Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Solenna posted:

That would mean an on screen MCU romance with more passion than one kiss per movie and we can't be having that. Marvel properties are amazingly asexual. A polygon article went through all the kisses in the MCU and they're pretty lackluster.

Also Bucky and Sarah getting together would be funnier because of how much Sam would hate it.

Jessica Jones and Luke Cage stole all the loving from the MCU and hoarded it on Netflix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

STAC Goat posted:

Wait, that seems like quite a leap from the pre-existing "there might have been a plague storyline" leap.

Fair enough, I think I must have extrapolated stuff people said in this thread.

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, I am glad the Flag Smashers weren't explicitly "Thanos was good, actually".

The thing about the Snap and the Blip that makes it hard to completely map onto the real world haves and have nots is that the Snap was egalitarian. Just as many powerful people got dusted as didn't. So the idea that the powers that be would come down favoring one side over the other doesn't exactly track. Though I guess what the show sort of clumsily said is the drive is to return to status quo ante bellum.

Kind of, but it's unlikely that the haves would have been severely affected either way. The ones that weren't blipped already had comfortable lives and didn't need to move into anyone's homes or jobs. They'd have been more than happy to welcome their blipped rich and powerful buddies back with open arms, and probably helped evict displace whoever had been living in their mansions for the last five years. The people in power will always close ranks around each other.

Solenna posted:

That would mean an on screen MCU romance with more passion than one kiss per movie and we can't be having that. Marvel properties are amazingly asexual. A polygon article went through all the kisses in the MCU and they're pretty lackluster.

True but there's a surprising amount of implied loving in WandaVision.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Scott and Hope have a lot of simmering sexual tension.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

cyclical posted:

He didn't. He was fighting exclusively to disable or disarm, and didn't kill even when he easily could have (like with the knife fight, where he embeds the knife into the floor as a pointed warning). Here's the Winter Soldier stunt double talking a little bit about what they were doing with Bucky's fighting:

https://twitter.com/falconsoldierTV/status/1388197409277157376.

"You can't dethrone the king" is pretty bad-rear end, though.

The best bit of that is that looking through the rest of the comments there's apparently a Twitter campaign to push Bucky and Sarah as a thing or at least get a bit more of their flirting akin to the extended footage of Zemo dancing, and it links back to that Spellman interview where he says he sees Bucky as part of Sam's family now. Something he illustrates by noting that he pictures Sam coming home to find Bucky has visited for dinner and is flirting with Sarah.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The closest real world analogy to the snap is victims of the holocaust who were taken from all stratas of society returning to their pre-war homes to find other people now living in them and they weren't going to be allowed their old lives back.

I mean the snap literally turns its victims into ashes, it's the holocaust.

e: and that is why a big chunk of my angle is 'the show short-changes the GRC on the terms of its own narrative'. They're the ones on the side of the holocaust victims.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 1, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Alchenar posted:

The closest real world analogy to the snap is victims of the holocaust who were taken from all stratas of society returning to their pre-war homes to find other people now living in them and they weren't going to be allowed their old lives back.

I believe the same thing happened with Asian residents of America during World War II, where the American government interred them all for years during the war and then when they were finally released following the war, found that people had moved into their homes to take over their land and that the government wouldn't do anything about it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Corridor Crew talk to Anthony Mackie's stunt double about FATWS (Gui, the Black Panther stunt double is there too.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YD9n9YuKys&t=25s

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Alchenar posted:

e: and that is why a big chunk of my angle is 'the show short-changes the GRC on the terms of its own narrative'. They're the ones on the side of the holocaust victims.

I kind of feel comparing them to holocaust victims is a tad extreme. Not to mention even if you accept the premise exactly morally equivalent, cramming all of the people who helped keep the world running for the last 5 years into crammed refugee camps to be deported in the name of 'returning to normal' is still immoral.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Its Rinaldo posted:

Corridor Crew talk to Anthony Mackie's stunt double about FATWS (Gui, the Black Panther stunt double is there too.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YD9n9YuKys&t=25s

How fitting for everyone's favourite fascist sympathiser production team to discuss this show. Thematically appropriate, if you will

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

I kind of feel comparing them to holocaust victims is a tad extreme. Not to mention even if you accept the premise exactly morally equivalent, cramming all of the people who helped keep the world running for the last 5 years into crammed refugee camps to be deported in the name of 'returning to normal' is still immoral.

Wisecrack did a video on FAWS and drew a parallel to refugees from post-WWI/pre-WWII Europe.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

How fitting for everyone's favourite fascist sympathiser production team to discuss this show. Thematically appropriate, if you will

What the hell are you talking about

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Terror Sweat posted:

Yeah, as far as fascist sympathiser production teams go, they barely make it into the top ten! (I have no clue what this is about.)

