Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

My grandma didn't survive, and my parents probably won't survive, but at least capitalism will!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
new trevor bedford thread on p.1 prevalence

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1389248439410597890

more at link

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1389248476425252866

OH WORD????

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

more at link

huh. seems bad. anyway, see ya at the bar.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

the phrase "largely effective" is gonna rattle around in my brain for a long time, I think.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jon Irenicus posted:

the phrase "largely effective" is gonna rattle around in my brain for a long time, I think.

I think "bigly effective" works better

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Take This Quiz To Find Out Which Covid Variant You Are!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Jon Irenicus posted:

given largely effective partial vaccination of a portion of our population, we believe that we can safely open er up

believe in science

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

VectorSigma posted:

why aren't there any cool covid conspiracy theories? like what if this virus was just a way to introduce a specific protein into our brains so we can resist dolphin mind control technology, and it's actually a secret plan by dolphin separatists wishing to form an alliance with humans against the corvid threat?

covid is a posadist plot to usher in cetaceocommunism, correct

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
not because of this news (although it would be enough in a sane society) we may be 'shutting down' WA state somewhat today.

w.r.t. cv19 we may actually be one of the most competent states and we are nothing to get excited about.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

feeling extremely powerful right now. thank u pfizer

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"wild type" sounds a lot more exciting than it is.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A student just popped his head into my office and pulled his mask down so that he could ask me a question. When I asked him if he was vaccinated he told me he didn't want to deal with the side effects.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Insanite posted:

given largely effective partial vaccination of a portion of our population, we believe that we can safely open er up

believe in science

"how large is largely effective?"

"it's pretty big. smaller by the day tho. open Biden"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

i'm the joker, baby

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

open biden

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Delta-Wye posted:

its going to get into male gonads and affect people's gametes. after infection, all children born will have epicanthic folds.

this would be really funny

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Seeing Americans waste hundreds of thousands of doses and refusing to break patents as the global south literally going up in flames and Canadians desperately lining up to get vaccinated, is uh causing some new form of anger.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Fitzy Fitz posted:

i'm the joker, baby

which one b/c im cesar romero

im this one because i painted over my mustache in this shot

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

blatman posted:

which one b/c im cesar romero

im this one because i painted over my mustache in this shot

that's my favorite thing about Romero's joker. he was like "okay I'll do this poo poo but I'm not shaving for it. I have actual films to make idiots."

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Fitzy Fitz posted:

A student just popped his head into my office and pulled his mask down so that he could ask me a question. When I asked him if he was vaccinated he told me he didn't want to deal with the side effects.

lmfao wat in the world

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Ebola is over again until someone randomly starts shedding it 5 years later again like the last two outbreaks

https://twitter.com/WHOAFRO/status/1389169792674840576

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

PNW is going close Biden, east coast it’s going open Biden

Let’s see how this plays out

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Glumwheels posted:

Whoever wins, we lose

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Glumwheels posted:

https://youtu.be/Wy-w1-g7OvY

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
im paraphrasing something I heard as The View was blaring but Meghan Mccain said that there's nothing in it for conservatives to get vaxx because they still have to wear masks for a while :(

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

finally I can go to the city, get myself hosed up one last time before I leave NY state my mortal coil for good

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
What the gently caress is the point of being close biden if the whole country is open biden and interstate travel is still open biden? If we're not going to get rona under control then I'd rather do that at a concert

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Delta-Wye posted:

not because of this news (although it would be enough in a sane society) we may be 'shutting down' WA state somewhat today.

w.r.t. cv19 we may actually be one of the most competent states and we are nothing to get excited about.

My parents just called me from WA and asked me to explain the cdc guidelines because they're so confusing but it seemed like they could have small get togethers without masks? Very exciting news

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

My parents just called me from WA and asked me to explain the cdc guidelines because they're so confusing but it seemed like they could have small get togethers without masks? Very exciting news

They could have summarized that poo poo by saying "unmasked around small groups of other vaccinated people is fine, continue to wear masks in mixed company" but instead they gave us that bullshit infographic that everyone is misinterpreting.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

stellers bae posted:

What the gently caress is the point of being close biden if the whole country is open biden and interstate travel is still open biden? If we're not going to get rona under control then I'd rather do that at a concert

this is one of the ways we are most hosed, and stuck with perma-covid. even states that manage to run relatively low cases for a while eventually dump their restrictions and cases go back up, and then they may or may not close things down again, rinse repeat. every part of covid response has been buck passed if you think about it. federal government has abdicated almost total responsibility to states, governors have exercised varying degrees of mandate to put restrictions in place but also placed a ton of responsibility on business owners, and on individuals. no, we're not closing dining down. if you get covid you're probably going to parties and refusing to wear three masks when you go to Target. you're a bad person and should do better. trust science.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

moist turtleneck posted:

im paraphrasing something I heard as The View was blaring but Meghan Mccain said that there's nothing in it for conservatives to get vaxx because they still have to wear masks for a while :(

thinking .... thinking .... other benefits than NO MASK .... hmmm IDK!!! lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Ebola is over again until someone randomly starts shedding it 5 years later again like the last two outbreaks

https://twitter.com/WHOAFRO/status/1389169792674840576

My understanding was the DRC had actually cured ebola, so it's now a matter of manufacture and distribution.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/12/ebola-now-curable-after-trials-of-drugs-in-drc-say-scientists

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

We just had a meeting about returning to the office. We had multiple people read the CDC guidelines and come to contradictory conclusions about when to wear masks. The guidelines are a confusing mess.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Totally Effective (largely)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Glumwheels posted:

Yeah, like the additional restrictions here are going to mean anything. We're still going to see packed restaurants and schools, which isn't going to slow the growth.

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

more at link

tracks what I'm seeing locally in illinois. Last week p.1 was ~30% of variants sequenced, B.1.1.7 was 60% and then other variants were the remaining 10%. P.1 is definietly making in-roads and I imagine is going to give a nasty surprise to a lot of people who caught the wild type last spring and think they're immune now.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Jon Irenicus posted:

Wasn't it agreed by the experts that any vaccines with 50% efficacy is considered effective right?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lmao alright sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My mom is very excited that the senior center is supposed to open again this month.