Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blowjob Overtime posted:

The insulation bit was just for ease of replacement. Our upper floor bathroom fan in MN was a pain in the rear end because of so much blown-in insulation sitting on top of it in the attic fell down replacing it. Best case I'm imagining an old fan that's just not running well and can be swapped out relatively easily.

Ohhhhh, I get it. Yeah....anyone with blown insulation should have a plastic snowshovel that you just leave in the attic. I'm not kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Blowjob Overtime posted:

No, not a need for unassembled. It's just cheaper and seems less likely to be damaged. Based on Ikea experience, getting them all put together well and level is a fear of mine, so if there are benefits to shipping assembled I'm 100% open to that.

If they're damaged you write "REFUSED - DAMAGED" on the bill of lading, tear out your copy, and move on with your life. Do not miss the delivery, do not sign anything until you crack them all open and verify they aren't damaged, do not forget your copy if you have to mark damage. (Refer to your shipping instructions, they may allow 48hrs or something to note damage. If they don't, the delivery person can wait no matter how surly.)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

Ohhhhh, I get it. Yeah....anyone with blown insulation should have a plastic snowshovel that you just leave in the attic. I'm not kidding.

And make sure to wear an N95 mask. Those fiberglass particles will gently caress you up.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Motronic posted:

….this is genius and I have an old snow shovel that the metal strip has ground off of. I know that I’m doing when I get up there next, which coincidentally is exactly what we are talking about. There is a tear in the exhaust ducting for the master bath fan, so I’m gonna replace it all including for the other bathroom while I’m at it.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 3, 2021

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Sorry if there’s a better thread for this, but can someone remind me the name of the company/association for independent insurance brokers? Trying to get new quotes for home/auto/life and my googling is letting me down.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'm in need of a ceiling fan that is not wireless/remote/Alexa. I just want to use a wall switch to make the fan spin, and a switch to turn on the light. Does anyone know of a good model? We had Hunters in our last place, other than the cheap remote they worked great.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Yooper posted:

I'm in need of a ceiling fan that is not wireless/remote/Alexa. I just want to use a wall switch to make the fan spin, and a switch to turn on the light. Does anyone know of a good model? We had Hunters in our last place, other than the cheap remote they worked great.

Hunter makes ones that don’t have a remote, they’re plenty serviceable fans

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Any of the ones from a big box store should do.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Two of the kids bedrooms upstairs have ceiling fans but they didn’t bother running a second switch/wire to handle the fan. Not having the manuals left by the PO, can I assume that any reasonably recent ceiling fan can support dual switches or am I gonna have to take one apart to make sure before I start cutting out a 2-gang box and dropping the wire up and over?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Yooper posted:

I've got a couple of these in bedrooms/offices around the house:
Westinghouse Lighting 7234100 Comet Indoor Ceiling Fan with Light

And Lutron Maestro fan controllers for each (i got mine for cheap b/c i got some fun colors)
https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Maestro-Incandescent-Single-Pole-MACL-LFQ-WH/dp/B077XDB8FV

Edit: to be clear, the Maestro's are not remotely required, but purely so I don't have to pull the chain.. The other features are nice too, but most days the fan stays set somewhere in the medium range and just gets turned on and off.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 3, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

devmd01 posted:

Two of the kids bedrooms upstairs have ceiling fans but they didn’t bother running a second switch/wire to handle the fan. Not having the manuals left by the PO, can I assume that any reasonably recent ceiling fan can support dual switches or am I gonna have to take one apart to make sure before I start cutting out a 2-gang box and dropping the wire up and over?

It would surprise me to find one without a second wire for the light, but given you have to pull it down regardless I would check there first. Plus you can push the wire into the attic/cavity. If you are feeling really brave just use the /2 wire to pull the /3 wire.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Sorry if there’s a better thread for this, but can someone remind me the name of the company/association for independent insurance brokers? Trying to get new quotes for home/auto/life and my googling is letting me down.

Most states have a group that handles regional marketing/membership and stuff. <State> independent insurance agents works for me.

There's a national listing as well which is probably what you're looking for.

https://www.trustedchoice.com/

Yooper posted:

I've used Hunter, Hampton Bay, and HD/Lowes store branded, they all work fine. The hard part is going to be finding something that works in the style you want that does not have a remote. I spent a fair bit of money making sure every room in my current house was wired with 2 switches for a ceiling fan with a light, only to find out when I was buying fans that almost everything was ran off a remote control these days. There were some old style 3 bulb fans with pull chains like your grandma has, but we didn't want that style. We ended up with remote control units. It looks like there are some more stylish options now.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

skipdogg posted:

I've used Hunter, Hampton Bay, and HD/Lowes store branded, they all work fine. The hard part is going to be finding something that works in the style you want that does not have a remote. I spent a fair bit of money making sure every room in my current house was wired with 2 switches for a ceiling fan with a light, only to find out when I was buying fans that almost everything was ran off a remote control these days. There were some old style 3 bulb fans with pull chains like your grandma has, but we didn't want that style. We ended up with remote control units. It looks like there are some more stylish options now.

