Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kalli posted:

He needs to copy a shot then use it from where and the height the player shot at though.

Same deal with Golf. He can copy the perfect form... but will not know how much power to use to compensate for the course or wind. He'd be a hell of a pitcher though.

Pitcher would have the same deal then, he'd need a pitcher that had his body proportions and then he's dealing with weather too. Slight changes in the manufacturing of any given, or it gets a little wet, etc. affects your grip. Strike zone changes a bit depending on who you're facing, as does where you want to pitch them, because even a perfect pitch can be hit. Basketball at least is indoors with a static ball and you're hitting a target that doesn't move. I'd say it would actually be way more applicable to basketball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Seems like someone could be making millions by bowling.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
But he doesn't want to cure cancer. He wants to turn people into dinosaurs.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Big boned

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Basically, Taskmaster is a robot. He can hit the ball/goal/hole with 100% efficiency, as long as the circumstances are 100% the same. Otherwise he's

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Yes exactly. He is obviously some one trick pony whose super power is only useful in a very specific set of circumstances.
That's why he he always gets his rear end kicked.

(Sarcasm off.)

Lot of posters here sounding like AI villains in a AAA console game.
"Sure they say that Taskmaster is this amazing dude who can replicate any action he sees. But I bet I could stump him by moving in an unpredictable manner. Also, while we are at it, I bet Wolverine isn't really the Best There Is At What He Does."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

Yes exactly. He is obviously some one trick pony whose super power is only useful in a very specific set of circumstances.
That's why he he always gets his rear end kicked.

(Sarcasm off.)

Lot of posters here sounding like AI villains in a AAA console game.
"Sure they say that Taskmaster is this amazing dude who can replicate any action he sees. But I bet I could stump him by moving in an unpredictable manner. Also, while we are at it, I bet Wolverine isn't really the Best There Is At What He Does."

Moving in an unpredictable manner is exactly how Deadpool beat Taskmaster in their first fight.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
If I had to fight Taskmaster I would simply flummox him with a riddle: "What is love?"

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I would do a series of cool moves followed by one really stupid one that leaves me mortally wounded, in the hopes that he would copy me.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Libra posted:

I would do a series of cool moves followed by one really stupid one that leaves me mortally wounded, in the hopes that he would copy me.

Ah, a Kill Six Billion Demons technique.

quote:

[...]Finally, the last man strode into the arena. The crowd leaned in, eager to see him dismembered or worse by the Ya-at warrior, who scarcely had suffered a scratch and was oiled and offered refreshments by its house slaves.

The two warriors squared off, the young nobleman dwarfed by his opponent, and the bell was rung. The nobleman then did a very strange thing. He threw out a single sword stroke that was so artless, so completely lacking in skill, that a child might have made it. It was like a village idiot absentmindedly hurling a stick into a muddy pond. The Ya-at warrior was so shocked and offended by the young nobleman’s complete and utter lack of skill and technique that the hulking warrior was caught by surprise and decapitated in one blow.

The crowd was taken aback and instantly sprung up in confusion, disarray, and rage, for surely the young man must have cheated. The king descended from his gilded palanquin and quieted the crowd, addressing the young man directly.

“What trickery did you use to defeat my warrior?” demanded the king, at this point sputtering with disbelief himself. “No trickery,” said the young man, who was absentmindedly toeing the ya-at’s corpse.

“Then what technique? What sword art did you learn to make such a blow?” said the king.

“My technique is no technique,” said the young man. “My art is no art. It was an idiot’s blow.”

“Ten thousand warriors have failed to defeat my gladiator,” said the king, gaping. “Trained in ten thousand fighting arts from across the Wheel. How could an artless fool have defeated my prize slave?” The young man scratched his chin. “Well, not anyone can use my lack of technique. No ordinary fool could make that blow,” he replied “only one extremely dedicated to foolishness.”

It was immediately apparent to the king that this young man was extraordinarily powerful.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Truly the best at being the worst.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

"Taskmaster, you fool! You've copied Wimp Lo, who we've trained wrong, as a joke!"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Precambrian posted:

"Taskmaster, you fool! You've copied Wimp Lo, who we've trained wrong, as a joke!"

