Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Why, Tim? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Have to drive that engagement with Fitness+!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm ready to smash this loving watch. On and off all day trying to update then pair and it keeps loving up. Jesus christ. Just loving WORK!!!

E: Ok, it finally worked. Does Series 3 support custom Complications? I don't see the icon nor the app store icon on iOS app.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 28, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I was surprised that my S3 updated to 7.4 without problem. I had to unpair it like three times to get it to update to 7.3.3.

I imagine those Complications are for the larger screen models though, S3 is basically on life support I think.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Vintersorg posted:

I'm ready to smash this loving watch. On and off all day trying to update then pair and it keeps loving up. Jesus christ. Just loving WORK!!!

E: Ok, it finally worked. Does Series 3 support custom Complications? I don't see the icon nor the app store icon on iOS app.

IIRC that's from a super old version, the app store is no longer integrated into the watch apps, complications are configured per face.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hmm, I probably just can't use some of these faces in the Carrot thing. I can only click 2 and they bring me to the watch app and the others dont.

Maybe time to upgrade this year. I can get $80 CAD for my S3 which is fine or get like $150+ on FB market place which is even better (pricing is all over the place in my city).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Since 14.5, I didn't get the low battery heads up or switch to low power consumption (I just happened to notice it was at 3%) nor did it seem to kick into bedtime mode as usual. Not a great start.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The worst loving thing is after bedtime, you go to check the time, you see nothing on the screen. You put your arm down and bring it back up just in case the screen didn't activate. You tap the screen, nothing. You click the crown, nothing. poo poo, is the battery dead? Oh no, it's just 11:02pm, now I have to turn the wheel just to see the drat time.

Super annoying, would not recommend.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A tap on the screen wakes it for me with sleep mode on, maybe you're holding it wrong??

It's just the simple night mode clock at that point though, not the normal watch face.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I have it on the charger on my night stand I just gently whack the side of the night stand to make the time display. It’s a pretty brilliant use of the accelerometer there by Apple.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah that's not my experience at all with bedtime mode. Do you have theater mode turned on?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

No theatre mode. Odd, I'll have to try it again.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yeah, tapping always works for me on an S3. It’s a very dim screen but it’s just basically nothing but the time in large font.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

if anything it's *too* sensitive during bedtime mode imo

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The worst loving thing is after bedtime, you go to check the time, you see nothing on the screen. You put your arm down and bring it back up just in case the screen didn't activate. You tap the screen, nothing. You click the crown, nothing. poo poo, is the battery dead? Oh no, it's just 11:02pm, now I have to turn the wheel just to see the drat time.

Super annoying, would not recommend.
It's annoying (especially as a night owl) but yeah, as others said the tapping should work, albeit only for the dim big time only display. Still gotta spin the wheel to get the normal watch face/functionality.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Endless Mike posted:

if anything it's *too* sensitive during bedtime mode imo

Yeah it seems like even loud noises turn it on, although I guess it could have wiggled the nightstand (dropped a book on the other side of the bed and it turned on the display)

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Have the Carrot complications gotten any better at updating frequently? I stopped using them a while ago since they were usually pretty behind.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Fartington Butts posted:

Have the Carrot complications gotten any better at updating frequently? I stopped using them a while ago since they were usually pretty behind.

Also interested in this, I found I kept having to "bump" them so just switched back to default weather.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
After updating to 14.5 I'm having issues with siri, it will works with first party commands (send a message to X) but not third party ones (send a message using telegram to X). Is that standard behaviour? The same commands works fine on iPhone or iPad.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

priznat posted:

Also interested in this, I found I kept having to "bump" them so just switched back to default weather.

Yeah as I recall they were the one of the few that had the Weather Conditions _and_ the temp in a small widget which is what I wanted, but it would not update often enough so I switched to the default weather's temp only.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
How do you turn off those stupid achievement things anyway.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

AW7 rumored to track blood glucose, blood pressure, and BAC.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/03/apple-watch-blood-pressure-glucose-alcohol/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oh man I'd love to see the disclaimers and poo poo you gotta agree to for the BAC. I'm sure Apple doesn't want to get sued because some idiot got popped for a DUI despite the watch saying they were under the limit.

The glucose one is the game changer though. Never having to prick your finger or buy the test strips and reader is huge.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

IR based blood glucose has been a thing companies have been chasing for 20 years, just google "non invasive glucose infrared" to see papers going back to the 90's. While I have no doubts that they'll do it eventually, there are companies who's entire business model is built around monitoring blood sugar and they're still relying on stabbing people to get their information because it's the only option we have to satisfy the regulatory requirements (ie, is the data trustworthy).

And the company that does it is some startup who's first product to market is going to be in an Apple watch? I'm pretty skeptical.. this thing is gonna have so many "do not make treatment decisions" warnings on it that it might as well not exist.

