Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
Yoko Taro wasn't really involved in Drakengard 2 at all which I think mostly explains no one really caring about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He wasn't directly involved outside of some work on the CGI, it was co-written by Sawako Natori, his co-writer on the other Drakengard games and one of the Nier 1 writers though.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lol it just hit me that levelling to 30 and learning all those magic spells 5 minutes into the game isn't just an arbitrary gameplay tease but actually makes sense in-universe since that power came from Grimoire Noir, who was just waiting around to give all those powers up to Gestalt Neir right away whenever he chose to, versus Grimoire Weiss getting the complete poo poo beaten out of him first by Replicant Nier causing him to forget everything & having to get it all back very, very slowly. But at that point in the game you wouldn't piece together that they were even different books.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Doctor Nutt posted:

Suffering chills and total body ache after moderna #2 yesterday and I gotta say lying on the couch wishing for death seems like a good time for some nier

Feel better! I had moderna #2 on Friday and yesterday I felt awful all day. Body aches, slight fever and sore throat. But today I feel much better so hopefully you will tomorrow.

I did finish all the part 1 quests though lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

lih posted:

Yoko Taro wasn't really involved in Drakengard 2 at all which I think mostly explains no one really caring about it

Yoko Taro was brought on to do Drakengard 1 by Natori, and from what I read was the one pushing for all the insane stuff, including the D rhythm ending that lead into Nier which he convinced a team to work on in secret and then presented it to the others.

I think everything that makes the games great is almost entirely due to Yoko Taro's influence, and when they try to do it without him the whole concept falls apart.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Feel better! I had moderna #2 on Friday and yesterday I felt awful all day. Body aches, slight fever and sore throat. But today I feel much better so hopefully you will tomorrow.

I did finish all the part 1 quests though lol

Lmao I did all the part 1 quests when I felt healthy and I'm working on part 2 now. Some stuff in this game is just cruel.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

axeil posted:

:toot:

Now I can just play through the story. Although I think I need the 15 Nightmares weapons to get all weapons, right?

Aw hell there's 15 of those bastards? I thought there was only three. I unlocked the extra outfit sets from there though, and drat I didn't think Kainé's could get any skimpier but I was wrong! I like them, but I'm sure I'm going to have my boyfriend side-eyeing me when he gets home later.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Gutcruncher posted:

I’ve had Drakengard 3 on my shelf for years should I finally bother playing it Y/N?

It's definitely worth playing, but you'd want to look up the 60FPS patch for it to make it run better. D3 was developed by the devs that made Deadly Premonition, so it runs like rear end normally.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I used up all my flower luck on peach/indigo/pink because I got one every cycle and now I’m never going to see the Lunar Tear for my final trophy

Soysaucebeast posted:

Aw hell there's 15 of those bastards? I thought there was only three. I unlocked the extra outfit sets from there though, and drat I didn't think Kainé's could get any skimpier but I was wrong! I like them, but I'm sure I'm going to have my boyfriend side-eyeing me when he gets home later.

15 nightmares is the name of the DLC. 3 is correct.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Something I noticed in my second play through of NieR

the first shades that appear outside the village in the beginning of the game don’t attack you. They won’t fight unless you attack them, which you have to do because if you just try to enter the village NieR will say he can’t allow any shades close to the village

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Soysaucebeast posted:

If you want to let her put some clothes on, the Yorha DLC is free (or at least on steam it is, can't imagine it's different on console) and the 2B outfit is downright puritan in comparison

But yeah I was surprised to learn that the 15 nightmares outfits are somehow more naked than the default one

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

There's something I really didn't like about the 2B outfit on Kaine. I rotated her through all of them regularly cause I liked them all except the 2B one. I think they got the skirt part really wrong iirc.

theblackw0lf posted:

Something I noticed in my second play through of NieR

the first shades that appear outside the village in the beginning of the game don’t attack you. They won’t fight unless you attack them, which you have to do because if you just try to enter the village NieR will say he can’t allow any shades close to the village

I believe most of the early game small shades behave like this too at least up to and throughout the first visit to the lost shrine

How "lost" can that shrine even be if Yonah, an enfeebled 8 year old, just stumbles her away to it 5 minutes after embarking on an aimless search for a flower smdh

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I like the conversation with Popola after that part

Specifically because her response can be interpreted as "Oh no, Shades near the village? Scary" or "Oh, this teen just walked into my office and casually mentioned that he murdered the souls of some curious children, thats fine, thats great, the plan is going just peachy"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

First the Nier Automata DLC has Nier Replicant costumes and now Nier Replicant has free DLC with Automata costumes. What a time to be alive

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kainé is an awesome character but her outfit is one of the more absurd outfits I’ve seen in a video game. It’s pretty funny that the game constantly mentions how she’s just wearing underwear

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Kainé is an awesome character but her outfit is one of the more absurd outfits I’ve seen in a video game. It’s pretty funny that the game constantly mentions how she’s just wearing underwear

i really like her concept art. it gets across the "wow, you wouldn't expect a person like this to be so violent and vulgar" and her wanting to dress femininely to assert her identity without, y'know, being in her underwear

