Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Horny recruiters are looking at your hackerrank! Get a longer score here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i dunno what foreplay means in your corner of the world but thats just a horny rear end recruiter thing

horny rear end-recruiter? 🤔

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Xik posted:

They're just following the industry standard and making sure only insufferable pricks fill architect roles.

make org charts public

edit: i also find it insufferable because its now how things work; by the point where you're "tech lead" on XYZ you should also be able to demonstrate how you guided other teams that were adjacent to your expertise and that's equally important. if you can't talk about that, its because you weren't actually the tech lead.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i dunno what foreplay means in your corner of the world but thats just a horny rear end recruiter thing

- horny, and a recruiter
- horny, and an rear end-recruiter
- recruits horny asses

I approve of at least two of these

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PokeJoe posted:

The email itself is borderline horny

hmm yeah i guess it's a bit horny-'

*hits foreplay*

oh. ooooh

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

FamDav posted:

make org charts public

edit: i also find it insufferable because its now how things work; by the point where you're "tech lead" on XYZ you should also be able to demonstrate how you guided other teams that were adjacent to your expertise and that's equally important. if you can't talk about that, its because you weren't actually the tech lead.
Ya that sounds about right.

Also, the job I was interviewing for and getting nerd hazed for was advertised a mid level 3-5 years experience. The one guy just kept drilling down about architecture decisions that were made by senior folk before I even joined the company.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

What’s it gonna take for you to get fully inserted into $company, today?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
how do i interpret the percentiles on this chart? not literally in the sense of "what do percentiles mean" but figuratively in the sense of what does a 75th percentile software engineer look like? is this so company-specific that an example would be meaningless?

i've been working as a data engineer for ~5 years and my skillset seems very valuable but i'm not like "playing golf with founders" type of big deal, i'm just extremely competent and have ten years of dev experience and five in the big figgy aws/plang/data science domain. where should i be on this graph?

my gross pay is currently 46th percentile, which feels loving awful but maybe my expectations are skewed by the fact that usually when percentiles are talked about i'm comfortably in the 90s because im an ostensibly cishet white male and i excel at standardized tests

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The percentile refers to the distribution of salaries.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

how do i interpret the percentiles on this chart? not literally in the sense of "what do percentiles mean" but figuratively in the sense of what does a 75th percentile software engineer look like? is this so company-specific that an example would be meaningless?

is it not just salary percentile? if it's that, then a 75th percentile engineer is one who gets paid that much. I guarantee you there is at best a loose corellation to experience or skill

it's best to not really worry about poo poo like salary percentiles and just do some stuff that'll get you more money if you want more money. like finding a new job, because that's basically the only way to get a raise over 6% or so

quote:

my gross pay is currently 46th percentile

sounds like you should be getting paid more. try applying for some jobs

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Corla Plankun posted:

how do i interpret the percentiles on this chart? not literally in the sense of "what do percentiles mean" but figuratively in the sense of what does a 75th percentile software engineer look like?

white and male, most likely. this is correct:

Arcsech posted:

a 75th percentile engineer is one who gets paid that much. I guarantee you there is at best a loose corellation to experience or skill

it's best to not really worry about poo poo like salary percentiles and just do some stuff that'll get you more money if you want more money. like finding a new job, because that's basically the only way to get a raise over 6% or so

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Corla Plankun posted:

i've been working as a data engineer for ~5 years and my skillset seems very valuable but i'm not like "playing golf with founders" type of big deal, i'm just extremely competent and have ten years of dev experience and five in the big figgy aws/plang/data science domain. where should i be on this graph?

my gross pay is currently 46th percentile, which feels loving awful but maybe my expectations are skewed by the fact that usually when percentiles are talked about i'm comfortably in the 90s because im an ostensibly cishet white male and i excel at standardized tests

how did you get this chart? i'm trying to get the same thing for pittsburgh and coming up blank. amazon/google/apple/facebook/uber have been expanding their presences here and i want to see how much it's been skewing the market here. i negotiated my current role perfectly and know i'm sitting at the top of not only my pay band of what this company offers in general, and they're pretty generous, but obviously they're not faang territory

