opaque acrylics. They work both ways.

Neat that's what I figured. I'll mess around with them soon and see how this windfall works.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Hey this page needs some skeletons to with the D&D party and spooky ghost.

‘Wanderer’ -A humble wandering skeleton merchant. Perhaps you would like to buy some bones?

‘Ambidextrous Warrior’ -A (skeleton) farmer and a (skeleton) warrior.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Saspasia's Muckborn heading to battlefield.

Gf did the green and I am insanely jealous how good they look. I did the purple, all of the weapons and drybushing undercoats. She did the gold bits, especially that bell...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I ride bikes all day posted:

I have no visual imagination and must paint.

Can anyone help me make a color scheme work, or tell me what won’t work, for my adeptus custodes?

I’ve got them in bog standard retributor armor + reikland flesh gloss right now but I’m driving myself to anxiety trying to figure out the rest.

Does this blue go with that gold? I want to do the bits that are usually stark red (pauldrons and plume) with it.

Would the metallic be too much?

Also, the weapons. I saw a good video on how to do the energy effect for the standard teal on them. Anyone suggest what base/layer or contrasts or whatever I would use for red? Or if red would look awful, maybe purple?

Apologies for the basic art level questions. I can’t see this stuff in my head, and I’m worried I’ll ruin a model if I just make a go at it and it sucks.

Blue and gold can work as a pair of colours. Its kinda just metallic blue and yellow, and blue and yellow works on a lot of stuff. There is only one way to know if you'll like that specific blue with that specific gold though; Paint a figure and see how it looks. You can get an idea by painting a piece of sprue or something with the gold, then paint the blue next to it, but you wont really know til its on a figure. But I've never found a paint yet that is capable of "ruining" a model, if you hate it out loud you can always strip the paint back off that one test figure and paint it again, model is still fine. Have you any idea how many models that suck we've all painted in our time? Because it is, I guarantee you, a lot. And none of them were ruined, and no-one came and told us they sucked so badly we werent allowed to paint any more. Part of getting better is trying things that dont work, and either finding a way to make it work ("okay, if I shotgun all the armour with this black wash it'll look grimy but knock that brightness right back and tie the whole thing together a bit") or working out why it didnt work ("These colours together are an eye bleeding nightmare carnival. I'll bear that in mind and not use them as the 2 main colours on a figure in future. Unless I'm painting up a nightmare carnival of course. Anyway, I'll try this with a silver instead of gold next time").

If you are asking before you buy the blue metallic that is slightly different I suppose, but if you like the colour you'll find a use for it eventually even if you get it and it doesnt work for these particular figures, so if the cost of one pot of paint wont break the bank, I say go for it.

Similarly with the energy effect; Without seeing the video I dont know that anyone can tell you exactly how to replicate it but red or purple, but try just following the steps but swapping out the teal colour they used for a bright red (or purple). Did they use a teal-sh contrast paint? Give the same techniques a try with blood angel red contrast (or I dunno, Shyish-purple or whatever). If they used regular paint, use regular paint, but red or orange instead of teal. If they used nihilahk oxide then I'm not sure there will be an exact 1:1 replacement because its a special effect paint and I'm not aware that there is a red equivalent, but give it a go with regular paint and see what it looks like! A blade is a small enough part (and not that detailed) so that if you gently caress it up you can almost certainly just get away with painting it back to your primer colour and having another go without having to strip it.

If you are super worried about it, I'm not that familiar with modern GW kits; Did the models come with extra arm/weapon options on the sprues? They used to be pretty good for that. If so you can always get a spare arm holding a powersword or whatever, prime it and paint in your proposed scheme and see how it looks/practice the energy effect.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Like Squidmar(?) says, It's Just Plastic. If it didn't turn out well, you tried something, you learned, you dunk it in Simple Green (or whatever else) to reset and try again.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Eej posted:

Like Squidmar(?) says, It's Just Plastic. If it didn't turn out well, you tried something, you learned, you dunk it in Simple Green (or whatever else) to reset and try again.

Doncha have to get all the paint off and poo poo?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
That's what the simple green does.

