Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah it's a fair cop, I tend to only hear ads for other podcasts cause I'm in Canada so I don't really get the security system ads and whatnot and am dreadfully ignorant in that regard

it's not like there's really an ethical source of income under capitalism so w/e. it's an awful lot of money but eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Why would anyone not just skip the commercials? I have no idea what Robert or any of the podcasts I listen to shill.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Eh the chapos say some stupid poo poo sometimes but they’ve never personally appealed to me to by a home security system service so maybe we’ll say sixes? Lmao

I love that you think you’re somehow fighting capitalism by being obsessed with Rob’s ad reads. Corporate America has convinced you’re a radical leftist by LARPing one on the internet. You do nothing but alienate the people you should consider allies. You are fractious and toxic, convinced that it somehow makes you morally superior. You’re utterly hollow and ineffectual and completely up your own rear end about it.

Worse, you’re repetitive and boring. ‘lmao’, indeed.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Why would anyone not just skip the commercials? I have no idea what Robert or any of the podcasts I listen to shill.

I usually listen to podcasts while cooking/cleaning/driving/gardening/etc... so it’s not always particularly convenient to stop what I’m doing to skip ads. It is what it is

That said, the guy who’s monetizing his reputation and personality to bring in close to half a million in a year is what it is, but if nothing else it’s worth commenting on and considering, especially in light of someone who seeks to sway opinions and influence people :shrug: I think it’s kind of funny how much pushback that observation gets because it feels self evident but what do I know, you do you

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I did buy a ridge wallet this weekend

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Danger posted:

I did buy a ridge wallet this weekend

I keep my money in an old mylar Pop Tart wrapper.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I keep my money in an old mylar Pop Tart wrapper.

I got mine at one of those stores for fat men. Anyway how is the new episode? I haven’t listened yet.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I got mine at one of those stores for fat men. Anyway how is the new episode? I haven’t listened yet.

It’s about a gynecologist that surgically mutilated women’s genitals without their consent to make them more receptive to men who are bad at sex. It’s a real Gold Star, to steal a LPOtL reference.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I usually listen to podcasts while cooking/cleaning/driving/gardening/etc... so it’s not always particularly convenient to stop what I’m doing to skip ads. It is what it is

That said, the guy who’s monetizing his reputation and personality to bring in close to half a million in a year is what it is, but if nothing else it’s worth commenting on and considering, especially in light of someone who seeks to sway opinions and influence people :shrug: I think it’s kind of funny how much pushback that observation gets because it feels self evident but what do I know, you do you

Because as stated your observation is never stated in a manner that is anything other than abrasive and lovely, because you want to dunk on all of us who are daring to enjoy things

But then again like any good online leftist, if you aren’t alienating half the people already on your side through purity testing and condescension, you’re not doing your job, right

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Curious where the money is coming from cause it ain’t the journalism

https://mobile.twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1387868369756512261

selling 80% lowers made of highly compressed kratom

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

rotinaj posted:

Because as stated your observation is never stated in a manner that is anything other than abrasive and lovely, because you want to dunk on all of us who are daring to enjoy things

But then again like any good online leftist, if you aren’t alienating half the people already on your side through purity testing and condescension, you’re not doing your job, right

to be honest their posts came across as far less annoying and condescending than yours

Bob is making mid 6 figures a year, he doesn't need you to sprint bawling to his defense every time someone rephrases "lol at being a millionaire anarchist" as though it was an attack on you personally for listening to a podcast

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

An episode about Something Awful and Lowtax specifically would honestly be extremely worth listening to

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

blunt for century posted:

An episode about Something Awful and Lowtax specifically would honestly be extremely worth listening to

I don't know if that would be entertaining or just sad

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Marsupial Ape posted:

It’s about a gynecologist that surgically mutilated women’s genitals without their consent to make them more receptive to men who are bad at sex. It’s a real Gold Star, to steal a LPOtL reference.

yeah its pretty hosed up. i am on part 2 now. assholes like him are always the most fascinating in a hosed up way. like you can see how he thinks he is the good guy in all of this horror poo poo but he is such a weird narsstic mysoginistic gently caress that even while spewing "sex positive" poo poo, he sounds more reactionary than some weird evangelical prude.

Buggalo
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, the latest episode hit me hard because my mom is from Dayton and had me in 1988 in Kettering. She could have easily been one of his patients.

Definitely had to take a break when Robert started talking about the specifics of the “improvements”, Christ what a bastard.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Buggalo posted:

Yeah, the latest episode hit me hard because my mom is from Dayton and had me in 1988 in Kettering. She could have easily been one of his patients.

