Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Putting the imaged SD card into the 351v. Instead of repartitioning and all of that the cursor blinked a few times and then just stopped like the process hung or something. Tried a few different times and the furthest I got was that the repartition appeared to happen successfully but again the process just stopped there. 351Elec did it’s whole process without any issues. I’ll come back to it later and try again once the final arkos release is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Got my 351V and man this thing is awesome and feels great to hold. ArkOS is great so far but it definitely tosses you into the deep end and you either sink or swim configuration wise. Had to watch a lot of videos to get a solid grasping of navigating the thing. N64 performance is solid (at least WWF No Mercy and Majora's Mask so far) on ArkOs using the rice emulator which is great and the 4:3 screen looks so drat nice. I've been having a weird issue with GBA games however and I can't seem to get the aspect ratio right for it. If I leave it in 4:3 it looks kind of squished and if I change it to 3:2 (the native aspect ratio) it crops in from the side instead of the top and leaves a vertical rectangle image instead of a horizontal one. Anyone experience this issue in retroarch before? Figured it out! RGA scaling is apparently enabled by default and needs to be disabled.

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 27, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So this was just posted and it could be really good!

https://youtu.be/kHH8oSne6a0

Supposedly gonna launch at $199 but it’s also supposed to be incredibly powerful so it could very well do GC if that video is anything to go by.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That looks awesome but I’m gonna keep holding out for a super powerful 4:3 because I won’t care to emulate anything past systems that support it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

MarcusSA posted:

So this was just posted and it could be really good!

https://youtu.be/kHH8oSne6a0

Supposedly gonna launch at $199 but it’s also supposed to be incredibly powerful so it could very well do GC if that video is anything to go by.

Looks neat but the price sounds too good to be true. Itching to find out the specs, ngl

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Looks neat but the price sounds too good to be true. Itching to find out the specs, ngl

Yeah same.

Genshin is incredibly demanding and even my 12 pro max runs into issues with everything maxed (it’s mostly thermal throttling tbh ).

Could be the mythical handheld that finally does GameCube for a decent price!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

looks promising

at 199 though i’d be interested to see how it compares to a switch lite specs wise

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Just got my RG351V and it's way nicer than I was anticipating! Great screen!

Is there any good reason to switch to another firmware or anything yet, or is what ships with it fine if I just want to play SNES/Genesis games casually?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

frogbs posted:

Is there any good reason to switch to another firmware or anything yet, or is what ships with it fine if I just want to play SNES/Genesis games casually?

I haven't swapped out of laziness, but by all accounts the other firmwares are almost pure upgrades. I've just been playing PS1/SNES/Genesis casually, though, and the stock firmware has been fine for me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

frogbs posted:

I’m sticking to stock for now because I got the UI and settings just right for my use case. The stock loading times are also fine.

If it does what you want I’d just call it good for now and play the games you’ve been itching to play.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Has anyone gotten ScummVM to work on the stock 351V? I can't figure out what folder to use.

edit: The OS card has a scummvm folder but my ROM card doesn't. hmm.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Rolo posted:

Has anyone gotten ScummVM to work on the stock 351V? I can't figure out what folder to use.

edit: The OS card has a scummvm folder but my ROM card doesn't. hmm.

You may need to create .scummvm files to get it to recognize the game.

For example, in your "Day of the Tentacle" folder, create a file "Day of the Tentacle.scummvm" containing the text "tentacle".

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

zzMisc posted:

You may need to create .scummvm files to get it to recognize the game.

For example, in your "Day of the Tentacle" folder, create a file "Day of the Tentacle.scummvm" containing the text "tentacle".

I made some progress but so far my test game, Full Throttle, runs at a jacked up frame rate. Audio is perfect. Might be my rom, I’ll try something different.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My 351p came today, but it’s purple and I ordered the black one :(

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

This morning, from the 351Elec discord:

Cebion posted:

Alright folks! Announcement time!

After long discussions the 351ELEC team decided to
unarchive the project and keep on releasing updates for the 351P/M/V family.
As of today I will take ownership of the project.
We will primarily focus on fixing open bugs at first.

If you have any interest in contributing feel free to visit us in our Discord.

For those keeping track, that's now ArkOS and 351Elec that are both no longer discontinued, alongside TheRA which never was.

What a time to own a rg351.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone know if there’s a way to disable the rumble on boot up on the stock rg351v firmware?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Googling has told me no. It’s lame because my motor was dead the first week I owned mine and now that it isn’t I’m probably going to cut it out. It’s a pretty easy system to disassemble.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I have already run into an issue. I’m not very tech savvy myself, just following guides online. I’m trying to switch everything over to a new sd card, but when I plug my sd card into my computer it says the disk needs to be reformatted? I saw that retro game corps has a video about this issue, but my computer isn’t even showing any partitions, just an empty drive. Any ideas?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

frogbs posted:

Does anyone know if there’s a way to disable the rumble on boot up on the stock rg351v firmware?