This is kind of what we're running into. The last time I did this I was surprised that it had a remote. The remote was OK but it felt cheesy having a flimsy plastic over plate mounted onto the switch. People always turned off the switch without it, then you'd wonder why the fan didn't work, track down batteries, only to realize someone flipped the light switch.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Yooper posted:

E. I misunderstood what you were looking for but I’ll leave the post for informations sake and because all the Minkas I’ve had are good. Sorry!

I’ve used Minka fans and find them very good especially if you can get them on sale. I had the same issue with needing a remote because of the wiring in a pool house not allowing for a switch. I have this one and it’s very quiet and moves air well.

https://www.build.com/minkaaire-orb/s1634402?uid=3876671

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 3, 2021

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Most fans that come with remotes have optional receiver modules that you install when you hang the fan. If you don't install the module then you have to use a switch to control it.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Most states have a group that handles regional marketing/membership and stuff. <State> independent insurance agents works for me.

There's a national listing as well which is probably what you're looking for.

https://www.trustedchoice.com/

This was perfect thanks

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks for the fan info folks. If all else I'll be that weirdo that opens a dozen boxes inspecting wiring harnesses.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
This seems like a possible unexpectedly good place to ask this:

We are moving in a couple of months and:
a.) I will shortly have a post asking some advice on some specific small scale home fixes. I went around and took pics of all things I want done.
b.) but first I was wondering if there is just some general advice out there.

I recently got a job in NC and moving from MS. I'm currently working my job remotely. I'll be moving (with no moving assistance unfortunately) us in a couple of months.

1900 sqft home. 3bed/2ba - kind of your average home. Don't have tons of junk (our attics are empty) but with very little down time and needing to get to an apartment (wont' be able to buy a house until we get there given the insane market) it's getting hard to figure out where the hell to even start.

Right now we're looking at getting 3 of the UHaul "UPack" pods and set them up for the month of June. We'll pack non-apartment essentials into those and then get a 17" or less (hopefully) truck delivered right at the end to pack the stuff we'll need into an apartment and then take off from there. But it's just like... really loving easy to get overwhelmed and not know where to start. With two kids and zero family/friends support in the area... we have very little time.

So just wondering if anybody did anything like this recently and had any "oh I wish I had known this when I did it" pieces of advice.

Thanks now I gotta go breath into a paper bag.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

NomNomNom posted:

Most fans that come with remotes have optional receiver modules that you install when you hang the fan. If you don't install the module then you have to use a switch to control it.

You've got to double check the wiring on the newer fans. I didn't install the remotes for the fans I put in my first house, they were totally optional. I have Hunter Contempo II LED fans in my current house, and when we bought them on special (99 bucks @ Costco, PBUC), i thought I could do the same. Sadly to the best of my knowledge the remote module is not optional. There's a few people online who have rewired the internals a bit to make them work off wall switches, but that's way outside my comfort zone, and I'm not trying to burn my house down. fake edit: Upon further searching, it looks like it's possible to use a fan speed controller and bypass the remote on these, but I'm not 100% sure.

I have a big 70" Harbor Breeze fan in my main living room, and that thing just connects to electricity. 100% have to use the remote.

The remotes haven't been that big of a deal to me really. I bought a Bond device and tied it into the rest of the Alexa stuff, so I don't really have to deal with the remotes very often. Alexa can turn the lights on/off and lower/increase fan speed as needed.

I'm not sure I'd do it differently. Hunter makes a model called Antero that is almost the same but can be wired to a dual switch setup directly. I wanted some smart home control though, so I was planning on getting z-wave fan and light control switches. Buying a single Bond device to control all the fans is a ton less expensive than buying a bunch of z-wave switches.

TL;DR; double check wiring diagrams before buying a fan

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

NomNomNom posted:

Yeah I bought one of those 15 dollar remotes from amazon and hooked it up I did not feel like wiring up a second switch.