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, as far as fascist sympathiser production teams go, they barely make it into the top ten! (I have no clue what this is about.)

I heard that they traded money for good and/or services, on time. Goddam capitalist pigs!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
All forms of trade are theft.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

Corridor Crew does work for a weird right-wing gun coffee or something.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

^^ Yes, that too!

Terror Sweat posted:

Quick search, it seems this is the reason why they are not in good graces with some people:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Corridor/comments/kktuzt/why_corridor_should_delete_tiny_guns_2/
(They published a video talking about "racism bad", then published another video where they -it seems, haven't seen the video- portrait Arabs as terrorists).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shot of the Ms. Marvel suit:

https://twitter.com/MsMarvelNews/status/1388508117101580288

Looks really good as cosplay, but pretty lousy for a character who is very much with Spider-Man on the "DIY Costume" front.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Desperado Bones posted:

^^ Yes, that too!

Quick search, it seems this is the reason why they are not in good graces with some people:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Corridor/comments/kktuzt/why_corridor_should_delete_tiny_guns_2/
(They published a video talking about "racism bad", then published another video where they -it seems, haven't seen the video- portrait Arabs as terrorists).

It's weird that people will watch Disney movies enthusiastically but then cancel youtubers for banal poo poo like this

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Looks really good as cosplay, but pretty lousy for a character who is very much with Spider-Man on the "DIY Costume" front.

I don't think I've ever seen good stretching effects in live action movies, it's very difficult to turn a human into a cartoon and make it look good IMO. They definitely picked a challenging hero for the effects team

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Terror Sweat posted:

I don't think I've ever seen good stretching effects in live action movies, it's very difficult to turn a human into a cartoon and make it look good IMO. They definitely picked a challenging hero for the effects team

Ahem

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Man like 2 minutes before this was the worst poo poo ever with pancake newman

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Terror Sweat posted:

It's weird that people will watch Disney movies enthusiastically but then cancel youtubers for banal poo poo like this

It's a lot easier to cancel something that's halfway to poo poo to begin with

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

mind the walrus posted:

Keep in mind this both pre cgi and also probably her 3rd act costume change.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The tweet went down, but the images live on:

I think my big question is... why is it so shiny? To catch light on the set?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

i’m down with the superhero costume & converse

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

mind the walrus posted:

I think my big question is... why is it so shiny? To catch light on the set?

yeah, I was a little thrown by the super shiny lightning bolt since it's never really seemed more than a yellow one to me in the comics, but it doesn't look bad overall. hopefully those are just her "between shoots" shoes and she does have the blue boots normally

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Ms. Marvel costume looks fine to me. Though I can't say I'm looking forward to the series, I guess I've just never been a fan of her since she's basically just Mr. Fantastic, but different. My heart only has room for the best stretchy super hero, Plastic Man

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I mean it looks good overall, and big ups for keeping the converse and figuring out how to do a domino mask-- I think that's an honest-to-god first in the MCU-- it's more just a few curiosities that keep it from being "Hell yeah."

They squared away Spider-Man by making him Iron Man Jr. for the most part. All of the fantastic detail and durability of his outfit is a lot easier to deal with when "oh it's Stark tech." Maybe Carol does a thing for Kamala with Kree fabric? I could dig that I guess, depending on how they do it.

The only two things that don't quite sit right with me are the shoulders and the silhouette lines of gold on her sides. The shoulders definitely ruin the idea that she's wearing an undershirt with a vest over it, which is part of the charm of the original look:

(I think they explain the stretching away by saying her nerd friend invented a solvent that makes fabric stretchy)

and the silhouette lines are something they do on superhero outfit to make the person look skinnier than they are. They're like these types of dresses:

And they work, there's no deep shame in having them. Loads of male heroes have them too... but even though I know it's foolish to expect otherwise I'm still going to be a bit depressed that the 15 year-old everygirl superheroine of the 21st Century has to have them too.

The shininess doesn't actually bug me either, in-fact I kind of like it as a way to delineate her as a kid the same way lots of kids wear bright high-vis colors so they're easy to spot when you're at the park or something, I'm more wondering why she's like that in the show itself.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

The only two things that don't quite sit right with me are the shoulders and the silhouette lines of gold on her sides. The shoulders definitely ruin the idea that she's wearing an undershirt with a vest over it, which is part of the charm of the original look:

I thought the outfit was supposed to look like a traditional Pakistani dress

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

In the comics it literally starts as a burkini that she was gifted as a teen but then never wore. She modifies it to be a disguise/supersuit.

