Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Blitter posted:

I was being rather harsh, it's true:

Masks are incredibly effective (or, they can be..). Many healthcare workers have had nearly daily exposure and have avoided infection for months on end. So I very strongly disagree.

But it's also entirely true that risk removal is >> risk mitigation and I had forgotten that you emphasized that point and the statement on the masks isn't deserving of the harsh comment.

I know I rag on you occasionally in this thread Blitter, but I wanted to say that I think it is very cool that you are so willing to walk things back and apologize when you determine that you were too harsh. All joking aside, that is a rare trait, and one that I strive to emulate. Keep fighting the good fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
When people say "masks work" or "masks don't work" they're usually talking about different aspects of what masks are expected to do and talking at cross purposes.

On a macro level, if a sufficient percentage of a population is regularly wearing some kind of mask that will definitely be a big factor in dragging R0 down, even if they're crappy cloth masks. If the rate of infection was already low it might even be enough on its own to stop an outbreak happening. The fewer people walking around constantly blowing out giant plumes of exhalation, the better everyone will end up.

On the individual level, however, it's not a huge amount of personal protection, especially if people aren't practicing other mitigation techniques such as social distancing etc etc.. If there's not that many people in the population wearing masks the individual level of risk will be even higher.

I've seen a whole bunch of articles talking about people who caught covid "even though they did everything right" which is an incredibly frustrating way for them to phrase it because of course there's going to be people who get infected even though they masked up and socially distanced when possible etc etc etc., that's just the nature of the pandemic. If you go out and walk around in the same places where other people have been exhaling then you're going to be at some risk every time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Masks work in the same way that the virus will go away in the summer.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Platystemon posted:

It’s not a majority, but it is significant.

Reminder that the placebo here is just salt water. It’s incredible how many people psyched themselves out. I’m pretty sure that most people don’t get weekly headaches.

Mandating that employers give three days paid time off for vaccination would go a long way, I think.

I mean if you poll 10,000 people I believe that on a given day 1 in 7 of them might have a headache or be fatigued. I'm fatigued probably 50% of all days. Like without even getting the placebo you're going to have some of these symptoms in this sorta proportion.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Looks like they're not going to bother testing for variants here anymore, they're the majority of cases so now they're just covid now. The original covid is practically wiped out, it's all the UK strain now.

Also holy gently caress, a couple days ago we broke records with 2000 cases confirmed in one day and yesterday they confirmed 2400. We are so hosed.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

Looks like they're not going to bother testing for variants here anymore, they're the majority of cases so now they're just covid now. The original covid is practically wiped out, it's all the UK strain now.

There was an interesting paper (even peer reviewed!) recently showing how within any single infected person there are tons of variants because any fuckups the virus makes in its reproduction that lead to better reproduction within that person will tend to take over within that person. The person's immune system will fight back for a few days and then for a few days the virus may get the upper hand. In most cases if the person isn't immunocompromised the immune system will end up wiping out the virus but in the mean time that person is spewing all kinds of variants all over the place, some of which are already good at escaping from basic immune responses.

The ultimate point is that variants don't matter much and preprints from Brazil and the UK have shown that. The only things that matter are to wear a mask, stay away from other people, and get vaccinated. Where places have had extreme outbreaks they haven't been caused by variants but by people not being careful, either because they are chud idiots or because their governments were run by idiots who didn't make it possible for them to keep food on the table without putting themselves in danger.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

What are you nuts variants matter enormously, the high infectivity of the 'Kent' variant is powering the massive wave happening all across Europe and was the driving force behind the UK's enormous winter wave.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Only remotely positive thing about it is that although it will 100% sweep through the community like wild fire, we know the vaccines work against it.

It cannot be underestimated how hosed unvaccinated communities are if the Kent variant gets in, we had a thing where Londoners fled out of the capital just before Christmas and WHAM the entire country is hit by a massive wave.

All the super spreader events which triggered waves have happened because of rich people; rich people went to a conference in Scotland, the same people went to their god drat horse festival afterwards, and their kids decided it would be torture to stay in the city for Christmas and not have mummy look after them over the holidays in the big house so packed themselves onto trains.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

pairofdimes posted:

Maybe if the coronavirus had a bunch of cool alarms like Sellafield people would take it more seriously. I like the one that sounds like a spooky train is about to hit me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtNgOeqBKQU

I have to imagine if you could actually hear any of these alarms it's probably too late, like if you're in the facility and the criticality alarm goes off you're probably hosed.

