Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
While I do hit recover after some fuckups, it has undeniably been educational (and fun) attempting to save a bad situation. Both are useful to me; when I recover, its normally so I can dive in and try again (learn more about the route, more about the vehicle). When I tough it out, its forcing me to think on my feet, and explore problem-solving options. I've very pleased with myself when winching tipped tailers/vehicles back upright, or recovering bogged-down vehicles, or recovering spilled cargo.

And its been coming along nicely. I'm trying different vehicles and upgrades, looking for that sweet spot in each class (cobbled together a new scout vehicle that I'm very happy with). I'm very glad selling back doesn't leave you worse off, because it means I'm all up for buying something and just trying it out, even if I kind of like what I have. I'm using strategically placed fuel tankers to extend my range, and it all feels very natural.

Outside of some UX gripes that still bug me, the major bummer now is that the game has been frequently crashing my ONE X under certain circumstances. I've had a bunch of hard crashes - as in *fully* shutting my console down - and in each case, it was when loading cargo. In particular, when loading a second cargo item. Smithfield Dam seems especially bad for it, for some reason. I feel like pausing between the first loading and second loading helps, but that is probably a false attribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I would like recovering vehicles much better and probably do it rather than hit the button for it if there were both a crane that could actually do any amount of lifting of something bigger than a scout truck, and if they had a crane winch point near the top of the vehicle. It's just an exercise in frustration trying to winch something into a rock or tree in just the right way that it tips back up.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
unless you go off a cliff, winching a truck back onto its wheels is easy, the hard part is the cargo. it's why the bandit is a great recovery vehicle, the crane is a monster

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

padijun posted:

unless you go off a cliff, winching a truck back onto its wheels is easy, the hard part is the cargo. it's why the bandit is a great recovery vehicle, the crane is a monster

Weirdly, I have more luck dealing with cargo than I do the truck. What ends up happening usually is the truck either just slides across the ground and refuses to tip back up, especially if it rolled completely over, or it just gets stuck entirely on trees and rocks and can't be slid in any direction. Without any lifting power I end up just getting frustrated.

Cargo I usually do fine with somehow, although some of the bigger ones are close to impossible because they weigh as much as a truck I suppose.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

shortspecialbus posted:

truck just slides across the ground and refuses to tip back up, especially if it rolled completely over

This is the worst especially with a scout truck by itself and I always spend far too long trying to flip it back over instead of just driving another truck to help

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
the auto winch is excellent on very light scouts like the tuz 166 or scout 800. on bigger scouts (and the actaeon) it's got such a high failure rate you're better off with the advanced version.

if you're not already doing it, make sure to manually attach the winch from your rear bumper to the upper middle of the rectangle of winch points on the flipped truck, turn on your diff locks, then lay on the gas and the winch a second later. little trucks like the heavy duties and even the 750 can flip heavies if you can figure out how to use the terrain/gravity in your favor. once you have it back on the wheels, attach to whichever bumper is convenient, now there's a ghost driving the winched truck that tries to steer in the direction your vehicle is going

padijun fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 30, 2021

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
I'm sure I've said it before, but man, for as chill as this game is most of the time, it can also just be brutally hardcore. I'm *still* in Michigan, but coming along nicely. Didn't appreciate until just recently that they'd added new stuff to existing locations. No wonder things seemed so stacked! I've tapped the Black River and Smithfield Dam maps by and large, so the focus is on the 'island' locations. Dropped off a fuel trailer and repair trailer at Drummond Island so I could sustain some activity there.

Drove my scout from Smithfield Dam to Drummond Island, and then just spent ages exploring the whole area. As I was heading to the final tower I... Yep, I tipped my Chevrolet over just yards away. On literally the furthest away, opposite corner of the map from where I entered it, after having driven all the way across another map.

Yeesh. It was my own drat fault, for the record; didn't properly pay attention, took things too quickly, jinked a wheel off the edge of a wooden bridge, and that was all she wrote

Edit: I so badly need to get myself one of those winches that work when the engine is stalled. For sure, I'm not saying it'd be a panacea. But it'd offer, at times, a glimmer of hope.

magimix fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 30, 2021

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

lmfao jesus. I went there with the twinstar and managed to somehow get it into the log carrier after 20 minutes. but apparently it's a 5-slot cargo you lift into a flatbed with a normal loading crane. neat!

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
That's a big loving log :captainpop: Yukon, presumably?

For my part, I'm *finally* spending some quality time in some other location than Michigan. Not *done* with Michigan, but now that everything left involves hauling stuff across multiple maps (or feels like it anyway), I could only do so many of those contracts back to back to back before needing a change pace.

