Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That makes more sense, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Since I think prospective/soon-to-be vaccinated goons are interested in reading experiences especially for 2nd dose:

Partner (27) and I (31) got our second Pfizer dose Saturday at 11:45am. Note that she generally has a stronger immune system response to various things than me - gets sick quite a bit less, etc. She pretty much immediately started feeling a bit tired but nothing too bad, we went for a 20 minute walk right after the shot.

She was feeling more tired by around 4 pm and by 6 pm Saturday was full on exhausted and just laid on the couch while we watched LOTR. She was complaining of a headache and then out cold by 9pm. She slept until 8am and then had a severe headache (which she occasionally gets normally) and fatigue until about 4 pm Sunday, at which point the symptoms slowly dissipated. She feels slightly off Monday morning but otherwise back to normal.

I had no symptoms except a [slightly sore Saturday, moderately sore Sunday, back to normal Monday] injection site. I woke up a few times Sunday early AM and felt a little weird (acidic stomach) but it was so light it could easily have been from the 4 oatmeal cookies I moronically ate at 11:30pm.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The extra time off is typically for dealing with the side effects from the vaccine.
My company has a paid 2 week (?) timecode bank for anything covid related: getting the vaccine, vaccine side effects, getting covid, taking care of someone with covid, etc. I think it's a California state mandate.

yook fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 3, 2021

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

yook posted:

My company has a paid 2 week (?) timecode bank for anything covid related: getting the vaccine, vaccine side effects, getting covid, taking care of someone with covid, etc. I think it's a California state mandate.

Yep.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm free baby, 2 weeks from P2! One last question about my boomer parents. I am going to go and hang out with them now mask free, they are vaxxed too. BUT they still are going to restaurants and stuff without masks! I mean I guess that is the point, but I am still safe around just them and others that are fully vaccinated, correct? At this point it doesn't matter too much, I am SO OVER this, I did everything right for 14 months. On the other hand, I did everything right for 14 months, why blow it now?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Michael Corleone posted:

I'm free baby, 2 weeks from P2! One last question about my boomer parents. I am going to go and hang out with them now mask free, they are vaxxed too. BUT they still are going to restaurants and stuff without masks! I mean I guess that is the point, but I am still safe around just them and others that are fully vaccinated, correct? At this point it doesn't matter too much, I am SO OVER this, I did everything right for 14 months. On the other hand, I did everything right for 14 months, why blow it now?

im still not down to go to a bar or a restaurant if for no other reason that it sounds like doing it in a mask sucks balls

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I think you wear the mask to walk to your table and then take it off! Doesn't sound like it should even matter when you are breathing in everyone's air but rules are rules (most places don't enforce anything anyway)!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

^^^^^^^ They say that, but I mean generally if a place is at full capacity and there's no ventilation then wearing your mask to the table then taking it off is the same as just not wearing a mask. The risk increases the longer you sit there breathing in everyone's lung juices.

Patio seating, takeout for picnics is what we do with my parents. They might go inside to restaurants but the vaccine is not 100% safe no exception. For me and my wife, personally, we always wear masks and never eat inside to help, obviously ineffectually, normalize behavior for people on the fence.

Her mother didn't get a vaccine, lives with someone who got it, and goes to restaurants All The Time, of course.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Well I just got vaccinated (Modo). Basically the Canton of Bern (and the rest of Switzerland) is divided informally along the language zones (French and Swiss German; this divide is called the Röstigraben --translates to : hash brown ditch--) and this divide is often a reflection of the greater cultural mores of the greater language speaking regions. And this divide can even be seen in the COVID fallout. For example, at least during the first wave, the distributions of infections/deaths were more similar to their respective language region (outside of Switzerland!) than to Switzerland as a whole. More clearly, the areas in the French speaking regions had similar infection rates to France than to Switzerland in general. The same with Germany and the German speaking regions and Italy and the Italian speaking regions. In the Canton of Bern they have sort of created a scale A-Z of priority. As I mentioned earlier, I am in group N, which for 36 year old non-pre-existing-condition-havers. As it stands the Canton of Bern has only opened up vaccinations to Group L (and have included Group O). However in the French speaking Cantons, they have opened it up to everybody, 16+. In the Canton of Bern there is a city called Biel/Bienne, who sort of straddles this cultural and linguistic divide. And their medical clinic has very quietly opened up vaccinations to everybody as long as you had pre-registered with the Canton. So this morning on their website they said they were open for COVID vaccinations from 10-1 and as soon as I saw this I tripped over my own feet and was out the door. Things are definitely accelerating here, but I doubt I would have gotten a first dose for at least two weeks. We'll see how much time I shaved off but I am extremely pleased.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
24 hours post pfizer dose 1:

My head hurts, every limb takes an army to lift, overnight fever, I want to sleep 24/7 but at least soon my odds of not needing a vent if I get Covid will improve greatly.

