Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

ShowTime posted:

5/5: Something is wrong or karma in Tarkov exists. My Reserve scav runs are insane right now.

Reserve scav runs are fuckin nuts, we generally pull out anywhere from 300k-1m per raid when we find the raiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It's wild. I just go into the catacombs and find bodies full of loot. My run where I found a REAP-IR was the exception, because I crept on another player scav, one tapped him in the dome and walked out with all the loot he found.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ShowTime posted:

It's wild. I just go into the catacombs and find bodies full of loot. My run where I found a REAP-IR was the exception, because I crept on another player scav, one tapped him in the dome and walked out with all the loot he found.

We usually go to Queen and White bishop first to stock up on meds and guns and then go down to the power switch, loads of dead guys. If there's nothing there, there's loads of dead guys at the K buildings. Can't lose (except when you get murdered by raiders)

Orv
May 4, 2011
On that note is it across all maps now that weather actually effects night visibility? I was super surprised when I accidentally did a night Interchange and could see just about as clearly as daytime as opposed to the old night time raids being always pitch black.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Was the moon out? Moon makes a big difference. At least it used to. Maybe they changed something recently.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah the moon was out and it was completely clear, but I feel like it used to be on like Customs night runs even a full moon and a clear sky was still pretty dark.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

hakimashou posted:

if you can find and get around the mines theres all kinds of insane loot that spawns at the base of the wall behind the minefield, ledx and graphics cards and all the streamer items

Where is this exactly?

Orv
May 4, 2011

sum posted:

Where is this exactly?

The UN fortifications on the bottom right corner of Shoreline, opposite the tunnel extract along the bottom of the map, though in particular what they said there was a lie.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

sum posted:

Where is this exactly?

On shoreline in the south east corner theres a big wall and some checkpoint things with a sandy area with land mines between the road and the wall, right at the base of the wall sort of half stuck in the dirt is where all the kappa items and stuff spawn.

You gotta really take your time getting through the mine field looking for them or you'll get blown up

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Hooplah posted:

i mean yeah you seem to be answering your own question, or at least gesturing towards an answer without stating it

it might be disingenuous to call the lack of something "unwavering commitment". to be fair i noticed it right away and it set off some alarm bells, especially alongside poo poo like "kektape". if these devs aren't outright channers they're at least adjacent and aware of the poo poo they're gesturing toward

i dont necessarily know what this has to do with twitch though. twitch is the biggest loving thing in the world for games right now, whether theyre nazis or not. i'm not surprised twitch doesnt do anything about it because that's par for the course on big websites, especially social network-y ones. path of exile points directly to twitch streams on their website, does this mean they're supporting the alt right or whatever?

can you actually post what you believe and are trying to convince us of? you're not really saying anything of substance

They've got all the familiar hallmarks: russia, racist memes like "kek," giant raging obsessive all-consuming gun fixation, people showing language solidarity with "incels" using their "chad" jargon. This combined with their proudly anti-PC stance on representation of POC and women... Plus other very right-wing adjacent stuff like being into "crypto currency."

Where there is smoke there is usually fire and I'd say especially with the Times revelations about how "twitch/TTV" is the main financial lifeline for the most despicable kind of people... (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/27/technology/twitch-livestream-extremists.html) it's a three alarm fire.

Path of Exile people might get a pass maybe because they have so much they can point to that proves they aren't on board with the "twitch" "TTV" gamer alt-right set. That game does have representation of POC and women doesn't it? And it isn't a smorgasbord of right-wing slop like tarkov is.

That said a formal association with the "twitch" website would make me much less likely to play their game, especially after what the Times has exposed.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 3, 2021

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I also remember back before tarkov was a real big "gamer's" game before it got in bed with the "twitch" website you didn't really see many loathsome user names in the game. Like you'd see some gross-out ones sometimes but not the avalanche of racist and misogynist ones like there are now that it's deeply entangled with "twitch/TTV" and "gamer culture." Also back then there were no racist meme items in it and people who played it didnt imitate "incels" with how they talk...

I think that tarkov could do a lot to make up for its bad history w/r/t alt-right pandering by cutting ties with "twitch" and that people should boycott that web site until it takes big steps to stop being the main financial lifeline for racists and conspiracy idiots and other noxious right-wingers.

I know someone was whining about the New York Times for some reason but from their article we find out that:

So I dunno if that was just a gamer lashing out over it or what but these sleazebucket people at the "twitch" web site dont act on this stuff unless they face real pressure so maybe the solution is for people of good conscience and character who also, happen to play video games to let them know ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

Orv
May 4, 2011
"Hey we actually won a PvP fight, nice job."