Definitely had to take a break when Robert started talking about the specifics of the “improvements”, Christ what a bastard.

i am at the point where he is talking about his gross book. jesus gently caress that dude is loving creep.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah seriously. When the first episode started I was like 'oh gross it's gonna be some husband stitch bullshit' but no that's where it started and it only got worse.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Buggalo posted:

I had the same reaction for the episode involving the birth control device that loving destroyed women's vaginas. I was on the bus at the time going to work and I had to stop it because of how awful it all was.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

my salary at iheartradio is $400,000 per year. the show is extremely successful and makes a lot on ad revenue. i'm fairly open about that because i think it's important, particularly for my colleagues when they negotiate for deals. i make very little at bellingcat. i was unemployed for much of 2017 and 2018. my initial salary at iheart was much lower, but then all my shows made a lot of money and i negotiated for a better deal.

i feel better about taking add money than begging people for money who may not have much to give. my last experience with crowdfunding, when i was broke, involved folks saying stuff like "i gave you ten bucks now and i'm broke until payday but I'll give you more then" and that made me feel terrible. chapo folks make six figures a month on patreon, and good for them. we all have to make choices, and capitalism doesn't offer us a lot of simple ones. i made the choice to go with ads.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

neongrey posted:

Yeah seriously. When the first episode started I was like 'oh gross it's gonna be some husband stitch bullshit' but no that's where it started and it only got worse.

yeah. its was pretty loving rough. for a lighter sexual episode, rob mentioned the Comstock laws and now i want an episode on anthony comstock : America's ultimate prude. dude tried to ban classic art and medical text books because tits and dicks.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

As someone from Ohio Robert needs to be meaner to Ohio

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

I've never forgiven Ohio for the 2016 RNC.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

GunFondler42069 posted:

my salary at iheartradio is $400,000 per year. the show is extremely successful and makes a lot on ad revenue. i'm fairly open about that because i think it's important, particularly for my colleagues when they negotiate for deals. i make very little at bellingcat. i was unemployed for much of 2017 and 2018. my initial salary at iheart was much lower, but then all my shows made a lot of money and i negotiated for a better deal.

i feel better about taking add money than begging people for money who may not have much to give. my last experience with crowdfunding, when i was broke, involved folks saying stuff like "i gave you ten bucks now and i'm broke until payday but I'll give you more then" and that made me feel terrible. chapo folks make six figures a month on patreon, and good for them. we all have to make choices, and capitalism doesn't offer us a lot of simple ones. i made the choice to go with ads.

I think this is an important attitude. I'm a partner in my business now but when I was salaried there were employers keen to stop people discussing their salaries purely to stop negotiations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Bosses and management actively suppress salary talks illegally for Reasons, which again, super illegal in the US.

I make 38k USD before taxes, however this is in Swedish funny money and not actual currency. COL sucks (because the disaster that is Stockholm is not being taken care of because gently caress the poor) and I’ve been index matched for my salary once, and like the saddest little raise once. I am the lowest paid person in my office despite being one of the most senior members and this is compared to the other staff members base salaries - as I don’t earn any commission. Everyone else who has higher base salaries do.

I like my role a lot, it’s highly specialized for my company, but the pay is comedic compared to what I do. I’ve actively pushed back on assisting with IT because of it, gently caress you, pay me. I finally got to have 80% working from home to ease the commuter costs (I live the farthest away from the office and pay the most in public transit). Still, if it wasn’t for Covid, I’d have been gone earlier, instead of just deciding to stay here even longer.

No one in my office discusses pay. Next yearly review I get (which I haven’t had in two years? An illegal amount of time I believe) I’m bringing up my pay. They’ve had several specialized staff members do similarly, ask for a reasonable raise, get denied, the staff member leaves, and poo poo hits the fan. I’m down to do similarly.

And it sucks because I love my role, even if it’s loving bonkers at times. But like, most of us are insanely underpaid no matter where we are. Talk about your salary.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Anyway is there a dick doctor who mutilates dicks

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

teen witch posted:

They just did the Kellogg episode

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If there's ever a Dollop/Behind the Bastards crossover it should be about Dave Anthony's dad.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

RandomPauI posted:

If there's ever a Dollop/Behind the Bastards crossover it should be about Dave Anthony's dad.

The higher Dave Anthony’s whining and keening gets, the more I sympathize with his father.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

teen witch posted:

there was already the episode about that doctor who fuckin ruined trans surgeries so that's a lot of mangled dicks right there

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

teen witch posted:

i mean kellog to some degree and that doctor who hurt a ton of transwomen.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Did Robert do the guy that surgically implanted goat balls into dude’s scrotums?

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

oh yes.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
place your bets: Duggars Vs. Phelps

whoever wins we lose

E: hilariously wrong thread, but the books are still open

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
There's certainly an argument for a Quiverfull movement episode. Ten seconds into Wikipedia diving brought me to Mary Pride and Jesus god is there a lot to unpack there.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

I actually wrote an article on the Quiverfull movement years ago, with a source who has since become one of my best friends.

https://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1320-5-insane-lessons-from-my-christian-fundamentalist-childhood.html

They're doing great now but they had to deal with some real poo poo in their childhood.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

A Duggar episode could be good, a lot of people likely only know them as the wacky family with a lot of kids and not the nightmare they actually are.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
As someone who didn't know how much they were being screwed until their coworkers started talking about unionizing... talk about your loving salaries.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

After The War posted:

As someone who didn't know how much they were being screwed until their coworkers started talking about unionizing... talk about your loving salaries.

I feel like this is a very American thing. I know exactly how much everyone I work with is getting paid, and how much people in the same job at other companies are getting as well. It's a small industry so with a few degrees of separation everyone knows everyone and no one wants to see their friends get screwed

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

GunFondler42069 posted:

Yeah definitely the iheartradio ad revenue and nothing to do with the fact that you work at an outfit of the Atlantic Council/NATO and shill their positions on the regular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's always the CSPAM posters.