Unfortunately they removed most of the 4-minute-warning sirens from the police stations in the 90s and 00s, drat end of history, but I still think they could use fallout warning maroons for local breakouts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgOybc8Jdoo

This would be considerably better than the sent-straight-to-spam-folder email I got from my council telling me the Brazil and SA strains are loose in Whitechapel and Bow and if I live there (they know I don't) I should get tested immediately regardless of symptoms.

learnincurve posted:

Someone had to set all those alarms off to record them.

We have a super loud nuclear attack/asteroid/the world is ending alarm at the water treatment plant near the estate which is periodically tested with no warning to the locals, and jfk the automatic reaction is to run inside and hold on to your kids, first time you hear it there is a 100% loss of all dignity.

Few years back some dickhead thought he was really funny and kept on setting it off and there was a benny hill moment where he ended up running round his car and away from the group of tooled up local lads who wanted a chat - he drove away and never came back and that was the last time the god drat siren went off.

The air raid sirens were also used for flood warnings where I grew up, even for a few years after the Thames Barrier was completed, and they tested them every few months albeit with plenty of warning. Unfortunately one of those tests came a few days after Threads was shown (and they made us watch it at school), and frankly it's not surprising I've been hosed up ever since.

e: To remove accidental racism that I picked up from Twitter

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 2, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

learnincurve posted:

Only remotely positive thing about it is that although it will 100% sweep through the community like wild fire, we know the vaccines work against it.

It cannot be underestimated how hosed unvaccinated communities are if the Kent variant gets in, we had a thing where Londoners fled out of the capital just before Christmas and WHAM the entire country is hit by a massive wave.

All the super spreader events which triggered waves have happened because of rich people; rich people went to a conference in Scotland, the same people went to their god drat horse festival afterwards, and their kids decided it would be torture to stay in the city for Christmas and not have mummy look after them over the holidays in the big house so packed themselves onto trains.

Yeah the B117 "Kent" variant is also the strain that keeps causing infections in Australian hotel quarantine because it sneaks down the corridor into other rooms, and it was also the strain that infected the airport cleaner wearing full PPE in New Zealand

E: whoooooooo lookit storming Denmark

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 2, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That’s the siren in the YouTube video that the cockwomble kept setting off and making me scream weep.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

That’s the siren in the YouTube video that the cockwomble kept setting off and making me scream weep.

Could be worse, could be the Chicago tornado warnings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy_oX6SURRE

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
In the end the Kent variant probably won't be that much of a problem but only because the B.1617 Indian variant seems to out-compete it pretty easily, which is an even worse outcome

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Don’t the Chicago sirens sound like they do because when they came to be bought someone corrupt got a good deal on three different types, so it sounds like a group of 5 year olds playing violins and recorders as loud as possible?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Do we know how the existing vaccinations hold up against the Indian version or is it too soon still?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

Do we know how the existing vaccinations hold up against the Indian version or is it too soon still?

Not as effective but still pretty effective.

https://amp.dw.com/en/vaccines-appear-effective-against-india-covid-variant/a-57344037

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Well that’s one thing at least - the big worry for me would be that it seems to hit all age groups and the U.K. isn’t vaccinating the under 18s.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

learnincurve posted:

Well that’s one thing at least - the big worry for me would be that it seems to hit all age groups and the U.K. isn’t vaccinating the under 18s.

The US isn't vaccinating anyone under 16 yet, and the uptake for the 18-29 demographic is fairly low so far
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccination-demographics-trends

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

Don’t the Chicago sirens sound like they do because when they came to be bought someone corrupt got a good deal on three different types, so it sounds like a group of 5 year olds playing violins and recorders as loud as possible?

Lol that definitely wouldn't surprise me given that it's Chicago, but you could also definitely make a case that conventional sirens don't work brilliantly in an area with so many tall buildings and so much traffic noise, so just buying and using ALL THE SIRENS to make sure that everyone gets the message is probably not that bad an idea.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The US isn't vaccinating anyone under 16 yet, and the uptake for the 18-29 demographic is fairly low so far
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccination-demographics-trends

older groups have had availability longer

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well this is terrifying.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Posting live from the post 1st dose waiting room!

gently caress you Covid you smell of butt

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

quote:

SINGAPORE - The number of Covid-19 cases linked to the Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) cluster has grown to 16 as at Saturday (May 1).

The cluster emerged following the diagnosis on Tuesday (April 27) of a nurse who works in a general ward.

Here's what we know so far about Singapore's first Covid-19 hospital cluster.

A fully-vaccinated nurse from TTSH tested positive for Covid-19 on April 27. The 46-year-old Filipino woman developed a cough, sore throat and body aches, and sought medical treatment at TTSH.

She was deployed at Ward 9D, a general ward.

