Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Now Dallas? THATS a world class city!!

God we wish it was true so bad lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

miami is even more extremely "only good if you're rich" than NYC and LA

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Oklahoma City is a great american city

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Oklahoma City is a great american city

thats-bait.gif

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Are we talking about Miami Oklahoma, Missouri, New Mexico, Arizona, Indiana, Missouri, West Virginia, or the 5 towns in Ohio?

Texas has a lot of split attention. I think the city people outside of Texas know the most about is Austin, but it's not a very big city and its profile is probably more because of the media Austin has access to rather than anything else, much like how most of people's awareness about LA is just the entertainment industry. Houston is the biggest city, and even one of the biggest cities in the dang country, but it doesn't seem to come up much outside of its relation to NASA. Dallas I think is the one that people around the country are most likely to actually to be taught about in school, and it's a pretty big city, but it's not like anybody knows about any local flavor (in fact, I'm not sure I know much about its local flavor), and practically nobody knows that it's pretty tightly linked with a whole other city in a whole metroplex system that includes the theme park with the dancing old man commercial.

I think the overall strength state identity overcomes any of the city identities in people's minds, in a reverse of New York.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the city people outside of Texas know the most about is Austin, but it's not a very big city

Austin has the 10th or 11th highest population of any US city. It isn't New York but it is a big city by most measures.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Austin has the 10th or 11th highest population of any US city. It isn't New York but it is a big city by most measures.

That still makes it a small city in Texas.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The Austin metro area is around the same size as Miami, but I think Miami wins because it isn't infested with Californians

SlothfulCobra posted:

Dallas I think is the one that people around the country are most likely to actually to be taught about in school, and it's a pretty big city, but it's not like anybody knows about any local flavor (in fact, I'm not sure I know much about its local flavor)

The city spent the entirety of the 70s, 80s, and 90s aggressively squashing any local flavor in favor of attracting business, which made it the bland office park surrounded by a ring of wine mom neighborhoods it is today

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How do you guys feel about Sanchez (D) getting kicked out of the TX-06 runoff?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Manager Hoyden posted:

The Austin metro area is around the same size as Miami, but I think Miami wins because it isn't infested with Californians

Beats being infested by an army of rich geriatrics.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe local flavor was what killed Kennedy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'd rather eat lead than most of what Dallas considers trendy food so

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SlothfulCobra posted:

in a manner of speaking, yes

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

i'd imagine people associate dallas with the cowboys and not much else

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Doctor Teeth posted:

i'd imagine people associate dallas with the cowboys and not much else

Also JFK, but I can't think of a third thing.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Khizan posted:

Also JFK, but I can't think of a third thing.

TV show

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

lol christ

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Manager Hoyden posted:

It’s infested with Floridians instead!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

hes been down here a few times, hes a cool dude

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/1389179529172713481

I'm officially immune as of yesterday, is anyone still having trouble finding shots?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/1389179529172713481

I'm officially immune as of yesterday, is anyone still having trouble finding shots?

Hell no. Where I got my shot is now offering same-day, walk-up appointments.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Remember when Rick Perry required girls to get a HPV vaccine? And how HPV doesn't suffocate you to death a week after you get it?

Why can't we have that happen again?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

jokes posted:

Remember when Rick Perry required girls to get a HPV vaccine? And how HPV doesn't suffocate you to death a week after you get it?

1. Because it's important that cervical cancer remain as a negative consequence of sex because sex is bad and it's better that women get cancer than have sex outside of wedlock
2. Because Perry's wife was closely connected to the company and he was probably only pushing it for corrupt reasons

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Greg needs to get one of his family to marry into the Pfizer board I guess

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I got my second vaccination last week at the motor speedway. I accidentally showed up on wednesday because I was reading the text from the first shot and there was nobody there, I guess they were closed because they were worried about the coming hail. but I showed up the next morning and got my vaccine while it was still wet out.