It's a fairly blank slate type of one-piece costume, some have more flowing components and are more dress-like than others in the middle, but they are more form-fitting underneath and in the arms/legs.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's cool. I had totally forgotten about that. Definitely isn't how most artists draw her with it, but hey it's inconsequential. What matters is how it looks in motion. Most MCU outfits look goofy when the actors are standing around, but flow really well in motion.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Costume looks pretty legit to me.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

Lmao it's not directly to do with this, though Tiny Guns 2 is pretty bad, but because they're intimately associated with Black Rifle coffee co. BRCC are literal fascist sympathisers because among other things they sponsored a Ukrainian neo-nazi war crimimal from the Azov Battalion. Corridor and BRCC do promotion for each other and they regularly post together on social media, even Tiny Guns 2 was a collab. Their only response was around the Rittenhouse drama where the main guy said "it's my birthday I can't address this right now" and then quiet since then except for replying "gotta get my sheckles" to someone asking how they like the Nazi money on Reddit.

Edit:

Tiny guns is even worse than I remembered, there are hordes of suicide bombers that they defeat by dialling every number in the phone book to blow them up one by one before the soldiers literally go "HOORAH" and smile into the sunset

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 2, 2021

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Her powerset is so goofy I think I’d struggle taking it seriously in live action

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Collapsing Farts posted:

Her powerset is so goofy I think I’d struggle taking it seriously in live action

I struggle to take it seriously in the comics. But if they can pull it off it'll fun

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Azhais posted:

I struggle to take it seriously in the comics. But if they can pull it off it'll fun

I'm just wondering if one of her villains will defeat her when she stretch-reaches for them and they grab her arms and tie them together or something.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
My partner literally could not watch me play the Avengers game demo when that dropped because she found Kamala’s stretching and growing so viscerally unpleasant, so hopefully they figure something out for the show!

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

The problem with this show is that it fundamentally views the world from the point of a corporation, though one that is staffed by at least some thoughtful people.

Right and Left are represented by John Walker and Karli. It’s a reasonably well-written show so both are shown to be good in some ways and flawed in others, though the show does more directly sympathise with Karli’s ideology (though since Walker is also the status quo, it more inherently supports that side too). However, what actually happens with these two sides? Walker is wrong-headed and fucks up massively, but ultimately can be reasoned with, and is a force for good in the end. Meanwhile Karli moves further and further into extremism, kills, or tries to kill, a lot of people and eventually simply has to be put down.

Is this an accurate view of the two sides in America currently? Because BLM’s body count hovers pretty close to zero, while this January the right attempted a fascist coup that would murder congresspeople, end democracy and install a dictator. This threat has also not yet subsided. Precisely who is going Too Far at the moment? A truer view of American politics right now would have had John Walker so enraged at the slight against him from the system that he went to murder the GRC himself, even as they passed laws that agreed with him, and the Flag Smashers teamed up with Sam to take him down.

But the reason that didn’t happen is the corporation’s own fears and concerns. They might not terribly like it if fascism took over, but it probably wouldn’t effect Disney’s bottom line much if it did happen. Alternatively, there is a real chance that if the left got in power that they might enact extremist policies, like demanding the appropriate regulation and taxation of theme parks in Florida.

That said, it could have been worse. For instance, both FATWS and Wonder Woman 1984 are centrist works, the former at least acknowledges that serious reforms need to be made in the world, while the latter’s entire message is that everything is great now, we shouldn’t change anything, and in fact it’s wrong to want to.

Adding an even hotter take to it, the better time Karli thought of wasn't getting more work opportunities. It is realizing the capitalist system would double down on the Exploitation by making workers forced to give up certain labor rights for the sake of covering for labor shortfalls, and civil liberties suppressed under the excuse of restoring order that will totally come back after the disaster is over when you know it's here to stay.

Look at Hong Kong, India and Hungary and ask yourself if worldwide disaster will mean better things for humanity. That is what made Karli become a Flag Smasher was because she saw the poo poo governments did during the Snap and decided to fight back

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Collapsing Farts posted:

My problem with Stretchy heros is that Luffy from One Piece kinda clowns on them all with how inventive and exciting his stretchy powers are presented. I've never read Ms. Marvel so I hope they do some fun things with it. At least as good as Mrs. Incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Thundercracker posted:

My problem with Stretchy heros is that Luffy from One Piece kinda clowns on them all with how inventive and exciting his stretchy powers are presented. I've never read Ms. Marvel so I hope they do some fun things with it. At least as good as Mrs. Incredible.

Probably not. She mostly just makes her hands/feet bigger with some stretching.