PO had a badly wired fan control switch (broken?) in the wall so I used the switch loop as a light control and then use the remote for the fan. This way I actually have the ability to turn the light on and off since the PO did not have it wired up this way. (I think there is another switch outside of the bedroom door that could operate a outlet on the other side of the room I could have put a lamp on. TLDR it's all very weird. But good news is my icemaker isn't hooked up on my fridge.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

BonoMan posted:

a.) I will shortly have a post asking some advice on some specific small scale home fixes. I went around and took pics of all things I want done.

I recently got a job in NC and moving from MS. I'm currently working my job remotely. I'll be moving (with no moving assistance unfortunately) us in a couple of months.

1900 sqft home. 3bed/2ba - kind of your average home. Don't have tons of junk (our attics are empty) but with very little down time and needing to get to an apartment (wont' be able to buy a house until we get there given the insane market) it's getting hard to figure out where the hell to even start.

Right now we're looking at getting 3 of the UHaul "UPack" pods and set them up for the month of June. We'll pack non-apartment essentials into those and then get a 17" or less (hopefully) truck delivered right at the end to pack the stuff we'll need into an apartment and then take off from there. But it's just like... really loving easy to get overwhelmed and not know where to start. With two kids and zero family/friends support in the area... we have very little time.

So just wondering if anybody did anything like this recently and had any "oh I wish I had known this when I did it" pieces of advice.

Packing your poo poo into boxes is going to take 5 times as long as you think. Take pictures of the packed boxes and/or make a spreadsheet with boxes labeled with what’s in them.

Give away/sell/toss as much crap as you can now, before packing/moving it. Dont pack/ship/unpack consumable poo poo you haven’t used in months and can just buy when you do need it in the future.

Do you need those garden tools and pottery, or are you just planning for a future yard/porch you may or may not have? Why are you keeping those soy sauce packets in your kitchen drawer? Soy sauce is like $2.50 a bottle. gently caress all those USB flash drives in particular too, you don’t need them. Boxes of thank you notes from 2004. Why are you packing half empty containers of Windex and 409 and Clorox and poo poo? You aren’t going to make anything with that red wine vinegar or salad dressing from your pantry and they’re probably 5 years expired anyway.

I’m being somewhat facetious and maybe you aren’t doing this but the endless boxes of piled up unclassified miscellanea are what drove me insane and we just moved across town, not across country.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
They also make 1 gang wall remotes that replace the switch entirely. Leaving you with a remote that costs a lot but doesn't need batteries or get lost.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BonoMan posted:

You're on the right track. I did something similar, but we stayed in town. Sold our old house, spent 3 months in an apartment while the new one was being built. No family or support local either.

Break things down into manageable chunks. Life is insane with 2 kids, jobs, and everything else going on. Even if you can get 45 minutes to go through 1 bedroom closet, thats a win. Just do a little bit at a time. Break it down into 30 to 60 minute chunks, and schedule it. You're not going to be doing much else the next month.

Purge everything you don't need. We had over 8 years of accumulated baby clothes, accoutrement,etc. Good clothes got donated, things that couldn't get donated got trashed. Stuff we didn't need anymore got posted on NextDoor or FaceBook.

If you're budget allows go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a bunch of boxes. They have a great selection and they're really not that expensive. It was really nice dealing with similar sized boxes for all our stuff, and made moving easier. Box up all your nonessential stuff (you'll be surprised how much stuff you own that is non essential), and put it in a staging area. I used my garage. I have tons of kitchen stuff, but really only use a core set of things on a regular basis. I didn't miss my kitchenaid or springform pans the 4 months I didn't have them.

Start clearing out your pantry and freezer(s). Get rid of the expired stuff, or anything you haven't used in a week. Meal plan to consume the rest of it.

Pay movers. The best money you'll ever spend is paying someone else to load and unload your stuff for you. You should be able to find help to load/unload your truck on each end of the trip.

Get a plastic filing box and put all your important stuff in it (birth certs, marriage licenses, etc). That box stays with you at all times. I'm assuming you're wife will be driving her and the kids in a vehicle, while you drive the U-Haul. The box goes in the car with the kids.

Plastic totes are great for moving some stuff as well. On moving day we just threw everything left in our bathrooms into a couple plastic totes, slapped the lid on, and threw them in the back of the truck. If something spilled it was contained.

Involve the kids, not sure how old yours are, but mine were 8 and 6 at the time. I put a couple boxes in their room and had them load things up they didn't need until we got to the new house. I made it sound like an adventure and their stuff would be waiting for them. They won't be much help, but they'll be some help, and they get to feel involved.

My ADD brain can focus on something small like organizing/sorting the junk drawer and end up spending 2 hours on that. Don't do that, you're on a time crunch, worst case just dump everything into boxes and sort it out later. Progress over perfection.

