Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mediaphage posted:

nope

but i don't put much salt in the tomato sauce, either, and proscuitto is fairly salty by its lonesome. i find the discussion fascinating because i've literally never had anyone suggest that the pies i make are too salty (not being defensive, i'm very open to criticism)

Mine only get salty when I can't find my preferred tomatoes and cheese (this tends to be what messes it up and makes it too salty). I use between 1-2% salt though depending on what I'm planning for toppings. I don't add any salt to the tomatoes unless they're my home canned stuff as I use acid and heat to can preserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mediaphage posted:

nope

but i don't put much salt in the tomato sauce, either, and proscuitto is fairly salty by its lonesome. i find the discussion fascinating because i've literally never had anyone suggest that the pies i make are too salty (not being defensive, i'm very open to criticism)

It's pretty hard to get open criticism about pizza when you're making GBS threads out pizza left and right for people. If it looks like a real pizza, and it tastes like a real pizza, then they'll be impressed with it for a long time. I had pretty consistent guests every few weekends that only after a lot of prodding begrudgingly said they prefer a more New York style to a Neapolitan style that I had been making... for the previous two years.

This might be a side effect of having a lot of computer touchers as friends.

I toned back the saltiness of my cheese when the pizzas were getting eaten slower and got comments like "I think I'm getting older or something."

My wife, on the other hand, is too open. Then again, she wants a crunchy bottom crust you get by running the pizza over a conveyor belt through an oven in the mall.

I remember a few years back that I had made a 3% salt dough for an early introductory run of (at the time) this new oven and I personally couldn't handle a taste of the dough I made before investing a lot more time and effort into it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It's pretty hard to get open criticism about pizza when you're making GBS threads out pizza left and right for people. If it looks like a real pizza, and it tastes like a real pizza, then they'll be impressed with it for a long time. I had pretty consistent guests every few weekends that only after a lot of prodding begrudgingly said they prefer a more New York style to a Neapolitan style that I had been making... for the previous two years.

This might be a side effect of having a lot of computer touchers as friends.

I toned back the saltiness of my cheese when the pizzas were getting eaten slower and got comments like "I think I'm getting older or something."

My wife, on the other hand, is too open. Then again, she wants a crunchy bottom crust you get by running the pizza over a conveyor belt through an oven in the mall.

I remember a few years back that I had made a 3% salt dough for an early introductory run of (at the time) this new oven and I personally couldn't handle a taste of the dough I made before investing a lot more time and effort into it.

loool

i have a thing going where i basically give half of everything i bake to the neighbours and get some feedback.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

mediaphage posted:

loool

i have a thing going where i basically give half of everything i bake to the neighbours and get some feedback.

This is a pro strategy for maintaining good neighbourly relations. Unless you keep murdering them with hypertension.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

better than us dying of obesity!

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Malefitz posted:

I...I did it.
I'm so happy right now I can't wait for this thing to arrive!

A seemingly endless wait later and I can finally get my hands on this bad boy. My Effeuno is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow! Rejoice!

StarkingBarfish posted:

(...) normally just before I launch a pie I'll turn the thermostat to 500 for the duration of the cook to make sure the element stays on, then drop it back to 470 while prepping the next pie.

Are you still baking your Pizzas with this temperature? Turn both elements to 470°C during heat up and then for cooking crank them up to 500°C?
Or have you refined your approach since you first wrote this?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mediaphage posted:

loool

I have a funny neighbor story. Going back three neighbor generations ago, a couple were staying with my neighbor for awhile and decided to show some thanks by building her a wood-fried oven. They went with a cylindrical oven out of brick. I had not yet started on my new oven at the house due to permitting shenanigans around the septic tank, so I just watched on and lived vicariously through them.