Face to foot style seemed like a mistake.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Not Penta? Much miedo, amigo.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Every morning Taskmaster wakes up and open-palm slams a VHS into the slot. It's Chronicles of Riddick and right then and there he starts doing the moves alongside the main character, Riddick.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Now he call kill someone with a cup!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Defenders #40 (1976)

Spidey Super Stories #26 (1977)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

flatluigi posted:

there are much more flattering looking skeletons in wrestling than that

Roddy Piper, Randy Savage, Ultimate Warrior, Andre the Giant... the list goes on.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Isn't this basically how Deadpool beats him when they first meet?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I don't know if it was when they FIRST met but I'm pretty sure that's something he did once yes, and he was handcuffed at the time too. I can't find any particularly funny panels from it myself.

Darthemed posted:

Spidey Super Stories #26 (1977)
His dad was so happy to be the eighth wonder of the world :unsmith:
...pity about the airplane incident :smith:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I'd love to watch a Spidey Super Stories movie or series - the slightly insane and childlike enthusiasm is fantastic.

Problem is, you wouldn't want it just be campy, I think the source material deserves better.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzqUnL89WkM

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Can't believe that yeti took an entire grape soda up the butt.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

flatluigi posted:

there are much more flattering looking skeletons in wrestling than that

Yeah, but can they shred AND kick rear end?

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
https://twitter.com/KungFu_Grip/status/725970583473647616

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

All-Flash #1 (1941)

The Defenders #40 (1976)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Elissimpark posted:

I'd love to watch a Spidey Super Stories movie or series - the slightly insane and childlike enthusiasm is fantastic.

Problem is, you wouldn't want it just be campy, I think the source material deserves better.

A few weeks ago I watched a video on the '66 Batman movie, which pointed out that for all the goofiness, (1) it was a reasonably accurate portrayal of the Batman comics at the time, and (2) it's all played rather straight, with Adam West giving it his all with the gravitas.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

If only. Disco Inferno is still with us, I'm afraid.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Keromaru5 posted:

A few weeks ago I watched a video on the '66 Batman movie, which pointed out that for all the goofiness, (1) it was a reasonably accurate portrayal of the Batman comics at the time, and (2) it's all played rather straight, with Adam West giving it his all with the gravitas.

Oh yeah, the grimdark Batman thing is only a relatively recent thing. I wanna say Dark Knight Returns is about the start of it, but I'm probably horribly wrong.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

Oh yeah, the grimdark Batman thing is only a relatively recent thing. I wanna say Dark Knight Returns is about the start of it, but I'm probably horribly wrong.

Dark Night Returns is the start of "Batman is angry all the time", but the turn away from camp got started in the late-60's, really spun hard when Denny O'Neil started writing Batman in 1969, and by the early 70's Batman comics were serious business.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Batman started out dark, he used to have no problem shooting people. in the 50's concern about "juvenile delinquency" prompted the creation of the Comics Code which had super strict rules about what could be depicted in comics, Batman was cleaned up and made code friendly so it could remain on newstands.
With the loosening of the Code requirements in the 70s Batman started getting more serious, O'Neill set the stage for the dark batman we all know now.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
DC's main project for several decades was to try as hard as possible to make everyone forget the Adam West Batman.

Anyway, I would very much be into a similar take on Spider-Man.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Keromaru5 posted:

DC's main project for several decades was to try as hard as possible to make everyone forget the Adam West Batman.

Anyway, I would very much be into a similar take on Spider-Man.

They already did an arc where everyone forgot about Spiderman. People loved it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Now I'm sad we didn't get Adam West Spider-Man.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

Now I'm sad we didn't get Adam West Spider-Man.

*camera slowly tilts into Dutch angle
"With great power...comes great... responsibility.
*We see MJ is Burt Ward in a wig

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Keromaru5 posted:

It's also really boring. I really struggled with getting through it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alhazred posted:

It's also really boring. I really struggled with getting through it.

What's it like to have no taste.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's basically DadJokes: The Movie.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
If it's the one I'm thinking of, don't the criminals have a cool symbol for their organization?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bucnasti posted:

Batman started out dark, he used to have no problem shooting people. in the 50's concern about "juvenile delinquency" prompted the creation of the Comics Code which had super strict rules about what could be depicted in comics, Batman was cleaned up and made code friendly so it could remain on newstands.
With the loosening of the Code requirements in the 70s Batman started getting more serious, O'Neill set the stage for the dark batman we all know now.

Well yeah, at the start he was just a ripoff of The Shadow :v:

Batman shifted in tone and stopped shooting people way before the Comics Code.