Personally I keep around my models where the paint scheme doesn't quite work so I can have a little record of personal improvement, and also to remember what not to do.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I tried out a glue/baking soda mix for a snow base, let it dry and primed it for painting; but the mixture seems like it's really easy to flake off. Is that a common problem and is there a good way to fix it?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Hey I tried out a glue/baking soda mix for a snow base, let it dry and primed it for painting; but the mixture seems like it's really easy to flake off. Is that a common problem and is there a good way to fix it?

You can put a coat of water and glue over the snow to kind of seal it.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

SiKboy posted:

Blue and gold can work as a pair of colours. Its kinda just metallic blue and yellow, and blue and yellow works on a lot of stuff. There is only one way to know if you'll like that specific blue with that specific gold though; Paint a figure and see how it looks. You can get an idea by painting a piece of sprue or something with the gold, then paint the blue next to it, but you wont really know til its on a figure. But I've never found a paint yet that is capable of "ruining" a model, if you hate it out loud you can always strip the paint back off that one test figure and paint it again, model is still fine. Have you any idea how many models that suck we've all painted in our time? Because it is, I guarantee you, a lot. And none of them were ruined, and no-one came and told us they sucked so badly we werent allowed to paint any more. Part of getting better is trying things that dont work, and either finding a way to make it work ("okay, if I shotgun all the armour with this black wash it'll look grimy but knock that brightness right back and tie the whole thing together a bit") or working out why it didnt work ("These colours together are an eye bleeding nightmare carnival. I'll bear that in mind and not use them as the 2 main colours on a figure in future. Unless I'm painting up a nightmare carnival of course. Anyway, I'll try this with a silver instead of gold next time").

If you are asking before you buy the blue metallic that is slightly different I suppose, but if you like the colour you'll find a use for it eventually even if you get it and it doesnt work for these particular figures, so if the cost of one pot of paint wont break the bank, I say go for it.

Similarly with the energy effect; Without seeing the video I dont know that anyone can tell you exactly how to replicate it but red or purple, but try just following the steps but swapping out the teal colour they used for a bright red (or purple). Did they use a teal-sh contrast paint? Give the same techniques a try with blood angel red contrast (or I dunno, Shyish-purple or whatever). If they used regular paint, use regular paint, but red or orange instead of teal. If they used nihilahk oxide then I'm not sure there will be an exact 1:1 replacement because its a special effect paint and I'm not aware that there is a red equivalent, but give it a go with regular paint and see what it looks like! A blade is a small enough part (and not that detailed) so that if you gently caress it up you can almost certainly just get away with painting it back to your primer colour and having another go without having to strip it.

If you are super worried about it, I'm not that familiar with modern GW kits; Did the models come with extra arm/weapon options on the sprues? They used to be pretty good for that. If so you can always get a spare arm holding a powersword or whatever, prime it and paint in your proposed scheme and see how it looks/practice the energy effect.

Thank you. Got myself all caught in a loop and the anxiety was eating me alive. Didn't even think about using the spare bits as testing beds, which is a fantastic idea. I'll fiddle around with it and try to stay calmer.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

StashAugustine posted:

You need wet water + diluted PVA. Marco Frisoni has a video using it for indestructible bases.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Demilich posted:

You need wet water + diluted PVA. Marco Frisoni has a video using it for indestructible bases.

Hey that video's a great resource, thanks. Do you think it'd be better to add the glue on top of the primer, put a new batch on top of the current one, or try to clear the whole base off?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Do I just boil it into a concentrate?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
poo poo I've been using dry water all this time

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I don't know if I mentioned it here but the art contests at my LGS will give out store credit prizes to the top third of the entries (IE if 12 people enter then the top 4 get it). I only learned about this when I went to pick up paint and they asked if I wanted to use store credit as apparently my mammoth won last time. Pretty loving stoked about that. Also I'm pretty drat stoked because this month's entry also won. There's a lot I could have done differently and better on this guy but my main focus of this was to try to create a scenic base. I'm trying to step outside my boundaries in terms of techniques on each one of these, and I've never worked with foam before or really painted skin before so I'm happy with how I did on those. Next competition I'm going to try NMM, also pick a smaller model to go for quality not quantity.

Photo credit to my LGS:

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
30k xpost ya'll

Major Spag posted:

Blood Angel IXth Legion Assault squad. This is the last five out of a squad of 15.