Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Chard posted:

im 100% drag folks from homes and vaccinate em at this point

Was talking to my mom about how they got the polio vaccine back in the day when she lived on an airbase as a kid. She said they loaded all the kids up on a bus to take them over to a hangar during school and got the vaccine. She said "you know I never really thought about why they just don't have the military do this" - I told her because facebook has so thoroughly cooked everyone's brains that if any time the military tried to do this now, there would be a shootout. She agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you have a mask mandate, and you don't lift it even with a vaccination program going, then there is no "trade-off" between vaccinations and masking+social distancing

The problem is that large parts of the US fought against mask mandates long before vaccination was a thing, and then tried to use lifting of health measures as a token of exchange for convincing more people to get vaxxed

Of course it's going to come out as transactional if that's how you set up the question to begin with

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you have a mask mandate, and you don't lift it even with a vaccination program going, then there is no "trade-off" between vaccinations and masking+social distancing

The problem is that large parts of the US fought against mask mandates long before vaccination was a thing, and then tried to use lifting of health measures as a token of exchange for convincing more people to get vaxxed

Of course it's going to come out as transactional if that's how you set up the question to begin with

It's a bullshit trade, typical chud strategy, where they bitch and moan about compromise, get what they want, and then don't do their half of the bargain anyway.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

3 hours after my second Moderna poo poo. injection site starting to hurt a bit. much faster/more than the first shot

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
hey all been pacing back and forth all day thinking maybe not enough people are going to die of COVID to meet my year end objectives

so anyway, what's going on itt tonight? plotting ways we can get R0 higher than 1.0 for vaccinated populations? have a few SAW like scenarios that might inspire discussion.

sorry can't remember what's on the thread agenda tonight, I've been too busy fielding applications from therapists

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Spergin Morlock posted:

3 hours after my second Moderna poo poo. injection site starting to hurt a bit. much faster/more than the first shot

Get water, coffee, tylenol, a thermometer, your phone and charger and about 10 blankets and bunker up.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fosborb posted:

hey all been pacing back and forth all day thinking maybe not enough people are going to die of COVID to meet my year end objectives

so anyway, what's going on itt tonight? plotting ways we can get R0 higher than 1.0 for vaccinated populations? have a few SAW like scenarios that might inspire discussion.

sorry can't remember what's on the thread agenda tonight, I've been too busy fielding applications from therapists

I'm busy writing an opinion piece for the NYTs that explains why stories of Indians dying on the street have to be false because covid can't happen outside.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
"Emily Oster" is a cspam false flag op

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

You have it slightly wrong. The lifting of the mask mandate should've been tied to population vaccination rate. If we hit 80% vaccination rate, no more masks, let the fuckers who opted out choke on their own lung juices.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
lol even MLB managed to force the chud players and coaches to a 'if 85% of people have vaccines you don't have to wear masks in the dugout' rule. Sure only like 5 of 30 teams actually got there but at least there is a rule.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Kevin spaceys thousands of notebooks but theyre my posts and when brad pitt opens the box it's the head of decent grounded Americans that just want their doc to tells thems like it is

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

You have it slightly wrong. The lifting of the mask mandate should've been tied to population vaccination rate. If we hit 80% vaccination rate, no more masks, let the fuckers who opted out choke on their own lung juices.

Yup, that’s totally 100% how vaccines and immunity works.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Shiroc posted:

lol even MLB managed to force the chud players and coaches to a 'if 85% of people have vaccines you don't have to wear masks in the dugout' rule. Sure only like 5 of 30 teams actually got there but at least there is a rule.

I like taking the idea of herd immunity and using it to talk about a group of 20 people.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

I'm busy writing an opinion piece for the NYTs that explains why stories of Indians dying on the street have to be false because covid can't happen outside.

