Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

darthbob88 posted:

Alligators are classed as [PET_EXOTIC], so they are tameable, but might be more difficult than regular critters to tame.

Well there's a goal for future forts, ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think Kruggsmash tried that once and the results were pretty underwhelming. Fun experiment though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think it's established that "underwhelming" is very much my idiom

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Uh pretty much any animal in game is tamable folks. Dwarves just start out with certain animals already domesticated but theres nothing stopping you from taming a bunch of giant louse or whatever. Im not going to go into the details of how it all works because it's all on the wiki.

Easy way to tame alligators is either ring the body of water with cage traps or make a channel lined with cage traps and tap it so they flood out into it and get caught.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 26, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
if it can reproduce in captivity and isn't sapient/civilized you can domesticate it, basically

although megabeasts may still have loyalty / auto-aggro issues when confronted with military castes

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if it can reproduce in captivity and isn't sapient/civilized you can domesticate it, basically

although megabeasts may still have loyalty / auto-aggro issues when confronted with military castes

Weird interactions with sapients tbh, if you train them sometimes they can be recruited into a squad and from there they can be invited as full time citizens if they request it.

Depends on their specific token mix iirc and probably only comes up with modded creatures. if they kill people it becomes funky as per usal.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
one time i tamed a hydra, let it out of its cage and it went around killing every single citizen with ease until finally 200+ people who were never afraid of the tame beast finally vanished

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bideo James posted:

one time i tamed a hydra, let it out of its cage and it went around killing every single citizen with ease until finally 200+ people who were never afraid of the tame beast finally vanished

yeah this is what i was alluding to in my previous post -- there is / used to be a bug where members of your military would instantly aggro on megabeasts even if they were tamed, and then the megabeast would aggro back and kill everyone while your regular dwarves still think it's friendly

it may have been fixed in this latest patch as a closely related bug where the same thing happened with fortress visitors was fixed but i haven't tested it yet

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

darthbob88 posted:

Alligators are classed as [PET_EXOTIC], so they are tameable, but might be more difficult than regular critters to tame.

so, finding an embark that reliably has alligators or preferably, saltwater crocodiles, is turning out to be a bit of a pain :smith:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Weird, just about every tropical or sub tropical river I've embarked on has alligators.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah same here, right up until I want to find them, of course

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Just use cave crocs

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Doesn't it take a hellishly long amount of time for your civilization to learn how to domesticate animals? Like yes, your fortress contributes to that so technically it can be done, but in the meantime you're going decades ingame retraining the same animals into the semi-tame state or whatever

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
For the purposes of populating a moat does it really matter?

Yes they will attack Urist Mcclusmy who fell in, but gently caress it he was drowning anyway.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Just use cave crocs

probably going to do this, yes.

Pharnakes posted:

For the purposes of populating a moat does it really matter?

Yes they will attack Urist Mcclusmy who fell in, but gently caress it he was drowning anyway.

That's not the point :smith:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

looks like a nice place

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Flesh Forge posted:

looks like a nice place

looks terrible to me, tin and no copper.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it's ok there's only like 120 tiles of tin anyway

e: getting this thing where a siege comes, I activate the civilian burrow and the siege immediate leaves :negative:

it isn't 100% of the time but it's just happened 3 times in a row

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 9, 2021

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

ninjewtsu posted:

Doesn't it take a hellishly long amount of time for your civilization to learn how to domesticate animals? Like yes, your fortress contributes to that so technically it can be done, but in the meantime you're going decades ingame retraining the same animals into the semi-tame state or whatever
AFAIK there's no support for your civilization learning anything after worldgen; you can domesticate some crocodiles in Boatmurdered II: Boat Harder just fine, but any additional forts you create in that world will not be able to import tamed crocodiles.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

No, Not how it works.

Your civilization slowly receives training knowledge for whatever species you are working on with each caraven. This pool of knowledge can vary in levels but ultimately it just effects the quality skill roll for training a species in subsquent forts in the same world. You can never get full civ wide domestication through this knowledge transfer. It just acts as a skill roll modifier.