I want to polish off the final 'big ticket' item (reactivate drilling, I think), and I've one logging contract left. But I'll spread the stints for those out over time now. So many Smithfield Dam -> Drummond Island -> Island Lake trips, I've actually dreamed about it a couple of time as well.

By comparison, jumping into the first Alaska is like easy mode at this point, as I just beast-mode around in heavily modified offroad truck thats a verstile as any scout I have (except if you need to pass through a pesky small rock-gap).

Edit: Current gripe; I intensely dislike the way the game often seems to change my selected task/contract when transitioning between maps, or if I've felt the need to recover. Or just... have loaded back into the game. Is that a known issue or something?

magimix fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 5, 2021

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Hmmm... I've never noticed that before.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Oldstench posted:

Hmmm... I've never noticed that before.

Platform a factor perhaps? I'm playing the game on Xbox One X. In any case, as annoying as it is (and it *is* annoying), it isn't like it breaks the game or anything. And thankfully (touch wood) the hard-crashing issue I had a few days ago went away. In the end, it seemed to be tied to loading a particular resource from a particular location, rather than affecting loading more generally.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

No it absolutely does that on Xbox One and PC. Not all the time but fairly often, it gets especially shifty if you change trucks a bunch. It's irritating but I'm basically just used to it at this point.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

No it absolutely does that on Xbox One and PC. Not all the time but fairly often, it gets especially shifty if you change trucks a bunch. It's irritating but I'm basically just used to it at this point.

FWIW, I've had the same problem from day one on PS4. It doesn't seem to happen during multiplayer, oddly. There, it'll keep the same job open even when we switch regions.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Was chillaxing going through old zones to retrieve and sell unecessary trailers, and, well... it *was* kind of my own drat fault...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbi8gJjE_h4

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

magimix posted:

That's a big loving log :captainpop: Yukon, presumably?

wisconsin, I haven't finished the yukon yet. but now that I have a handle on the 40+ cargo missions and the wisconsin trucks, time to try it again soon.

magimix posted:

Edit: Current gripe; I intensely dislike the way the game often seems to change my selected task/contract when transitioning between maps, or if I've felt the need to recover. Or just... have loaded back into the game. Is that a known issue or something?

yeah the task/contacts interact weird when you're on the "wrong" map even if the tasks are spread over two. kind of a pain in the rear end

magimix posted:

Was chillaxing going through old zones to retrieve and sell unecessary trailers, and, well... it *was* kind of my own drat fault...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbi8gJjE_h4

too late, but next time try a crane+flatbed+trailer hitch setup for trailer collecting. the freightliner 114, bandit, azov 7, voron-d, gmc 9500, and the paystars can all do it, plus a lot more I'm forgetting

now pick a light scout. if it has a spare tire on the tailgate, take it off so it doesn't block the hitch, and use your crane to load/pack it in the flatbed. I like the international scout 800 because despite the tippiness, it has 300 rep points and 140L spare fuel a trailer hitch. the yar and loadstar are also good candidates if you have a yellow loading crane and some patience

basically, to me, the point of this game is to make as few trips as possible

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

padijun posted:

too late, but next time try a crane+flatbed+trailer hitch setup for trailer collecting. the freightliner 114, bandit, azov 7, voron-d, gmc 9500, and the paystars can all do it, plus a lot more I'm forgetting

now pick a light scout. if it has a spare tire on the tailgate, take it off so it doesn't block the hitch, and use your crane to load/pack it in the flatbed. I like the international scout 800 because despite the tippiness, it has 300 rep points and 140L spare fuel a trailer hitch. the yar and loadstar are also good candidates if you have a yellow loading crane and some patience

basically, to me, the point of this game is to make as few trips as possible

I shall certainly bear that advice in mind for future 'zone clearances' (of which I've literally every zone left to do, bar 1). For the trip in the clip, it was, as it were, a tow of convenience, since I happened to be in the right part of the map, just not in a Scout.

I've tended not to do crane stuff outside of contracts/tasks that mandate it, but I'll definitely need one to clear up the mess. I dont' *need* the cargo that was on the trailer (I've nothing left to do in the zone), but it all landed on the road, and I don't like that sort of hazard. Also the trailer itself is up a slope, mired in trees.

I'm fairly casual as this game goes (so I'm unlikely to jump on the hard mode that is apparently on the way), so have tended not to optimise for fewer trips. That said, polishing off the contracts on Island Lake might tip the balance there.

My go-to vehicles at the moment are a nicely upgraded CK1500 for scouting (less tippy than the 800, greater endurance than the Khan, faster than the Loadstar), and Western Star 49X for pretty much anything else (I sold off the Bandit once I saw how well the 49X handled offroad stuff).

I should make more of an effort to explore some of the other vehicles I have available to me. Hell, I should probably re-appraise some previously-used vehicles now I've got more upgrades/dosh available (currently L14, and 580k banked).