A+ 10/10 would jab again

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
If you are putting yourself thru mental gymnastics to justify going out for any reason other than work/ emergency then you deserve to because all that risk calculation that your brain does for you that you choose to then ignore anyway does in fact burn calories

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you are two weeks out from your second dose just fuckin go out already.

Go have some enjoyment or something.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Michael Corleone posted:

I typed out a long winded response to this sharing my new “what’s ok and what isn’t ok” post-vaccine rules and then i realized half of them contradict each other. Being vaccinated has blurred the lines between “acceptable risk” and “unacceptable risk” for me pretty badly. I think I will go with “don’t be an idiot”- don’t hang out in big groups, don’t go in areas of poor ventilation without a mask, don’t travel unnecessarily (for awhile). Basically I can evaluate stuff I would flat out have refused to do before, but the risk-reward ratio needs to be right. Fly across the country for my cousin’s memorial service? Sure. Go to a crowded restaurant with indoor seating with 10 work friends? Nah.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

If you are two weeks out from your second dose just fuckin go out already.

Go have some enjoyment or something.

I'm gonna do some reps at the gym and smash some puss later! WOOHOO111

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I’m 2 weeks past my second shot and my birthday’s in 2-3 weeks. Traditionally we go out for a big steak dinner at a restaurant for birthdays so I’m mulling over if it’s time yet. Everyone would have been vaccinated for a while except I think that’ll be around the time my brother in law gets his second shot and my niece won’t have been vaccinated since she’s still a baby. Taking a <1 year old to a restaurant seem like a hassle regardless of COVID so maybe we’ll stick to takeout if she doesn’t get a babysitter anyway.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Michael Corleone posted:

I think you'll be fine. The vaccines aren't 100% effective but they are still very good, it seems like still 90%ish against all the variants in the US currently. My understanding is that for the virus to go from the world to your parents to you, they need to get exposed to a meaningful viral load (which is not guaranteed even maskless indoors at a restaurant), then they need to roll the 1 in 10 to get vaccine unlucky, then when you meet them you need to roll the 1 in 10 to get vaccine unlucky, and even then your symptoms are almost certain to be lighter than if you were to catch it unvaccinated. It's not something I'd do every day maybe but I plan to hang out with other fully vaccinated people indoors without a mask from time to time.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 3, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gohuskies posted:

then they need to roll the 1 in 10 to get vaccine unlucky, then when you meet them you need to roll the 1 in 10 to get vaccine unlucky, and even then your symptoms are almost certain to be lighter than if you were to catch it unvaccinated. It's not something I'd do every day maybe but I certainly plan to hang out with other fully vaccinated people indoors without a mask from time to time.

I’m like pretty sure that’s not how that works.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
^^^ Well is supposedly 94 but makes sense to me, maybe.

Unless I am going somewhere really crowded I am ditching my KN95's though for a washable mask from early pandemic. I have a 'raw or small scar' on the bridge of my nose from wearing them so much. I am going to see them on T and F so wish me luck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Michael Corleone posted:

^^^ Well is supposedly 94 but makes sense to me, maybe.

Unless I am going somewhere really crowded I am ditching my KN95's though for a washable mask from early pandemic. I have a 'raw or small scar' on the bridge of my nose from wearing them so much. I am going to see them on T and F so wish me luck.

I don’t think you roll a 1 in 10 though is what I meant.

You’ll be fine anyway.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my second dose left me with a fever of 103, vomiting, a bizarre headache, crazy rear end joint pains. i loved it. give me a third.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What is it about this specific shot that makes your arm hurt so bad?

Like the flu shot kinda does but nothing at all like this. It’s wild how sore it gets with such a small needle.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

Like the flu shot kinda does but nothing at all like this. It’s wild how sore it gets with such a small needle.

The mRNA vaccines have those cells making the spike protein so they catch the worst of it from your immune system and end up super inflamed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The mRNA vaccines have those cells making the spike protein so they catch the worst of it from your immune system and end up super inflamed.

Ok yeah that’s what my S/O thought as well and it makes sense but drat!