YouTube is a godsend for small home repairs. I knew nothing when I bought my first house, and YT videos helped me make drywall, window trim, and other repairs on my house before we sold. Saved me a ton of money.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The last few times we've moved, we moved ourselves (packing, truck rental, loading and unloading, etc) but I DID get on Thumbtack and hire little local companies to send 2 or 3 guys to moved specifically the biggest poo poo. We had to move a fridge and a giant solid hardwood table with benches etc and it was a nightmare. The past 2 moves I've hired a local place to move them for a few hundred bucks. You could find someone to meet you at a place and just unload stuff and put it where it needs to go in the new house and it's sooo worth the money.

Also: learn the "camel clutch" or whatever other names I'm sure it goes by: https://youtu.be/98fZw5m6f2M

This will save your body through the whole process.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

skipdogg posted:

Plastic totes are great for moving some stuff as well. On moving day we just threw everything left in our bathrooms into a couple plastic totes, slapped the lid on, and threw them in the back of the truck. If something spilled it was contained.

After seeing the office movers use them at work, I found the heavy duty plastic totes, the kind with the double hinged interlocking lids, are so good. They hold a ton (12 gallons) stack easily without collapsing, stack well when empty to save space, and when you're done moving you can use them for storage of just about anything. The clear ones are available from most big box home improvement stores for about :10bux: but for some reason they're really expensive to buy online.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Packing your poo poo into boxes is going to take 5 times as long as you think. Take pictures of the packed boxes and/or make a spreadsheet with boxes labeled with what’s in them.

Give away/sell/toss as much crap as you can now, before packing/moving it. Dont pack/ship/unpack consumable poo poo you haven’t used in months and can just buy when you do need it in the future.

Do you need those garden tools and pottery, or are you just planning for a future yard/porch you may or may not have? Why are you keeping those soy sauce packets in your kitchen drawer? Soy sauce is like $2.50 a bottle. gently caress all those USB flash drives in particular too, you don’t need them. Boxes of thank you notes from 2004. Why are you packing half empty containers of Windex and 409 and Clorox and poo poo? You aren’t going to make anything with that red wine vinegar or salad dressing from your pantry and they’re probably 5 years expired anyway.

I’m being somewhat facetious and maybe you aren’t doing this but the endless boxes of piled up unclassified miscellanea are what drove me insane and we just moved across town, not across country.

i have 3 boxes that are nothing but mismatched lids to various plastic containers we may or may not still own

:negative:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bucnasti posted:

After seeing the office movers use them at work, I found the heavy duty plastic totes, the kind with the double hinged interlocking lids, are so good. They hold a ton (12 gallons) stack easily without collapsing, stack well when empty to save space, and when you're done moving you can use them for storage of just about anything. The clear ones are available from most big box home improvement stores for about :10bux: but for some reason they're really expensive to buy online.

The dimensional weight of shipping them is high I imagine, as they're all priced as though you're buying "one" with free* shipping. We standardized on a size and bought probably 50 at lowesdepot. Best decision ever. Now they all match, and we have our garage storage universally sorted out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Black/Yellow rugged storage bins at Costco for ~$8 are fantastic as well.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
We just got like a dozen Rubbermaid style 20gal totes when we packed (in addition to a ton of cardboard Chewy boxes etc etc) but their lids have a tendency to just vanish on occasion. We used similar ones to the above pic - with the integrated split lids - when I worked in convenience stores, and they do indeed stack wonderfully when empty and when full.

But Menards had the conventional Rubbermaid type ones in stock for stupid cheap so :shrug:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

mutata posted:

The last few times we've moved, we moved ourselves (packing, truck rental, loading and unloading, etc) but I DID get on Thumbtack and hire little local companies to send 2 or 3 guys to moved specifically the biggest poo poo. We had to move a fridge and a giant solid hardwood table with benches etc and it was a nightmare. The past 2 moves I've hired a local place to move them for a few hundred bucks. You could find someone to meet you at a place and just unload stuff and put it where it needs to go in the new house and it's sooo worth the money.

Also: learn the "camel clutch" or whatever other names I'm sure it goes by: https://youtu.be/98fZw5m6f2M

yeah I got on uhaul moving help and had a local company move all the heavy poo poo for like 300 bux (load and unload and mileage).. it's so nice watching dudes haul your poo poo around your house while you move the dining room chairs or something.