But that's not important really, because full species domestication on an individual fort level is ridiculously easy to do. Any species with a child stage can give you a domesticated (read: You never have to train them again/preform upkeep) population by simply snagging a breeding pair and then training the offspring while it's in the child stage. The child will then become fully tame/domesticated and never need retraining.

Animals inheirt their training stuff from the mother so if the offspring is female you can safely breed it and never have to worry about training it's kids.

The quality skill role for trainers is basically useless outside of extreme edge cases where I guess you are trying to rapidly train a large population of things that can never be fully domesticated, like dragons and hydras. In this sceneario it just means you get to wait longer between training sessions.

Edit: GCS can never be fully domesticated so I guess having a high knowledge for them would be handy for running an extensive silk farm.

TLDR: The only impact the knowledge level of your fort/civ has mechanically is a modifer to the training skill roll that effects quality. It doesn't do anything else.

To get a fully domesticated population you need a breeding pair of a species that has a child stage (like 95% of everything does). You train the parents and then train the child while it's still young. This domesticates the child and their offspring will also be domesticated.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 9, 2021

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5x_ZCo2B2k

:getin:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Looking great :thumbsup:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Edit: GCS can never be fully domesticated

Thought this said "GBS can never be fully domesticated."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Edit: GCS can never be fully domesticated so I guess having a high knowledge for them would be handy for running an extensive silk farm.

i always mod this when i start a new game because it's just too tragic otherwise

both because pet giant spiders are cool, but also because they're so rare they quickly go extinct in the wild

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Execution idea:
Capture all the giant cave spiders you possibly can. Put them all in a locked room with a 5-10 zlevel drop down to it. Put any goblins/vampires/thieves/nobles in a cage and throw them in.

Drop shouldn't kill them but at least stun them enough to be easy pray for the spiders.

Maybe you could even rig up something to drop invading straight in but since you couldn't strip and disarm them beforehand they'd just kill the spiders unless you made the fall much longer.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 13, 2021

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The classic solution is to arrange an enclosure with walls than can be shot through and also a mechanism to block line of sight when it's time to harvest the silk. The downside is that the spider wont be able to kill the invaders you drop into the target area so you have to some other way to deal with them afterwards.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you don't want falling invaders to land on your animals though because that would kill the animal but be like a big fluffy cushion for the falling person.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Set it up like the rancor pit. Keep the spiders behind a switchable door in the pit.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Execution idea:
Capture all the giant cave spiders you possibly can. Put them all in a locked room with a 5-10 zlevel drop down to it. Put any goblins/vampires/thieves/nobles in a cage and throw them in.

Drop shouldn't kill them but at least stun them enough to be easy pray for the spiders.

Maybe you could even rig up something to drop invading straight in but since you couldn't strip and disarm them beforehand they'd just kill the spiders unless you made the fall much longer.

This raises an interesting point. Carnivores don't eat. One of the main purposes of a pit full.of vicious beasts is that it's somewhat self cleaning. I think that might have something to do with why the animal pit never felt right to me in DF.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ILL Machina posted:

Set it up like the rancor pit. Keep the spiders behind a switchable door in the pit.

That seems like a smart move. Maybe even fortifications between the door and the pit so the spiders can be kept separate from Dwarves sent into to collect loot and webs afterwards.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Execution idea:

Anything that shoots webs doesn't really need any help/things to make other things easy prey given that webs are extremely broken.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

FreudianSlippers posted:

That seems like a smart move. Maybe even fortifications between the door and the pit so the spiders can be kept separate from Dwarves sent into to collect loot and webs afterwards.

You just swap the drop/collection between the two sides of the wall/door. One is empty and good for collection/dumping, the other is infested.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Nah. One of the better ways to do this is have two room seperated by a hallway in the middle with a drawbridge against the spider side. Rooms have embrasures or windows

Put a goblin or cat or whatever in one room and spiders in the other.