She couldn’t even put any pressure on it because it hurt so bad for two days.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Shingrix shot hurt more than Moderna.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
The other factors to bear in mind about going out when vaccinated are:
How much is seeing a load of presumably unvaccinated people breathing in each others faces going to wind you up?
Do you want to be the unlucky rear end in a top hat who catches it whilst vaccinated and ends up fathering the vaccine-beating variant? Maybe it's a billion to one, but if you're playing the lottery with the planet at all you should be getting something special out of it and not just a trip to TGI Fridays.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I get that some fraction of vaccinated people may still be able to contract and pass on the virus but I don’t think I can work up the energy to consider them Part of the Problem in a way that’s remotely comparable to the people who refuse to get vaccinated

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

MarcusSA posted:

Mine hurt for like 18 hours on the first one, none on the second one because I was told to relax my arm and he massaged my shoulder. The Moderna doses are 3x the size of Pfizer is also probably another thing. Anyone know the size of flu vaccines?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

xcheopis posted:

Shingrix shot hurt more than Moderna.

I've heard that one in particular is quite a doozy of a vaccination.

But that shingles is much worse. I'm pretty drat jealous that kids these days don't have to go through chicken pox and as a result won't have the same risk of shingles that I have.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Xaintrailles posted:

Do you want to be the unlucky rear end in a top hat who catches it whilst vaccinated and ends up fathering the vaccine-beating variant? Maybe it's a billion to one, but if you're playing the lottery with the planet at all you should be getting something special out of it and not just a trip to TGI Fridays.

This is not a valid concern. If you are vaccinated don't let people who are searching for excuses to not go back to normal life deter you.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Dose 2 of Moderna coming my way in about 90 minutes, I cannot wait.

I dodged a huge outbreak at work thanks to my first dose, being vigilant with my mask and handwashing, and taking a week off last week (1 guy brought it in and spread it to 3 more people immediately, now the first 4 people are back in the office but 10 more people are out).

All I want for now is to hug my parents.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

MarcusSA posted:

I don’t think you roll a 1 in 10 though is what I meant.

You’ll be fine anyway.

My post was surely not exactly correct in the mechanism of how a breakthrough case could happen - I don't think it works quite like the DM telling you to roll a D20 and compare it to your vaccine score when your player character takes their mask off - the larger point was trying to get across that you'd have to be really unlucky to get a breakthrough case especially with another layer of vaccinated people between you and the most concerning threat.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I also want to hug this guys parents.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
The situation in Sweden, regarding vaccinations, is absolutely horrible.

The date for estimated full vaccinations for everyone has been pushed back from mid june, to mid August, and now to early September. Meanwhile, we're also wasting doses because lots of old people (65+) are declining the Astra Zeneca one, evidently not understanding numbers at all. ~2% risk of death if I catch the virus, vs 20 in a million chance of blood clots from the vaccine? Sign me up for Virusville!

Meanwhile, younger people who understand how statistics work, can't get that one, because it's only given to old people. So, wasted doses.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Mozi posted:

This is not a valid concern. If you are vaccinated don't let people who are searching for excuses to not go back to normal life deter you.

My ex-wife L had her claim for medical based benefits turned down because a nurse thought she was faking her neck pain “just because the claimant’s sisters have a genetic condition it does not mean she does too”.

She want to court on appeal after she had had a scan on her spine and the pictures very clearly showed she was walking around with a partially fused spine and broken neck. The judge asked the nurse what she thought of this and the absolute Karen went “I wouldn’t be walking around if it were me!” L turned round and went “what do you expect me to do? Spend my life hiding under my bed and crying because I have pain?”

I think about this a lot whenever I see people talking about how they could never go back to normal when fully vaccinated.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

boar guy posted:

had no idea until today that i get 2 extra personal days and a $100 gift card from work, for getting vaxxed :) score

I thought this thread was too full of hysterical women for you to participate

Thoughtless posted:

The situation in Sweden, regarding vaccinations, is absolutely horrible.

The date for estimated full vaccinations for everyone has been pushed back from mid june, to mid August, and now to early September. Meanwhile, we're also wasting doses because lots of old people (65+) are declining the Astra Zeneca one, evidently not understanding numbers at all. ~2% risk of death if I catch the virus, vs 20 in a million chance of blood clots from the vaccine? Sign me up for Virusville!

Meanwhile, younger people who understand how statistics work, can't get that one, because it's only given to old people. So, wasted doses.

I hope yall switch to "gently caress it we got'em" end of the day jabs like we started doing over here, and soon.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
If Chuds would take the vaccines we wouldn't be worried at all! But yeah, gotta live your life, a year wasted already, and I mean it, I missed Thanksgiving, Christmas, my dads Bday, etc.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We learned in the U.K. that you can have it almost under control then WHAM new super strong variant just causes a humongous second wave and we get thrown back into lockdown, so god freaking drat, we had one death here today because of the success of our vaccine program so you better bet we are talking advantage of stuff opening up again - don’t want to regret not leaving the house and have a vaccine resistant strain hit us.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm a loser so my life didn't change too much. :shrug:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I stopped drinking for about six months and lost a bunch of weight. :unsmith:

Then I started again and gained some of it back.