As at May 1, 16 Covid-19 cases have been linked to the TTSH cluster. Those affected are 10 patients, two doctors, a nurse, a healthcare assistant trainee, a cleaner, and a spouse of a TTSH patient.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/covid-19-cluster-at-tan-tock-seng-hospital-what-we-know-so-far

Singapore has had over 50 new community cases in the past week. Several of the recent cases were detected by rostered routine testing (RRT), not just close contacts of known cases, meaning it’s already spreading undetected.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

holy poo poo

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

When the clowns are coming
But you've also dropped a bucket of LSD

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

very sci fi I dig it

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Greggster posted:

When the clowns are coming
But you've also dropped a bucket of LSD

Yeah, I got a very "sad but deafening slide whistle" vibe from it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inept posted:

older groups have had availability longer

I'm pretty sure that vaxx hesitancy is going to be pretty significant among younger demographics, there's been a LOT of incorrect messaging about how covid is only dangerous to infirm old people and younger people just shrug it off, plus a lot of noise about vaccine side effects.

E: lol, compare Spring Break 2021 to Spring break 2020 and see if you can spot any difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNohbgowbd0

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 3, 2021

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I saw a commercial for an asthma medication and thought if I had asthma it sounded like a good alternative to traditional inhalers and at the end it said "If you cannot afford your medication then AstraZeneca may be able to help" and then I realized this was an AZ drug. This prompted immediate total rejection of it just based on how badly they hosed up their covid vaccine trials, production, and contract obligations

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

E: lol, compare Spring Break 2021 to Spring break 2020 and see if you can spot any difference
The "if I get corona, I get corona" kids are the pandemic equivalent of the "what are you gonna do, stab me?" man.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

HonorableTB posted:

I saw a commercial for an asthma medication and thought if I had asthma it sounded like a good alternative to traditional inhalers and at the end it said "If you cannot afford your medication then AstraZeneca may be able to help" and then I realized this was an AZ drug. This prompted immediate total rejection of it just based on how badly they hosed up their covid vaccine trials, production, and contract obligations

Counterpoint; the U.K. hasn’t had a vaccinated person in hospital for weeks, and they have used the coronavirus research to find a vaccine for malaria

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

LONDON – The latest tranche of data from an array of large-scale COVID-19 studies running in the U.K. provides real-world evidence that vaccines have a dramatic effect in preventing hospitalization and death, but that there are a very small number of vaccine failures.

The data cover 3,842 people who received a vaccine and subsequently were admitted to the hospital between Dec. 8, 2020, when the national vaccination rollout began, and the data cutoff of April 10, 2021.

Just over 70% of vaccinated patients admitted to the hospital had developed their symptoms within 14 days of receiving the vaccine, before they were likely to have mounted a protective immune response.

But 526 of the hospitalized patients had developed their symptoms more than three weeks after being vaccinated, meaning they would be expected to have had immunity to SARS-CoV-2 infection. A total of 113 those patients died.

https://www.bioworld.com/articles/506587-real-world-uk-data-show-small-number-of-covid-19-vaccine-failures

I find it difficult to believe that this just stopped.

Vaccine breakthroughs happen.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They were all extremely vulnerable and elderly people on that trial, because those are the people who were vaccinated back in December. If you go on the https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare you can see how well our vaccination program is going, even after we started opening up the schools and shops,

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Zugzwang posted:

The "if I get corona, I get corona" kids are the pandemic equivalent of the "what are you gonna do, stab me?" man.

I feel bad for the 2020 spring break bro because he got so thoroughly cancelled and then about 4-6 weeks later everybody's patience ran out and his attitude was widely adopted across America anyway

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s a genuine surprise Trump didn’t hire him as chief of the CDC, to be honest.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s a genuine surprise Trump didn’t hire him as chief of the CDC, to be honest.
He was busy trying to hire Jude Law after watching Contagion

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

had no idea until today that i get 2 extra personal days and a $100 gift card from work, for getting vaxxed :) score

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

boar guy posted:

had no idea until today that i get 2 extra personal days and a $100 gift card from work, for getting vaxxed :) score

So, they are rewarding the people who are vaccinated and can more safely be able to do things like go to work by telling them they don't have to come to work while the unvaccinated people are "forced" to come to work? The people who are far, far, far more likely to have the death disease?

lol, like I understand their intentions are pure but still

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

jokes posted:

So, they are rewarding the people who are vaccinated and can more safely be able to do things like go to work by telling them they don't have to come to work while the unvaccinated people are "forced" to come to work? The people who are far, far, far more likely to have the death disease?

The extra time off is typically for dealing with the side effects from the vaccine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

jokes posted:

i work remotely