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
There is a sale on the epic store and I finally got it. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Is getting the dlc/season pass worth it too?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

DropsySufferer posted:

There is a sale on the epic store and I finally got it. I'm really enjoying it so far.

IMO yes. I'm not a huge fan of Lake Covid/Imandra but Yukon is pretty neat and Wisconsin is excellent. Most of the trucks you get with that are pretty good too, or at least different.

I cannot comment on any of the non-Season-Pass DLC trucks because I haven't bought them.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

DropsySufferer posted:

Worth noting that in addition to adding additional areas, it also adds a new class of contract to existing locations.

I'm deep in Michigan again, working through some of the remaining contracts. "Harbour Delivery" may not be the longest *stint* I've done, but I'm certain it is the longest 'single objective' drive I've done in the game. But pretty straightforward.

"Out with the Old", however, has me on the edge of my seat somewhat. Dragging that drat construction rig semi-trailer down the mountain roads in Smithfield Dam was super tense at spots. As for *getting* to the drilling site... I know there is a short route across the water, but ultimately I didn't have the guts for that. So I'll be taking the long-route past the farm. Currently parked up near the farm turn-off so I could repair/refuel, and take an IRL breather.

Edit: Aaaaand delivered. It is only one part of the contract, but the rest of it seems trivial by comparison. He says. Tempting fate.

magimix fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 7, 2021

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Got this game on sale and been really enjoying it.

wanted to come here and tell this story though. My dad drives a truck for a living and so I asked him what he drives... Turns out that the truck he drives is available in Snowrunner! The Freightliner 114SD.

I can't wait to unlock that truck and take a picture of it to send to him. Tell him I'm a truck driving son of a gun too!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
After getting annoyed at imandra quite some time ago I finally managed to get the garage open which makes all the difference with the map. I think the biggest issue I had was deciding to use one of the wide flatbed semi trailers which spent a majority of its time wedged in various parts of the terrain. Getting the raised suspension for the voron grad made a massive difference as well.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Getting the garage in Imandra open was the least fun I've had with this game so far. Good on you for sticking with it.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

McCracAttack posted:

Getting the garage in Imandra open was the least fun I've had with this game so far. Good on you for sticking with it.

I bailed for about 6 months until Yukon came out then moved onto that till I tipped a truck over 3 times trying to get to the mining site with cabins in tow. When I got back to it earlier this week the trailer that I got stuck on the turn onto the road up to the garage was still wedged in the snow and it took a fair bit of winching to get it around the corner. Really should go back and sort out yukon cause most of the other maps are either fully complete or just about complete.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Welp, this thread managed to sell me - picked up Mudrunner on the cheap while I wait for Snowrunner to go on sale. Disappointed Mud- doesn't have the full economic aspect that's been mentioned; was looking forward to the unlocking and upgrading and experimenting part of the simulation.

Still fairly entertaining so far. Did the first Challenge (where backing up with the trailer over the final 20m took longer than the entire rest of the trip combined :argh:) and unlocked the garage on the first map (single trip with the B-131; no idea if it would've been easier or harder with the C-truck instead). Also broke my not!Jeep somehow in the middle of an empty field trying to unlock the last Watchpoint.

Can someone explain what exactly Differential Lock does for me / when one might want to use it vs. turning it off? All-wheel Drive I understand as a trade-off at the expense of fuel consumption, but diff. lock remains arcane.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
the nicest thing I'll say about imandra is the two best upgrades in the game are there

padijun fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 20, 2021

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ghost of Starman posted:

Can someone explain what exactly Differential Lock does for me / when one might want to use it vs. turning it off? All-wheel Drive I understand as a trade-off at the expense of fuel consumption, but diff. lock remains arcane.

First you have to understand what a differential does. Please watch this short educational video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYAw79386WI

No I'm not joking. It's a neat video. Watch it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

Welp, this thread managed to sell me - picked up Mudrunner on the cheap while I wait for Snowrunner to go on sale. Disappointed Mud- doesn't have the full economic aspect that's been mentioned; was looking forward to the unlocking and upgrading and experimenting part of the simulation.

Still fairly entertaining so far. Did the first Challenge (where backing up with the trailer over the final 20m took longer than the entire rest of the trip combined :argh:) and unlocked the garage on the first map (single trip with the B-131; no idea if it would've been easier or harder with the C-truck instead). Also broke my not!Jeep somehow in the middle of an empty field trying to unlock the last Watchpoint.

Diff lock, in Mudrunner at least, is for deep mud and low speeds. It locks all the drive wheels (? been a while since I played MR) together, or not letting them slip at different rates, providing maximum tractive effort.

If you'd like to experiment, use the C-256 4x6. Play around using the diff lock to get you through tough spots. No AWD to help ypu put.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

McCracAttack posted:

First you have to understand what a differential does. Please watch this short educational video.

