Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

hooah posted:

Lol good straw man.

It's not a strawman as such, it's an example of where efficiency meets ethics in farming, everyone has a line that they're willing to draw somewhere on the scale. The efficiency argument always comes up when people discuss organic farming. If efficiency is king then surely vacuum harvesting is fine? But if you think vacuum harvesting is not fine, then you're willing to compromise efficiency for some things and the debate becomes which things.

A shameful snipe , have a photo of one my rescue hens furious that snow exists.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 12:28 on May 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aramoro posted:

It's not a strawman as such, it's an example of where efficiency meets ethics in farming, everyone has a line that they're willing to draw somewhere on the scale. The efficiency argument always comes up when people discuss organic farming. If efficiency is king then surely vacuum harvesting is fine? But if you think vacuum harvesting is not fine, then you're willing to compromise efficiency for some things and the debate becomes which things.

The goon said basically “there’s a difference in yields so that should be evaluated when you talk about the overall environmental impact, since you can do less farming with the nonorganic methods” and you went fully aggro about it and launched into some kind of worst case example like they were lusting for bird death.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

jason_momoa_opens_camping_chair.gif

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Aramoro posted:

At the same time though USDA estimate 31% of food in the US is wasted so it's almost as if the loss in yield would be largely irrelevant.

I don't understand why people get so upset about food waste. Food waste kind of comes with the territory. When you produce something for which people expect constant availability but also is inexpensive and spoils quickly there will be waste. One way to reduce food waste would be to limit availability of fresh food and produce and to sell more processed food which has a longer shelf life.

I don't think you can just assume that you can just absorb the lower yields of organic food into the food waste %--that's more than a little optimistic. edit: It's the same sort of magical thinking as believing that we could eliminate traffic jams if everyone when driving would just pay more attention and accelerate faster off the line.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 12:35 on May 3, 2021

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I am an organic strawman.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Birds getting vacuumed to death is extremely funny, but I would probably just put a net over the nozzle to avoid damaging the equipment. Problem solved.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

People always forget the very next scene in that episode.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

hooah posted:

Lol good straw man.

It's more of a flexible tube, actually

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I lust for olives and bird death

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I like olives and birds and I think the farming derail, once interesting, has probably just about run its course in the Gorilla Violence thread.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Muffled sounds of bird vacuuming

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
LITERALLY A BIRD VACUUM

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's a living.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno about all the organic vs robotic or whatever terms, but the simply pop tarts that are organic are bangin'.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
I was going to come out of a years-long posting hiatus to pile onto the food derail of all things. Since I had decided to post, here’s a post.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Paladinus posted:

People always forget the very next scene in that episode.

What’s the next scene?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

oldpainless posted:

What’s the next scene?

I don't remember. Few people do, really

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

oldpainless posted:

What’s the next scene?

There isn't one, that was the end of the series.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
BLOOD FOR THE
Be Afraid to Give
BLOOD GOD

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
But, But Blood God, I need that blood to live!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Funny farming word picture:

My buddy worked on a biodynamic apple orchard and had a wild time. The farmer refused to cut or even bat down the grass surrounding the trees so it was my friend's job to lie down and log roll himself across the grass to gently push it down. Hilarious, and especially so when you consider how many wasps and hornets hang out around fallen fruit in an orchard. I asked him why he didn't just use a log or wood tied to rope to flatten grass and he said it would have been "too rough on the grass life"

My friend eventually lost the job when the farmer discovered that he wasn't saving all his urine in jugs to be used as fertilizer.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Jesus, I should have stuck to the Stonehenge example.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What's the farmer's username?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I always find "all natural ingredients" a hilarious qualifier

Like, anything that wasn't made in an atom smasher
All unnatural ingredients. Hound of Tinadalos steak.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Zereth posted:

All unnatural ingredients. Hound of Tinadalos steak.

Reminds me there was this bitching Vietnamese place in the Baskervilles......

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Why do adult americans care so much about ugly shoes

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Those shoes cost :20bux: so it's considered :homebrew: to show how new & fresh they are.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What cost more? The shoes or the ring?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lobok posted:

What cost more? The shoes or the ring?

In my experience? The shoes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The shoes are something you pay a scalper hundreds of dollars for because you weren't already in line when they went on sale.

The ring you get out of one of those little gumball machine looking things at a Cici's Pizza.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Shoe collecting is dumb as gently caress

However

It's a thing in poverty stricken cultures where the appearance of wealth is of utmost importance, so several hundred dollar "rare" shoes that you've never worn become a high prize in terms of social wealth and standing.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Plus, overpriced as they may be, they still function to keep your feet dry and stuff. Unless you have an urgent need to cut some concrete, I don't think that diamond is ever gonna get much use.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What does "drip" refer to in this context? Awesomeness of the shoes?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

From context I would assume they are trying to avoid flexing the toe of the shoe back and/or scuffing it.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

aphid_licker posted:

Apparently it means this:

https://slangit.com/meaning/drip

quote:

Drip is a slang term that refers to a person's sense of style that is considered sexy or cool. It is a variation of "Swag" and was made popular by hip-hop culture.

Drip gained mainstream popularity in 2018 as its use in Rap/Hip-hop songs spread to listeners who adopted the term as a way to describe a person's, often a guy's, impressive appearance. Typically, the term refers to fashion, like clothes and shoes, but it may also refer to how one carries himself. It is commonly used online, especially on social sites like Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Example
"That beast has some serious drip."

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

aphid_licker posted:

Drip is just new slang meaning “ am looking currently fashionable”

Aka “ looking fly!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

aphid_licker posted:

Drip is what makes you look fly.