Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Alacron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhk2gzmU35E

Ya'll, Super Eyepatch Wolf stumbled across something incredible.

Dell has broken this poor man's mind in ways beyond mortal ken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also most of the posters on this website were kids in the 90s and were tossed into a hostile adult world to suffer and starve at some point between 9/11 and the 2008 crash.

Normal nostalgia goggles complicated by a huge National psychic wound that was never properly understood, basically.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Violet_Sky posted:

Uh I think it helps that I'm not american so I didn't get most of the 9/11 stuff?
to say things got real ugly at school for any of my non-white classmates is an understatement. the racism and bullying ramped up to an absurd degree for anyone even remotely middle eastern-looking, and as fox news clenched its deathgrip it only got worse. a few kids transferred out because of the abuse. it was really bad.

I'm sure it wasn't nearly as bad anywhere else outside of america, but you are seeing the repercussions of that era right now. People who grew up entirely on a diet of post-9/11 fox news are now reaching adult age, and it's real ugly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Also most of the posters on this website were kids in the 90s and were tossed into a hostile adult world to suffer and starve at some point between 9/11 and the 2008 crash.

Normal nostalgia goggles complicated by a huge National psychic wound that was never properly understood, basically.

i mean i was 10 when 9/11 happened. i only started thinking iraq was bad move in high school for various obvious reasons. i live in rural red area but alot of my medical poo poo was in Philadelphia.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I was a teenager in the 90s and all I really remember from the decade are the Gulf War at the beginning of it, and some movie and video game landmarks like Doom and The Matrix. Black trenchcoats sure were cool from 1996 until they got banned in 1999.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Trench coats had a rough time right as they were coming in because well

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Clip-On Fedora posted:

The 90's were a decade of peace, prosperity and optimism for America, much like the 80's were for Japan. It all came crashing down during 9/11, and our country has been in a tailspin since then.
They really weren't and the idea that they were is post-9/11 bullshit.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah didn't the LA riots happen then? And OJ?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

agreed but this was before the internet/cell phones was fully mainstream and before you could follow horrible poo poo in real time on twitter because some survivor got video from the newest mass shooting.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Also the World Trade Center bombing, and the Oklahoma City bombing and the associated Ruby Ridge and Waco shootings. And, yeah, the Gulf War, the decade started in a significant recession with a "jobless recovery" (financiers got money, nobody else did), the rise of front page school shootings, and it was also the decade where there was so much fear about crime that politicians were using terms like "superpredators" to warn of an imminent wave of crime that was going to wash over the entire country.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

agreed but this was before the internet/cell phones was fully mainstream and before you could follow horrible poo poo in real time on twitter because some survivor got video from the newest mass shooting.
I would agree that the 90s was possibly the last decade in which you could reliably be passively ignorant.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Also the World Trade Center bombing, and the Oklahoma City bombing and the associated Ruby Ridge and Waco shootings. And, yeah, the Gulf War, the decade started in a significant recession with a "jobless recovery" (financiers got money, nobody else did), the rise of front page school shootings, and it was also the decade where there was so much fear about crime that politicians were using terms like "superpredators" to warn of an imminent wave of crime that was going to wash over the entire country.

yeah. 90s were basicaly a vaguely more liberal 80s. plus you see all the poo poo building to the issues we have today(obiviously you can go back way further but thats digressing)

Ghostlight posted:

I would agree that the 90s was possibly the last decade in which you could reliably be passively ignorant.

yeah. i think alot of people like the 90s because they were little kids or teens then and they don't remember all the bad poo poo. i don't. i just wanted to play star wars or Beetle borgs

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The first time I remember the news making a frightening impression on me was Dunblane in 1996. Something like that happening to children near my age in a school just like my own was a serious shock really, to all of us.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Pity about all those literal genocides that took place in the 90's ruining my nostalgia for Commander Keen.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Pretty much this. There is always bad poo poo happening, but Americans tend not to care so long as the economy is humming, and it was moving along just fine throughout the 90s. It was 9/11 that made everyone realize that our actions have consequences, and ever since both parties have tried really hard to put us back in that simplistic US Good morality in their own ways.

People complain about how politics are front and center these days, but the kind of ignorance we had throughout the post-war decades really shouldn’t have existed. It’s kinda sad that Trump likely lost more because people just wanted to go back to politics being background noise than anything he actually did.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Obviously. That's why I said the truth was more complicated than that.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Columbine was 15 people. That's almost quaint by 2021 standards.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Katt posted:

Columbine was 15 people. That's almost quaint by 2021 standards.