I watched from afar as they build up the oven out of bricks, cutting away at bricks, and mortaring them in place. They eventually finished the bricks and... nothing. I was waiting for the insulation to be installed and the oven to be finished. Eventually I got nosy and asked the neighbor (not the people working on it) about it. "Oh, this is our new pizza oven! Would you like some pizza pies? =D" I was horrified and gave as strong of an opinion as I could that it needed to be covered up and cured so the bricks could stay dry and get up to temperature. She didn't know anything about that and just said she'd talk to the people staying with her about it. So nothing happened . . .

. . . until Thanksgiving. I'm farting around with my parents and friends inside getting our way-to-much-food-you-know-what-I-mean-GWS-forum finished when I heard what sounded like a gunshot or something go off in their yard. At this point, we had installed some fencing in our backyard so I couldn't snoop so well, but standing in a high spot in my yard and leering over, I could see a raging fire going up where that oven was. It turned out that they decided to throw a turkey in it a day after a few straight days of rain and the oven exploded. The bricks steamed up and shattered all over the place.

The oven was rebuilt with a masonry board box, insulation filling it, and a perlcrete bottom layer.

So they moved out, new people came in, they moved out, and now I'm on to the new family. We haven't had much direct interaction with them due to Covid but they're eager to see how to use the thing properly. So far, they just burn scrap yard stuff in it.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Malefitz posted:

A seemingly endless wait later and I can finally get my hands on this bad boy. My Effeuno is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow! Rejoice!

Are you still baking your Pizzas with this temperature? Turn both elements to 470°C during heat up and then for cooking crank them up to 500°C?
Or have you refined your approach since you first wrote this?

Awesome. Hope you have some poolish on the go in anticipation!

That's still my go to method and temps for the upper element. I'm still playing with the lower one but have settled on about 320C for a good bit of even char on the base. Expect about 70-90s per pie at those temperatures.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

gently caress, I love my new toy! It's brilliant!

I made a few Pizzas today, small and medium sized ones, to get some practice with the Effeuno.
Even though my dough wasn't great (not enough time) the results were awesome!

Tomato, cow milk Mozzarella, garlic, basil, EVO

This is the one my girlfriend made, she doesn't like the fluffy crust so she stretched the dough out more and flattened it. She still got a good rise in her crust, usually her Pizzas just look like flat discs.

Tomato, champignon and onion pre-fried with soy sauce, garlic, EVO and basil added after cooking.

It's mesmerizing watching the Pizza cook in the oven in under 2 minutes. I've seen it in videos before but it's something totally different when experiencing it yourself.
I played around a bit with the temperature settings and settled for 470°C top heat and ~440°C bottom heat, cranking the top heat up to 500°C while the Pizza is in the oven.

If someone wants to see a video of the cooking process (not sure if the imgur link works)

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Thanks, now I have to splurge on this

e: nevermind its 240v and i live in the u.s.

e.e.: :mad:

augias fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 20, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

augias posted:

Thanks, now I have to splurge on this

e: nevermind its 240v and i live in the u.s.

e.e.: :mad:

if you own where you live that's not much of a problem

if you don't but have a dryer outlet in your apartment still not much of a problem :V

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mediaphage posted:

if you own where you live that's not much of a problem

if you don't but have a dryer outlet in your apartment still not much of a problem :V

Re: Romancing the [Pizza] Stone (In the Laundry Room)

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Malefitz posted:

gently caress, I love my new toy! It's brilliant!

I made a few Pizzas today, small and medium sized ones, to get some practice with the Effeuno.
Even though my dough wasn't great (not enough time) the results were awesome!

Tomato, cow milk Mozzarella, garlic, basil, EVO

This is the one my girlfriend made, she doesn't like the fluffy crust so she stretched the dough out more and flattened it. She still got a good rise in her crust, usually her Pizzas just look like flat discs.

Tomato, champignon and onion pre-fried with soy sauce, garlic, EVO and basil added after cooking.

It's mesmerizing watching the Pizza cook in the oven in under 2 minutes. I've seen it in videos before but it's something totally different when experiencing it yourself.
I played around a bit with the temperature settings and settled for 470°C top heat and ~440°C bottom heat, cranking the top heat up to 500°C while the Pizza is in the oven.