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I wonder how much of her final character design was solely because someone thought it'd be really funny to have her and weiss constantly bicker over it
I still cackle at the "Have we truly sunk to motivational speeches from a woman in her undergarments?" line every time i hear it

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

I wonder how much of her final character design was solely because someone thought it'd be really funny to have her and weiss constantly bicker over it
I still cackle at the "Have we truly sunk to motivational speeches from a woman in her undergarments?" line every time i hear it

The bickering is worth it, I've never heard such contempt put into the word "book" before.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Homora Gaykemi posted:

i really like her concept art. it gets across the "wow, you wouldn't expect a person like this to be so violent and vulgar"

I like those designs but Yoko Taro had kinda just done that already with Arioch so I can understand not wanting to repeat himself so soon

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean Weiss and Kaine already do the bickering with the same structure way to much.

Like especially early on it could use some variety other than hussy every interaction

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Homora Gaykemi posted:

i really like her concept art. it gets across the "wow, you wouldn't expect a person like this to be so violent and vulgar" and her wanting to dress femininely to assert her identity without, y'know, being in her underwear

On one hand I like that design more in a vaccum, on the other hand Kaine's entire thing is that she is insanely incredibly unfiltered and in your face so the hyper-sexualized outfit she wears fits her personality better than something conservative. It isn't a surprise to her how she acts, just to Weiss and Nier

Her thing isn't "this demure lady is foulmouthed" but "Literally every moment Kaine is onscreen she is in your face and unwilling to bend"

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Also on the subject of the banter, I really appreciate this line from (SPOILERS IN LINK) this interview with Yoko Taro:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 3, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pablo Nergigante posted:

First the Nier Automata DLC has Nier Replicant costumes and now Nier Replicant has free DLC with Automata costumes. What a time to be alive

And yet I can dress my pod up in Weiss cosplay but I cannot put Weiss in pod cosplay. This is an affront and must be corrected post haste.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Just started Drakengard 3 and see that there’s 6 dlc prologue chapters. Gotta say I’m glad that they decided to not close the PSN store quite yet while I play the game and decide if I want over 30 bucks more game.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

Just started Drakengard 3 and see that there’s 6 dlc prologue chapters. Gotta say I’m glad that they decided to not close the PSN store quite yet while I play the game and decide if I want over 30 bucks more game.

You want the dlc because it's integral to the characters and otherwise feels half finished.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

Also on the subject of the banter, I really appreciate this line from (SPOILERS IN LINK) this interview with Yoko Taro:

Honestly I really respect the whole staff for that. Kaine's outfit aside (and that makes sense in context but I get the whole "well the creator just wanted a sexy lady so they contrived the circumstances" argument) her sexuality and gender identity is never questioned or played for laughs. Sure Dimo's a little poo poo about it, but he's never portrayed as anything but a little poo poo. Everyone else respects her choices and never gets all up in her business about it. I think it's one of the best representations of an intersex character I've seen in a game, especially from one eleven years ago.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 3, 2021

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The Aerie got what it deserved

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

how often do you think people plummet to their death in the aerie. seems like a dangerous place to live

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Never, because they never leave their houses.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Can't plummet to your death if you never leave your house

edit: drat it

Cephas fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 3, 2021

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

they only left their houses to throw rocks at poor kaine

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man the music in this game is top notch but all the areas you go back to repeatedly really needed a few remixes or something.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I hate trials almost as much as Kaine does.

Also, yeah, at this point I'm okay with the Aerie plummeting into the abyss. Maybe that happens later? We can hope!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Why does everyone hate the Barren Temple so much! I was actually bummed when it ended and there weren't more rooms to exploit

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Why does everyone hate the Barren Temple so much! I was actually bummed when it ended and there weren't more rooms to exploit

The first time through was fun. The second less. The third less. The forth and fifth even less. Then I started route B.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Are we talking about different areas? The part I'm thinking of you only ever do once throughout the whole playthrough even when going for all the endings (not counting side quests)

edit: FWIW even with the boat I hated every time I had to go to Facade cause it was annoying to get there lol

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I found four trials very easy and one nearly impossible because the game appeared to be very pernickety about what it considered "running" and I failed many times with what seemed to be the intended solution before thinking to try it with the strong attack instead and succeeding.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I forget what game taught me this but I instinctively obviated the "running" restriction by holding down block which of course keeps you locked at slow speed :eng101:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I forget what game taught me this but I instinctively obviated the "running" restriction by holding down block which of course keeps you locked at slow speed :eng101:

Zelda maybe? Nier is largely cribbing Ocarina of Time, after all. Earliest one I can think of that I actually played would be No More Heroes, most recently Nioh does it. Zelda might have invented the idea though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think my old habits as an rear end in a top hat little shitstain who would torture substitute teachers back in elementary school took over cause when they said you couldn't run my first thought was "okay, but can I dodge-roll everywhere? can I double jump? you didn't say I couldn't smash the loving orb shooters tho" :laugh: