Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

started Nier remake, never played the first but loved Automata

why does my guy look like 9S, why are the redhead twins from Automata here, why is the library the exact same as the one in Automata, why is that lady in her underwear, I got so many questions already. lovin it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Finished act 1 for the first time ever and holy poo poo I was so angry at first lmao. Nier: Automata spoilers and Act 1 spoilers ahoy: When Kainé lets Emil petrify her to save the group from the big shade, I thought that was it, and it was going to be like, you get Kainé in act 1 and Emil for act 2 or something, because I thought it would be sort of like going from 2B to A2 except with supporting characters. I am glad that you can pretty much load up act 2 and do one story mission and then you have the band back together. Although I do hope Emil's transformation gets expanded on a little because what the gently caress.

Also while I enjoyed the characters in Automata, the trio of Kainé, Nier, and Weiss that you have for most of the 1st act is just so good. The voice actors sell these characters perfectly.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Nutt posted:

Also while I enjoyed the characters in Automata, the trio of Kainé, Nier, and Weiss that you have for most of the 1st act is just so good. The voice actors sell these characters perfectly.

regardless of anything else you could say between the games in terms of comparative quality, the party characters in Replicant/Gestalt absolutely slap the poo poo out of Automata's, yeah

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Weiss reaction to sidequests is exactly how I feel (in this game and in others)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

they should just add weiss to all games really

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ZZZorcerer posted:

It's great, yeah. The Dark Knight questline in FF14 is good for similar reasons

I'm really loving this remake. After the honeymoon period of automata wore off, I decided that the original was slightly better in almost every way except for the combat, so I'm pumped at how good a job they did with fixing that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ZZZorcerer posted:

Yeah it's loving perfect!

Also in a similar vein, I like how (beginning of act 2 spoilers) Nier becomes at odds with Devola and Popola, but the protagonist realizes he overreacted and that they didn't really have a choice, and apologizes. And Devola and Popola recognize exactly why he's upset and also apologize. The whole thing felt very grown up and nuanced in a way you don't see in a lot of pop culture right now where the smallest disagreements need to be mined for conflict and fallout forever. Very refreshing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's great, yeah. The Dark Knight questline in FF14 is good for similar reasons

I'm really loving this remake. After the honeymoon period of automata wore off, I decided that the original was slightly better in almost every way except for the combat, so I'm pumped at how good a job they did with fixing that.

I’m the opposite, I played the original and the remake has shown how much a lot of it hasn’t aged great Nostalgia aside

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I feel like act 1 didn't have nearly enough party banter. Kainé isn't around most of the time and when she is the banter mostly amounts to 'Hussy' -> 'gently caress off, book'. Which is still great.

Act 2's banter has been a lot more enjoyable so far, especially Emil talking about what a nice time him and Kainé have every night camping under the stars.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is it me or are all the bosses you only do once in Act 1 way better than any of the Act 2 ones you have to fight a bunch of times?
There's a lot less 'they take barely any damage until the plot dialogue finishes' going on at least.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Weiss shut the gently caress up you're scaring the fish.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sakurazuka posted:

Is it me or are all the bosses you only do once in Act 1 way better than any of the Act 2 ones you have to fight a bunch of times?
There's a lot less 'they take barely any damage until the plot dialogue finishes' going on at least.

I'm just finding every boss goes down within a few seconds unless dialogue or some mechanic stops them. I don't know if I'm overlevelled or if all the enemies have barely any health on normal.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Sakurazuka posted:

The bosses in Act 1 are all very zelda-esque, and they do, in fact, kick rear end because of it

I kinda wish the formerly-DLC area brought them back to refight later, but alas, it's just generic shades

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

stev posted:

I'm just finding every boss goes down within a few seconds unless dialogue or some mechanic stops them. I don't know if I'm overlevelled or if all the enemies have barely any health on normal.

Probably overleveled, or maybe you've prioritized upgrading your weapons? I'm on easy, and even with all the XP i'm gaining from doing sidequests it feels like the boss fights are of a satisfying length. I don't think I have any weapons upgraded past level 2 though, I've given my brain permission to not care about finding upgrade mats, at least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The funniest one is chipping away slowly at P-33 while everyone is getting chatty then as soon as that stops you utterly delete the rest of its health in like 1/8th of a second

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

If I have one complaint about this remake it's that the "beat boss in a time limit" trophies still count cutscene time against you. I don't care if I've seen them before, I don't wanna skip them!!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Probably overleveled, or maybe you've prioritized upgrading your weapons? I'm on easy, and even with all the XP i'm gaining from doing sidequests it feels like the boss fights are of a satisfying length. I don't think I have any weapons upgraded past level 2 though, I've given my brain permission to not care about finding upgrade mats, at least.
on the one hand, you could do that

on the other: level 4 weapons almost always look extremely loving cool or goofy (iron will is so comically large it clips into the ground while standing/running)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I don't think I ever noticed anything happening to the weapons after you upgrade them except big number go up

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I noticed some upgrades changing the weight stat (whatever that does) as well, but yeah if the visuals change I certainly didn't notice

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

I noticed some upgrades changing the weight stat (whatever that does) as well, but yeah if the visuals change I certainly didn't notice
it's only really noticeable if you do a couple levels at a time, or if it's something you've been using for a while
for example, Captain's Holy Spear goes from this:

to this

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Putting the game on easy and skipping every skippable thing, whilst also avoiding combat wherever it isn’t absolutely mandatory, and I’m back to part 2 and collecting the final key piece in facade after 4 hours.