Wearing a mask outside in Delhi right now constitutes a psychiatric disorder, make sure to tell everyone that

SKULL.GIF posted:

Actually it should - like all intervention measures - be tied to community transmission rate. Vaccines, lockdowns, masks, etc. are all just tools to eradicate the disease or get the outbreak down so small that traditional disease control measures like contact tracing and quarantining protocols can be effective. It doesn't matter a single hot gently caress if "everyone" is vaccinated if the disease is still "somehow" blowing up out of control and we don't know whether the threshold for the outbreak going to Re <1.0 is 60% people vaccinated, 80%, or 90% so why tie removal of interventions to those numbers rather than the actual spread of the disease? It's like giving yourself permission to have an extra burger because you got the diet coke meanwhile your pancreas continues to implode regardless. Measuring success via interventions rather than via the effect on the disease.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The best thing you can do for covid is just get people outdoors. You need to simply open the windows of the hospitals; a few doctors might fall out but there will be far fewer recorded cases.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The other stupid thing about measuring interventions rather than effects is that it's much easier to negotiate away interventions with magical thinking. Getting 5% more people vaccinated is hard, therefore it matters a lot that we did it, right? That's success, open-er-up. Nevermind that we need five times that number for it to matter enough that we should relax other interventions.

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

I love that Illinois has a fully open er up metric that's 50% of 16+ with first shot

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Oldest Man posted:

Actually it should - like all intervention measures - be tied to community transmission rate. Vaccines, lockdowns, masks, etc. are all just tools to eradicate the disease or get the outbreak down so small that traditional disease control measures like contact tracing and quarantining protocols can be effective. It doesn't matter a single hot gently caress if "everyone" is vaccinated if the disease is still "somehow" blowing up out of control and we don't know whether the threshold for the outbreak going to Re <1.0 is 60% people vaccinated, 80%, or 90% so why tie removal of interventions to those numbers rather than the actual spread of the disease? It's like giving yourself permission to have an extra burger because you got the diet coke meanwhile your pancreas continues to implode regardless. Measuring success via interventions rather than via the effect on the disease.

The missing context here is that the COVID vaccines are fantastically effective compared to other vaccines, so, yes, what you're saying is already baked into the assumption here. It's giving people permission to have an extra burger because they're mainlining Olestra.

Besides, tying it strictly to transmission rates just means you'll get neoliberal governments constantly hitting the accelerator every time stuff starts trending down, leading to duck/rabbit season bullshit.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

The missing context here is that the COVID vaccines are fantastically effective compared to other vaccines, so, yes, what you're saying is already baked into the assumption here. It's giving people permission to have an extra burger because they're mainlining Olestra.

Besides, tying it strictly to transmission rates just means you'll get neoliberal governments constantly hitting the accelerator every time stuff starts trending down, leading to duck/rabbit season bullshit.

whiskey patrol posted:

I love that Illinois has a fully open er up metric that's 50% of 16+ with first shot

Oops, we gave people permission to have an extra burger because they looked at a picture of lettuce.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Do fox and rightwing media execs know by pushing science denialism during a pandemic they hosed any chance of a strong rebounding economy or do they just hate the poor?

Its probably the latter huh....

Elevons.Design
Feb 7, 2021

Thoguh posted:

It's your second shot though, what was your body learning about after the first one.

Also goongrats on the jab success.

Thanks - maybe that's why it needed the booster, because on first pass it doesn't seem threatening? Would explain what's going on lol.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

apatheticman posted:

Do fox and rightwing media execs know by pushing science denialism during a pandemic they hosed any chance of a strong rebounding economy or do they just hate the poor?

People dying has been really good for the economy and billionaires in particular.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

apatheticman posted:

the true believers are looking at demographics in red states and outcomes by those same demographics and pushing the exact same buttons Miller and Kushner did for the same reasons

the rest are probably just looking at Nielsen ratings

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Oldest Man posted:

Oops, we gave people permission to have an extra burger because they looked at a picture of lettuce.

I said 80%, not 50%. Illinois opening up at 50% is idiotic.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

apatheticman posted:

The Fed is fully funding the "rebounding economy" to the tunes of hundreds of billions a month. Nothing matters anymore.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

situation in india... seems bad

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's all good - we don't have the biggest p.1 outbreak in the country or anything LMAO

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lol if they were actually setting the targets at 80% I wouldn't be railing against it buuuuuut

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The other story I'd like to share is that in the second week of March, it was my cousin, who was a doctor, who was hesitant about taking a vaccine right away, because the only one they had available was Sinovac's Coronavac.