Man walks around the corner, spins 170 degrees and pops us both once, standing a good ten meters apart. :geno:

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm just finishing up a masters that is purely focused on online bullshit, and while it stop being directly about online radicalization halfway through Hakimashou has the right idea here. I don't think that twitch streamers are "funding" the online fash or anything, but those spaces are absolutely avenues for radicalization and recruitment. It doesn't take much for some kid who is into Tarkov or whatever to find an online forum full of helpful people with "funny memes" and slowly (or not so slowly) get radicalized when it turns out they're fash. A lot of people don't see the racism, misogyny, anti-semitism, nationalism, etc, in the jokes and memes and only see the humor, and that starts them down the path. Or, they see the people in the community they want to join enjoying the humor and imitate it, also starting down the path to radicalization.

I don't think Tarkov is the fash game for fash scum or anything but it 100% is the type of place that serves as a fertile breeding ground for the worst parts of humanity, both online and off, and ignoring it only emboldens it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don't think anyone is arguing against that point after the last four years of seeing people continually radicalized online and Twitch and Tarkov definitely have immensely toxic communities that could serve as places to further or begin someone's radicalization.

I also don't think Hakimashou is doing this posting in remotely good faith, so.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

ChesterJT posted:

It's about as close as I could get it. SIG Romeo4 in game, I have a Romeo5. Surefire light on the side, just used a generic in game light. That's a 10" Troy rail on a 10.5" barrel and the game had a 10.25" barrel and a 9.5" DD rail. I thought about using an adar receiver for semi-auto super IRL accuracy but meh.

How do you like the goofy spaceman foregrip I've been mooting getting one for years now since they have them in tapkob.

My only tarkov irl gun is my noveske SBR that I can get a tarkov gun pretty close to

I took the pic for JAE when I was ecstatically gloating on the night Joe Biden super-won that's why its got the glass of wine and stuff I had that pic handy and didn't want to get it and stage another one.

I think tarkov has a very similar pistol grip, and a different AAC can but not the m4-2000 but it has the same vortex flash hider.

They have the micro aimpoint I think and the sopmod crane stock deal but not a pvs14 mount and ofc no rail covers.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 3, 2021

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Orv posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing against that point after the last four years of seeing people continually radicalized online and Twitch and Tarkov definitely have immensely toxic communities that could serve as places to further or begin someone's radicalization.

Explain just what you mean by this

Orv
May 4, 2011

hakimashou posted:

Explain just what you mean by this

You post like a dumb rear end in a top hat more often than you post sincerely and your Twitch posts read like quotes from something or you shitposting rather than trying to have an actual conversation about it. If I'm wrong, fair enough.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Orv posted:

You post like a dumb rear end in a top hat more often than you post sincerely and your Twitch posts read like quotes from something or you shitposting rather than trying to have an actual conversation about it. If I'm wrong, fair enough.

I have a long established history of being repelled by "twitch" and the "gamer culture" going back years in tarkov threads and the tarkov discord.

When I read the revelations in the Times the other day, everything just clicked, it wasn't for nothing that I had detected such a foul odor emanating from "TTV" for so long, the rottenness really was there.

If you disagree with something I've posted stop beating around the bush and just say so? But refrain from libelous mouthiness.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

ChesterJT posted:

Thanks dad, gently caress off.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

hakimashou posted:

I have a long established history of being repelled by "twitch" and the "gamer culture" going back years in tarkov threads and the tarkov discord.

When I read the revelations in the Times the other day, everything just clicked, it wasn't for nothing that I had detected such a foul odor emanating from "TTV" for so long, the rottenness really was there.

If you disagree with something I've posted stop beating around the bush and just say so? But refrain from libelous mouthiness.

:goonsay:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
If you haven't already picked up on it, you shouldn't be listening to anything Hamimashou says. No, there isn't a secret path through the minefield that results in a bunch of streamer loot.

Anyway, does anyone here play hardcore mode? Kind of toying with the idea until the next wipe. It seems like an interesting way to spice up the gameplay late wipe. I'm not interested in a second account just yet, so I might just reset my character if I decide to do it.

If I do it, i'll be giving away a bunch of loot tonight via kits. I'll make a post and you can let me know kind of what you want. I'd like to do 2 loadouts at a time if possible. I can wear one kit and have the other in my bags, so I can get 2 people loaded out in a single run. There really isn't a great way to transfer wealth, unless someone else can think of a way to do it i'm not.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Several of my friends keep badgering me to play this but based on the OP it seems like you need to invest serious time learning maps and systems before you reach the point where you can reliably shoot mans and take their stuff: is there any way to enjoy this semi-casually and get player kills or should I not bother if the lack of ingame map already sounds tedious?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Russian Remoulade posted:

Several of my friends keep badgering me to play this but based on the OP it seems like you need to invest serious time learning maps and systems before you reach the point where you can reliably shoot mans and take their stuff: is there any way to enjoy this semi-casually and get player kills or should I not bother if the lack of ingame map already sounds tedious?