Some people play games this way as a normal everyday thing and it boggles the mind.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

the speedrun achievement does actually sound kinda fun to do for that reason - I imagine it can't be that difficult if you just get the eagle egg from the quest and get enough money to buy/upgrade phoenix spear immediately and spend all your remaining money on strength/defense ups

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m not even bothering to collect any weapons that the game doesn’t shove in my face, this is strictly to get the trophy wrapped up for the plat. No upgrading, no side quests, just story beat after story beat. I haven’t even bought any maps.

I didn’t think the 3 fish I had left to catch would go by as quickly as they did which is the only reason I started the speedrun tonight, I should be able to plant my last set of seeds tomorrow and if RNG favours me I’ll be done and dusted.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Running route B now. Does the difficulty go up at any point or did it peak at the end of route A? So far it seems to be the same. I didn’t even bother upgrading any of my weapons outside of the mandatory story stuff, so I’m wondering if it’s even needed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Edmund Lava posted:

Running route B now. Does the difficulty go up at any point or did it peak at the end of route A? So far it seems to be the same. I didn’t even bother upgrading any of my weapons outside of the mandatory story stuff, so I’m wondering if it’s even needed.

Upgrading weapons is for unlocking more of their stories. You don’t need to upgrade them at all.

Difficulty stays where it is cause of the whole central conceit of the route system.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Question on all the words, does it only apply to the weapon you kill the enemy with for things like EXP + or Item drop +? Or does it stack with everything equipped, so the three weapons and the two magics? And what about putting words on block/dodge, how does that apply?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I’ve had Drakengard 3 on my shelf for years should I finally bother playing it Y/N?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I like how in Route C, Louise's dialog sounds even more human, and you get a slightly different boss fight... but she still dies the exact same way. I wanted her to be happy :cry:

(I knew she wouldn't no matter what, because this is Nier we're talking about, but still.)

Gutcruncher posted:

I’ve had Drakengard 3 on my shelf for years should I finally bother playing it Y/N?
You should definitely try it, at the very least

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Playing through this game this time around I was really put in mind of the opening song from Hadestown which is partly about how they keep performing this tragedy over and over again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtlTvqTtCa4

Maybe it will turn out this time!

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Gutcruncher posted:

It's actually pretty good in my opinion. I had a pretty emotional reaction to a lot of parts of it and Mikael is the best dragon. Plus you'll get to know the joys of what happens when Swery65 and Yoko Taro are on the same project.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This is a very very very mild spoiler - (it's just a boss introduction) but if Drakengard 3 is brought up it is my duty to post this really cool way they use the sound of this character singing and how it transitions seamlessly into the boss music is an eleven-out-of-ten moment for Mr. Okabe cause god drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_khZjAEdR4&t=89s

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I know that I am a complete nutcase cause I've never played Drakengard 3 but have consumed all of its cutscenes thru youtube and all I really want to do is play its final, final ending verse (yes, THAT one) for myself because I found that whole sequence to be breathtakingly beautiful. Idk what it is but that whole final sequence, bullshit and all, is a complete unironic work of art to me :shobon:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I feel like I only ever hear people talk about drakengard 1 and drakengard 3. What's 2's deal?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I feel like I only ever hear people talk about drakengard 1 and drakengard 3. What's 2's deal?

It wasn't made by Yoko Taro and so is basically entirely ignored.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ainsley McTree posted:

It was done without Yoko Taro's input and is far more of a traditional story than any of his work, at least in terms of the protagonist.

For the record, Yoko Taro does actually consider it canon, but it's not anything he's ever expanded on in the way he's done everything else.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

2 was not made by yoko taro (he worked on it, but wasnt the director or writer, only a minor dev role), and thus is mostly just mediocre as opposed to interestingly batshit

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Follows on from Drakengard 1 ending A or B and therefore sucks poo poo.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ahh, I didn't realize. It is good that nobody talks about it then

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Drakengard 3 is the only PS3 game I have where they decided to use the PS4 blue color scheme on the boxart. Is that just Yoko Taro being a master troll?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Drakengard 2 has exactly one good moment in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlFTRLKboFo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ahh, I didn't realize. It is good that nobody talks about it then

To give an idea about how bad it is, the protagonist is an 18 year old anime prettyboy.

He gets the JRPG standard 'hey let's explain basic facts about the world' speeches about the group he's working for, except his adoptive father was the leader of said loving group. That's like getting adopted by Bill Gates and having no idea what a computer is.

It just gets worse from there.