There's also the problem that the watch sensor reliability is influenced by body fat, and has hurt the accuracy of the O2 sensor. Some morbidly obese type 2 diabetic is gonna slap this watch on and get perfect readings and then die in a coma.

Again it will be awesome if they do it but I am super skeptical.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah I read that article and it does seem fishy. It reminded me of that company that was supposed to make the sapphire displays for phones (which never happened). They over-promised and their product was crap. Apple went "see ya later" and the company was hosed lmao.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Oh man I'd love to see the disclaimers and poo poo you gotta agree to for the BAC. I'm sure Apple doesn't want to get sued because some idiot got popped for a DUI despite the watch saying they were under the limit.

The glucose one is the game changer though. Never having to prick your finger or buy the test strips and reader is huge.
I can't imagine them touching BAC for those reasons, even if the hardware might be fully capable of it.

xzzy posted:

And the company that does it is some startup who's first product to market is going to be in an Apple watch?
The way I'd look at it is "the company trying to pull it off is Apple" rather than necessarily the startup. Not that the latter isn't, but they don't have the resources of Apple, who is probably also working with whoever/whatever people/companies possible to make it happen. All that said,

quote:

The company's filings said that Apple accounted for the majority of its revenue over the last two years and that it has an ongoing "supply and development agreement" with the company, under which it expects to continue to heavily rely on Apple for most of its revenue.
All that says to me is that they've been working on the problem with them for two years. The watch could come out soon if they solved it...or just they keep working on it indefinitely until they do. If they're the key and solve it I kinda imagine Apple would just buy them, or ditch them and do their own thing if possible.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah I read that article and it does seem fishy. It reminded me of that company that was supposed to make the sapphire displays for phones (which never happened). They over-promised and their product was crap. Apple went "see ya later" and the company was hosed lmao.

That one GTAT thread of meltdowns is probably the greatest schadenfreude thread ever.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Having BAC tracked in the Health app would make for some interesting researchkit study ideas (or rather, checking my drunkeness levels over the months myself and correlating it with events)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s also going to measure your kitchen sink for you too!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Blood glucose, even if not entirely accurate, would probably an interesting metric to have when managing one's diet.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

LowOnCyan posted:

Yeah as I recall they were the one of the few that had the Weather Conditions _and_ the temp in a small widget which is what I wanted, but it would not update often enough so I switched to the default weather's temp only.

I'm using the "Text Forecast" widget from Carrot with no issues. I admit I have had the updating issue with Dark Sky widgets in the past but I'm not sure how I solved it, other than rebooting everything and hoping for the best.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeh, I think it’s a roadmap more than a Series 7 prediction. IIRC there were pictures of Tim Cook strolling around Apple Park with a prototype watch wearing a separate glucose meter 2-3 years ago.

As a Carrot user that has 1 stock and 1 custom complication, I can say the update ability is solidly “meh” to this day.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Man, imagine the drinking games that'll be had if everyone at the table knew their BAC. They won't do it, it's WAY too irresponsible.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I had a few friends who lived in Germany and they apparently put breathalyzers in the parking garages over there. That turned into a drinking on its own.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Man, imagine the drinking games that'll be had if everyone at the table knew their BAC. They won't do it, it's WAY too irresponsible.
I don't need to imagine. My friend bought a breathalyzer and brought it out one night.

But also we have public transit and cabs and such, so drinking and driving isn't a huge concern.

But also yeah it doesn't seem like a great idea for Apple.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

TraderStav posted:

My guess is if they have a BAC feature at all, it won’t give you a number. Probably just an “intoxicated: yes” that shows up at like .04% or something. Maybe it’ll let you see the number in the health app the next day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best case it detects your phone connecting to carplay and throwing a shitfit about trying to drive while intoxicated.Then if it detects speeding or swerving it calls the police on your dumb rear end.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Medical researchers have developed TAC bands that work with apple watches and could probably work with any smart watch that could run the software, but I can't imagine apple building that feature into the base watch. you can see what they are looking towards in apple watches if you scroll down to the mock images https://europepmc.org/article/PMC/6407881

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am trying to go on more walks and the AirPods work great for this. However, I wish that Apple Watch allowed you to stream from more apps by themselves.

While I download a book in audible and podcasts in Overwatch, I would love to be able to stream SiriusXM or Amazon Music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am trying to go on more walks and the AirPods work great for this. However, I wish that Apple Watch allowed you to stream from more apps by themselves.

While I download a book in audible and podcasts in Overwatch, I would love to be able to stream SiriusXM or Amazon Music.

The only music apps that I know stream so far for music are Pandora, Spotify, and the obvious Apple Music. For Podcasts, Pocket Casts does do streaming.

Spotify is pretty wack with it right now though, glad they have a Watch app but once you go out and only have the watch streaming it'll only show the last 20 things you listened to or something. You can't view albums in your library or anything, at least not all of them.