Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DarkHorse posted:

Data Search/Digestion
I have data irritable bowel syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

OwlFancier posted:

I think trying to go that fast in one would be absolutely terrifying.

Like "oh god the wheels are going to come off" type poo poo.

It's not that bad, but god help you if there's a bump.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Groda posted:

It's not that bad, but god help you if there's a bump.

That's still pretty impressive though. The original Beetle was about the same weight and could barely get above 60mph.

Most modern cars have speed limiters anyway because the standard tires on there would explode if they let the car go as fast as it could.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's still pretty impressive though. The original Beetle was about the same weight and could barely get above 60mph.

Most modern cars have speed limiters anyway because the standard tires on there would explode if they let the car go as fast as it could.
I got my shitbox Jazz/Fit to 170km/h or over 100mph and it was surprisingly fine if a bit nosy. All notions of fuel economy go right out the window though even with the 1.3l engine

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is in the owner's manual.

speaking of car manuals, i had a ford taurus with a manual that said "driving 65 mph uses 10% more fuel than driving 55 mph" in a section trying to tell you to drive slower to save gas. i have always wanted to know how that sentence got written and approved for publication. not just for the obvious reason, but also because 65 mph was the sweet spot for getting the most miles per gallon out of that car

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

I call dibs

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Splicer posted:

That must give you terrible datarrhea.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ariong posted:

That must give you terrible datarrhea.

Makes it hard to keep a firm log

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Lutha Mahtin posted:

speaking of car manuals, i had a ford taurus with a manual that said "driving 65 mph uses 10% more fuel than driving 55 mph" in a section trying to tell you to drive slower to save gas. i have always wanted to know how that sentence got written and approved for publication. not just for the obvious reason, but also because 65 mph was the sweet spot for getting the most miles per gallon out of that car
What year? Federal speed limit was 55 from 1974-1995 with an optional rural option up to 65 from 1987-1995. It was so widely ignored there was tons of outreach including getting car manufacturers to emphasize 55 on the speedo and in the manuals.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

zedprime posted:

What year? Federal speed limit was 55 from 1974-1995 with an optional rural option up to 65 from 1987-1995. It was so widely ignored there was tons of outreach including getting car manufacturers to emphasize 55 on the speedo and in the manuals.

The shittiest was when they made it illegal for speedometers to read out any higher than 85.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ferrari from that era.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Elviscat posted:

Ferrari from that era.

"Sir, do you know how fast you were going?"
"Actually,..."

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Captain Hygiene posted:

"Actually,..."

"I am legally not allowed to know how fast I was going."

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

zedprime posted:

it was an early 00s model year, so i don't think the really old "drive 55" campaign was still part of the reasoning for that manual

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Look, the Heisenberg Uncertaintity Principle says you either know exactly where you are or exactly how fast you're going but never both at once. It's a fundamental law of physics.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I never actually knew they were limited to 85 by law. Huh.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Can I put lay out the dial so that “50” is right at the top, “0” is right at the bottom, and the gap between “85” and “0” is sixty‐three and a half degrees? Then let the needle just continue right around so that “20” could be twenty miles per hour or one hundred and twenty or two hundred and twenty.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Platystemon posted:

Can I put lay out the dial so that “50” is right at the top, “0” is right at the bottom, and the gap between “85” and “0” is sixty‐three and a half degrees? Then let the needle just continue right around so that “20” could be twenty miles per hour or one hundred and twenty or two hundred and twenty.

Officer I swear, I was going 25

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

I never actually knew they were limited to 85 by law. Huh.

A lot of cars are also manufactured with a "governor" device that is designed to limit the top speed of the vehicle. Sometimes this device is there because of local laws, other times it is because the manufacturer has some business reason to include it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_(device)

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Captain Hygiene posted:

"Actually,..."

I got pulled over in high school for going....92? My car was an old 84 thunderbird, And I had to have this exact conversation.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

A lot of cars are also manufactured with a "governor" device that is designed to limit the top speed of the vehicle. Sometimes this device is there because of local laws, other times it is because the manufacturer has some business reason to include it.

Governors, as a discrete device, aren't really a thing anymore since almost every car has an electronic engine controller that can just be programmed with a speed limit. And they are, usually to whatever speed the tires the car comes with are rated for.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The German luxury automakers discovered that they could build monstrously powerful cars, electronically limit them to 155 mph, then charge extra to take the limiter off.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

A whole lot of interesting techniques were used after the "speed wars" between Japanese motorcycle manufacturers, basically the Japanese government said "stop dickwaving about top speed" and the various manufacturers all used different methods so that noone could claim which bike was fastest, from blanking the speedometer above a certain speed, to electronic limiters, to nothing, but claiming the bike's top speed was that of "the agreement" (170MPH IIRC)

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I got pulled over in high school for going....92? My car was an old 84 thunderbird, And I had to have this exact conversation.

Hey I had an 84 thunderbird too! Goddamn that thing was a turd. 5L V8 making what like 150hp? Ugh, couldn't even get that thing to spin the tires when in the wet. But it did teach me the importance of parking competently so I could actually open the huge rear end door wide enough to get out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Volvos are all made with a 160kph limiter now, AFAIK.

Phanatic posted:

The shittiest was when they made it illegal for speedometers to read out any higher than 85.

When you're going fast, does the exact speed even really matter?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I had a car once where the speedometer actually had an electronic problem that made it read out like fifteenish mph slower than it was going. Got a rundown from the garage and everything. Didn't help me with the speeding ticket, they said I should have been gauging off other traffic. If I had I'd have been going fifty over

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

KozmoNaut posted:

When this car hits... slightly above the speedometer's limit, you're gonna see some serious poo poo.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Elviscat posted:

A whole lot of interesting techniques were used after the "speed wars" between Japanese motorcycle manufacturers, basically the Japanese government said "stop dickwaving about top speed" and the various manufacturers all used different methods so that noone could claim which bike was fastest, from blanking the speedometer above a certain speed, to electronic limiters, to nothing, but claiming the bike's top speed was that of "the agreement" (170MPH IIRC)

In Europe there became this kind of fear about bikes so fast the cops couldn't catch them etc around the time of the Honda Super Blackbird and the magic number was 300 kph (so about 185 mph). So after that there were just a rash of bikes with a listed top speed of 299 kph, because obviously that's fine.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I literally yelled "gently caress you" at the screen so gj

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

OwlFancier posted:

Turn on your monitor.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Lutha Mahtin posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_(device)

I should clarify that I meant the speedometers, not the cars themselves; it was more that it suddenly made sense as to why most of the older vehicles I've been in topped out there, while any of the more modern ones tend to have arbitrary maximums.

E: nothing's quite as funny as seeing 150mph or higher on a speedometer. Make half the range useless, sure.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

KozmoNaut posted:

Volvos are all made with a 160kph limiter now, AFAIK.

Fun fact: if I had been going 95 in that highschool speeding incident, I would have gone straight to jail (at least that’s what they told me)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That illustration was funnier when I thought that the character’s left ear was his melty left eye.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I love that the last one says a very understated "not beneficial for skin or eyes" when the diagram is showing it piercing the cartoon man entirely and coming out the other side.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
thankfully they sell firearm laser sight mounts that fit their 6000mW laser, ensuring that it is never improperly pointed at anything

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Why not mount the big laser in the 10kw range on a stick? If it's punching though skin and bone who needs bullets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Outrail posted:

Why not mount the big laser in the 10kw range on a stick? If it's punching though skin and bone who needs bullets?

Usually higher powered lasers take far too much power to be practical as weapons. Particularly as portable weapons.