If someone wants to see a video of the cooking process (not sure if the imgur link works)

Hell yes that's the good stuff. Love that last ingredient combination too.
How are your bases looking at 440 on the bottom? I found it a little too much if the top was at 470 and had preheated, but I'm only usually doing one pie so the first one is getting the full heat the top element is putting into the stone without having dumped any.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

Hell yes that's the good stuff. Love that last ingredient combination too.
How are your bases looking at 440 on the bottom? I found it a little too much if the top was at 470 and had preheated, but I'm only usually doing one pie so the first one is getting the full heat the top element is putting into the stone without having dumped any.

The first one I did, a small one, was set to 450°C bottom and properly pre-heated. I realized after 1:30 minutes that my wooden peel wasn't suited to get the pizza out by itself and needed to grab another tool first which took like 30 seconds and the bottom was burnt quite a bit.

For the others I set the bottom temperature slightly lower, to about 440°C. But I also didn't preheat properly anymore as my day was a bit chaotic between preparing Pizzas, preheating the oven, managing when we want to make what and actually working a day full of meetings. I don't own a thermometer capable to measure these high temperatures yet so I can't say for sure that the biscotto was at 440°C when I did the other Pizzas. All the Pizzas after the first one seemed perfect on the bottom, good color but definitely not burnt. Failed to take pictures of the bottoms unfortunately.

I definitely need to do more testing but for a first batch I'm very satisfied with the results.
The 320°C you set for the bottom element seemed a bit low to me so I wonder if there is anything different in our setups?
You do have a biscotto in your Effeuno, right? I think I remember you said you had one but I'm not sure anymore.

MrYenko posted:

Re: Romancing the [Pizza] Stone (In the Laundry Room)

:five:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Yeah I'm running a biscotto. I think the bottom element is there to mostly maintain heat in the stone but the biscotto doesn't lose much off the preheat when the top element is directly radiating onto it, it's probably more important to get it tuned to the second or third pie than the first but since I've been doing mostly one at a time during lockdown here I've not had the chance test it for a solid batch of consecutive pizzas yet.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Maybe a stupid question about dough prep:

Currently for my NY style I mix it and let it rest in the mixing bowl at room temp for 4 hours. Then I separate dough into two parts, roll and ball, place in 2 oiled Tupperware’s and then into the fridge for 3 days.

Would it make a different if instead of resting in the mixing bowl, I just immediately roll and ball and place into the 2 oiled Tupperware’s, allowing them to rest in Tupperware for 4 hours before tossing in the fridge? I guess I could roll and ball again right before putting in the fridge?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nwin posted:

Maybe a stupid question about dough prep:

Currently for my NY style I mix it and let it rest in the mixing bowl at room temp for 4 hours. Then I separate dough into two parts, roll and ball, place in 2 oiled Tupperware’s and then into the fridge for 3 days.

Would it make a different if instead of resting in the mixing bowl, I just immediately roll and ball and place into the 2 oiled Tupperware’s, allowing them to rest in Tupperware for 4 hours before tossing in the fridge? I guess I could roll and ball again right before putting in the fridge?

nope

i wouldn't even bother reballing, just shove the fuckers in the fridge.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Surely after 4 days you have to roll and ball anyway? Although some might argue that the yeast needs to have a bit of time at room temperature to activate before going in the fridge. Depends on your room temperature as well!

Try it, it won't make a massive difference and if it is better then great!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I don't even ball them or coat container with oil after making the dough. immediately after mixing thoroughly, I put into quart reditainers and leave for 3-5 days, ball after removing for fridge and rest for an hour a proofing container or covered bowl.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

CancerCakes posted:

Surely after 4 days you have to roll and ball anyway? Although some might argue that the yeast needs to have a bit of time at room temperature to activate before going in the fridge. Depends on your room temperature as well!

Hmmm. I’ve always taken out of the fridge about two hours before cooking them. I never roll and ball again.