It’s true, this is the go to differential learning video... perfected back in the 50’s or whatever

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

namlosh posted:

It’s true, this is the go to differential learning video... perfected back in the 50’s or whatever

30s actually.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

What am I, made of time? :mad: I've got cheap pieces of rusted-out crap to embed in the not!Russian wilderness!

(No, but seriously, thank you; that's actually pretty cool.)

madeintaipei posted:

Diff lock, in Mudrunner at least, is for deep mud and low speeds. It locks all the drive wheels (? been a while since I played MR) together, or not letting them slip at different rates, providing maximum tractive effort.

If you'd like to experiment, use the C-256 4x6. Play around using the diff lock to get you through tough spots. No AWD to help you put.

Thank you! Which reminds me, can anyone call out some other vehicles as particularly good/to-be-avoided? not!Russian trucks and their names all look the same to me so far.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

McCracAttack posted:

God drat, I love those old-timey pictures. Also god drat, this is a very good primer for differentials.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm surprised differential gears aren't in high school physics simple machines yet. They are kind of obnoxiously simple.

To complete the thought, diffs have something of a breaking point. If you get any too far unbalanced force between wheels you can end up with all the power going to the wheel seeing the least resistance. You can see that in the video when he grabs the tire. This is bad for offroading because if one wheel is slightly deeper in the mid, you hit this unbalanced point and send all power to the other wheel. This can feedback a bit where because the wheel is getting too much power, it starts slipping because it's now making no contact, which means more power goes to it and so on until you have one wheel with all the power doing nothing useful.

Locking the diff makes sure both wheels see equal power. This is good in mud where you are looking for every bit of both wheels.

In Mudrunner / Snowrunner it translates to making things go really well on all surfaces. The big reason you don't lock a diff all the time in real life is because you need to pay for tires and transmission parts. There's handling reasons too but Mudrunner doesn't really sim that deep beyond your turn radius sucking a little more. Instead it just gives you transmission damage if you use it on surfaces that don't need it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

zedprime posted:

To complete the thought, diffs have something of a breaking point. If you get any too far unbalanced force between wheels you can end up with all the power going to the wheel seeing the least resistance. You can see that in the video when he grabs the tire. This is bad for offroading because if one wheel is slightly deeper in the mid, you hit this unbalanced point and send all power to the other wheel. This can feedback a bit where because the wheel is getting too much power, it starts slipping because it's now making no contact, which means more power goes to it and so on until you have one wheel with all the power doing nothing useful.

Locking the diff makes sure both wheels see equal power. This is good in mud where you are looking for every bit of both wheels.

Yeah, this was part two of the assignment. But if you start here then the next question is "Well why not have it locked all the time?"

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I really enjoy the cooperative type aspects so if anyone else has it on PC let me know I'll jump in and help ya out.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I recall a good video on youtube showing open / locked diff with a roller track but can't find it, this one is similar though (timestamped):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcYLju1lQ5s&t=39s

Kind of surprised that the games simulate this fairly well and you can get into situations where you have just one wheel spinning. Unintentional or not though you can sometimes rev the piss out of it and get some movement anyway, due to the stupid way the gears are simulated though if you do it in low you will get nowhere.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

I really enjoy the cooperative type aspects so if anyone else has it on PC let me know I'll jump in and help ya out.

Elendil is fun to play with, people should take him up on this.

My wife has been playing some but I'm back to being a bit burned out on it and have been doing simracing instead lately, but I imagine we'll shoot you a message at some point coming up.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
add The TUZ Oaf on epic if you want to coop, I'm on the west coast

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The more I play this loving game the more I start to hate it. I initially loved it but it has so many loving minor annoyances or major failures that end up completely loving you over.

I'm currently trying to pull the construction semi to the drilling site but the loving thing is on its side in a muddy ditch and I literally have no way of righting it. This has happened multiple times and each time I drive another 20 feet only for the trailer to magically get stuck and stop moving again. I have orbited the loving thing multiple times and there isn't a bit of it hitting the ground that isn't the tires, it just won't loving move. Earlier it got "stuck" on the power lines and wouldn't loving move on paved road. Reloading it suddenly would clip through the lines just loving fine.

I've been googling but apparently there's no loving way to reset the trailer itself like you can the trucks so I am hosed for progress and cannot go any further in the game anymore because this loving thing cannot be winched out, turned over, or dragged further. Holy loving poo poo.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Try playing co-op and get a buddy to point at it with you while they tell you how they'd handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah, find a time for me and one other goon to jump in and help you, it's so much more fun and solid, half the time all it takes is someone letting you winch them or riding next to the trailer. I'm Elendil004#1776 on discord.