Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Tender Bender posted:

There was one for spooking monsters away, but I was referring to how their corpses would disappear too fast for you to loot them sometimes in Tri

Didn't this more have to do with sync issues and the corpse just teleported to where the host thought it died? Am I confusing it with another similar game at the time?

I think world was the first to sync small monsters

I seem to remember small monsters hunts were watching everyone bash the air and random monsters fell over dead. Was so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Is there a recommended LBG or HBG build for dummies? All I'm really looking for is something that lets me get through rampages with even less brain activity than it currently takes with me hammer.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
So on subject of useful links someone made an in-depth study of iframes in Rise and the effects of Evade Window (turn on closed caption for english subs): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpZTcGdsmD4

I've only skimmed around rather than watch the whole thing but my biggest takeaways from all this after comparing to datamined info for MHW that is floating around is that base dodge got it's iframe count cut by about a third (4 frames @ 30 fps - ooof), but on a positive note gunlance hops seem to have same iframe count as rolls. Foresight Slash seems to have about as much as it had in World (because of course it does) but doesn't benefit from EW, and SnS backhop seems to have as much invulnerability as Foresight Slash. Meanwhile people seem to be arguing if Evade Window got nerfed into the ground or is it about the same and it's just the base iframes making it seem like it was.

(The channel this video was posted on has several other useful comparisons on various MHRise skill effects)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Your Computer posted:

not in a million years would i have imagined reading this phrase directed at the gunlance

I really think so!

Full burst style, stake style, buffing your wyvernfire, shelling types - all of these are really different ways to play and they all work to varying degrees all on one weapon. You can be more defensive and use the switch skill block, you can be more evasive and use EVade Extender, you can blast dash to and from fights.

Meanwhile hammer has like, 2 weapons you should craft and they both do the same thing, and everyone agrees on the best switch skills and abilities everyone is trying to land the same move

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It is however a very fun move to land

https://twitter.com/boobzwithaz/status/1387849849257619457

When you actually land it

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Hammer damage being so reliant on that silkbind move is kinda annoying since it's so easy to whiff. Especially the second hit as you land if the head isnt like directly on the ground

It does feel amazing to land tho

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

There's a helm that gives you an extra carve (carving master) but you need to do every arena with every weapon to unlock it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Please god let me favorite talismans

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Do you have to do all the Rampages to unlock the last few missions?

I'm working my way through them, but a lot of what I see online about the unlocks isn't true. I'm well over HR50 but have been ignoring Rampages except when I need Defender tickets. And I usually need the low level tickets for ramp up skills, so haven't bothered with the higher ones.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Please god let me favorite talismans

Or at least let me organize them as I want to like GU so I can move the stuff I want to keep to the last page.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 2, 2021

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Oxyclean posted:

There's a helm that gives you an extra carve (carving master) but you need to do every arena with every weapon to unlock it.

This almost definitely isn't worth it...
...right?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Tender Bender posted:

There was one for spooking monsters away, but I was referring to how their corpses would disappear too fast for you to loot them sometimes in Tri

Oh, I know, I was saying it more along the lines of "poo poo you no longer have to put up with".

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Alxprit posted:

...right?

It’s about the journey.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah there’s like what, 7 arena missions? 5 weapons each and that’s only 35 hunts. Do a couple of those a day and you can be done in a few weeks.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean it doesn't matter what rank you get, you only need to kill the monster, so it's not that bad

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rampages are easily the best spectacle fight in the games I've played, but they still miss the point. Why they feel the need to add spectacle fights is beyond me. Like make them Apex Super Galactico fights instead and I'd be super happy, not another set of mechanics I'm just not interested in learning.

Why are some Rampages marked in red? I don't want to watch a YouTube video on Rampages but it looks like I'll have to.

This lovely whine brought to y'all by having to solo Apex Mizutsune Rampage only because I want to unlock the actual fight. Apparently no one else wants to do it either.

Make I should build that rapid fire shrapnel lbg to do these. Yeah, that'll keep me happy and interested and not doing Rampages.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Complain on the internet and good things happen in Monster Hunter:

Reload Speed 2/Recoil Down 2, 2-2-0! Guess I'm going back to gunning for a bit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
How does layered armour work in Rise? Ia it just the cosmetic/DLC pieces or can I turn regular armour into layered?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

How does layered armour work in Rise? Ia it just the cosmetic/DLC pieces or can I turn regular armour into layered?

You have to craft it separately with outfit vouchers and sometimes for the fancier armour a piece from the monster or whatever, usually 1 of the more common drops. It's pretty painless to get, the vouchers come from all the high end fights they added in this last patch and I'd guess the last boss of the base game as well (not bothered doing it since the patch came out but I would assume so).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

v1ld posted:

Why are some Rampages marked in red? I don't want to watch a YouTube video on Rampages but it looks like I'll have to.

They’re just tougher versions of those fights and I believe include stuff like Magnamalo invades in them

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

V upset the female Damascus armor doesn't get a bitchin' cape. Add Ukanlos to Rise so I can get a cape!

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Is there a “right” way to do melding? Be just been throwing mats in targeting razor sharp or critical eye, no idea if I’m supposed to be doing something to get a good talisman.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Fifteen of Many posted:

Is there a “right” way to do melding? Be just been throwing mats in targeting razor sharp or critical eye, no idea if I’m supposed to be doing something to get a good talisman.