Should I be?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I put them straight in the fridge too. I use cylindrical deli-tainers to keep them in so when I dump them out they're already round. Makes it easy to get the circle shape

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

PokeJoe posted:

I put them straight in the fridge too. I use cylindrical deli-tainers to keep them in so when I dump them out they're already round. Makes it easy to get the circle shape

I should have mentioned I use round Tupperware. With a 3-day cold ferment, I wonder if it’s even necessary to leave the dough out for 3-4 hours before putting in the fridge…hmmm…sure would save a lot of time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nwin posted:

I should have mentioned I use round Tupperware. With a 3-day cold ferment, I wonder if it’s even necessary to leave the dough out for 3-4 hours before putting in the fridge…hmmm…sure would save a lot of time.

to be honest i don't think so, really. will there be a difference? probably. will it be noticeable? ehhhhhhh.

i think you could get away with making your dough, balling it up, putting it in your greased containers, and shoving it in the fridge since itll be in there for several days plus you'll get an extra proof when you let it come up to temp on bake day.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I used to let it ferment for a few hours after mixing but didn’t do it when I made pizza dough this week and I think it turned out better honestly. Mix it up, form into a loose ball, put it into individual containers and shove it in the fridge. Form into ball after you take them out and let them rise for an hour or two. Then form the pizza crust, top, and bake.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Made some more Pizza last week in my Effeuno.

I love that I can do Mozzarella di Bufala again without the Pizza just soaking through.

I think the next thing I need to work on is my dough recipe. I think I will try higher hydration doughs again, I had been doing 64% water for a while now and went up to 67% for the last batch. I guess I'll do 70% for the next one.

StarkingBarfish posted:

How are your bases looking at 440 on the bottom?

Still sporting 440°C on the bottom and took a picture of the result this time.
I'd say my Pizza bottoms are looking awesome :agesilaus:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I agree, those look great!

I've a poolish on the go for tomorrow. Will give 440 a try. Is that the temp on the dial or are you using a thermometer?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

CancerCakes posted:

My understanding, based on stuff I've heard Gino Sorbillo say, is that you want to ferment at room temp for a while, and then refridgerate, rather than refridgerating and warming it up later. He says this is because when cold the yeast won't do much. This makes sense to me, because ideally you want the gluten to form, then have the yeast grow which happens best at warmer temps, then once risen the now more populous yeast can work slower and all the secondary fermentation products start to slowly provide flavour in the fridge. If you've very little yeast because it hasn't had a chance to multiply you'll get a proportional reduction in flavour because there's less of it to work slowly.

I've tried both methods (no warm rise before the fridge, then bring to temp and rise on the day I'm baking) and I always got better results with the warm rise first. That's for neapolitans though, not sure if NY style behaves differently.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

I agree, those look great!

I've a poolish on the go for tomorrow. Will give 440 a try. Is that the temp on the dial or are you using a thermometer?

It's just the dial, I don't have a thermometer that goes this high unfortunately.
You're using poolish for your dough? Would you mind sharing your recipe?
I've only been doing direct doughs with cold fermentation but maybe making a poolish could transfer my Pizza flavors into a new level

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Sure- this is a slight adjustment to the recipe I posted earlier in the thread, mainly to adjust up the salt slightly and to account for slightly different room temperature:

The PizzApp is really good by the way. The process I use is:

- Make the poolish the night before. I don't have scales sensitive enough to get 0.32g of yeast but I measure a gram and use about a third of it by-eye. I dissolve that in the 242g of cold water and roughly mix the 242g of flour in. Leave covered.

- In the morning the poolish should have roughly doubled in size. I add the poolish to the 340g of water, mix well until even consistency, and then add the full 725g of flour and mix roughly (don't make dough at this stage, just fork it together). I leave that to autolyse for 20-30mins

- While the dough is autolysing I dissolve the 2.2g of yeast (again, by eye so it's 2g on the scale plus a pinch) in the remaining 47g of water. After the 20-30mins is up, I pitch this into the dough, mix well for a few minutes until combined, and then add the 24g of salt.

