Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

neongrey posted:

Related to an old thing from 3.5 D&D where theoretically if you had a high enough, what, persuade skill? Bluff? Diplomacy? I forget the name of the skill in question, you could just say you're the moon and no matter what people would have to believe it. I don't remember how it ties to Monte Cook.
Specifically, a low level spell, Glibness, gave you a +30 bonus to Bluff, but only if you were lying.

The difficulty penalty for "completely obviously impossible lie" is +20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
I don't disagree with any of the Invisible Sun criticisms in this thread, but I will say that I really enjoyed playing a Weaver in the game I was in. Figuring out how to deal with a situation by combining facets of two or more concepts, while avoiding doing anything that any of the concepts you're using are forbidden from doing, was the best implementation of completely on the fly spellcasting I can remember. Just a shame about the system it was connected to; I had a lot of fun figuring out cool ways to deal with out of combat stuff but once combat started it was pretty much "give everyone armor (and eventually I set up a contingency to do that when a fight started), maybe buff attack roles, then start zapping everyone with as much Sorcery as I can". It did mean I spent a lot of time looking at the table that said what level various effects were, but that was worth it to me.

The experience system was also neat, you choose goals for your character and then gain XP as you take steps towards that goal and get a better kind of XP when you complete it or fail to complete it. The better xp is Joy and Despair, and you get one for things going right and one for things going wrong, and you needed both to level up your class and your forte, so the mechanics encourage you to get into situations where things go wrong.

Side note, one of the fortes is "Speaks with the Moon." The moon uses she/her pronouns and thus unlikely to be a Monte Cook self insert.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Some years ago a regular gaming group of mine was on a "let's do a different game every week" cycle and we were supposed to do Numenera and then I think it was the very day of the game when the GM read through it and found the references to "beaners" in the setting material and decided we weren't going to play through that dreck

We switched to Tenra Bansho Zero instead, which was a much more pleasant experience

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

Some years ago a regular gaming group of mine was on a "let's do a different game every week" cycle and we were supposed to do Numenera and then I think it was the very day of the game when the GM read through it and found the references to "beaners" in the setting material and decided we weren't going to play through that dreck

We switched to Tenra Bansho Zero instead, which was a much more pleasant experience

I read an interesting take on Numenera once that more or less summarized it was "something very progressive, written by a team of only white people", which is probably why they'd just use a slur like that. It's kind of hard to say it in an eloquent manner, but 5 well-meaning people can't write about a subject with good intentions that they have no experience with first-hand and have it come out well. I'm not saying Numenera sometimes reads like Michael Scott wrote a fantasy setting...

Then that one Numenera game producer had some kind of hosed up mental breakdown on RPG Codex and said that MCG bent over backwards to have people look "less white" and didn't want it to be possible to clock someone's ethnic group by looking at them or whatever but that entire thread reads like a drunken fever dream, with him accusing the head of inXile of being an incompetent moron and all kinds of poo poo. If you enjoy drama it's a fun read but he put it all up there and archived all of his own posts himself while proudly claiming he'd be down like a clown to fight Fargo in court over a defamation suit, and it didn't happen. And Fargo has the money to sue the gently caress out of people, since he's descended from the people who founded Wells-Fargo and American express. But that's not really TNG...

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

raggi has stated it was, more or less, Mentzer basic.
I had to go and check, and it looks like he at least kept the saving throw structure and the ability modifiers from Basic. I must have been lumping it with DCC just because it used ascending BAB.

That said, it is also heavily modded. The skill system is overhauled and only the Fighter’s attack bonus increases with level, for instance. I can't remember if he futzed with the magic system too or if he just added the nine pages long summoning spell and called it a day.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Siivola posted:

I had to go and check, and it looks like he at least kept the saving throw structure and the ability modifiers from Basic. I must have been lumping it with DCC just because it used ascending BAB.

That said, it is also heavily modded. The skill system is overhauled and only the Fighter’s attack bonus increases with level, for instance. I can't remember if he futzed with the magic system too or if he just added the nine pages long summoning spell and called it a day.