If the lack of an in-game map is already tedious to you I would definitely pass on it.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

reliably "winning" engagements without running away (as a newbie i count simply surviving after another player knows i exist as a win) requires an extreme amount of situational awareness and memorizing map features and flow patterns is the first step on that path. just being good at clicking heads won't get you there because most people play incredibly opportunistically and will routinely clap you from angles you didn't know existed

cod warzone this is not.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Map knowledge is the most important thing in this game and the only way to get it is to play a lot.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

sure the lack of ingame map might initially strike you as tedious, but what would you say if I told you that you needed to reload individual bullets into your magazines?!?

you can absolutely play tarkov semi-casually but that's in terms of leveling/playtime in any individual wipe, the game is genuinely great but the learning curve is more of a sheer cliff and game knowledge is heavily rewarded vs. raw shooter skills/reflexes - they help and you can pick it up/get decent fairly quickly but even if you're exceptionally good at both shooter skills and figuring out how Tarkov works/fits together you're probably looking at at least a double digit number of hours before getting dunked on stops being routine (it's still really good fun before that because scavs/looting/how good it feels when you do get the drop on someone else because you don't know the map flow and are moving less predictably/the game being a survival horror experience rather than just an fps)

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

LGD posted:

sure the lack of ingame map might initially strike you as tedious, but what would you say if I told you that you needed to reload individual bullets into your magazines?!?

Like I probably should have done more research. I've sunk quite a few hours into Hunt but I think I'm just not willing to be a punching bag for the required amount of time. Appreciate the chorus of definitive replies.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
A buddy of mine doesn't play hardcore but he does play without using the flea market at all. It says it makes the game much more interesting for him.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
WHoops. double post.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Orv posted:

I see. New to the thread and his posting so I don't have that sort of context, but I see too many people not taking Online seriously enough and I am compelled to push back on it, hence my input. Makes me wish my work had stayed focused on the radicalization bit so I could have something more to add but I guess thats what future work is for.

Anyways this game is good and tough and I'm liking. I got adopted by two rando chads on Reserve who saw me sitting in a corner with just a pistol. I waited for them to murder me and didn't try to fight back and they invited me along; really need to learn the built in communication system so I can do more than just wiggle and smash Y (if there is more). It was a cool, classic multiplayer-without-voice-comms moment like in the mid 2000s. A lot of wiggling and jumping and meleeing things to communicate, I love that poo poo. Gotta play with goons sometime! I'm in the discord but haven't had a moment to jump into any games.

Maybe I have more tolerance for this but I haven't found the learning to be too awful. I've mostly stuck to reserve and customs so far, with a bit of woods but learning the maps by simply playing them comes naturally. I've been playing for a few days and feel like I can navigate customs without a map, and know the names of most of the exfils. Don't have all the loot spawn locations memorized or anything but I think it is fun and intense without that level of mastery. I think enjoyment could def be had without ultimate mastery, which, in the case of this game counts as "casual". I will say that if you don't want to get murdered instantly all the time, you can't go into it playing unfocused or with a podcast on or anything like that.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Listen all I want to do is be a "Chad" and have my "white man" shoot other "white men" so all the "HB10's" want my dick while "I" listen to the "Joe" Rogan Experience and alt-tab "out" to read 8chan on the loading screens.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Listen all I want to do is be a "Chad" and have my "white man" shoot other "white men" so all the "HB10's" want my dick while "I" listen to the "Joe" Rogan Experience and alt-tab "out" to read 8chan on the loading screens.

Reeeeee they use the word chad reeeeeeee

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Are you guys talking about this "twitch" I've been hearing about? I just figured it was a dance all the kids were into.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Has anyone tried talking to Twitch's mother? Sounds like a problem that could be solved at home.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
Its twitch's mom's house. It's full of ferals in the basement

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Twitch has games? I thought it was a softcore porn site now

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 4, 2021

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Hot tub Tarkov machine

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Cage Kicker posted:

Reeeeee they use the word chad reeeeeeee

this but unironically

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just trying to do quests and these motherfuckers out here taking years off me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb5li9m7d84

Sadly when I tracked them to the scav town by the bridge extract a little later I missed my shot and decided to bail instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANNED USER
May 18, 2010

I have this real nasty habit of punching faces

Having played ground branch, Tarkov is still missing like half of its core features, which isn't good if the game is allegedly in "beta". I blame streamers for the lack of focus on finishing core gameplay before adding "content" like new weapons or locations. You have to appease your sapient advertisements and the company they keep.