- I knead this for a good 20mins, and bulk ferment for 2h. I then ball, place in a covered proofing tray and put it in the fridge. If I'm making pizza that day I'll put as many balls as I intend to use in a separate tray and leave them to proof out of the fridge, the balls that go in the fridge will last up to 5 days but are best around 2-4 days later. For the ones that went in the fridge I'll take them out 2-3hrs before using them, depending on room temp. Less for warmer days, more for colder ones.

The pizzApp is great as it'll adjust the amount of yeast based on the room/fridge temps and salt percentage. It's also easy to adjust for the number of and size of balls you want.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Those of you proofing in the fridge for multiple days, do you let it come to room temp and rise again, or stretch from cold or what? The few times I’ve taken dough out of the fridge I’ve let it come to room temp and rise a little before shaping.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I let it come to temp and rise a bit, yeah. Cold dough is harder to shape and if it has been in the fridge for 4 or 5 days it's worth balling it again and letting it rise a bit otherwise its really damp and hard to launch without loads of Semolina or flour. I try not to ball it again if I can but I'll always let it sit for a couple of hours at room temp at least.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Those of you proofing in the fridge for multiple days, do you let it come to room temp and rise again, or stretch from cold or what? The few times I’ve taken dough out of the fridge I’ve let it come to room temp and rise a little before shaping.

Yeah-at least an hour in the humid summer months and 2-3 hours during winter. Otherwise I can’t stretch it out for poo poo.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i always let dough warm to room temperature before doing anything with it

*edit: with the exception of doughnut doughs, millionaire brioches, etc. but this is the pizza thread, so

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 3, 2021

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah I warm them on the counter before shaping if they're from the fridge. Just made this today, shiitake, onion, and pepperoni :yum:

God drat I love pizza

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

God drat I love pizza

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

God drat I love pizza, and specifically that one :eyepop:

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Weather is foul so I am having to do pizza on a stone under the grill (broiler for US pizza people?)

Not hot enought to get a good base, but hot enough to burn the gently caress out of your mouth if you put the pizza straight in your mouth after cutting

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Made a fun mistake tonight that was obvious in hindsight. Walnuts should definitely go on the pizza after, rather than before baking.

Goats cheese, mozz, tomato, walnuts and homemade hot honey because I'm a fad following slut.

Ended up with an undercooked pie and overcooked walnuts but it's definitely a combo I'll be making again.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Welp, I think I’m going back to my old way of not reballing the dough after removing from a 3-day cold ferment in the fridge.

I had 2 dough balls and I did it with one of them as an experiment. I let them come to room temp for about 1.5 hours. The reballed one tore very easily as I was stretching it out. I’ve never had that issue before just taking them out of the fridge 1-2 hours before baking.

Maybe a one/off accident but I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

nwin posted:

Welp, I think I’m going back to my old way of not reballing the dough after removing from a 3-day cold ferment in the fridge.

I had 2 dough balls and I did it with one of them as an experiment. I let them come to room temp for about 1.5 hours. The reballed one tore very easily as I was stretching it out. I’ve never had that issue before just taking them out of the fridge 1-2 hours before baking.

Maybe a one/off accident but I dunno.

Once you ball out your dough, don't mess with it. The balling out process after your bulk ferment does a couple of things- Mainly, it's your second proof of the dough, so most of the gluten development will be happening during your multi-day cold ferment. Secondly, the balling out itself creates a structure of dough that's ready for opening into a pizza. A well balled dough will have a taught 'skin' all around it, which will help keep the fermentation tight in your ball versus it blowing it on a side or the bottom. Maintaining this structure is key to good, airy crust when you cook. Once you pull them out of the fridge, just let them come to room temp like you have been, 1.5-2 hours is usually good. If you reball the dough after this stage, you completely de-gas all the yeast fermentation that's been building up. You need this in your crust to develop that big, strong curst edge. Focus on pushing all the air *out* from the center towards the edges as you open up your dough ball.
Hope this helps!!