Yeah, but you can run KotB with minimal flipped stat blocks to allow for ascending AC and it'd be more or less the same game. Running Keep with DCC is a different story. Doable, sure, but pointless

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
DCC is actually based on 3.5e

I can draw up an effortpost later when I'm not on my phone if there's interest, but basically Goodman Games used to run as a 3e module shop not unlike pre-PF Paizo, with a series of "old-school" style adventures that still used the 3e rules, but especially used level 0 and generic characters to capture the old-school feel

DCC the full game was just adapting and expanding on that base concept

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The DCC Megadungeon (for 3.5) is apparently pretty decent.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

raggi has stated it was, more or less, Mentzer basic. He was so into mentzer he ended up posting a defense of him on G+ or so I recall. This is AFTER the Price "petting my pussy right now" and "How DARE you ask me why I need 250k for my kickstarter, you'll never play DnD in this hobby again!"
Physically unable to picture imaginary elves since I was blacklisted by a DnD guy :smith:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Honestly, I don’t feel like being cursed to be unable to play D&D would negatively impact my life.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

DCC is actually based on 3.5e

I can draw up an effortpost later when I'm not on my phone if there's interest, but basically Goodman Games used to run as a 3e module shop not unlike pre-PF Paizo, with a series of "old-school" style adventures that still used the 3e rules, but especially used level 0 and generic characters to capture the old-school feel

DCC the full game was just adapting and expanding on that base concept

They only used the 0 level concept a few times. For the most part it was nostalgia bait and "serial numbers filed off" clones of other adventures. They're okay, but you can't run ADnD1e type adventures in 3.5.

DCC is, after hundreds of run games, a convention game. It's crazy fun for oneshots, not amazing for campaign play. The Lankhmar boxed set definitely fixes this up a fair amount but: its best for cons. After 15 sessions you will not want to flip through the book for more and more tables.

Mercurial magic is a nightmare for long term play. "Magic missile with 7 tiers of activation AND the anything from vomiting maggots out of every orifice to summoning tiny demons to having to be screaming it as loud as I can to an ever incrementing % chance to have an eldritch thing appear and attack the party" is not great. The warhammer mutations are a great idea but I have met very few players who like being told they have devil horns now if they've invested months into the character. One off at a con game? Funny story to put on twitter.

Lankhmar boxed set changes the rules so you get bonuses to casting based on conditions(at night/day, in a graveyardcastl/woods/city street, while raining/foggy/hot outside, etc). It is, in many ways, a really good 2.0 of DCC, turning it into a good campaign game.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 2, 2021

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

This is a bit out of left field but what is the origin of the joke about Monte Cook being the moon?

When Monte Cook left the D&D5e development team the speculation about his reasons for leaving got so tiresome that Winston decided to resolve it by inviting the thread to post competing theories, and declaring that the winning one would become the unarguable truth of the thread.

The winning poster cited poetry involving (I think) Susanoo-no-Mikoto to argue that Monte Cook left development of 5e to become the moon, and this became thread dogma.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Whybird posted:

When Monte Cook left the D&D5e development team the speculation about his reasons for leaving got so tiresome that Winston decided to resolve it by inviting the thread to post competing theories, and declaring that the winning one would become the unarguable truth of the thread.

The winning poster cited poetry involving (I think) Susanoo-no-Mikoto to argue that Monte Cook left development of 5e to become the moon, and this became thread dogma.

Wouldn't it be Tsukuyomi, not Susano-o?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Leraika posted:

Please do not question the truth.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
More importantly, it used to be a bannable offense to imply that Monte Cook wasn't the moon.

Honestly it's a rule I think we should bring back.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt0dflSPD5o

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Omnicrom posted:

It's always struck me the way that Cook is completely uninterested in martial characters. It seems completely beyond his capacity for creativity to come up with ways to make a superhumanly strong dude interesting. In all of his games you get all sorts of cool and interesting and evocative powers for whatever the wizard is, and the martial classes at best get jack squat.
Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved was Pathfinder 1e before there was Pathfinder 1e. It was D&D 3e but with some wizard nerfs and fighter buffs without addressing the underlying problems. Like he banned a bunch of the most problematic spells and limited spellcaster's access to the best spells with the common/uncommon/unique spell system, but it was just bandaids.

