Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Lot of nerds in this thread :iia:

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

:haibrow:

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nerds? On my dead gay comedy forum?!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Leal posted:

My store would have the floor clerk help with bagging if the customer is elderly or otherwise would have difficulty bagging stuff.

Unless they were checking out at one particular cashier who I have found memories calling me to help someone bag stuff when the person was the same age as me, had no apparently handicaps and had a god drat 10 year old and 8 year old who could've bagged their 4 bags worth of groceries. I swear this cashier was either power tripping or hoping being so free with having someone bag for the costumer would advance them in some way.

One of my chores as a kid was bagging groceries for my mom, I guess it was the first real "job" I ever had. She got sick of dumbasses putting canned poo poo in with the week's bread or bagging raw meat with fresh produce, so she taught me to do it properly because she could at least fuss at me if I hosed it up.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Tonight's rant will be in screenshot form.

My schedule in April:

My schedule in May:

For reference all of those shifts besides the 8th were 12 hour night shifts (I snagged a 3 hour VET there not realizing the next two weeks would also be mandatory overtime). The 28th is red because i headed out early since I had a dentists appointment the next morning.

Amazon: Would you like to come in and help MORE?
Me: No. And stop sending me texts about it. :argh:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

You’re already doing enough overtime as it is and they think you’re going to do more?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Holy gently caress, you get both Friday and Saturday off? What dark rituals did you have to perform to be granted that?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Aniodia posted:

Holy gently caress, you get both Friday and Saturday off? What dark rituals did you have to perform to be granted that?
It's not the dark ritual, it's what he spent the 3 black mana on.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Aniodia posted:

The ritual is easy:
-Accept a paycheck from Dark Lord Jeff Bezos

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
With some horrible family poo poo happening the week I got forced into the new van, I kept it, and my job currently. I just didn't have it in me to possibly deal with getting a new job on top of everything else. So I'm still there. I did withdraw my app to Amazon, listing the reason as Other (maybe i should have put Medical) so now I'm worried that might have put me on a Do Not Hire list.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

With some horrible family poo poo happening the week I got forced into the new van, I kept it, and my job currently. I just didn't have it in me to possibly deal with getting a new job on top of everything else. So I'm still there. I did withdraw my app to Amazon, listing the reason as Other (maybe i should have put Medical) so now I'm worried that might have put me on a Do Not Hire list.

Nah, just bottom of the queue. Try again in a few months or a year. Either a new warehouse will open up or they'll just work through all the people that quit/are fired before you. Or more likely both. Seriously, if I get 10 new hires to train I'm surprised if I don't lose 2 by the end of the week.

Also:
https://twitter.com/pnoconnor/status/1389038508866686976?s=20

Seriously it's getting bad enough that the Whataburger's dishwasher was asking how to get hired at Amazon while he handed me my 5 AM post-shift burger right next to the "Whataburger Job Fair" banner, and we're having trouble with staffing and a fuckload of overtime to cover for the fact that at $15/hour and a guaranteed 40 hours/week we're struggling to keep people.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I am personally living for the 'business closed due to no employees' signs. Every time I see a new one it's mana from Heaven. It's been too long since I saw one in real life.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

millenials workers are killing the diamond industry slavery :mad:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The lesson from all of this is lost on the people that it should actually impact. We're still going to see articles about how some factory owner has a million job postings that he can't fill because millenials are lazy and sucking on the government teat, but if you actually look at the jobs he can't fill it's $11/hr for an experienced welder or $15/hr for a senior network engineer with 10+ years experience.

They are never going to grasp that the problem is their lovely wages.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

shortspecialbus posted:

The lesson from all of this is lost on the people that it should actually impact. We're still going to see articles about how some factory owner has a million job postings that he can't fill because millenials are lazy and sucking on the government teat, but if you actually look at the jobs he can't fill it's $11/hr for an experienced welder or $15/hr for a senior network engineer with 10+ years experience.

The people writing these articles don't get it because they're paid to not get it. It's propaganda.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Volmarias posted:

The people writing these articles don't get it because they're paid to not get it. It's propaganda.

Sure, but that's the point - nobody that matters is ever going to take the correct lesson away from these "worker shortages".

I'm just in a bad mood and there's probably not a lot to say about this that hasn't already been said, and I'm pretty sure I'm preaching to the choir here anyways. Sorry.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Just hilarious that one of the things that happened as a result of the Black Death in Europe was that wages went up after.

They know that history. They don't want to repeat it.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Double post, but walked into work today to a very frazzled opener, the only other person scheduled for our department called out. (7-3, 10-6 and 1-9 shifts)

Also GM started his paternity leave 5 days early.