There's no way to disable the rumble on boot entirely even using a custom OS. It's one of the main things the devs in the v channel on Discord were grumbling about; that and the weird USB hardware for the controller that doesn't always want to come back after sleep. I believe both TheRA and ArkOS have some fix in place that reduces the time it spends rumbling to just a couple seconds, though. I assume 351Elec as well.

remigious posted:

I have already run into an issue. I’m not very tech savvy myself, just following guides online. I’m trying to switch everything over to a new sd card, but when I plug my sd card into my computer it says the disk needs to be reformatted? I saw that retro game corps has a video about this issue, but my computer isn’t even showing any partitions, just an empty drive. Any ideas?

The cards that come with these things are cheap and Windows is finicky, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was weirdly partitioned or just broken enough for Windows to melt down. If it's booting while in your p, it might be easier to pull your data from that, over wifi with a dongle, or possibly to a USB drive via OTG? I'm not sure if the p stock os has a file manager or supports reading/writing to USB sticks. Alternatively you could try running a raw disk scanning undelete tool on the drive, but that would probably take forever and I wouldn't go that route unless you *really* desperately need to keep that Pokemon save or whatever.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

zzMisc posted:

There's no way to disable the rumble on boot entirely even using a custom OS. It's one of the main things the devs in the v channel on Discord were grumbling about; that and the weird USB hardware for the controller that doesn't always want to come back after sleep. I believe both TheRA and ArkOS have some fix in place that reduces the time it spends rumbling to just a couple seconds, though. I assume 351Elec as well.

Aw dang, that’s a shame. It’s annoying enough that it make me want to look for a different handheld. Do the RG351P or Retroid Pocket 2 rumble on boot too?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The 351P is enough of a screen downgrade that if you picked it solely because it didn’t rumble I’d be like wtf.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Are there any vertically oriented handhelds that have genesis style ABC-XYZ buttons? The closest i've seen is the Powdkidy A19, but reviews are mixed: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb201603_

frogbs fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 3, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

frogbs posted:

Are there any vertically oriented handhelds that have genesis style ABC-XYZ buttons? The closest i've seen is the Powdkidy A19, but reviews are mixed: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb201603_

PiBoy DMG, but its a more costly/hard to get/require a little more fiddling. Though I love the RPI4 powering it for more emulator choices.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
You've started something that cannot be contained, soon all will know of the GAME CHICKEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52lTuozWPYA

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I want the lanyard.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It's giant, and it's orange, but it's no super chicken :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-NzX2iB-Z4

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The United States posted:

It's giant, and it's orange, but it's no super chicken :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-NzX2iB-Z4

Watched this yesterday and it’s a bit overpriced and while the screen is big not a lot of games take advantage of it besides upscaled GBA.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i dunno i might get one. it's the first rk3326 device with dual analogs that can do 2x integer scaling for nes/snes/genesis/ps1. on the other hand it looks kinda chintzy so i might hold out for anbernic to do a metal version

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
The RG552 is coming, apparently. 5 inch screen, new SOC, and it looks like it can handle PSP without breaking a sweat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqk5wXxObdY

Everything else I can find (basically this article) is theoretical and vague, but nice to see a power bump on these things.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
My retroid pocket 2 showed up and it’s pretty sweet. I started a game of Pokémon Gaia immediately without adding my 128 gb sd card and now want to switch to that card. I figured I could just copy the save file wherever it is to my computer, swap cards, find the instructions to format the new card, and then copy it back onto the device, but when I hooked it up to my computer via usb it didn’t show up as an external drive. Any advice on how to switch to this new sd card but also keep this save file? Thanks.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Save files are stored on the internal drive, just switch sd cards and don't worry about it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Does this count as 3rd party

https://www.etsy.com/listing/985717819/dreamcast-portable-43-169-display-read?utm_source=OpenGraph&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share

I wonder how much battery life it has

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

drat that looks portable as hell

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

lmao holy poo poo that price is only a down payment

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://youtu.be/8A-oNhex7OY

He seems pretty keen on it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Declan MacManus posted:

lmao holy poo poo that price is only a down payment

Ahahaha I didn't see that. $825 :stare:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Ahahaha I didn't see that. $825 :stare:

Listen my man I’m not sure how much you expect an artisanal handcrafted Dreamcast to cost but you really can’t put a price on it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

There's was a portable Wii that is similarly priced. You can make one yourself but you have to source a Wii and cut the mainboard so it fits into the shell.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

There's was a portable Wii that is similarly priced. You can make one yourself but you have to source a Wii and cut the mainboard so it fits into the shell.

I think that custom portable ps2 was like $500 as well (maybe more).

Also a new handheld has entered the market

https://youtu.be/5pPzwByK2Ck

Yes it’s expensive but the screen is lol huge.

The device is actually pretty huge and I’m not quite sure it would be super comfortable. It’s also a bit pricy.

I am pretty happy with my Aya Neo pre order even with this thing coming out. The intel iGPUs are getting really good but their drivers leave a lot to be desired. Also the intel power consumption is off the charts which again leaves a lot to be desired in a handheld.

At least with AMD you can change the TDP on the fly and get significantly improved battery life if you are playing low powered games.

With emulation on these things you absolutely have to limit the TDP or the emulator will gobble as much power as it can even if it’s not needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

Where does the sensor bar go?