Having a world ruled by giants as an explanation for why all buildings and hallways are insanely large was inspired.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

Having a world ruled by giants as an explanation for why all buildings and hallways are insanely large was inspired.

This weekend, I learned that there's a thriving conspiracy theory which claims that giants ruled the Earth fairly recently. Their empire, known as the Tartarian Empire, was responsible for all those cool older buildings with big hallways. The evidence has been covered up by, uh, "mud floods."

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Thanlis posted:

This weekend, I learned that there's a thriving conspiracy theory which claims that giants ruled the Earth fairly recently. Their empire, known as the Tartarian Empire, was responsible for all those cool older buildings with big hallways. The evidence has been covered up by, uh, "mud floods."
It calls up the indefinite past. When Columbus first sought this continent—when Christ suffered on the cross—when Moses led Israel through the Red-Sea—nay, even, when Adam first came from the hand of his Maker—then as now, Niagara was roaring here. The eyes of that species of extinct giants, whose bones fill the mounds of America, have gazed on Niagara, as ours do now. -- Abraham Lincoln

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Leraika posted:

That's very likely, I have only the haziest recollection of how it went down.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Zereth posted:

Specifically, a low level spell, Glibness, gave you a +30 bonus to Bluff, but only if you were lying.

The difficulty penalty for "completely obviously impossible lie" is +20.

Eh. If a 1st level spell can convince someone that you're their best friend, and a 5th level spell (4th for a Bard)can literally dominate peoples minds. I don't see why a 3rd level Bard spell shouldn't allow you to tell completely believable lies.

It's ridiculous, but no more so than other 3.5 magic.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Thanlis posted:

Is this the same conspiracy theory that thinks the sections of told timey maps marking all of central and north east asia as "Tartary" were talking about a specific unified country rather than Europeans just not giving a poo poo about steppe culture and civilization? The ones who think Napoleon's invasion of Russia was cover up for a joint French and Russian attack on this Tartary nation?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Terrible Opinions posted:

Is this the same conspiracy theory that thinks the sections of told timey maps marking all of central and north east asia as "Tartary" were talking about a specific unified country rather than Europeans just not giving a poo poo about steppe culture and civilization? The ones who think Napoleon's invasion of Russia was cover up for a joint French and Russian attack on this Tartary nation?

I mean where else did the sauce come from

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

The sauce of kings giants.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

Invisible Sun has CMWGE's Quests but uh, incredibly bland and poorly designed. I guarantee he reads other people's game and then they just fail to land at all, beyond the level that produces a Quest of 'attack and damage an opponent' or 'build a shed.'

If nothing else, Invisible Sun Chat got me to finally order a copy of CMWGE.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It calls up the indefinite past. When Columbus first sought this continent—when Christ suffered on the cross—when Moses led Israel through the Red-Sea—nay, even, when Adam first came from the hand of his Maker—then as now, Niagara was roaring here. The eyes of that species of extinct giants, whose bones fill the mounds of America, have gazed on Niagara, as ours do now. -- Abraham Lincoln

Giant truthers loves to quote this like Lincoln was an archaeologist. There's a fascinating history of American giant belief, which runs through the Mormons, Lincoln, just a wide swathe of American society, in part to explain Native American constructions that Europeans thought were too impressive for Native Americans to have built.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Giant truthers loves to quote this like Lincoln was an archaeologist. There's a fascinating history of American giant belief, which runs through the Mormons, Lincoln, just a wide swathe of American society, in part to explain Native American constructions that Europeans thought were too impressive for Native Americans to have built.

In short, Lincoln would have loved Ancient Aliens.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

If you wrote a novel about people inventing a business that just pollutes the world and wastes energy and that this generates money for you, you'd get rejected by every publishing house for writing "cartoonish characters" and told that nobody wants to buy your terrible Fern Gully fanfiction.