The targeted meldings won't get you good stuff, you've gotta do the random melding or the recycling.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

The targeted meldings won't get you good stuff, you've gotta do the random melding or the recycling.

:negative:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

With all the new decorations that were added you really don’t need some god tier charm anymore.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

thebardyspoon posted:

You have to craft it separately with outfit vouchers and sometimes for the fancier armour a piece from the monster or whatever, usually 1 of the more common drops. It's pretty painless to get, the vouchers come from all the high end fights they added in this last patch and I'd guess the last boss of the base game as well (not bothered doing it since the patch came out but I would assume so).

As far as I can tell, you are guaranteed 1-2 Outfit tickets for every 7* Hunt and about 5-7 for a 7* Rampage, at least the ones that end in an Apex or Ibushi.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I was playing around with the great sword and didn't quite realise how ridiculous using adamant charged slash + rage slash is. This is probably the most fun I've had so far in Rise, just going into a monster and then almost immediately charging into an un-interruptible attack is awesome.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ethiser posted:

With all the new decorations that were added you really don’t need some god tier charm anymore.

Pretty much. Basically any 2-2-0 charm is good for like 95% of builds. If it has any relevant skills even better. A 3-2-1 charm would be great by itself. Basically just keep an eye out on deco slots as skills are now mostly secondary since you can craft almost any of them.

Basically look at the total lvl 2 skill points a talisman has. 2+ is desirable. 3 is what most guides build around (with a WEX2, 2-0-0 charm being the base you’ll see most mentioned). 4+ is god-roll territory.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 2, 2021

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Alxprit posted:

...right?

Considering you want to be capturing non-elders for better rates on gems, not really. But it seems great for 2 carves on tails. It also seems good for fighting elders since you cant cap em.

However, you have to consider that you are likely giving up the teostra helm on melee builds. And thats a really good helm.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Considering you want to be capturing non-elders for better rates on gems, not really. But it seems great for 2 carves on tails. It also seems good for fighting elders since you cant cap em.

However, you have to consider that you are likely giving up the teostra helm on melee builds. And thats a really good helm.

I hate how all the special equipment usually ends up being a headpiece.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Have they added in another way to get the extra charge level on bows besides the arena headpiece because that is annoying.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
The Anjanath bow is straight up the best bow available, isn’t it?

I mean maybe there are better bows to use if you’re targeting a specific elemental weakness, but the Anjanath bow seems flat out best otherwise, considering the high raw damage and the four levels of Rapid shot.

Rapid shot just seems flat out better than all the other shot types except in certain instances.

Are there any other top tier bows I should be going after?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

From the videos I've seen, the suggested bow for all elemental builds is the Rampage Bow V, no matter what the element is.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Augus posted:

I mean it doesn't matter what rank you get, you only need to kill the monster, so it's not that bad
Yeah, but unlike world arena, dying once is a fail. But yeah, it could still be worse.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cross-posting from the Switch thread and I just picked Rise up on the behest of a friend who wants to play together.

When I tried the demo, which I know is bad, I tried the ranged weapons, all 3, and the Hunting Horn. I kinda liked that one. Am I making a mistake? Reading the descriptions given, the Sword and Shield also sounds up to my speed as well. I don't need to be super fast, but I don't want to feel particularly cumbersome either. The ranged weapons seemed ok, but the whole deal with ammo types didn't really pique my interest.

Also who is the youtuber people recommend watching, and if possible, if someone knows of good guides that are text-based send me that way because I prefer reading things 1000x over hearing and watching someone telling me stuff.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Tekopo posted:

From the videos I've seen, the suggested bow for all elemental builds is the Rampage Bow V, no matter what the element is.

Interesting, I haven’t made any Rampage weapons. It looks like the highest tier of Rampage is still ??? For me.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Cross-posting from the Switch thread and I just picked Rise up on the behest of a friend who wants to play together.

When I tried the demo, which I know is bad, I tried the ranged weapons, all 3, and the Hunting Horn. I kinda liked that one. Am I making a mistake? Reading the descriptions given, the Sword and Shield also sounds up to my speed as well. I don't need to be super fast, but I don't want to feel particularly cumbersome either. The ranged weapons seemed ok, but the whole deal with ammo types didn't really pique my interest.

Also who is the youtuber people recommend watching, and if possible, if someone knows of good guides that are text-based send me that way because I prefer reading things 1000x over hearing and watching someone telling me stuff.
Hunting Horn is really good in Rise and pretty easy to use in comparison to previous games, so if you like the sound of it, just go for it. Pretty much every single weapon is viable for at least completing hunts, so just go for what you like the look of and don't worry too much.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

minya posted:

Interesting, I haven’t made any Rampage weapons. It looks like the highest tier of Rampage is still ??? For me.

I believe you need Apex Rathalos and Diablos for the highest tier. Not sure if you've done them.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

I believe you need Apex Rathalos and Diablos for the highest tier. Not sure if you've done them.

Aha, that’ll do it, thanks for the tip.

What is the strategy for rampage weapons generally? You can choose multiple skills right?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

minya posted:

Aha, that’ll do it, thanks for the tip.

What is the strategy for rampage weapons generally? You can choose multiple skills right?

They are pretty much build your own weapon yeah. You usually won’t build anything better then what you get from monster trees, but it’s nice when you are learning a weapon.
Or you are playing Bow, I think those are now BiS for bows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Rampage Bows are extremely good, but as long as it isn't a spread shot you have plenty of perfectly viable options.