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

how did you get this chart? i'm trying to get the same thing for pittsburgh and coming up blank. amazon/google/apple/facebook/uber have been expanding their presences here and i want to see how much it's been skewing the market here. i negotiated my current role perfectly and know i'm sitting at the top of not only my pay band of what this company offers in general, and they're pretty generous, but obviously they're not faang territory
It's from levels.fyi: https://www.levels.fyi/Salaries/Software-Engineer/Pittsburgh-Area/

Doesn't look like it generates one for Pittsburgh automatically like other metros though.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

salaries -> by location

you want https://www.levels.fyi/Salaries/Software-Engineer/Pittsburgh-Area/

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I got weirdly neg'ed by a recruiter today because I told him the pay for the position he's pitching would be a decent step down for me.

"Unless you're going after a FAANG company or hedge fund, it's going to be difficult to get that much more."

Dude, you messaged me? Usually a recruiter just says "ok, thanks, i'll hit you up in the future maybe", first time for this approach.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Steve Jorbs posted:

It's from levels.fyi: https://www.levels.fyi/Salaries/Software-Engineer/Pittsburgh-Area/

Doesn't look like it generates one for Pittsburgh automatically like other metros though.

yeah this is what i was looking at but i guess pittsburgh is special and doesn't get a fancy chart

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

JehovahsWetness posted:

I got weirdly neg'ed by a recruiter today because I told him the pay for the position he's pitching would be a decent step down for me.

"Unless you're going after a FAANG company or hedge fund, it's going to be difficult to get that much more."

Dude, you messaged me? Usually a recruiter just says "ok, thanks, i'll hit you up in the future maybe", first time for this approach.

how often do you think someone comes back with "oh dang, for real? well maybe tell me more"

it's probably not never so....

e:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah this is what i was looking at but i guess pittsburgh is special and doesn't get a fancy chart

oh poo poo, weird. i just right-click->copied the link instead of clicking through, but yeah, no chart :shrug:

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Just "finished" a coding challenge where the instructions involved designing and implementing a complex multi-level data structure, implementing 5 algorithms within that structure, creating unit tests, a driver program, and a properly configured makefile to build a dynamic library. All in C++

I was given 4 hours to complete all of this from nothing. Maybe I'm just a poo poo programmer but that seemed like a ridiculous amount to accomplish within that time frame. The only thing I got done was maybe 75% of the data structure implementation and the makefile.

I did a take home assignment last weekend that took a hair over 6 hours and had maybe half the work that was involved for this.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Steve Jorbs posted:

Just "finished" a coding challenge where the instructions involved designing and implementing a complex multi-level data structure, implementing 5 algorithms within that structure, creating unit tests, a driver program, and a properly configured makefile to build a dynamic library. All in C++

I was given 4 hours to complete all of this from nothing. Maybe I'm just a poo poo programmer but that seemed like a ridiculous amount to accomplish within that time frame. The only thing I got done was maybe 75% of the data structure implementation and the makefile.

I did a take home assignment last weekend that took a hair over 6 hours and had maybe half the work that was involved for this.

why would you even begin that challenge after reading the brief?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I think a challenge like that would tip me over the edge. If it came from a org directly I would probably take the rep hit and actually tell them to get hosed. If it's a recruiter I care about maintaining a relationship with then I guess say it in a slightly less aggressive way.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Steve Jorbs posted:

I’m definitely a poo poo programmer but that sounds absurd

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

why would you even begin that challenge after reading the brief?
Because I'm a loving idiot. At least this time I had already spoken with a recruiter and senior engineer before being given this.

The brief mentions that I should feel free to continue working on it after the time limit and push further changes but they wanted to see the progress at the 4 hour mark. No thanks.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

what was the data structure? not asking because maybe you should've been ok with it, asking bc i wanna see just how hosed up they are

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

what was the data structure? not asking because maybe you should've been ok with it, asking bc i wanna see just how hosed up they are
Well, I'm being a bit cagey on purpose, but it was a type of mesh and the algorithms provided for varying degrees of dynamic manipulation of it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Was the job something where you'd actually need to be able to implement something like that?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Was the job something where you'd actually need to be able to implement something like that?
It was relevant to the field the company works in.