People have tried breaking NFT down but I still don't get how they work or why they pollute so much. It makes me feel stupid. :(

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

People have tried breaking NFT down but I still don't get how they work or why they pollute so much. It makes me feel stupid. :(
If it makes you feel stupid then congratulations, you're smarter than the fools who think/thought NFTs had a shred of redeeming value. If you want the full explanation, I recommend David Gerard's rundown. He's good for anything regarding blockchain nonsense. If you want a very succint explanation on NFTs in particular:

David Gerard again posted:

“Would you like to watch your favourite CBeebies show — or would you like me to write on a piece of paper that you own the show? All you get is the piece of paper.”

The trouble with explaining NFTs to a five-year-old is that you’ll have a hard time convincing a five-year-old that this nonsense isn’t the nonsense it obviously is. It sounds unfathomably stupid because it’s unfathomably stupid.
The more general issue about pollution is that generating an NFT usually involves one of the big cryptocurrencies that use proof-of-work algorithms to function. And the basis of proof-of-work is "whoever wastes the most energy on filling out digital lottery tickets tends to win the lottery". Enough energy is wasted right now to rival whole countries. And all their insane theories are predicated on the nonsense of anarcho-capitalism, a strain of libertarian thought particularly resistant to pesky things like evidence.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

NGDBSS posted:

If it makes you feel stupid then congratulations, you're smarter than the fools who think/thought NFTs had a shred of redeeming value. If you want the full explanation, I recommend David Gerard's rundown. He's good for anything regarding blockchain nonsense. If you want a very succint explanation on NFTs in particular:

The more general issue about pollution is that generating an NFT usually involves one of the big cryptocurrencies that use proof-of-work algorithms to function. And the basis of proof-of-work is "whoever wastes the most energy on filling out digital lottery tickets tends to win the lottery". Enough energy is wasted right now to rival whole countries. And all their insane theories are predicated on the nonsense of anarcho-capitalism, a strain of libertarian thought particularly resistant to pesky things like evidence.

Yeah I was talking about Cryptocurrencies. They don't literally create pollution by themselves, but:

1. They have no inherent value and do nothing. That old saying about "when we kill the planet we'll learn we can't eat money" is modified to "when we kill the planet we'll realize we didn't even get loving paper bank notes for it, seriously its just numbers on a computer, what the gently caress"

2. They require an enormous amount of resources to generate. People stay profitable by buying up a shitload of video game graphics cards and setting up farms. And Graphics cards take a shitload of resources to be made. And the demand for them skyrockets because shitheads just buy 500 of them with zero intention of them ever being used to play a video game, just endlessly run at max speed until they're worn and torn and (hopefully) flipped on ebay to some sucker for 200 bucks or whatever. These cards generate enormous amounts of heat, and have caused housefires before. They suck up an ungodly amount of power and let me make this clear, if crypto wasn't valuable it wouldn't work this way. Some of these people are paying 200k/month in power bills and still generating 100k+ of profit usually. So they just waste power to generate fake money that is insanely volatile because they can make money doing it. And once again, many of these GPUs just end up getting thrown out because most people that aren't getting duped aren't interested in buying at MSRP a graphics card thats been running at full tilt at 120 degrees for a year.

3. [Angry ranting about pc gaming]

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 3, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

2. They require an enormous amount of resources to generate. People stay profitable by buying up a shitload of video game graphics cards and setting up farms. And Graphics cards take a shitload of resources to be made. And the demand for them skyrockets because shitheads just buy 500 of them with zero intention of them ever being used to play a video game, just endlessly run at max speed until they're worn and torn and (hopefully) flipped on ebay to some sucker for 200 bucks or whatever. These cards generate enormous amounts of heat, and have caused housefires before. They suck up an ungodly amount of power and let me make this clear, if crypto wasn't valuable it wouldn't work this way. Some of these people are paying 200k/month in power bills and still generating 100k+ of profit usually. So they just waste power to generate fake money that is insanely volatile because they can make money doing it. And once again, many of these GPUs just end up getting thrown out because most people that aren't getting duped aren't interested in buying at MSRP a graphics card thats been running at full tilt at 120 degrees for a year.

3. [Angry ranting about pc gaming]

Yeah. While not the right gaming forum, one does hope you start to learn to love consoles again because you have crazy nonsense like this:

https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/1387199946743599108

$1300 for a broken graphics card, my goons.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My 5-year-old graphics card is dying (with horrible fan screeches), and I need a new one.