Whenever you need to get silk you lower the drawbridge, spider sees cat and shoots silk, then you raise the drawbridge cutting LOS which gets the spider to stop.

Some of the silk will get smooshed by the draw bridge action and you can fiddle with it for ~optimal~ returns but since its basically an infinite silk farm until the spider dies I don't really care.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

ah, happy worker's day to all toads and dworfs

:frogc00l: posted:

Here's the Steam news post from last time showing the new lever interface and a barrels-show-their-contents update.

The trade depot stuff is going well. We have a new trade depot design that shows the goods of the traders on the top portion, and the fortress goods at the bottom portion, so you'll be able to more easily see what has been placed and who is ready. The traders stand on the north side of a little table in the depot, and the broker takes their place on the south side with the fortress goods. Wagons no longer pull all the way into the depot but stop short so nothing is obscured. Pack animals are shown with graphical saddlebags now to indicate roughly the number of items they are carrying.

I've also mostly finished up the new "bring stuff to the trade depot" screen. Even though it is easier to select things now, it's sort of fundamentally unsatisfying to have everything so centralized, so we'll likely also allow the player to select individual items or entire stockpiles to be brought to the depot as well. The next big project is the trade screen itself.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

wait toady hooold up, you kind of kept this from the log

:smugdog: posted:

Do you ever get tired of jobs never being finished, and of always having to tell your dwarves which labors they are allowed to accomplish? Now all dwarves will pick up the slack. Even children will have menial tasks to perform and keep the fortress running smoothly, all for the call of industry and the greater good. But nothing will be more difficult for those of you that desire greater control over how things get done, for everything will be easier and simpler. Fear not, for change, like death, is the vehicle for a greater rebirth.

Congratulations to the generous!

:frogc00l: posted:

Thanks for helping out last month! I should finally be finishing off my move in May, and also my vaccination! Trade is coming along nicely, and the depots are looking much nicer. And yeah, we've started dipping our dwarfy toes into the labor additions. With the job auction system we had in place already, it wasn't so hard to get a basic automated labor selection in, but it will take some time to get the details correct and to continue to give people more control over job placement when they want it. This will all mix in with the workshop profile updates and updates to standing orders, and likely some other places.

April: $10368.45
March: $11024.03
February: $10831.06
January: $10584.13
December: $11154.80

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Automated labor selection?

Does that mean Dwarves will decide for themselves who is a stoneworker, grower, craftdwarf, etc?

I would be loving ecstatic if they decided that for themselves based on their personalities

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3025834967790391683

Bridges that you can see which way they retract??

Now we just need some kind of differentiation between raising and retracting.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

A bit of a shot in the dark here, but does anyone have a copy of the full soundsense music pack that was compiled for Bronzestabbed? As noted on the first page of the thread there is an early version available (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3492084&perpage=40&pagenumber=22#post405346154) but it only contains a few of the songs, which is a pity since the full pack was quite nice.

Would love to have this thing again.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
If the songs themselves are what you're after, I grabbed a bunch from Tindeck back before that went the way of the Dodo:

BronzestabbedMusic.zip

There's stuff from Loden Taylor, Orthogonalus, PureKamikaze, and a couple other creators; comparing them to that prerelease Krysmphoenix pack shows all those tracks and a few more. The actual XML file (and associated directory structure) to configure in-game Soundsense triggers is nowhere to be found, I'm sorry to say. Guess I didn't hoard this stuff as obsessively as I could have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Crackmaster posted:

If the songs themselves are what you're after, I grabbed a bunch from Tindeck back before that went the way of the Dodo:

BronzestabbedMusic.zip

There's stuff from Loden Taylor, Orthogonalus, PureKamikaze, and a couple other creators; comparing them to that prerelease Krysmphoenix pack shows all those tracks and a few more. The actual XML file (and associated directory structure) to configure in-game Soundsense triggers is nowhere to be found, I'm sorry to say. Guess I didn't hoard this stuff as obsessively as I could have.

Aw man, thank you so much. Time for some heavy-grade nostalgia :)