It took a call from her grandmother in Las Vegas, who just got done with her two shots of Pfizer, to convince her to take a vaccine right away without waiting for a "better one" to come along.

She's now fully vaxxed, as opposed to those who took AstraZeneca who are stuck at one shot because the government ran out of shots.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

only a few days away from being "fully vaxxed" shot 2 plus 2 weeks and I still don't feel any more re-assured.

applying for therapy

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

MadJackal posted:

The tide’s going against the thread consensus, OP.

Telling people they can’t change a single facet of their lives post-vaccination and should actually be wearing a Bane mask outdoors for the rest of their lives leads to less vaccination adoption and more deaths, flat out. All it does it turn a 95% effective vaccine into a risky choice, because if they haven’t gotten COVID yet, why should anyone take the risk of dying from a blood clot due to the vaccine?

If you tell people abstinence-only is the only option, people stop caring about risk reduction.

This thread isn’t the real world and it’s fun to occasionally interject with some boots on the ground reporting.

what is with your hatred for respirators, lol? you call them
“bane masks” every chance you get, but like, they’ve been standard respiratory protection in many industries for half a century. you do know they perform the same function and at the same filter efficiency of p100 or n95 masks, right?

smart doctor over here, making fun of people wearing masks

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

lol, this paper from a few months ago warned us what would happen

Anticipation of COVID-19 Vaccines Reduces Social Distancing

quote:

We show that the anticipation of COVID-19 vaccines reduces voluntary social distancing. In a large-scale preregistered survey experiment with a representative sample, we study whether providing information about the safety, effectiveness, and availability of COVID- 19 vaccines affects compliance with public health guidelines. We find that vaccine information reduces peoples’ voluntary social distancing, adherence to hygiene guidelines, and their willingness to stay at home. Vaccine information induces people to believe in a swifter return to normal life and puts their vigilance at ease.

The results indicate an important behavioral drawback of the successful vaccine development: An increased focus on vaccines can lead to bad health behaviors and accelerate the spread of the virus. The results imply that, as vaccinations start and the end of the pandemic feels closer, existing policies aimed at increasing social distancing will be less effective and stricter policies might be required.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I definitely don't get MJs issue with respirators. I've been expected to wear them for various art making most of my adult life. Spray painting? wear a loving respirator. Making prints? wear a loving respirator. Sanding? wear a loving respirator.

random art story too - There was a sculpture artist who would use a dremel to carve oyster shells and she wasn't using a respirator or mask or anything. Ended up with horrific heavy metal poisoning over the years because shellfish are bio accumulators.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
there were definitely a couple posters dooming about how the mrna vaccines didnt really do much against variants but yeah i think most of the thread has otherwise been of the opinion they're good and that the virus is still gonna rip through parts of america and gently caress up a bunch of people because chuds gotta applebees while unvaccinated kids are in school

going forward though america will be better off as a whole from other countries unless they start vaccinating like crazy

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Actually it should - like all intervention measures - be tied to community transmission rate. Vaccines, lockdowns, masks, etc. are all just tools to eradicate the disease or get the outbreak down so small that traditional disease control measures like contact tracing and quarantining protocols can be effective.

why is this so hard for people to understand??

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

it's better to not think of how many people your posting kills, makes it harder to do your duty

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

random art story too - There was a sculpture artist who would use a dremel to carve oyster shells and she wasn't using a respirator or mask or anything. Ended up with horrific heavy metal poisoning over the years because shellfish are bio accumulators.

they werent doing the drilling/carving submerged?? eeeeeeeeee

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

demanding people toxx on poo poo is always so cringey to see

is this what the pandemic has reduced us to

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

DarkEuphoria posted:

what is with your hatred for respirators, lol? you call them
“bane masks” every chance you get, but like, they’ve been standard respiratory protection in many industries for half a century. you do know they perform the same function and at the same filter efficiency of p100 or n95 masks, right?

smart doctor over here, making fun of people wearing masks

most doctors are total pieces of poo poo that could be replaced easily with a search engine and a half-competent nurse, and often are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

demanding people toxx on poo poo is always so cringey to see

is this what the pandemic has reduced us to

we are all lower than beasts, and rise briefly above through Posting

toxx is counter to this, anti-life, abomination