I am so boned.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

My 5-year-old graphics card is dying (with horrible fan screeches), and I need a new one.

I am so boned.

if it's just the fan that's dying but the output is still okay, it's possible to jury-rig a replacement via a case fan that's zip-tied to the heat sink.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

paradoxGentleman posted:

Okay, say I, as the creator of the :blizz: emote, want to sell 'the original' to you. You give me a bunch of money and I write down on a post it note in my house that you own it. This doesn't actually do anything to the emote, as it's already out on the internet and anyone can use a copy of it. But you can tell people that I have proof that you own it and if I'm feeling nice I'll confirm it.

But post it notes are a dime a dozen and someone could just fake a post it note. So I instead will cut down a centuries old redwood tree and make a single post it note out of it that is already pre-written that you own the :blizz: emote. But people keep coming to my house and insisting to see this post it note for proof, so I instead give it to my friend Bob, who's super trustworthy and runs a post it note storage business. However I could just as easily create a dozen post it notes saying that other people also own :blizz: . Or I could make post it notes saying people own :allears: , because Bob doesn't care, he's just storing post-it notes. Of course at some point down the line Bob could close down his business, or his house could burn down, which would remove all proof that you own anything.

NFTs are just incredibly complex cryptographically unique files that store a URL and a name saying who 'owns' that URL. It takes an absurd amount of processing power to make them cryptographically unique and that processing power takes real world electricity which makes pollution which is where the whole "I burned down half the amazon to prove I own these pixels" Meme came from. The point of the grift is that to buy an NFT you need to buy crypto, which prices more people into crypto and makes more of it. And in theory drives up demand and therefore the price. It also uses THE BLOCKCHAIN and techbro grifters are unable to climax unless the blockchain is involved. But there is absolutely no regulatory body, anyone can mint an NFT for any reason, and NFTs aren't like.. a cryptographic hash you need to have in order to unlock the original file to prove ownership. It's just an arrow pointing at something with the text "paradoxGentleman owns this".

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
At this point if my 1080 ever gives out I'm just going to buy a 'gaming laptop' and give up on desktop gaming until crypto goes away, I think.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just trying to not go too off-topic but I wonder if the computer hardware shortage is going to shift people to TRPGs because Zoom and roll20 can run on just about anything*

* okay yes if you're on a half-decade old Celeron with 4 gigs of RAM it's gonna be rough

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

HopperUK posted:

At this point if my 1080 ever gives out I'm just going to buy a 'gaming laptop' and give up on desktop gaming until crypto goes away, I think.
I have been expecting crypto to go away for a long time, but I don't expect it's gonna.

Until someone finds superior ways to launder money and do internet crimes, that is.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Siivola posted:

There’s not really a skill system in LotFP. Characters may start with “skills” based on their race (like Moldvay Basic), but beyond that there’s simply one class that has a set of skills they pick from. It’s more just modifying the Thief and folding the d% skills back into Basic’s d6 skills than an actual skill system.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm just trying to not go too off-topic but I wonder if the computer hardware shortage is going to shift people to TRPGs because Zoom and roll20 can run on just about anything*

* okay yes if you're on a half-decade old Celeron with 4 gigs of RAM it's gonna be rough

I don't think so, versus a push for lower-spec games (that the industry absolutely will not heed because muh graphical fidelity that nobody is going to notice). The demographics don't overlap nearly enough for that to be any sort of smooth shift. Plus TRPGs are far more reliant on scheduling and having a personal network (outside the handful of solo games that are even farther from that broad demographic), whereas with most of the big games you're either single player with AI or you have matchmaking/drop-in servers to deal with the scheduling aspects. Enough barriers I don't see it being a huge push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Deptfordx posted:

Eh. If a 1st level spell can convince someone that you're their best friend, and a 5th level spell (4th for a Bard)can literally dominate peoples minds. I don't see why a 3rd level Bard spell shouldn't allow you to tell completely believable lies.

It's ridiculous, but no more so than other 3.5 magic.

The first time my bard cast Glibness was also the last time my bard cast Glibness.

Rolling a 9 on a d20 and getting a 55 result was bonkers.