:tif:

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

shortspecialbus posted:

I’m not retail, but drat is this true at my job. They seriously can’t seem to understand that nobody wants to do factory assembly work for $11/hour. They’re genuinely baffled at how many people show up for one day and then ghost. They posted a thing offering $300 bonuses to anyone who recommends a hire, if the person they recommend stays a worker 6 months. No one’s claimed it so far. Pay people a living wage, for gently caress’s sake. “Oh, we pay the industry average”. They can’t fathom that the problem is with the whole industry.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i just heard that montana is withdrawing from the federal unemployment benefits and canceling a bunch of pandemic protections because lazy workers don't want to come back to jobs that pay poo poo. the state unemployment rate is like 3.5%, back to were it was before the pandemic

it's just an insane mixture of greed and buying into the fairytales they tell themselves to justify that greed

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Work shut down early last night because maintenance took a vital piece of equipment down an hour before EOS. I mean, okay? Yeah, sure, we'll lose an hour of productivity when we're in the OVERTIME ZONE because you either schedule maintenance or maintenance schedules itself. Anyways, it leads to a mess at the end of days that they only recover from in the last hour or so. With "recovery" being kind of generous.

So I spend the first 1.5 hours playing Whack-A-Mole on the router. "Hey Department X, you're backed up." "Department Y, clear out or the sorter shuts off." Etc. etc. etc. Only then do I notice I'm finding a bunch of totes with no destination coming off of the tote router to my problem solve station.

I get on Chime (AOL: Amazon OnLine, our internal IM client) and go "@Present_Members Hey guys I'm getting a bunch of junk from this person that's clogging up the lines. Here's their ID so you can see who it is and here are some of the totes they touched."
[30 minutes of silence]
"@Present_Members Hello? Anyone tracking this issue? Here's more tote IDs of totes they touched and I've taken off of the sorting machinery."

Finally get a response then. Turns out the person had logged into an app they shouldn't have had permissions to have in the first place and instead of picking inventory to send out to be packed out they were effectively picking items out of inventory that would come to my problem solve station to be put on a pallet and sent back...to be sorted back into inventory. Someone quickly figures out the issue. Another person removes the permissions the new worker shouldn't have had.

"Okay can someone go over there and tell them to log out and log into the tool they're supposed to be using?"
"[confusion]"
"You removed their permission...but if they have the app open they can and will still keep using it until they log out."
"Oh I'll get to them in a bit."

Repeat for 1.5 more hours in multiple chats with multiple people until the problem fixes itself. All the while I'm pulling this person's work off the line: not a single thing they packed went out during that time it just ended up in more piles of problem solve/putbacks. Finally the problem solves itself as the person...logs out to go to first break.

5 hours later:
"Okay, I took care of the associate. They logged out and logged back in with no issues."

Me: :ughh:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i just heard that montana is withdrawing from the federal unemployment benefits and canceling a bunch of pandemic protections because lazy workers don't want to come back to jobs that pay poo poo. the state unemployment rate is like 3.5%, back to were it was before the pandemic

it's just an insane mixture of greed and buying into the fairytales they tell themselves to justify that greed

Wait, wtf ? I’m sure they can cut their unemployment, but it’s hosed up if states can block the $300 a week federal unemployment.

Also weird because Montana is certainly not perfect, but they actually have decent anti lobbying laws so I tend not to expect stupid poo poo like this from that state.

And yes, lol America.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Of course I come back to work just in time for loving Cinco e Mayo. Gonna be thanksgiving levels of busy, except my work doesn't consider it a holiday so its all gonna be for base pay :shepicide:

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Leal posted:

Of course I come back to work just in time for loving Cinco e Mayo. Gonna be thanksgiving levels of busy, except my work doesn't consider it a holiday so its all gonna be for base pay :shepicide:

oh hey, that's today. neat!

I'm closing my department alone tonight!

e: turns out it's fine because we have next to no product again

cephalopods fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 5, 2021

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Today was the first time since the pandemic started that someone came in and apologized for how rude she had been the last time she was in the store (while not wearing a mask and being a tremendous rear end in a top hat about it). I know this is more of a "commiserate about our jobs that suck" thread, but it was the first time that someone actually came back and apologized for their previous behavior, not just since the pandemic started, but since I've been working at that store (and possibly my entire working life).

The cynical part of me says it's because we carry a specific product that she can't get somewhere else. Plus, she never actually said she had been wrong for not wearing a mask, just for how she treated me. I'm not gonna dwell on it too much, though. It was a nice thing that happened, and that itself is rare at pretty much any job. :)

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I’m glad the one week I’m not running the truck, the trucks are either small or cancelled.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well, one of the slowest may of five I've worked. Though that may be because everyone was waiting until 8:30 pm and welp everything was done soooo later. I'm not complaining.