Definitely. Columbine was shocking because at that point in time mass shootings weren't something that happened all the time. I remember there being one other mass reported school shooting and that's it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
All the aforementioned problems were just exciting diversions that would surely fade away as liberal capitalism slowly fixed all problems with society.

Well, except the school shooting thing. Doom LAN Parties/Black Metal/bullying was to blame for that one, and only putting cops in school was going to fix it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Well, except the school shooting thing. Doom LAN Parties/Black Metal/bullying was to blame for that one

I still hate so much that KMFDM and Rammstein got a bunch of "GERMAN BANDS, NAZIS?!" poo poo over the Columbine guys being fans of their music.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

When I read a translation of "Ich Will" I cracked up, because its basically Rammstein lamenting that half their audience doesn't understand German, so they don't understand what they're actually saying, and they're only fans because the lead singer sounds scary and cool.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Not quite youtube, but my podcast Flash In The Pan had a Two part special overview of the series, and how it's evolved over the many, many years. In hindsight I think we might have been a little too nice, somehow...

Just finished both of these and yeah, you folks might have been a bit nicer than he deserves.

I am going to now listen to the rest of your podcast because these two episodes were pretty good.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 3, 2021

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

fatherboxx posted:

Sakuga discussion and highlighting is mainly linking animation to a particular animator, you can absolutely have it with western cartoons like seeing the clear signature of Peter Chung in some Rugrats scenes:
https://twitter.com/hEnereyG/status/1219079792223494144

it wasn't until the toothpaste that the correct series of neurons fired that let me finally remember who Peter Chung is

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I know I'm several pages late on the Elfen Lied discourse, but I just wanted to say that Hazel did an incredible job contextualizing the era in which it came out, and just how a show that today is seen as embarrassing and dated somehow managed to connect with people at the time.

It's the type of show that could have only been popular in that very specific period of the early-mid 2000s, where anime, goth/emo, and online forums morphed into this weird Voltron of counterculture that I don't think has been replicated since then. Or maybe it has and that's my nostalgia talking :v: Either way, if you can carve out 2 hours the video is well worth watching, especially if you're of a certain age and remember what a thing that show used to be, even if we all agree it sucks now.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 3, 2021

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
A video about how casually cool with homosexuality The Nanny was compared to its contemporaries.
Matt Baume - "The Nanny: Fran’s Fine with Gays"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex46JkQ0Dg4

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Schwarzwald posted:

All the aforementioned problems were just exciting diversions that would surely fade away as liberal capitalism slowly fixed all problems with society.

Right; all of the things listed are small potatoes compared to the end of the cold war and the looming threat of nuclear annihilation. Things could only get better.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

just gonna say the quiet part you're all talking around out loud

There was literally a popular book written in the 90s called The End of History and the Last Man.

Take one guess where that guy was from.

Gwen fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 3, 2021

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Clip-On Fedora posted:

When I read a translation of "Ich Will" I cracked up, because its basically Rammstein lamenting that half their audience doesn't understand German, so they don't understand what they're actually saying, and they're only fans because the lead singer sounds scary and cool.
On a similar note for a long time I didn't twig that 'Links zwo, drei, vier' is literally a marching song that drops the word 'Right' from 'Left, right, left right 1 2 3' and its a response to people assuming they're nazis after Columbine.

"They wanted my heart on the right side
So I looked on it down way
There, it beats in the left breast
The jealous one knew it wrong"

I feel like they should have recorded a version in english to get the point across because a military sounding song in german probably wouldn't have gotten through to the kind of kneejerk idiot that though they were Nazi alligned in the first place solely on the evidence that they're German.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It is kind of funny though that one of their only like big english songs is Stripped, where the music video is footage from Olympia, the Leni Riefenstahl movie.

COME WIS ME, INTO DE TREES

Which also got them some poo poo when it came out, because Leni Riefenstahl was in with the actual back in the day nazis, but it's also one of those things where that movie is actually artistically important for some of the shots and effects she pulled off for something made in 1938.

"It was the first documentary feature film of an Olympic Games ever made. Many advanced motion picture techniques, which later became industry standards but which were groundbreaking at the time, were employed, including unusual camera angles, smash cuts, extreme close-ups and placing tracking shot rails within the bleachers. The techniques employed are almost universally admired, but the film is controversial due to its political context.