In retrospect it wasn't hard, but given the time pressure I felt like the amount of work being asked was unrealistic for 4 hours. It took me nearly an hour to get a crappy makefile setup and to begin understanding the problem space. If I had a full day and a half or two working on this I could probably have gotten it to a point where I would be OK with putting it up for review. I'd still need to pick an appropriate unit testing solution and implement it though.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Steve Jorbs posted:

It was relevant to the field the company works in.

In retrospect it wasn't hard, but given the time pressure I felt like the amount of work being asked was unrealistic for 4 hours. It took me nearly an hour to get a crappy makefile setup and to begin understanding the problem space. If I had a full day and a half or two working on this I could probably have gotten it to a point where I would be OK with putting it up for review. I'd still need to pick an appropriate unit testing solution and implement it though.

sounds like it’s hard as poo poo. realistically if I meet a problem I’ve never seen before I’ll need a ton of time to research it let alone implement anything

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

sounds like it’s hard as poo poo. realistically if I meet a problem I’ve never seen before I’ll need a ton of time to research it let alone implement anything

The one thing I don't get about these tests all they can do is point to a lovely environment for producing software. Like why do you only have 4 hours to do this by yourself? Why are you hiring someone with that skill which is presumably entirely useless in your actual real life development process. Unless it's not useless and your development process is a tyre fire and that's what you'll be doing day to day.

I'm on board with Joel Spolseky and writing code in interviews is kinda important but these test have taken the concept too far. I always liked doing a code review in an interview instead.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Aramoro posted:

The one thing I don't get about these tests all they can do is point to a lovely environment for producing software. Like why do you only have 4 hours to do this by yourself? Why are you hiring someone with that skill which is presumably entirely useless in your actual real life development process. Unless it's not useless and your development process is a tyre fire and that's what you'll be doing day to day.

I'm on board with Joel Spolseky and writing code in interviews is kinda important but these test have taken the concept too far. I always liked doing a code review in an interview instead.

I usually consider my current job when looking at these things. On a good day I might be writing software 30% of the time, with the rest of the time spent looking at other peoples code for review or trying to find out what's going on, then meetings, time keeping and all the rest of it. I also spend a surprising amount of time hashing out what the right course of action is for proceeding with a given problem. Really my job title should be software designer first, developer second.

The best take home I've encountered was ironically in a terrible software shop in the Danish state. It was set up as: Call API, treat the data you receive by these rules we give you, send back in this json format. Clear cut, simple, and had an emphasis on spending at the most 4 hours on the problem and send whatever you've made, they will be used as a point of discussion.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Aramoro posted:

Ya I don't hate having to do assignments like this in general as long as I have the time to do so. The one I did last week was fairly interesting to do, relevant to the job, and gave us something to talk about besides C++ trivia during the panel interview I had a couple of days ago. They also gave clear implementation details and expectations of the deliverable.

For this assignment gone by, if they really wanted a library file with proper unit tests I think it would have been appropriate for them to give me something already mostly setup. Hand me a project that includes the data structure mostly fleshed out and some failing tests. Implement a couple of pieces of missing functionality to pass the existing tests and perhaps design a new test on top.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
What about: have the candidate sign an NDA, sit them in front of a laptop that is suitably credentialed for the company's GitHub or whatever, ask the candidate to check out an old tag of your webshit product and set up a basic dev environment, then have them implement a basic bug fix ticket. Make it clear that it's something that has long since been fixed in production and that you're not trying to get free work out of them or whatever.

If your webshit product is decently designed then it shouldn't take too long to launch its dependent services in docker-compose and load in some dummy data (I realize I'm potentially asking a lot here), the candidate demonstrates some actual day-to-day job skills, and they get to see the festering shitpile they'll be working on first-hand so the exercise is useful for them too.

I guess I'm being rather optimistic that somebody could ferret their way around a completely unfamiliar huge codebase quickly enough to find and fix some simple problem in the space of <3 hrs but christ anything is better than another stupid algorithms exercise.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Sapozhnik posted:

What about : have the candidate sign an NDA, sit them in front of a laptop that is suitably credentialed for the company's GitHub or whatever, ask the candidate to check out an old tag of your webshit product and set up a basic dev environment, then have them implement a basic bug fix ticket. Make it clear that it's something that has long since been fixed in production and that you're not trying to get free work out of them or whatever.