If I couldn't afford it, i'd collect cans or eat ramen for a week or 3 to be able to afford it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

double post but separate topic.

a reminder that EVERY homeowner should have an 5-15 gallon wet-dry shop vac.
drain hose for the washer came out of the basin today, easy cleanup of ~30-40 gallons of water on the basement floor.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 3, 2021

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Does your basement not have a floor drain? :ohdear:

If there is a floor drain present in the basement, a push broom (with plastic bristles) is another good tool to have when your basement gets inundated for whatever reason. The push broom was in the basement when we moved in, otherwise I wouldn't have thought to buy one for pushing water around. It is also great for keeping the drain clear during downpours when water (along with silt and detritus) is coming under the door from the walkout. And when your basement is not flooding it's handy for regular basement sweeping.

Why no, I do not have any plans for finishing my basement at this time (or ever).

But seriously, every homeowner should have a good-sized shop vac. They are so versatile - I even used it to vacuum out the oven once after we blew up a Pyrex pan inside of it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

they're also great for inflating pool floats if you live in a tropical paradise like me

gently caress it's hot out today

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Shop Vac
Zip ties
General purpose lubricant spray can
No-contact voltage tester
DIYer grade drill and bits
Stud finder (I like the magnet one they sell on amazon for :10bux:)
Hammer
Standard size screwdriver set
Precision screwdriver set
Adjustable pliers (like tongue and groove pliers)
Wire cutters
Utility knife
Reasonable height step stool (or ladder if you have the space/budget)
A supply of general hardware like nails and screws and drywall anchors
Teflon tape
Electrical tape

And when you go to do your first project or repair, use that as an excuse to get a laser level.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
My only vacuum is a shop vac. For a long time now.

Of course, I have no carpets. And I pay a housecleaner for regular service.

But, still. There's never been an urgent mess or "tidy up before guests arrive" that the simple shop vac couldn't handle with relative ease.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mutata posted:

Utility knife

And a 50pack of extra blades. Stop suffering with dull blades! Something like this, and hang it out of reach of children: https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-Carbon-Steel-3-4-in-Utility-Replacement-Blade-75-Pack/1000594345

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Recently move across country using PODS. Used a 16x8x8 container. Had three truckloads of crap hauled way, gave away tons of stuff, donated others including food we were not going to use. Sold all the cars apart from one we drove across the country in with the dogs and one that has no value apart to me as a project.

Just repeating that you need to declutter, that ikea furniture? Won’t make it anyway. 10 year old TV that might get broken? New 43” tv is like $200. If you are selling then it makes it easier to sell if you have cleared the place out as well.

All in all I probably spent $2k on junk removal and clean up in the house, $4k moving the pod 2700 miles and $1500 on work done to the house to make it look better.

I also got movers both ends to pack and unpack the pod because it would just be me doing it and didn’t want to be lifting beds and stuff up and down tight stairs by myself.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mutata posted:

As someone who is now mostly recovered from moving: why the gently caress didn't I know about this two months ago :argh:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
There's a lot of posts so I won't quote them all, but thanks for all the responses! Lots of great info in there.

We just did a garage sale this past weekend so we got rid of some stuff there and made about $300 which we'll probably use to get that bigass UHaul moving pack. I just got out of an unexpected hospital stay so we took it a bit easy. Will have another moving sale before we leave for some bigger furniture. Everything that didn't sell in the garage sale went to the curb.

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes/Custom-Kit/Household-Kit-

It's got a poo poo-ton of boxes and other stuff. Will also likely pay for help like suggested to get crap in and out of pods/truck.

Back in the day I was a spry young man that would collect boxes from all over town for this (and beg/borrow/steal supplies)... but gently caress it, my health sucks and I'm goddamned tired from the kids all day (love 'em though) so I'm going to splurge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Queen Victorian posted:

Does your basement not have a floor drain? :ohdear:

If there is a floor drain present in the basement, a push broom (with plastic bristles) is another good tool to have when your basement gets inundated for whatever reason. The push broom was in the basement when we moved in, otherwise I wouldn't have thought to buy one for pushing water around. It is also great for keeping the drain clear during downpours when water (along with silt and detritus) is coming under the door from the walkout. And when your basement is not flooding it's handy for regular basement sweeping.

Why no, I do not have any plans for finishing my basement at this time (or ever).

But seriously, every homeowner should have a good-sized shop vac. They are so versatile - I even used it to vacuum out the oven once after we blew up a Pyrex pan inside of it.

Not anymore town and pretty much everywhere in my area but 1 doesn't let floors or sunps drain into the sanitary sewer's, when you sell a house it's gotta all get plugged. Floor drain is plugged up. I should look to see if it's an expando plug and just pull it out.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 3, 2021