Although restricted to six camera positions on the stadium field, Riefenstahl set up cameras in as many other places as she could, including in the grandstands. She attached automatic cameras to balloons, including instructions to return the film to her, and she also placed automatic cameras in boats during practice runs. Amateur photography was used to supplement that of the professionals along the course of races. Perhaps the greatest innovation seen in Olympia was the use of an underwater camera. The camera followed divers through the air and, as soon as they hit the water, the cameraman dived down with them, all the while changing focus and aperture."

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 3, 2021

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Gwen posted:

just gonna say the quiet part you're all talking around out loud

There was literally a popular book written in the 90s called The End of History and the Last Man.

Take one guess where that guy was from.

The 90s were a victory lap at the end of the Cold War, but even then there were some signs at the edge of public awareness that certain people noticed, but that usually failed to penetrate the zeitgeist.

I was just starting to pay attention to politics/economy then, but also got to visit the US for the first time, then several times more in the 1995-1999 period, and it was an exhilarating experience.

There was a fair bit of talk about the end of the decade being a "soft landing" or a crash after the bonanza, though I also remember magazines proclaiming that the US had somehow hacked the laws of economics and now it'd be just endless prosperity forever and people were working so much they had to pay others to care for their pets and that was a -good- thing!

Then again, I remember my teachers talking somberly about the early Al quaeda attacks on the US embassies, and the one-two punch of the Dotcom crash and Columbine was a big sign that hey, maybe things were still happening and we were not at the end of History after all.

But those were nothing compared to the relentless cascade of 9-11, Enron, Iraq debacle, 2008 financial crapout, Trump, then chuds hooting as they took over the Capitol.

In the 90s, you had to actively be looking to see the tears at the seams. In the 2010s and onwards, you'd have to be covering your eyes under your bed to miss them.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The 90s sucked.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Grunge rules.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Yardbomb posted:

Grunge rules.

:haibrow:

I grew up in the 2000s for the most part and I can't say I have a lot of nostalgia for the media of my childhood. Not to say it was terrible, but it does seem to me that the 90s were a better time for that stuff. The only medium that I think had a better run in the 2000s than it did in the 90s is comic books.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

https://twitter.com/catatonicyouths/status/1224450854616367106?s=21

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I wonder if this talk links up with whatever reason there is for all Rammstein videos to have comments disabled on youtube.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I immediately recognized that still and knew Bück Dich was coming lol, I'll see that and raise you Mann Gegen Mann though. Big warning(?) for a lot of naked muscular men within, song's named 'Man Against Man' after all.

Also I think the comments off thing is something that just happened on youtube in general after some recent bit or another, cause all of a sudden a ton of music channels and similar all have comments disabled.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 3, 2021

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sankara posted:

The 90s sucked.

The 80s too, what little I remember of them. Wasn't around at all for the 70s but they seemed like poo poo. Aught's were obviously a complete write-off and the twenty-teens? Ha.

My conclusion is that decades universally suck rear end.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The last 20 years have had wave after wave of big bombastic events just completely proving the abject failure of the mainstream political and economic modes of thinking. Which makes it easy to look back at the 90's as some kind of lost golden age when things weren't as poo poo, when really it was just that the system was only showing signs of stress vs bits falling off or just outright exploding.

The 90's were plenty poo poo though, particularly in regards to the tensions released by the end of the Cold War and the US's repeated messy attempts to try and assert itself as the unipolar world power. Rwanda, Chechen, Yugoslavia, Desert Storm and the meteoric rise of Islamic extremism, Operation Restore Hope, the list goes on. Much of the western world was too preoccupied huffing their own farts about having defeated communism to really be bothered by any of that though.

I highly recommend The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright, it goes into great detail on the rise of Islamic extremism and the individuals who were important to its various movements, and also how US and Soviet foreign policy just completely hosed the Middle East over time and again during the cold war, then blissfully ignored the simmering discontent they created.

Now the cartoons, the cartoons in the 90's loving slapped. Some good live action stuff too like Pete & Pete. It was also like the golden age of dumb as poo poo awesome toys. If you were a kid in the US during the 90's who was blissfully unaware of politics, it fuckin' ruled yo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the 90s did have freakazoid, gogurt, and that one good episode of the clerks animated cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

culture started in 2006 when brokeNCYDE formed