And they tell you the second vaccine can hit you harder, but I wasn't expecting the massive fever it gave me the next morning. Jeez. And then there was a headache that came back the next day even after the fever was gone. And I'm not really sure if I'm feeling at my prime now either, because it all blurs together with how muggy and humid the weather has been. It's weird. I don't know whether it was good or bad that the one day I had a severe fever was the one day that the weather was actually cold.

jokes posted:

Because their pisslord decreed that the pandemic was a conspiracy against him, and even though he's definitively fallen from grace, all of their political base already got rolling on their own wave of pro-disease junk, and nobody in the party is going to try stopping them for the sake of humanity in general.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I had a pretty bad headache and I felt malaised but my worst sideeffect was how bad my arm hurt. I couldn't lift it above shoulder level without real pain.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I just had my second dose on Saturday. Couldn't sleep all night because of the arm pain. Spent all of Sunday with massive joint pain, especially in my legs. It's subsiding today, but my back is still really tense.
Never had a fever.

It really feels like one of those awful 24 flus that completely knocks you out, and your boss is thinking you are taking it, but there is nothing worth going to the doctor for.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RobertTGarrett/status/1389266532274954250

Hegar's going to revise the BRE up like 50% lol

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
up up UP!!! to the mooooooooooooon!!

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

How do you guys feel about Sanchez (D) getting kicked out of the TX-06 runoff?

Sad. Now I have to watch that fucker Ellzey on yard signs and tv ads wear his formal navy whites and listen to Wright whine about her dead husband and the beautiful perfect endorsement she received from Trump for another 60 days.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

1. Because it's important that cervical cancer remain as a negative consequence of sex because sex is bad and it's better that women get cancer than have sex outside of wedlock
2. Because Perry's wife was closely connected to the company and he was probably only pushing it for corrupt reasons

So it was a case of broken clock politics, right twice a day.

edit: i came here to see what people thought of the Austin homeless camping ban and well, seems to be, meh, it was inevitable. I have family and friends in Austin and they had all had enough of that little experiment.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 3, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think it was "Get rid of the tents" vs "Get rid of the tents but replace them with an actual, sustainable plan to aid the homeless" but that wasn't on the ballot so you just had to vote no because it's hosed up to criminalize being homeless. But no one thought that public camping was a good solution, just that it was better than police constantly harassing people.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think that's correct. It looks like ~43% voted against reinstating the ban so if an alternative had been on the ballot it would have had a chance.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

quote:

UT/TT poll: Majority of Texans oppose permitless carry, would ban police chokeholds and taxpayer-funded lobbying

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/03/texas-voters-legislature-poll/

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The ban on taxpayer funded lobbying is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever seen from the Texas Legislature.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's all to protect people from their own elected officials. Only state government is legitimate: federals are tyrants and locals are rubes or liberals.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1389563760906539010

How is Cornyn the least popular elected official in Texas? The attorney general is nakedly corrupt! Ted Cruz very publicly fled the state in the middle of a crisis?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is it fair to say Ted Cruz fled "the state" and not "DC"? How many days of his career has Ted Cruz spent in Texas, actually?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1389563760906539010

How is Cornyn the least popular elected official in Texas? The attorney general is nakedly corrupt! Ted Cruz very publicly fled the state in the middle of a crisis?

Cornyn's in the uncanny valley of right-wing awfulness, just obnoxious enough to offend most non-Republicans and yet not obnoxious enough to fully satisfy the chuds. At least Ted understands now that if you're gonna make a career entirely out of "owning the libs", you've got to do it with gusto and verve or not at all. (Though Ted realized that a bit too late to really maximize his potential, and he'll never do it as well as Trump or the guy who will take over from Trump, which will not be Ted Cruz.)

The Paxton one is the most embarrassing, seems you can be the most openly corrupt* attorney general in the country and the vast majority of the state hasn't even heard about you or doesn't give a poo poo as long as you're partisan enough.

* shoutout to the South Dakota AG who mowed down a pedestrian, fled to evade a sobriety test, and claimed he thought he hit an animal despite the dead guy's glasses being found in his car

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 4, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/elainaplott/status/1389572803331043328

Elaina Plott, a bad reporter who has been caught multiple times interviewing "swing voters skeptical of Democrats" who turned out to be GOP party operatives or indeed even former elected officials, publishes this gawking look at the Republican civil war in Texas on a day when TT releases a poll showing Abbott with 77% support among republicans. This is basically exactly the kind of article about Texas that yankees want to read. gently caress off back to New York City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

a lot of the "republican civil war" stuff seems like wishful thinking by democrats