If your webshit product is decently designed then it shouldn't take too long to launch its dependent services in docker-compose and load in some dummy data (I realize I'm potentially asking a lot here), the candidate demonstrates some actual day-to-day job skills, and they get to see the festering shitpile they'll be working on first-hand so the exercise is useful for them too.

I guess I'm being rather optimistic that somebody could ferret their way around a completely unfamiliar huge codebase quickly enough to find and fix some simple problem in the space of <3 hrs but christ anything is better than another stupid algorithms exercise.

i like the sentiment but how much time would you budget for an actual new hire to be able to set up a dev environment and build the product from scratch? because for anything non-trivial it won't be much less than three hours

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

raminasi posted:

i like the sentiment but how much time would you budget for an actual new hire to be able to set up a dev environment and build the product from scratch? because for anything non-trivial it won't be much less than three hours

for a DevOps role we had a custom laptop with an AWS account and vs code, pycharms, and a few other things. the task was to deploy a 3 tier web app in any way you wanted to aws and have it scaled. it was DevOps fizzbuzz. we’d then talk about the solution what you wanted to do and how you’d do it for real given x y z real world criteria.

I quite liked that one from the number of bad DevOps hires that was made before it.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

raminasi posted:

My job two jobs ago did a take-home variation that was great. They just ripped a few dependant classes from real code into a standalone solution, and the task was to refactor it into something less poo poo and fix a few bugs. Any reasonable dev would be able to have a good go, and there were a few bonus points domain specific bugs hidden about for devs with experience.

Interview at my last job was a pairing session to get a simple typescript aws lambda up and running from scratch. It could have been awful but the interviewer made it really clear that we only had an hour and he didn't expect us to finish, he just wanted to see how I worked. Later on I helped with a few interviews done the same way and noticed that some people are *really bad* at googling for stuff.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

What about interviews that prohibit googling, I hate those and don't really see the point, especially if using some crappy online IDE without syntax highlighting or suggestions.

I think my current job did that though.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 3, 2021

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Sometimes when you interview it feels like the interviewers really want you to succeed and are on your team, other times it feels like they're against you, trying to catch you out or wanting you to fail.

Obvs there are times its appropriate, but a coding challenge where you can't google stuff feels like it would be a you-vs-us interview and I generally take that as a big red flag.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Private Speech posted:

What about interviews that prohibit googling, I hate those and don't really see the point, especially if using some crappy online IDE without syntax highlighting or suggestions.

I think my current job did that though.

Very dumb.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

toiletbrush posted:

Sometimes when you interview it feels like the interviewers really want you to succeed and are on your team, other times it feels like they're against you, trying to catch you out or wanting you to fail.

Obvs there are times its appropriate, but a coding challenge where you can't google stuff feels like it would be a you-vs-us interview and I generally take that as a big red flag.

I hate the adversarial interview. Because then if I accept an offer I’m suddenly supposed to make nice and sing kumbaya with these folks who had spent a day of my time trying to make me fail.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

the only adversarial interview i had which was good was for a consulting gig where the guy said upfront that he was going to be roleplaying an rear end in a top hat client. after it was over he went back to his normal self to sort of unwind things and blow off the pressure. that's one of the only scenarios i can think of where that kind of mindset is actually appropriate to the job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the only adversarial interview i had which was good was for a consulting gig where the guy said upfront that he was going to be roleplaying an rear end in a top hat client. after it was over he went back to his normal self to sort of unwind things and blow off the pressure. that's one of the only scenarios i can think of where that kind of mindset is actually appropriate to the job

Its on my bucket list to teach a highschool or college software development course and have this as part of the class project: Groups present progress of their projects and I'm either a clueless or irate customer, a good chance to pepper in the ridiculous poo poo I've heard over my career ("just make it [our search functionality] work like google", "can you estimate this <insanely ambiguous thing> for me (then hold them to that estimate)" etc.

So that seems like a solid interview approach, I think someone did that to me without telling me at some job interview a couple of years ago but its a little less effective if you aren't explaining whats going on