E: Though the numbers didn't go up that much, the amount of times I get stopped and asked do something dramatically increased anyways

Leal fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 6, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Today was a good day!
1) Got 2nd dose (though this will likely suck in the short term considering I have an overtime shift tomorrow)
2) found out I'm getting a $1.50 pay raise that goes into effect on the 16th (Amazon's likely feeling the squeeze as they "moved up" their annual wage adjustment from September to May).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alkydere posted:

Today was a good day!
1) Got 2nd dose (though this will likely suck in the short term considering I have an overtime shift tomorrow)

Be prepared to take tomorrow off.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I only took the one-hit wonder vacc and it still knocked my rear end flat. I had hot and cold running chills, fatigue, etc. Not everyone gets that reaction to the vaccines, but it's definitely 'I have a moderate and lovely flu and should be in bed' levels of sick.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
With how slow today, not to mention five of may yesterday, was I am REALLY not looking forward to this weekend. Besides that, we've been asking for new carts because a lot of ours are beaten to poo poo thanks to assholes just hitting carts with their cars if they're in the way. Well whoever up top is an rear end in a top hat cause the company recently bought up some other stores and sent us their carts. These carts are not the same color as ours, their locking mechanism doesn't respond to the frequency of our keys, the seats say another store's name on them, they're ugly as poo poo and what really sucks for our cart pushers: They're like twice as heavy. And they don't fit with our regular carts so they have to make 2 trips even if the other ones weren't so heavy that they have to take less per trip.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Be prepared to take tomorrow off.

Already am. My reaction's been fairly mild but it's a "I'm still sick" fairly mild and work gives us time off just for this reason.

It's also "Fairly mild" compared to the poor lady in the chair next to me who was starting to melt and sweat in misery within her 15 minute doctor-mandatory post-shot rest period that had HR buzzing around her to get her information and give her the rest of the shift off because she met the threshold of "Oh gently caress send this person home"

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
I thankfully didn't have much of a reaction to the vaccine. First dose, felt nothing. Had second dose on Tuesday. There's a dull pain in my left arm where I was injected but other than that I've been fine. The pain in my arm is vastly insignificant to the tooth pain I had last week or the pain from the ulcer on my leg from the last six months. Been working throughout as well on both occasions.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

My post-2nd dose plan was to stay in bed the next day and play video games and that is exactly what I did.

Was still a bit loopy and fatigued for a couple more days.

Last night, boss told me to get some training on the new POS system done during downtime.

There was no downtime.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I finally got out of Wyoming and am working at another post office in Pittsburgh. It's loke night and day and I'm not cinstantly stressed out and bullied by my lead clerk. They even bought me a shot of tequila when a bunch of us went out to dinner on Wednesday.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

I finally got out of Wyoming and am working at another post office in Pittsburgh. It's loke night and day and I'm not cinstantly stressed out and bullied by my lead clerk. They even bought me a shot of tequila when a bunch of us went out to dinner on Wednesday.

Congrats ! Pittsburgh is a great city (with sports teams I disdain).

If I remember right, Arsenal Cider is in Pittsburgh and really good if you like that kind of thing.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Star Man posted:

Wyoming to Pittsburg must be quite the drastic change though. But congrats on getting out of a toxic work environment into a pod.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

New POS training attempt #2

Hopefully it's not broken this time.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Alkydere posted:

Already am. My reaction's been fairly mild but it's a "I'm still sick" fairly mild and work gives us time off just for this reason.

It's also "Fairly mild" compared to the poor lady in the chair next to me who was starting to melt and sweat in misery within her 15 minute doctor-mandatory post-shot rest period that had HR buzzing around her to get her information and give her the rest of the shift off because she met the threshold of "Oh gently caress send this person home"

Goddamn, that sucks. I got my second shot this past Monday, and while it felt like someone ran up and Charlie horse'd my arm for three days straight, I haven't had any other side effects.

At the same time, though, I've also heard that there may be delayed side effects for some people, up to about a week later, and that day's coming up quick. So I dunno, I may "wake up with chills, nausea and diarrhea" on Sunday, get Mother's Day off and have two days off in a row this next week. ;^)

Like, working at Whole Foods isn't that bad (especially when it means I can get paid on time), but man, I do kinda miss being able to sit for most of my shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I'm really hating how every loving person in town can't handle the 77 degree weather and stays at home all day until 9 pm where it drops to 73 and they all come at once. And unsurprisingly the majority of the employees are gone and there are only a few cashiers so the lines are always long as poo poo. Especially when its been dead all day before then.